MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Aqualung Mikron... Any Feedback Or Reviews?

Aqualung Mikron... Any Feedback Or Reviews?

Aqualung Mikron... Any Feedback Or Reviews?

Post Number:#1  Postby kenfua » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi all,
Been shopping for a new reg and saw the new Aqualung Mikron on display in SD. It looks great and I'm considering to increase my budget to get it since it's a long term investment. Problem is that it's so new that I can't find proper reviews online for it. So far I've only heard that it's small and very light. Also that some of the parts are from other proven models.

Anyone seen any reviews on this reg?

I'm also comparing this to the Atomic B2. IF both were the same price which would you choose?
kenfua
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Aqualung Mikron... Any Feedback Or Reviews?

Post Number:#2  Postby Peter Griffin » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:18 pm

according to my local DS sales guy, it's a good breather, easy to clear, very lightweight and compact, the flexible hose is a nice touch as well, the regulator itself is almost neutrally bouyant(negative still)..however it is meant for the young adult and female diver..hence the small size..but i think it's a plus for us being asian..

but the biggest issue with small regulators is that they don't disperse the bubbles as good as their bigger counterparts. definitely a nuisance if ure an u/w photographer.

as for me, I'd go with the B2, if memory serves me right, it won the scubalab tester's choice in 2006.(correct me if i'm wrong)
R U wet yet?
Peter Griffin
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby kenfua » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed the current deal on the Atomic B2 is quite a bargain. It won great reviews and awards. The current deal includes a SS1 and that saves me buying a Oct as well. But that would mean I can't travel without my BCD!
kenfua
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby Bear Diver » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:18 pm

3 of my dive buddies bought the mikron, tested and its good. light and small, good mouth piece.. but whatever the reviews are, its still a high-end reg. remember its aqua lung...
Bear Diver
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:14 pm

I have just come back from a dive trip using my brand new Mikron set as I had sold my "other brand" of a small reg set with no regrets.

I found it extremely light and the diver adjustable feature is really sensitive and great to use. In fact, the 2nd stage is so light that when I took it out of my mouth on a couple of times, I had to "look" for it as I, being used to the arm sweep method of locating a dislodged 2nd stage, had to get used to it being just there right in front of me.

Being fully balanced on the 1st & 2nd stages, breathing was easy at depth and in all sorts of funny positions as well.

Being Aqua Lung, you will have no problems in getting it serviced anywhere in the world and parts are easily available.

Overall, I personally rate it 4.5 out of 5 as a reg set and good value for the price.

I use a SS1 as an Oct so did not have the Mikron one and so no comment on that as with the mouthpiece as I use a Jax mouthpiece.

Will be using my Aqua Lung Mistral Twin Hose reg on my next trip so will see how that goes....
Last edited by Scuba Dynamics on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Dive Anytime, Anywhere**
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Location: 32-2, Jalan 27/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Number:#6  Postby FireDragon » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:51 pm

Uncle Dynamics, any problems with bubble dispersion?
FireDragon
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:05 pm

Not really but as Peter Griffin rightly said, bubbles will appear in front of your face due to the short exhaust Tee but I found that it was just easy to tilt my head slightly to one direction to let the bubbles float away with no bother whatsoever. I see this as a small sacrifice in exchange for the otherwise excellent set. Come by for a lookie and see for yourself lar...
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#8  Postby derek » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:03 pm

Scuba Dynamics wrote:I have just come back from a dive trip using my brand new Mikron set as I had sold my "other brand" of a small reg set with no regrets.

Uncle henry,

Just out of curiosity, what is the other Brand reg that you sold??? :D :D :D :D :D
derek
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:13 pm

Just to satisfy your curiosity, it was NOT my ScubaPro set as that set has been loved by me and I still miss it  :crybaby2: :crybaby2:
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Return to Regulators