MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - My Octopus and Regulator give free flow air

My Octopus and Regulator give free flow air

My Octopus and Regulator give free flow air

Post Number:#1  Postby sealion » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:42 pm

I went to the pool session on last weekend to polish up diving skill and to test my new equipment! But I was really frustrated after a few minutes I went down my octopus gave a problem. The air blown out continuously. I cant stop it even after I knocked it hard. I went up and check the octopus, it stop for a while and after that the air continue to flow. When it stop my regulator start to give free flow air then. It seem like the pressure comes from the first stage was very high.
I don,t know eigther the first stage or the second stage is the problem. Can any body give me an advices. Thanks
I'm not that GOOD!
But I do have an ATTITUDE! He! He!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: My Octopus and Regulator give free flow air

Post Number:#2  Postby ikan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:32 pm

when is the last time u got the set services bro?

if its just recently, take it back to him/her/them and tell them to recheck and question them on their procedure and please do make sure he is certify in doing what he is doing ....

if it have been a year since the last service, send it for servicing again ...
if u are going to be dumb, u better be tough ....
ikan
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#3  Postby tulip » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:35 pm

i thot it's new? can't u send it back to the store and ask them?  [-( [-(
err... huh?
tulip
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#4  Postby HoleMaster » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:40 pm

Is ur second stage faced upwards when u were entering the water? The reg should be faced downwards ie mouthpiece to the water. If its upward it will tend to free flow. Also to stop from free flowing just push ur finger into the mouthpiece, no need to knock it. It should stop. If it also fails, u should send for servicing and checking. The technician could either adjust ur 2nd stage by just a simple turn of a screw or there may be problem of the seat in the first stage which needs to be replaced
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#5  Postby Snafu » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:08 am

sealion wrote:I went to the pool session on last weekend to polish up diving skill and to test my new equipment! But I was really frustrated after a few minutes I went down my octopus gave a problem. The air blown out continuously. I cant stop it even after I knocked it hard. I went up and check the octopus, it stop for a while and after that the air continue to flow. When it stop my regulator start to give free flow air then. It seem like the pressure comes from the first stage was very high.
I don,t know eigther the first stage or the second stage is the problem. Can any body give me an advices. Thanks

Please send it back to the place you bought it.

Could be the IP setting is high ...... it does happen to new regulator.

Do let us know of the outcome.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#6  Postby sealion » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:41 am

Thanks for your reply bro & sis!
Ikan & Tulip, actually this is my new regulator. I,ve just bought it on the last August and used it for 10 dive only (APOLO reg with bio filter and moisterising pad).
Holemaster, of course I put my second stage mouthpiece in my mouth, only the octopus I tied it to the right side of my BCD. I was not sure wether it faced upwards or downwards. At teh begining it was ok, until a few minutes later I heard the "popping" sound from my octopus and I saw the air flowing out vigorously fr it. At the beginning I tried to put my hand on the mouthpiece, but the air didn't stop flowing. Then I tried to knock it delicately, but it still didn't work until I surfaced. May be the problem is with the first stage like what you said. Thanks for advices buddy!
Snaffu, I will send it back to the shop where I'd bought it. I will let you know the outcome soon! Thanks so much!
I'm not that GOOD!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby ikan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:45 am

well if it is a new reg .. u better send it back to get the IP retune ...
if u are going to be dumb, u better be tough ....
ikan
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#8  Postby sealion » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:57 am

thanks ikan! Any latest news about our Sipadan Trip?
I'm not that GOOD!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:16 pm

sealion wrote:Holemaster, of course I put my second stage mouthpiece in my mouth, only the octopus I tied it to the right side of my BCD.

If u read properly, i didnt mentioned that. Obviously u put ur mouthpiece in ur mouth. My question is whether the mouthpiece is faced up or downwards?
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#10  Postby MACHA » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi can you tell us the Apollo Reg model you are using...its kinda strange to hear brand new reg gets free flow..maybe the IP is high, a normal/ standard regulator Intermediate Pressure ( IP ) reading is about 7-10 BAR..but for overbalanced reg eg.Aqua-Lung Legend & some Apeks..might reach higher than 10 BAR but must only fit with their only suitable 2nd Stage & Octo which was design for it( pls. refer shop sales for info ).
If you got it from R.Runner ( Plaza Berjaya ) get Ujang or Hans to show you how it works & info of calibrating your regs...just say Brickfields fella MACHA....settle :D
"A man needs a little madness or he never breaks the rope and goes free"......Zorba
MACHA
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#11  Postby sealion » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:32 am

HoleMaster wrote:
sealion wrote:Holemaster, of course I put my second stage mouthpiece in my mouth, only the octopus I tied it to the right side of my BCD.

