MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - O-Ring burst

O-Ring burst

O-Ring burst

Post Number:#1  Postby sealion » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:06 am

I'd face this problem several time during my last trip to Mabul/Sipadan. The O-Ring on the tank valve was burst several times after I fixed my first stage on it & open the air knob. It was happened on the boat; on the surface before descent & at 14m depth (after each burst the O-ring was replaced with new one). It takes several minutes before it burst after the air knob was opened.
For info I'm using Apollo reg (1st stage -Aluminium body). After complaining to the Dive Centre they said it is may be due to faulty on my 1st stage. The surface that fixed to the O-ring is not even or smooth. According to them, it happened before to the group of divers that using the same brand reg. like mine. They had to replace the O-rings approximately 50x. I never face this problem using the same reg. before.
Please anybody who have experience/knowledge to give some advices that we can share together (anybody using Apollo reg. here?). Thanks! :)
I'm not that GOOD!
But I do have an ATTITUDE! He! He!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: O-Ring burst

Post Number:#2  Postby 40bar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:13 pm

Hi Lokman!!..what i'm suggested do return to dealer and make F&Q as well..so you will be know that what's the problem..and i think there's less peeps using these stuff..what's my opinion...or you make sure you have to bring along the heavy duty o-ring once you go for diving

'pergi tenggol ke'
www.snradventure.com
The foremost outdoor, event consultant & training developments
40bar
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#3  Postby sealion » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:10 pm

thanks 40bar! I plan to do so, but b'fr that I want some advice fr any MUWian expert. I know there is so many experts here isn't it? That is the purpose that we have this forum.
About Tenggol, I love to go, but my schedule is a bit tight this month. Hope to see U again on some other trip! bye! ;)
I'm not that GOOD!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby Snafu » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:55 am

Have a look at ur 1st stage n see if there r damage to the sealing face that touches the o-ring.

Most of the time is the low quality of O-Ring being use which is for hydraulic instead of gas.

Some cylinder K-valves are using the thicker O-ring and some thin O-ring ..... do check on which type of valve the O-ring burst often.

You can always bring your Regulator Set to Rainbow Runner in Ampang for the technician check on it, they are after all the Agent for Apollo Products.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#5  Postby sealion » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:29 am

thank you Syed! I,ve never face this problem before, but only at that specific Dive Centre! I don't know whether they're using a low quality O-ring or the tank valve was damage or may be it's due to my damage reg. The surface that contacted to the O-ring seem normal (through my observation) with no scratch or defect. Anyhow I will go to Rainbowrunner as I bought it fr there. Thanks for your good advice. :)
I'm not that GOOD!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby Snafu » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:59 pm

sealion wrote:thank you Syed! I,ve never face this problem before, but only at that specific Dive Centre! I don't know whether they're using a low quality O-ring or the tank valve was damage or may be it's due to my damage reg. The surface that contacted to the O-ring seem normal (through my observation) with no scratch or defect. Anyhow I will go to Rainbowrunner as I bought it fr there. Thanks for your good advice. :)

I m pretty sure there is nothing wrong with your 1st stage.

Do update us about your regulator 1st stage once Rainbow Runner technician check it.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#7  Postby reen » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:19 pm

ooo sealion...mee too juuuuuuuust came back from sipadan/mabul..
i think its the oring..cheap one..
my one burst 2 times..one in the boat...and the other one on the surface bfr decent.
nothing wrong with the 1st stage..
the o-ring just couldn't stand the pressure.
not only me but most of my frenz encounter the same problem...one of us even
had 3 burst from a 10 minit ride frm our chalet to the dive site.
reen

Post Number:#8  Postby sealion » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:53 am

reen, which chalet/dive centre did you stay? Please PM me so that we will be more careful for future trip. Maybe it's because of the o-ring.
syed k.a, I will update this afterward.
;)
I'm not that GOOD!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby 40bar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:20 pm

sealion,...solve your problem?
www.snradventure.com
The foremost outdoor, event consultant & training developments
40bar
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#10  Postby EmJay » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:04 pm

SeaLion,
Problem answer already, so see u in Tenggol this month end, to confirm the problem is gone. :D
"It better to ligth a candle than to curse the darkness"
EmJay
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby sealion » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:38 pm

40bar I'm going to servive my reg soon. I'll let you know!!

emjay, sorry I can't joint you all at Tenggol due to busy scedule. Hope to joint you all on another trip. Nice diving with you all. See you!
I'm not that GOOD!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby WATERCOW » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:19 pm

I am actually on my way back from Tawau airport now, after 6d/5n in mabul. Rather unfortunately, we have encountered the same problem. The o-ring just pop one after the other like fire cracker, ever sometime we replace 2 or 3. The DC also claimed that is due to my apollo regulator set, which I think is bull shit, because all the diver in the same trip encounter the same problem. The o-ring just burst soemtime as soon as we open the tank in the boat.

In the worst case, my buddy o-ring burst at 15m, and he was forced to swim back to the boat the very lousy surface condition.

We have a feeling all these are result of simple cost cutting that went too far. Will find out more, and share with you guys.

Sealion, dont mind pls PM the DC name to me, to confirm if we are talking about the same DC here.
WATERCOW
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby sealion » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:34 am

Hi everybody!
I just came back from Rainbow Runner to check my reg. The technician said nothing wrong with my reg. Everything's ok. The conclusion here is the defect o-ring been used at the DC and the dented tank valve. They're really want to cut cost!! [-(

Watercow, as we were experienced this from the same DC I think we should reveals the DC name to everybody in this forum as this involves  a safety!! Imagine me & your friend too, experiencing the burst o-ring at 14-15 mtrs depth. I don't bother to abort the dive, but I don' want to loss my live just because of somebody want to cut around the corner. :angry4: Syed K.A , do you think we should reveals this in this forum. I leave it to you as you're the moderator :).

One more thing, by comparing the o-ring which had been used by the DC & the one that I bought from RRunner as spare (for next trip for precaution), I can see the difference. The DC used a very soft rubber like, oil-ring not o-ring for gas as mentioned by reen.
Last edited by sealion on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not that GOOD!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby WATERCOW » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:37 pm

Dear sealion, I have no problem to give up the name here in public, for the sake of safety. The problem of o-ring burst underwater is no just a possibility, but actually happened to us at the worst possible surface condition for emergency ascent.  But again, whatever outcomes we have found does not come with supportive evidence, just mere speculation. 

I would therefore prefer not to give up name. but anyone who wish to know the name of the resort, can PM me. Personally after this incident, I have decided no to go back to this DC in future. I prefer al-cheapo trip, but no compromising on my little life I have enjoyed so far.
WATERCOW
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby sealion » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:40 am

you're right watercow! :) Anybody want to know the DC can PM me also! ;)
I'm not that GOOD!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Return to Regulators