MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - assemble reg set

assemble reg set

assemble reg set

Post Number:#1  Postby jubilant » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:03 am

hi guys, I just got my first reg kit, (it came separately between spg, octo, and power inflator to bcd). I read my owner manual, it does not say about how to assemble the regulator set (it just say assembly should be done by train technician, but i don't know where it refer to, is it to open the regulator or to assemble it to octo, spg, bcd), when i look at my PADI ow manual, it just say leave it to the professional. I found a video on youtube made by scuba store, it look pretty easy. Does anyone has assemble reg set ? could you share it how to do it ? smileeeeee
jubilant
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author
Topics: 1

Re: assemble reg set

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:28 am

you have a wrench? it is easy to assemble. Dont assemble it too tight. i just twist my SPG just nice cause with the air pressure , it will become tight on its own. Just like when we put our 1st stage to the tank.
SPG goes to the HP
octo and BCD Inflator to the LP

You might want to check first the location of the ports cause if you have 2HP and 4LP , you can choose any location that easy for you to do recovery and when you assemble to your
BCD, your hose wont get squeeze in between.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby jubilant » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 pm

thank you run, my reg set is cressi mc9, it does have 2 HP and 4 LP, and comes with 1st and 2nd connected. I read somewhere, when assembling it, one need to spray it with silicone grease to give more watertight. Does it necessary (spraying it with silicone ) ? does silicone grease will have effect in deteriorate the reg set and the hose ?
jubilant
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby run » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:53 pm

i didnt spray any silicone at all. Its not only the silicone. The air and grease from the dive center tank can also harm your hose and reg set.
You will know once you get your reg send for service. Do ask with the service center to show the inside of your 1st stage when you service it.
Then you will know how important it is to send for service.
If you worry since its your 1st assembly project, you can go to any dive center near you to assemble it for you.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby jubilant » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:22 pm

thank you run, it clear my mind smileeeeee
jubilant
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby mamakpenang » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:10 pm

jubilant,
the best way is to put in your hose is while your 1st stage connected to the tank with bcd, and you can arrange nicely the hose arrangement on the left and right.....just a thought.......
agree with run, no grease needed......
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby rushd4n » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Jubilant,
sorry to jump into your thread.

since you using cressi MC9 reg, i just want to ask about this reg.. how is this reg perform, it is good.
should i buy it... please advice. thanks
rushd4n
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby jubilant » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:15 am

thanks mamak penang for the tip. smileeeeee
rushd4an, I don't know, I never used it before, as this is my first reg kit, I will tell you as soon I take it on my next dive trip ;)
jubilant
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby run » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:46 am

mc9 is a great reg if combine with balance 2nd stage. You might get small bubbles if you use a cheaper set of octo.
Buying & choosing a reg is difficult especially when it come with price wise.

If it was me i will go for these details. I actually help out a friend suggesting what kind of characteristic in a reg he should find. The rest is up to him
1) venturi effect - sometime when you go dives you will encounter a few divers when they touch the water, their 2nd stage would burst with air and the diver simply hold their finger in between
the mouthpiece to stop the air burst. Is this good? it has something to do with ease of breathing effort so i'm sure its good.
2) balanced - most new regs today are balanced but in the case of mc9 its hyper-balance what does that mean? Maybe its more hyper than the other brands of balanced regulator? I just know this when its balanced
means it will deliver good air flow even when the tank volume is low. Example 5meter safety stop with 40bar of air. Divers with low performance reg have a little bit of extra effort to inhale but with good reg
you will not notice the difference. You breath as easy and the same as you breath at depth 20m. There is a good point and bad point in this matter. The good point you breath easy, the bad point you tend to be careless and didnt notice that you are about to low on air.
3) how good the reg and the 2nd stage supply air to you after a sprint underwater fighting currents? i think this is the best way to test the reg performance. Why? I remember the time when i used to rent regs. After a good fight with currents i start to breath heavily and faster. The air sometime seems to hard to inhale and even stuck. The effect is like when you are trying to wear a seat belt in your car. If you pull it too hard , its jammed. Most divers will say "if you want to know the performance have to test at greater depth". if your buddy are up to it and willing to go 40m together with you to test how good the breathing feels like using your
reg , heck then why not.

