MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Review on Regulator Moisturisers - Does it Work?

Review on Regulator Moisturisers - Does it Work?

Review on Regulator Moisturisers - Does it Work?

Post Number:#1  Postby BubbleBunny » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:39 pm

How many of you have felt that after breathing from your regulator during a dive, your throat gets unbearably dry and uncomfortable - so much so, you always have to try to gulp down the thick goo that builds up in your mouth just to ease the discomfort of a dry throat? (ok, that's kinda gross). But seriously, I think everyone has experienced this during dives.

UNLESS you use an air MOISTURISER. A WHAT you say?  :o

First of all, for those of you who are not familiar with the above, it's really just something that is supposed to reduce the dryness you feel when you breathe from a regulator during your dive. As you know, air that goes into your cylinder is dry to prevent moisture from aiding the corrosion of your tank, whether it's steel or aluminium. This usually results in us breathing dry air and further dehydrating our tracheas leading to some discomfort.

This really isn't that new, but most of us would be wondering "Does it work?" before we even contemplate forking out our year's Ang Paus to purchase a new moisturising regulator. The wife/husband might even give you evil looks if you sneaked into the savings jar for early Christmas presents.

So I've decided to put this little invention to the test so that you can make up your own minds on whether or not to buy one and risk getting the evil looks from your partners.  ;D

So the product is the Apollo Bio-Regulator Moisture System. BTW, I don't work for Apollo or its distributors and I'm not getting anything for this review. Just purely for the benefit of good reading for ppl who have more time in the office for forums than actual work  ;) ;D

As you can see, it's an Apollo Bio Regulator and made in Japan cos Japanese like coming up with bizarre things

Close-up of the Apollo first stage with its bio-filter in place

The Bio-Filter unit taken apart. We're only concerned with the Moisturiser so we won't go into detail on all the parts. the white cylindrical thing is the moisturiser Wick/Sponge. Note that you don't need any tools to disassemble the Bio-Filter unit - just some guy that can use his rough grubby hands to unscrew it for you (if you can't do it yourself)

Close-up of the Wick for you blind rabun people (like me)

Here, just run the wick/sponge under distilled/bottled water (recommended), squeeze so it's not dripping and re-assemble the unit with the MOISTENED wick.

VOILA! You are ready to dive knowing that your DCS risk is lessened because your dehydration is reduced cos you have a moist throat!  (NB. Just kidding - your risk of DCS is still the same as without the moisturiser) :D

VERDICT[/b

So is this a brilliant invention or just a marketing gimmick just to get you to pour the little savings you have into the pockets of profiteering corporations?

On a recent trip to Tioman, I deliberately dived 2 dives without a Bio-Filter and the 3rd dive, I dived WITH it. So the first 2 dives were really control mechanisms.

Dive 1&2 : Dry throat with thick buildup of phlegm in back of throat. Swallowing felt like little knives running down my trachea. (Normal for us anyway  8-))

Dive 3 : After having done the dry-throat dives, It was time to test out the holy grail of throat-mostening devices. At first, it did seem the same as the first 2 dives, but as time went by, I was pleasantly surprised that my throat didn't seem like it was being sanded down by sadistic carpenters. It was actually noticeably more comfortable than the first 2 dives. I'm NOT saying that it wasn't dry AT ALL. It was not AS DRY as the first dives and was not torture to swallow. Hmmm....not bad.

[b]CONCLUSION

Well, the Bio-Filter unit retails for almost USD200 (according to http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products ... filter.htm). Converted to Ringgit, is quite a lot. It all depends on personal preference. Is a dry throat enough to make you go out to spend USD200 on the unit? Some users are prone to seriously sore throats after a dive, and I can certainly see how this device can tempt those susceptible to sore throats to buy one. To others, dry throats are a norm in diving and can easily overlook the discomfort. So it really depends on the perception of Benefits vs. Cost, which is really an individual opinion and prerogative. 8-)

Now only if Apollo can give me a free regulator....... ;) ;)

Hope this was helpful. Comments are welcome.
BubbleBunny

Topic author

Re: Review on Regulator Moisturisers - Does it Wor

Post Number:#2  Postby deepblu » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:08 pm

ermm... i bring (when i remember la) hacks or any other mints when i go on dive trips.

