MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Scuba Review - Apeks XTX200

Scuba Review - Apeks XTX200

Scuba Review - Apeks XTX200

Post Number:#1  Postby ScubaholicsAnonymous » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Review courtesy of Jenia from Scuba Review http://scubareview.org/

Apeks XTX200 Review - 14 July 2009

I have just added a review of the Apeks XTX200 regulator, which is probably one of the best regulators in the world.

I’ve bought my Apeks XTX200 around 2 months ago and I can truthfully say that it is the BEST regulator that I have ever used. The Apeks XTX200 the flagship of Apeks’ line of regulators (currently replacing the older but similar ATX200). As of today I have made around 15 dives with it and has performed perfectly in all conditions. All of my dives with the Apeks XTX200 have been technical dives up to a depth of around 75 meters (246 feet) and it was used as my primary regulator on the twin cylinders setup. I have also did wreck penetration dives with it. It breathes so easily that it’s hard to compare to any other high-end regulator that I’ve dived with. Even at great depth and in extreme physical activity with high heart rate it breathes as easily as on the surface.

The ease of breathing is not the only advantage of the XTX200. Apeks is a highly reliable manufacturer (now owned by Aqualung) and it is well known for it’s seamless reputation as a manufacturer of high-end regulators. Located in the UK, Apeks is well known for manufacturing regulators that are well adjusted for cold water and extreme weather diving. Although I didn’t dive in frozen water with it yet, I’m pretty sure that if I had to chose a regulator to take to the northern see with me, the XTX200 would be my reg of choice.

The Apeks XTX200 was tested by Scubalab on the ANSTI Breathing simulator and has scored a perfect score! A perfect 5 (on a 2 to 5 scale) in all 4 categories. By the way, the cheaper XTX50 has also scored a perfect score on this test!
Here’s a little info on that ANSTI Machine (from Scuba Diving Magazine):
“The ANSTI machine is the international industry standard for scientifically evaluating a regulator’s performance. It measures a regulator’s work of breathing (WOB) in joules per liter (j/l) for each complete inhale/exhale cycle. We test regulators at four different RMV/depth combinations (RMV stands for Respiratory Minute Volumes, basically the amount of gas that can be ventilated through the lungs in one minute). All simulator tests are performed at a supply pressure of 725-760 psi. If a regulator can perform well at this supply pressure, it will perform as well or better at higher supply pressures.”

The XTX200 first stage is very comfortably built, featuring 4 angled medium pressure ports and 2 angled high pressure ports. Of course, it is environmentally sealed.
The second stage is has adjustable cracking control (This feature adjusts the spring load on the poppet vavle assembly and varies the cracking resistance. This can be adjusted during the dive to suit individual diver preference.), it is pneumatically balanced and it can easily be converted from right to left hand hose configuration, there’s an optional hose swivel connection. The knob is extremely large and can be easily adjusted during the dive, even while wearing 7mm gloves.

Specifications

First Stage

* Compact one piece body
    * 4 angled medium pressure ports, 4 x 3/8? UNF
    * 2 angled high pressure ports, 2 x 7/16? UNF
    * Environmentally dry sealed system
    * Attractive black and luxurious satin silver chrome finish
    * Balanced for superior performance
    * Removable ARCAP valve seat

Second Stage

* Adjustable cracking control
    * Integrated venturi control
    * Pneumatically balanced valve design
    * Micro Adjuster
    * Suitable for cold water use
    * Bright Chrome Finish
    * Right or Left hand hose configuration
    * Metal Inserted front cover
    * New Optional Extra Hose Swivel connection
    * Changeable Exhaust Tees (DCE, Diver Changeable Exhaust) (Both sets supplied)
    * Identical to the XTX100 except for model number decal
    * Nitrox versions available
www.scubaholicsanonymous.com
exclusive dealer for: Oxycheq / Liquivision / Aqua Lung / Apeks / Suunto / Miflex Hoses / Inon / Ikelite / I-Das / OmniSwivel / Bladefish / IQ / Light & Motion
ScubaholicsAnonymous
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author
Topics: 2

Re: Scuba Review - Apeks XTX200

Post Number:#2  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:30 pm

bro, need ur opinion,
if you were to compare the new xtx200 and let say the old atx200 tungsten or ur black pearl, which one would you stick to?
what I would like to know is if there is enough of a difference between the two regs, the new and old.
any feedback would be appreciated! :hello:
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby Sicko » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:54 pm

mamakpenang wrote:bro, need ur opinion,
if you were to compare the new xtx200 and let say the old atx200 tungsten or ur black pearl, which one would you stick to?
what I would like to know is if there is enough of a difference between the two regs, the new and old.
Performance is similiar. No discernable difference on WOB by user.

So it's a matter of which looks better to you.
Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby ScubaholicsAnonymous » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:16 am

mamakpenang wrote:bro, need ur opinion,

All Apeks FSR 1st stage on TX200, ATX200, ATX200 Tungsten, ATX200 Black Pearl, XTX200, XTX200 Tungsten & XTX200 Status are the SAME. Only difference is the cosmetics and perhaps technology improvements on the 2nd stages based on requirements of technical divers today.
The legendary FSR 1st stage has never changed for 40 years, so this proves that it's one hell of an awesome 1st stage! The world's BEST Tec/Rec regulator.

From 2004 - 2008 i used the Apeks TX50/DST, in 2009 - 2010 i used the XTX200 Tungsten, today i'm using 2 sets...TX40/DS4 & ATX200 Black Pearl :)

Btw, if you are interested to own an Apeks regulator, i have an ATX100 with TX40 octo for sale. Comes with SPG as well. One of my collections.
The ATX100 is now only available and made for the British Navy. This truly is a collectors item as well.
exclusive dealer for: Oxycheq / Liquivision / Aqua Lung / Apeks / Suunto / Miflex Hoses / Inon / Ikelite / I-Das / OmniSwivel / Bladefish / IQ / Light & Motion
ScubaholicsAnonymous
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby yeekeong » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:54 pm

how much are these going for?
yeekeong
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby ApeQ » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:36 am

:icon_thumright:
ApeQ
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 5

Post Number:#7  Postby ScubaholicsAnonymous » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:45 am

yeekeong wrote:how much are these going for?

Apeks XTX200 1st & 2nd stage - RRSP RM 2690
Apeks XTX200 Status 1st & 2nd stage - RRSP RM 2999

For more info and "special" price, please contact me @ 012-212-7909 :)
ScubaholicsAnonymous
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Return to Regulators