MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Question on the knob on 2nd stage...

Question on the knob on 2nd stage...

Question on the knob on 2nd stage...

Post Number:#1  Postby superkingkong » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:43 am

hmm.. what is it use for?

haven't used one b4.. so.. don't know what is it for.

if it is a switch for allowing more or less air through the 2nd stage... isn't it better to switch it all the way to the max? so that it can give more air all the time?

what is it different between those 2nd stages with knob and without knob? .. why do u need a knob?

next question is.. i heard something about a predive switch.. what is it for? why would 2nd stage needs so many adjustment?

would appreciate if you could shed some lights here... thanks
superkingkong

Topic author

Re: Question on the knob on 2nd stage...

Post Number:#2  Postby BubbleBunny » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:28 pm

I asked the exact same question to Snafu yesterday. I guess the one with the knob is there so that you can adjust the resistance of air to your liking whilst underwater. Snafu says "it should only be -ve or +ve setting" and the downside to having a knob on the outside is that there are more moving parts for you to service.

Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge could shed some light on this.
BubbleBunny

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby adik » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:03 am

I had a conversations on this issue recently, and based my understanding about it is :-

The -ve and +ve = Its a venturi switch , purpose is to control the sensitivity of the 2nd Stage.
Negative means :- Controlling the free flow during entering the water.
Positive means :- Whilst UW and you switch to +ve, it will ease your breathing

The knob is basically to control the resistance during inhaling the air so that yo can get a maximum performance at any depth by adjusting the knob.
adik

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby nizaha » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:24 am

Hey guys

I just leave my venturi open all the times, that what manufacture told the us during the service clinic. Even though I dive at 0'C water. never have freeflow before and my 1st stage sometimes froze with ice. Just don't breath at the surface. enviromental seal.

In tropical water normally if you have a freeflow while you jump from the boat, right..? just point the mouthpiece down it will stop from freelow.

Like adik say, the knob just give you air flow at depth. also balanced regulator works same as the venturi knob aswell, bit cheaper then other top of the line regulator on the market.

safe diving

Zaha
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby GOD » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:22 am

The Knob on 2nd stage are use for fine tuning the work of breath (WOB) ... light & easy breathing or demand feel.

'+' & '-' ..... controling the sensitivity during entry mode & dive mode, mainly to prevent regulator free flow during entry & easy breathing during diving.

Always take your time to read the Regulator Manual ... some function are similar & some are different.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Return to Regulators