(yes yes, bring on the 'hacks' joke)

it does not leave me feeling like someone had vigorously sandpapered my throat (before a paint job).

furthermore, it only costs 50sen for a pack of 3.

;D ;D ;D

having said that, i havent had the opportunity to try the bio filter. so i cant compare.

:)
Last edited by deepblu on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deepblu

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby IkanBilis » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:14 pm

Thanks for the review bud, very interesting. The concept looks simple enough, but effective. Wonder if can put some nicotine on the wick, so can smoke while diving...  :D :D

The connector looks a bit flimsy, and like u said does not require any tools to disassemble. In the pic, it looks like the bathroom hand shower connector, pretty flimsy. I just wonder what are the chances of it coming loose frm the 1st stage if subjected to knocks.
IkanBilis

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby evo5555 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Wow Beaver a review on Apollo bio-filter!hehe...Seems like u didnt use the filter after all yeah?hehe...

Anyway, this has been my 1st regulator set, which looks the exact same unit as reviewed, except mine is silver in color.  It comes with built in Apollo moisturiser.  As for my opinion, this moisturiser works for me. If you do refill the sponge with water every dive, the air that you suck in, would be warm moist air.  One could also refill the wick with Ribena, or coca cola if you want. ;D . Then you will get flavoured air, as some of the water could come into your second stage if the wick is really damp.  Then you will have flavoured 2nd stage.  

From my opinion as well, it kind of filters out funny kind of smell that you sometimes breathe through your tanks.  Hence, i would say you are breathing filtered moist air.

As for the construction of the regulator, i would say its quite sturdy and robust, and i have no problems at ll using the regulator.

Lastly, this moisturiser thingy, also reduces your post dive headaches for divers that suffers from headache when they dive.

Just my 2 cent
Last edited by evo5555 on Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evo5555

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby GOD » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:08 am

Thanks for the Product review BubbleBeaver & evo5555!!!!!!

I always wonder about this product but no chance to try it.

[highlight]Moisturise air [/highlight]... this would help ease throat discomfort feeling when doing multi dive a day for few days.

This product look small enough to travel without taking much space & weight.

[highlight]USD200[/highlight] ... hmmmmmmm is a small price to pay for throat comfort.

Next is to find out the selling price in Malaysia.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby najibest » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:15 am

Rainbowrunner carry this product if i'm not mistaken... check them out at www.rainbowrunner.net
najibest

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby leafbug » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:42 am

I'd say that it really helps to give me a smooth and "good feel" breathing using the moisturizer when I installed it a while ago. But there's one problem - it's not really meant for regulators other than Apollo, because of the design, it's made with a little "flexible" joint for you/boatmen to handle the regulator in the boat and after a while or if handled wrongly, the o-ring would leak water and it'll get into the 1st stage. It costs me RM170 bucks to "overhaul" my 1st stage :) and I've removed it from my reg now.

Other than that, it's a wonderful stuffs to have though deepblu's alternative worked almost exactly the same with a lot cheaper cost :D
Last edited by leafbug on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
leafbug

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby Natasha » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:47 am

Wonderful contraption....................but may cause reg performance to drop a little.....
Natasha

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby BubbleBunny » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:27 pm

Wonderful contraption....................but may cause reg performance to drop a little.....

Sicko, care to explain this for our benefit? Not sure what you mean by drop in performance. Would be interesting to know.

Cheers.
BubbleBunny

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby Natasha » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:47 pm

Well.............since it is connected inline between the 1st stage & reg hose, it [highlight]may[/highlight] present a restriction that affects the performance of [highlight]some regulators[/highlight].
Natasha

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby wing0112 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:52 pm

er... i dont know why... but i feel tat this filter thingy is a waste.... although i have not try this b4 but i ask those user b4 and they said they dont feel much difference la.... but 1 thing i know is.. cheap reg sure will makes ur throat dry faster compare to a slightly expensive reg... is it coz of the air deliver system or what. i dont understand.... maybe its jus psychology thingy la.... as after u invested money on it.... u sure would expect or expected tat ur throat wont be dry.....
wing0112

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby Natasha » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Wow Beaver a review on Apollo bio-filter!hehe...Seems like u didnt use the filter after all yeah?hehe...