If u read properly, i didnt mentioned that. Obviously u put ur mouthpiece in ur mouth. My question is whether the mouthpiece is faced up or downwards?

sorry Mr Holemaster! I'd read so fast, missunderstood of what you meant. Actually I got in the water slowly that time (using the stairs at Cheras pool) not by giant stride nor backroll. I'm not really sure probably my face facing foward and the regulator positioned horizontally not upwards nor downwards. The problem came on my octopus first. Only after I surfaced, unscrew my octopus and press the screw inside, the air stopped blowing from the octopus but then my regulator giving the free flow air. Its seem like the internal presure is so high escape automatically from the valve. Sorry I just guest cause I'm not really expert on this technical things. May be you have some advice.
Last edited by sealion on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not that GOOD!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby sealion » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:38 am

MACHA wrote:Hi can you tell us the Apollo Reg model you are using...its kinda strange to hear brand new reg gets free flow..maybe the IP is high, a normal/ standard regulator Intermediate Pressure ( IP ) reading is about 7-10 BAR..but for overbalanced reg eg.Aqua-Lung Legend & some Apeks..might reach higher than 10 BAR but must only fit with their only suitable 2nd Stage & Octo which was design for it( pls. refer shop sales for info ).
If you got it from R.Runner ( Plaza Berjaya ) get Ujang or Hans to show you how it works & info of calibrating your regs...just say Brickfields fella MACHA....settle :D

Hi Macha I'm using Apollo Bio A110 AL with bio filter and bought it fr R.Runner. I'll meet Hans this morning and will mention your name. Thanks for helping! ;)
I'm not that GOOD!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby sealion » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:00 pm

I went to R.Runner this morning to have my regulator checked. According to Hans a water got into the first stage. I wonder how this can be happend to the new regulator.

Hans said, "It can be caused by the way/how I add water onto the moisterising pad. The moisterising pad shouldn't be too wet & should be installed just before the dive begin or at the same day, not the night before. When to start the dive I've to add water onto it (only 1/3 of the refill bottle). After adding the water I should immidiately open the tank valve to avoid the extra water from entering the first stage. However this is only the probability. Technically speaking, it's imposible for the water to seapping into the first stage unless there is something wrong with the rubber piece (seat) in the first stage".

Upon opening the first stage, it's found that there is a faulty on the seat and the rubber piece chipped. It then had been replaced and the 1st stage tuned. Hans said everything is okay. I dont have to pay anything because it's still under warranty. I've to test it again in the pool.

Macha, I did mention ur name to Hans. He said u're his old best friend.
Snafu, I hope you're satisfy with my explanation and hope it can be helpful to anybody using the same regulator as mine.
Thanks also to Ikan, Tulip and Holemaster!  B-)
Last edited by sealion on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not that GOOD!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby HoleMaster » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:16 pm

Glad u had it solved...seat problem of which ive also highlighted earlier. Came across couple of divers before with that issue when their reg free flowed. As such its advisable to turn the tank knob slowly to prevent from faulty seat. Turning it too fast will result to high pressured air goin in abruptly into the 1st stage which will result in damaging the seat. Cheers!
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#15  Postby evo5555 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:30 am

I am using the same regulator for few years, but i did not face any problem with the moisturising pad.  Shall the pad has exessive water, when u breathe or purge it the water will come out through the 2nd stage regulator, and it is ok.  It will not flow back to the 1st stage. The japanese are not so lousy in their design afterall? :D  :D  :D  The problem may arise due to the rubber seat problem due to aging rubbers, or it could be due to improper rinsing and dust cap not closed properly when u dip the regulators into a tank of water. just my 2 cents

sealion wrote:I went to R.Runner this morning to have my regulator checked. According to Hans a water got into the first stage. I wonder how this can be happend to the new regulator.

Hans said, "It can be caused by the way/how I add water onto the moisterising pad. The moisterising pad shouldn't be too wet & should be installed just before the dive begin or at the same day, not the night before. When to start the dive I've to add water onto it (only 1/3 of the refill bottle). After adding the water I should immidiately open the tank valve to avoid the extra water from entering the first stage. However this is only the probability. Technically speaking, it's imposible for the water to seapping into the first stage unless there is something wrong with the rubber piece (seat) in the first stage".

Upon opening the first stage, it's found that there is a faulty on the seat and the rubber piece chipped. It then had been replaced and the 1st stage tuned. Hans said everything is okay. I dont have to pay anything because it's still under warranty. I've to test it again in the pool.

Macha, I did mention ur name to Hans. He said u're his old best friend.
Snafu, I hope you're satisfy with my explanation and hope it can be helpful to anybody using the same regulator as mine.
Thanks also to Ikan, Tulip and Holemaster!  B-)

evo5555
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby Snafu » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:43 am

sealion wrote:Snafu, I hope you're satisfy with my explanation and hope it can be helpful to anybody using the same regulator as mine.

Thanks Sealion!!!

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#17  Postby sealion » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:33 pm

evo5555 wrote:I am using the same regulator for few years, but i did not face any problem with the moisturising pad.  Shall the pad has exessive water, when u breathe or purge it the water will come out through the 2nd stage regulator, and it is ok.  It will not flow back to the 1st stage. The japanese are not so lousy in their design afterall? :D  :D  :D  The problem may arise due to the rubber seat problem due to aging rubbers, or it could be due to improper rinsing and dust cap not closed properly when u dip the regulators into a tank of water. just my 2 cents

thanks evo5555! If I have a problem with thi reg later on I will refer to U as U have been using this reg for 5 years aledy! Frankly speaking I like this reg b'cause it is comfort & smooth & furthermore my throat won't feel dry.
I'm not that GOOD!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Return to Regulators