MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Sherwood SR-1

Sherwood SR-1

Sherwood SR-1

Post Number:#1  Postby Peter Griffin » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Sherwood SR-1(image from akona site)

Been eyeing on this reg for a while, they say(LDS) it breathes as good as Apeks XTX200, looks nicer than Apeks too(at least to me). Is there anyone here who's tried this reg? Store owner/Sherwood sole distributor? Care to give a review?

*thinking of buying a second set of regs*
R U wet yet?
Peter Griffin
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Sherwood SR-1

Post Number:#2  Postby MT_Tanc » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:47 am

saw this at Rec N Tec.1st 2nd stage very light weight.
A good woman will do 70 chores around the house. Cooking and 69
MT_Tanc
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby KatakpiNC » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:59 pm

Similar to that of Atomic Reg. Came from the same OEM in US. Price is much cheaper compare to Atomic B2. Drop by at REC 'N' TEC to view..
Go Down Longer..........
KatakpiNC
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby syamdive » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:31 pm

can the hose go underarm like the maximus? does it cost more than maximus?
syamdive
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#5  Postby chocolate » Mon May 05, 2008 5:23 pm

hi divers,
i have this set of regulator, sherwood sr1. just bought. apparently there is something weird with the hose cnnection, something not in order, or maybe i am not familiar with this. anyone who has this regulator, could u pls post a pic showing how does yr sr1 look like?

i have tried to use this reg during my pool session in cheras yesterday. it works well even with the different way of hose connection order.

thank you!
the secret of life is enjoying the passage of time good chocolate ;)
chocolate
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby bijan » Mon May 05, 2008 10:49 pm

chocolate wrote:hi divers,
i have this set of regulator, sherwood sr1. just bought. apparently there is something weird with the hose cnnection, something not in order, or maybe i am not familiar with this. anyone who has this regulator, could u pls post a pic showing how does yr sr1 look like?

i have tried to use this reg during my pool session in cheras yesterday. it works well even with the different way of hose connection order.

thank you!

why not u take a picture of yours? those familiar with it can comment if there's anything wrong with it
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#7  Postby Peter Griffin » Tue May 06, 2008 3:03 am

this one is a rotating turret model if i'm not mistaken..A general guideline...try to rotate it around couple of times and alter the connection if you can(u're gonna be needing a wrench and a little bit of elbow grease), as with all rotating turret models, it can be a bit confusing. Imagination plays a role in visualizing where the lp hose, spg and regs should go. Try to refer to the manual as well.

Do post ur view and comment about the regulator,i.e. ease of breathing, ergonomic, appearance. I'm sure most of us would like to know about this new product, I know I do. Some pictures would be nice too!
R U wet yet?
Peter Griffin
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby reen » Tue May 06, 2008 11:23 am

before buying it try to test it with a tank attach.
this because when i see chocolate model..since the ports are on a 360 degree swivel
the hose kinda stuck in between the tank and the din nut.
further more you need to get use with the position of the reg port and octo port.
try to play regulator recovery more often.
below is the correct up down position when you attach the stage with the din
~really u got to use imagination when you want to set it up~
Last edited by reen on Tue May 06, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reen

Post Number:#9  Postby chocolate » Wed May 07, 2008 1:44 pm

hi divers,

obviously the sherwood logo on the first stage reg has to be on top, rite?

I am a bit worry as the top part of the first stage is made from rubber and the possibility of something sharp to poke into it and causes damage to the reg (?)

it is not only the ports are on a 360 degree swivel, even the knob with the din nut is also on a 360 degree swivel (other reg is also the same?) so, it would not make the tank valve stuck under it. B-) that day i didnt realize this feature! erggg  :$

i have no idea about the hose stuck in between the tank and the din part. (should take a pic of how the scuba unit looks like on me!). but i have no problem recovering the regulator underwater.

it is lightweight and the second stage has a unit they call a SMART demand lever (hope it is reallly smart). anyone has idea about this function?

pls have a look at my reg and the hose connections.

thanks for all feedbacks.
chocolate
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby Peter Griffin » Wed May 07, 2008 9:22 pm

The connections look about right. There should be no problem. As far as i know, most (if not all) of dry/environmentally sealed first stage regulators have these rubber part, the external diaphragm, it's what you call it. Dont worry, it is durable and it is also a standard replacement kit (meaning u have to replace it during the annual overhaul; under the technician's assessment of course!) and if u happen to break it, don't fret as it's not hard to get it replaced.

I dont know much about the SMART demand lever, it says on the official website that it reacts to depressurization and relieves the load off of the pressure seat. I assume it's a good feature. Adjustable regulators tend to "eat-up" the pressure seat if u forget to turn the adjustment knob all the way out during long period of storage.
R U wet yet?
Peter Griffin
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby Nizaha » Thu May 08, 2008 2:00 am

the Sherwood logo not really need to be on top, You still can upside down the 1st, still will give you same performance breathing.

The rubber protection on top of the 1st actually just protect the adjustment screw for intermediate pressure. When you bought the this regulator before, I assume the staff at the store show you the complete rotation the hoses to this 1st stage !! did the staff at the store assemble the hoses for you or you do it yourself??

The only comment from you setup is, You can move your low pressure hoses( BCD hoses) to front port. Look nicer and well rotate..

Safe diving
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby aquaholic » Thu May 08, 2008 8:20 am

The most common config I have seen using this shape of 1st stage is with the turret on top and the flat part (i.e. logo) at the bottom.
Reason being is that there is not much room for the turret and hoses to rotate in the down position because it will be obstructed by the tank. If you plan to use it this way I think you might need to reposition your SPG hose.

When fixing the 1st stage just remember to have the turret on top and simply rotate the turret until you get the regs on the right hand side. 
aquaholic
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby chocolate » Wed May 14, 2008 10:38 am

thank you divers,
i have reviewd all the feedbacks and PMs, and found some useful infos on this matter. i should hv aggreed with some of you, and would try this reg again on this sat during my pool session. thanks again! :hello:
chocolate
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby Mixalis Altous » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:35 am

hi! i've been using the SR-1 for a couple of months now (8 dives to be more accurate) and i'm not very satisfied by its performance. when i tend to go sideways or upside down the regulator doesn't seem to work at all, sometimes it even supplies water instead of air! any of u guys experienced this before? any advice?
Mixalis Altous
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby Mixalis Altous » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:34 pm

small update, i took my regulator (sherwood sr1) back to the dealer last week & today i got a call from him saying that the reason it was leaking water is because of the mouth piece. He says he accidently gave me the woman's version   :dontknow:
so he offered to get me a new set (regulator + 1st stage). any of u experienced divers hv anything to say abt this?
Mixalis Altous
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby reen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:38 am

My fren had the same problem during dive at sipadan with SR-1
I check the cable tight around the mouth piece and it was tight.
I tried using her SR during one of the dive and it was leaking only
when i tried to do the upside down position.
Though the leaking was not all that bad.
I recommend her to send her SR back to the shop to check the setting again.
reen

Post Number:#17  Postby Mixalis Altous » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:43 pm

Yea the leaking is not that bad. But sherwood claims that the SR1 will work perfectly in any way u use it. Even the reviews i read online gave it a 5/5 rating. So there's definetly something wrong with it.
Still waiting for the dealer to call. Will update u ASAP.
Mixalis Altous
Diver
Diver

Return to Regulators