Anyway, this has been my 1st regulator set, which looks the exact same unit as reviewed, except mine is silver in color.  It comes with built in Apollo moisturiser.  As for my opinion, this moisturiser works for me. If you do refill the sponge with water every dive, the air that you suck in, would be warm moist air.  One could also refill the wick with Ribena, or coca cola if you want. ;D . Then you will get flavoured air, as some of the water could come into your second stage if the wick is really damp.  Then you will have flavoured 2nd stage.  

From my opinion as well, it kind of filters out funny kind of smell that you sometimes breathe through your tanks.  Hence, i would say you are breathing filtered moist air.

As for the construction of the regulator, i would say its quite sturdy and robust, and i have no problems at ll using the regulator.

Lastly, this moisturiser thingy, also reduces your post dive headaches for divers that suffers from headache when they dive.

Just my 2 cent

Yeah..........you get flavoured air..............but beware, some soft drinks(esp fizzy ones) contains weak carbonic acid and/or citric acid.......... Not to mention the sugar that will accumulate inside the reg hose..............

I believe that you will also not want the "moist air filled with soft drinks"  to end up in your lungs right? The drinks should be in your stomache........

Now I am not against this filter & moist air thingy but one should study every possible pros & cons of fitting such a device before buying.
Last edited by Natasha on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natasha

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby bubble_trouble » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:54 pm

I wonder if they can mix w**d smoke into ur tank. ;D Or put c**e on or bio-filter. :o
bubble_trouble

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby BubbleBunny » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:25 pm

but 1 thing i know is.. cheap reg sure will makes ur throat dry faster compare to a slightly expensive reg... is it coz of the air deliver system or what.

Well, the air we breathe from a tank is the same dry, compressed air regardless of the type of regulator we use, so IMO, there wouldn't be any difference between a cheap reg vs an expensive one.
BubbleBunny

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby GOD » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:27 pm

Well, the air we breathe from a tank is the same dry, compressed air regardless of the type of regulator we use, so IMO, there wouldn't be any difference between a cheap reg vs an expensive one.

I agree with BubbleBeaver.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby nizaha » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:08 pm

hey guys

If you diving with Nitrox 32% for instead since we know nitrox have bit moisture in the tank.

Do the divers still get full mix 32% if divers using this filter? since the filter will collect all the crap from the tank.

Just out of curiousity

safe diving

Zaha
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby Natasha » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:13 pm

hey guys

If you diving with Nitrox 32% for instead since we know nitrox have bit moisture in the tank.

Do the divers still get full mix 32% if divers using this filter? since the filter will collect all the crap from the tank.

Just out of curiousity

safe diving

Zaha

Don't think the filter will be able to change the percentage of O2 and/or N2............
Natasha

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby leafbug » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:22 pm

er... i dont know why... but i feel tat this filter thingy is a waste.... although i have not try this b4 but i ask those user b4 and they said they dont feel much difference la.... but 1 thing i know is.. cheap reg sure will makes ur throat dry faster compare to a slightly expensive reg... is it coz of the air deliver system or what. i dont understand.... maybe its jus psychology thingy la.... as after u invested money on it.... u sure would expect or expected tat ur throat wont be dry.....

*heh* it just doesn't work that way la bro... cheap reg or expensive reg, the interstage pressure is still the same, else the reg would free-flow all the time. some regs have knobs to control the pressure a bit as to "close" a little so to prevent the air from gushing through your throat... or "open" for the reverse effect.

other than that, IMO, they're just the same other than build material, additional features to prevent corrosion, seat tear and swivel for comfort.

the moisturizer do have an effect, especially those that are prone to dry throat. personally, it's something I can dive without... anytime.

the carbon filter, is to prevent bad or smelly air from getting to your lungs throughout the dive, you never know whether the tanks are well serviced or not, so it's just a precautionary thingy. I started to use the carbon filter after seen several badly maintained tanks. just as how I started to have my own regulators after using a badly maintained rental regs :)
leafbug

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby leafbug » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:32 pm

hey guys

Just out of curiousity

safe diving

Zaha

IMO, the air is safely dry regardless of O2% unless the compressor's filtering is not serviced well. ;)

I doubt the filter is that fine to filter O2 :) just enough to filter any crappy things that manages to pass through the 1st stage's filter.
leafbug

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby GOD » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:45 am

hey guys

Just out of curiousity

safe diving

Zaha

Bro, drop in O2 % can happen if you are using Steel or Aluminium cylinder with rust inside as O2 will re-act with it.