other details
3) is it light weight or heavy?
4) service cost?
5) design up to your liking or not.
6) some brands cost higher doesnt mean they are better. Its the brands name. They are well-known. Sifu's of the diving world. Some divers will go for brands name cause they feel secure. These branded
products have done R&D with years of experience. Some divers just go for the spec cause they understand how to read those techical data.
6) dont listen to people's review that like to condemn other brands. I just think its un-ethical and un-professional. I like going to the shops and ask a few question. Ya sometime i do encounter un-friendly staff but i also met good ones.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby rushd4n » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:40 pm

.... Thanks. run for such a details explaination.
rushd4n
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby dorothy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:38 pm

Hey run.. gud info.
Wat do you think about the apexs flight and the aqualung mikron? Pro cons?
dorothy
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 8

Post Number:#12  Postby run » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:13 am

apeks flight and micron not much pro & cons. Both are good for leisure and recreational diving.
i got mine mikron. This was before flight was introduce in malaysia.
Flight is good for cold diving but we are warm waters here so never have a chance to try it in waters below 10C.
i just dont prefer flight's 2nd stage neutrally bouyant feature but this is individual preference.
if im not mistaken u bought flight right? Take good care of it. Rinse it with warm water after a trip.
Hang it to dry and tap of any remaining waters stuck inside the mouth piece.
Take good care of your gears on the surface and it will take care of you underwater :)
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby jubilant » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:16 am

has taken the reg to it's 1st dive, work flawlessly. smileeeeee

@rusd4an : it work well balanced, when it got bellow 50 bar, I don't fell the difference. Though I am only take it to 16 m
jubilant
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby rushd4n » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:43 am

thanks jubilant... really appreciate it.
what is ur second stage? Ellipse Balanced, or Ellipse Titanium or the new 2nd stage XS Compact?

thanks..
rushd4n
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby gavstang » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:23 pm

APEKS forever
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#16  Postby dorothy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:41 pm

hahhaaa.. didnt realise the flight was neutrally buoyant until recently... was reaching out for the reg only to realize its not floating like the other which we use to rent. :p and now you mentioned it here.
well, few days back my fren was planning to get her 1st reg and was toying between the flight and mikron (thats why i ask you about the pros and cons earlier) ...but finally settle for mikron cus got the gambar cicak which she finds it cute ! hahah
dorothy
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby jubilant » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:14 am

@ rushd4an : for 2nd stage I use ellipse balanced, it came with package for me.
jubilant
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby l0llip0p » Thu May 23, 2013 8:59 pm

dorothy, do you mind to share how much she/he bought the mikron set?
I am thinking of buying a mikron or apeks flight too......

Sad thing is I am not here for MIDE, thus unable to buy in the dive dair.

-- Thu May 23, 2013 9:01 pm --

dorothy wrote:hahhaaa.. didnt realise the flight was neutrally buoyant until recently... was reaching out for the reg only to realize its not floating like the other which we use to rent. :p and now you mentioned it here.
well, few days back my fren was planning to get her 1st reg and was toying between the flight and mikron (thats why i ask you about the pros and cons earlier) ...but finally settle for mikron cus got the gambar cicak which she finds it cute ! hahah

dorothy, do you mind to share how much she/he bought the mikron set?
I am thinking of buying a mikron or apeks flight too......

Sad thing is I am not here for MIDE, thus unable to buy in the dive fair.
l0llip0p
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby dorothy » Sat May 25, 2013 7:06 pm

hi lollipop .. my fren got hers during the apexs/aqualung promo. i think it was around RM 2,800 for the mikron set wz single gauge
i bought the flight during the apeks promo sometime late last year around RM 2,170
got ours at global scuba 1Utama

am not sure if apexs/ Aqualung promo is still but you can give it a try.
dorothy
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby l0llip0p » Sun May 26, 2013 10:26 am

