MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Long regulator hose vs short regulator hose

Long regulator hose vs short regulator hose

Long regulator hose vs short regulator hose

Post Number:#1  Postby irukandji » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:34 am

I'm currently in the dillema of changing my main regulator hose to a 6 or 7 footer hose ala DIR. I dont like my current short hose protuding out from the streamline shape.

What do you guys/girls have to say about this? Anyone here using a long hose? Or I shall stick to the short hose?  :)
The Ocean is Calling, Let's go DIVING!
irukandji
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author
Topics: 9

Re: Long regulator hose vs short regulator hose

Post Number:#2  Postby bijan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:41 am

calling aquaholic..hehhee
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:49 am

its up to you man.. it's mainly to diff ur spare.
but personally i prefer the shorter hose. i have the fear of ppl pulling my reg out of my mouth  :D (too jahat dulu)
Sex is like math...
add the bed, substract the clothes, divide the legs & pray U don't multiply...
kimseng the maverick rogue
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#4  Postby Spazm » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:54 am

irukanji wrote:I'm currently in the dillema of changing my main regulator hose to a 6 or 7 footer hose ala DIR. I dont like my current short hose protuding out from the streamline shape.

What do you guys/girls have to say about this? Anyone here using a long hose? Or I shall stick to the short hose?  :)

Unless you have asthma and bad air consumption.....I do not see the need for a 7 footer hose...you can check with SeaTimunSD...
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#5  Postby LaraCroft » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:58 am

Spazm wrote:
irukanji wrote:I'm currently in the dillema of changing my main regulator hose to a 6 or 7 footer hose ala DIR. I dont like my current short hose protuding out from the streamline shape.

Unless you have asthma and bad air consumption.....I do not see the need for a 7 footer hose...you can check with SeaTimunSD...

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:
Get busy livin' or Get busy divin'
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#6  Postby mocha » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Spazm wrote:

hahahahaha.... bitch... hahaha
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#7  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:06 pm

Spazm wrote:

OI!

But why would you want to use a long hose? It is such a hassle to use, and a hassle for the boatman trying to lift your BCD onto the boat.

Even I use short hose on a technical dive in open water; I only use long hose if I plan to do wreck or penetration. Other than that, long hose serves no purpose except when, as one DMT put it to me, I have asthma and bad air consumption.  No connection or correlation there.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:10 pm

Spazm wrote:

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: good one...
Sex is like math...
add the bed, substract the clothes, divide the legs & pray U don't multiply...
kimseng the maverick rogue
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#9  Postby Spazm » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:18 pm

On a more serious note...I do not see any need for a 7 footer hose unless you are planning to do lot's of penetration dives in tight spaces...

Unless of course you have the moolah to waste...and wana impress the ladies with your "7 footer"..:P (hhhmm....no wonder lah all the ladies falling at SD's fins..:P)
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#10  Postby dp » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:11 pm

Spazm wrote:On a more serious note...I do not see any need for a 7 footer hose unless you are planning to do lot's of penetration dives in tight spaces...

Unless of course you have the moolah to waste...and wana impress the ladies with your "7 footer"..:P (hhhmm....no wonder lah all the ladies falling at SD's fins..:P)

Dang.. my 5-foot sausage is not enuf ka? SeaTimun better start tuition classes on his trade secrets, then.

irukanji, having the 7-footer will make you more streamlined indeed. and unless you have been very jahat (like as what kimseng sed he was once upon a time) and have this fear of ur reg being pulled by other divers who seek revenge or u are doing technical), stay with the short hose.

And if it still protrudes, try shortening the hose even more.
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#11  Postby I-NSC » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:29 pm

I went with 5ft hose instead of 7ft for the following purposes.
1) streamlined my hose system
2) 7ft hose needs to either go in-between your body and your waist strap or under a canister light

Logic for using 5ft hose,
In a case of OOA situation, the victim whom you might be the nearest will not be waiting for you to take your alternative sorce out for him/her, they go for the one in your mouth. By all means, I will let the person use it. The 2nd stage is working fine and you will not worry about having secondary problems of failure on that regulator.
While he takes your regulator away, the hose is long enough for both of you to keep distance, just in case he comes and grabs you or whatever.
At the same time my alternative source is dangled round my neck which I know where it is and just need to tilt my head down to pick it up.

Simple proceedures but good to use when needed.
Other than that, yes it is a pain in the a** to use long hose, you need to use lots of bolt snaps to hold it to your system else it would be dragging on the sand if you do not secure it.

My milo peng worth..
www.i-nsc.net
www.divebooks.net
I-NSC
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Return to Regulators