Diver will get the full mix of 32% when using this filter, I just wonder if this [highlight]filter is safe to use with EANx[/highlight].

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby evo5555 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:20 am

Yeah, but what i meant is perhaps u can add some flavour as some flavor hehe...anyway most of the time i just use water.

Just my 2 cent

Yeah..........you get flavoured air..............but beware, some soft drinks(esp fizzy ones) contains weak carbonic acid and/or citric acid.......... Not to mention the sugar that will accumulate inside the reg hose..............

I believe that you will also not want the "moist air filled with soft drinks"  to end up in your lungs right? The drinks should be in your stomache........

Now I am not against this filter & moist air thingy but one should study every possible pros & cons of fitting such a device before buying.
evo5555

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby evo5555 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:22 am

When i was diving with beaver, i told him not to use the charcoal filter. normally i just use the moisturiser without the filter.  In the intsruction, it was written that plesae do not use the charcoal filter in conjunction of usage of EANx. So I did not use it with the charcoal filter.  And after 12 dives of EANx of 32 and 36, there are no problems at all.

hey guys

Just out of curiousity

safe diving

Zaha

Bro, drop in O2 % can happen if you are using Steel or Aluminium cylinder with rust inside as O2 will re-act with it.

Diver will get the full mix of 32% when using this filter, I just wonder if this [highlight]filter is safe to use with EANx[/highlight].

;D

evo5555

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby evo5555 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:25 am

For me as a user, i do not encounter any restriction on the regulators. The air delivery flow was tuned nicely. I've even brought it to usage of 40m, and delivery gets more smoother at depth, as it is a balanced 1st stage. i've been told that very regulators is being tested to 52m of depth.You can actually tune the flow of the air for your 2nd stage air delivery. This is applicable for every regulatrs.

Well.............since it is connected inline between the 1st stage & reg hose, it [highlight]may[/highlight] present a restriction that affects the performance of [highlight]some regulators[/highlight].
Last edited by evo5555 on Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
evo5555

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby Natasha » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:09 am

For me as a user, i do not encounter any restriction on the regulators. The air delivery flow was tuned nicely. I've even brought it to usage of 40m, and delivery gets more smoother at depth, as it is a balanced 1st stage. i've been told that very regulators is being tested to 52m of depth.You can actually tune the flow of the air for your 2nd stage air delivery. This is applicable for every regulatrs.

The Appollo Bio reg is designed to work with the device. That's why you may feel no difference.

For other regs that retrofit the device, there's bound to be some restriction from the filter and/or sponge.
The pressure drop may not be significant enough that the diver notices it..........

But what the hell.............it gives MOISTURE!!!!!!  ;D No more dry throat!!!!

How much is this thing selling anyway?
Last edited by Natasha on Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Natasha

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby wing0112 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:31 pm

its up to ur own preference lah....whether u 1 dry or moisture.... to me is no diff lah as i only will fell the dryness after like 50 minutes....... but if u have the extra cash....so why care eh......
wing0112

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby zani » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:07 pm

do you open and dry the wick by the end of the day of dive or just left it inside and only rinse it w when needed?
zani

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby BubbleBunny » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:35 pm

its recommended that you remove the wick after the dive, rinse it and let it dry until further use.
BubbleBunny

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby zani » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:28 am

Look like i'm on the right track. thanks mate!!
zani

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby timyang » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:54 am

I think I prefer to drink more water instead of paying for the moisturiser.
timyang

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby pink-fins » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:28 pm

Can I bring the bladder with straw (the one used by mountain bikers) and sip sip in the water?? Safe ah? It can be very very dry u/w
pink-fins

Topic author

Next

Return to Regulators