Oh! Thanks! Did u try both of apeks and mikron? I am choosing between this two, in dilemma.
l0llip0p
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby dorothy » Tue May 28, 2013 11:58 am

am using the apeks flight, other than the flight's 2nd stage is neutrally bouyant ( i just found that out ... also run mentioned in the earlier postings) its so far so good.
have yet to give mikron a try but my fren said it was pretty smooth .. didnt quite get what she meant by that. will be heading to redang next week so maybe i'll give the mikron a try !!
dorothy
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby l0llip0p » Tue May 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Cool. Do give a review after this! Think then I can decide with the choice. Hehe... Thanks a lot!
l0llip0p
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby mamakpenang » Tue May 28, 2013 6:02 pm

ermmm between aqualung mikron and apeks flight.........both are a very nice reg, light & small size....just nice for a lady......a guy also can.....
but please consider a few thing
1. apeks flight uses proprietary hoses, cannot simply change to normal rubber hose or miflex hoses, if you go to remote location, u should buy spare apeks flight hose just as a precautions, while aqualung mikron come with braided hoses something like miflex hose & u can replace it with miflex hose anytime.
2. aqualung mikron second stage has an adjustment knob that allows the diver to optimize the opening effort, while apeks flight doesn't have it....if u like to adjust the the inhalation effort, if not the adjustment knob is un necessary (will do without it but some people like it)
3. 4 MP ports & 2 HP ports for both.....i guess u already know this.
just to let u know upfront before purchasing any of the two.....but again u can always sell it back as 2nd hand reg if u don't like it.....or post it here to me...... :cheesy:

-- Tue May 28, 2013 6:07 pm --

oppss just browsing and planet scuba on sale & they sell apeks flight stage 3 at RM 1790.00
Flight Stage 3 includes:
Flight First Stage + Flight Second Stage + Flight Octopus + Apeks Sports Bag!!

maybe cheaper during mide 2013......
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby dorothy » Tue May 28, 2013 7:21 pm

danggg..... the flight is so much cheaper now !!

thanks mamakpenang on the hose info ! i didnt know that too.. just know how to pakai aja .. hahah ! meaning to say that for flight cannot change to miflex hose is it?
dorothy
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#25  Postby l0llip0p » Tue May 28, 2013 8:53 pm

That's a detail explanation. Aqua lung mikron seems more attractive to me. But the price compare to the promotion apeks make me in dilemma. A really good deal going on for apeks! But the small size regulator in mikron make it so attractive! Hmnnnn.... Thinking still..........
l0llip0p
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#26  Postby run » Tue May 28, 2013 8:55 pm

hahahaha yeap its on sale for apeks. ii keep asking the staff there why they cost down that cheap. They wont answer. I asked is it about aqualung coming out with lady design? they still wont answer. Oh just so u know Aqualung for women will come out soon. I have to say the design very attractive and light weight.
hey mamakpenang there are alot of guys wearing the mikron too :)

About Mide not to sure coz Planet Scuba still unsure whether they want to participate or not. I have to say the price cost down a lot for Apeks goodies so better make up your mind quickly coz once the stock finish , the sale also finish. Just so u know the sale was advertise since feb or march this year.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#27  Postby l0llip0p » Tue May 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Run, are u getting the regulator set too?

But the mikron second stage seems look style than the apeks one. Wish the sales is on mikron then I will surely get it.
l0llip0p
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#28  Postby run » Tue May 28, 2013 10:51 pm

lollipop let me just say this. Already have a micron and been using it for more than 100 dives :d
my best advise for you. buy something u want, u know its good for u and u wont regret buying it :YMHUG:
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby mamakpenang » Wed May 29, 2013 9:33 am

if im not mistaken, 2 years ago aqualung mikron have had a promo of RM 1800.00-1900.00 (something like that) which includes aqualung mikron 1st stage, 2nd stage, aqualung mikron actopus, both 2nd stage and octopus come with aqualung braided hose (something like miflex hose)
maybe when aqualung introduces aqualung mikron 2013 or aqualung mikron for lady they will have promo like before.......hehe.....
run, pinjam mikron seminggu, nak cuba try test, tgk ok tak...... :cheesy:
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#30  Postby dorothy » Thu May 30, 2013 3:33 pm

The last time i also ask the kedai why apeks promo so cheap esp the flight , one of them say cus flight might be coming out new model/looks so guess thats why lor. But stocks are running out fast too..
dorothy
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Next

Return to Regulators