MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - ~first step~

~first step~

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

Re: ~first step~

Post Number:#31  Postby MynN » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:42 pm

kekekee... as a begineer... my bouyancy also going down the drain... :( well, as they said, practice makes perfect... but i wonder.. if i practice using the wrong technique, forever i'll be going down the drain  :-/

since u r with a DM, i'm sure u will improve fast... :) and i'll need some tunjuk ajar from u soon :)

sd, does triggerfish bites?

practise, practise n practise... do u go to the pool n practise? i havent been to any pool practise  :(
since u said u might be practising using the wrong techniques, u shud get the DMs or instructors in here to help u.. i bet they r nice enough to help u...  :)
btw i'm not with a DM.. finding one to help me out.. hehehe.. even if i improve faster doesnt mean i know more... there's a lot more to learn...  :D
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#32  Postby bijan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:22 pm

Mynn..my buoyancy oso like crap lar..every newbie oso have to go thru this stage we're at lar..just practice practice and practice and dive more..:D :D..we'll get there..

demon, the stern DM is the one with the cave diving wing ar? the red one? wahhhh..macho man
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#33  Postby MynN » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:32 pm

hi bijan... hv u done a lot of dives since ur certification 6 months ago?
i havent got the opportunity.. i hv one trip coming up in june.. by then i need a review class... forgotten evrything after almost a yr.. how to set up n dismantle my equipments  :( ( eventho i noe the dc will do it for u, but to practise wut we learn is quite important huh..) but wuteva it is i'm motivated to dive more n see more after joining this forum..  :D
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#34  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:50 pm

practise, practise n practise... do u go to the pool n practise? i havent been to any pool practise  :(
since u said u might be practising using the wrong techniques, u shud get the DMs or instructors in here to help u.. i bet they r nice enough to help u...  :)
btw i'm not with a DM.. finding one to help me out.. hehehe.. even if i improve faster doesnt mean i know more... there's a lot more to learn...  :D

yeah.. few times, when i was in KL ... kekekee

hmm... maybe we can follow few times with the DM that SD mentioned :)
SD, can ar?  :P

kekekee, finally, just did a search of trigger fish, especially the titan triggerfish, will bite  >:( especially during reproduction period... but anyhow, would like to go see see look look ... kekekee "kena gigit baru tau"

hey mynn, where will be your dive in June? :)
better go practice around the pool first.. to familiarize urself first :)
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#35  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:18 am

Talking abt DM.. there was one when i did my OW said since my buoyancy is quite bad keep on floating up n down, he told my instructor to put the tajam corals underneath n above me.. he said confirm perfect buoyancy level.. hehehehe...

triggerfish can really do that? wah scary... wut damage can they do to us then?
argh, dun wanna noe where they r..  SD, since u noe a lot abt them, be my buddy..  ;) so u can b alert for both of us!!

You want to buddy with me? Can. My dive buddy won't mind..done that before. But if you see me suddenly change direction and swim fast into another direction, try to keep up. There could be a trigger near you  ;D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#36  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:20 am

demon, the stern DM is the one with the cave diving wing ar? the red one? wahhhh..macho man

Yup..he's the one...hehehe...the one and only  ;D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#37  Postby SuperKingKong® » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:13 am

the article said it the triggerfish is coming to your way, swim away backwards kicking your fins as a defence.

"Luckier divers return with holes in their fins (the fish seems attracted to colourful fins, which actually reduces the risk of personal injury) while more misfortunate divers have been knocked out cold or suffered from bite wounds requiring medical attention."

"Bites should be taken seriously as they are ciguatoxic. Ciguatoxin is a natural poison which is found on some tropical reefs. It infects fish which feed on marine algae. While harmless to the fish, even small amounts can have a harmful effect on humans. In cases of extreme poisoning, it may cause heart attacks, paralysis or death"

>:( :( :-/
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#38  Postby MynN » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:40 pm

yeah.. few times, when i was in KL ... kekekee

hmm... maybe we can follow few times with the DM that SD mentioned :)
SD, can ar?  :P

kekekee, finally, just did a search of trigger fish, especially the titan triggerfish, will bite  >:( especially during reproduction period... but anyhow, would like to go see see look look ... kekekee "kena gigit baru tau"

hahaha.. i takut kena gigit... so if i see SD swimming away super fast.. means  i'm gonna grab his BC before he leaves me there looking all blur..  :D
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#39  Postby MynN » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:47 pm

better go practice around the pool first.. to familiarize urself first :)[/quote]

i'm going to tioman.. the thing is i'm really bz with my exams right b4 my trip.. so i dunno if i hv the time to go the pool.. i really want to but time is my constraint right now... btw if i go there right, is there someone who'll teach me or i'll just jump in alone?

have u been to tioman? anything interesting to lookout for? any particular dive sites?
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#40  Postby MynN » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:59 pm

the article said it the triggerfish is coming to your way, swim away backwards kicking your fins as a defence.

"Luckier divers return with holes in their fins (the fish seems attracted to colourful fins, which actually reduces the risk of personal injury) while more misfortunate divers have been knocked out cold or suffered from bite wounds requiring medical attention."

"Bites should be taken seriously as they are ciguatoxic. Ciguatoxin is a natural poison which is found on some tropical reefs. It infects fish which feed on marine algae. While harmless to the fish, even small amounts can have a harmful effect on humans. In cases of extreme poisoning, it may cause heart attacks, paralysis or death"

SKK, Thank u for the info on triggerfish..

I'm scared shitless.. now i know how SD feels..  :-/ :-? :(
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#41  Postby Leafy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:21 pm

fending off triggerfish can be quite interesting actually, the drawback would be leaving you with less air for the dive as you'd be breathing as if you'd just ran 2km and perhaps have to replace the regulator's mouthpiece due to excessive bite on it. if you're lucky, your dive buddy would take a video of you and during SI after the dive you'd be laughing your lungs out watching it :)

but don't worry much about the algae toxins cuz if my memory serves me right, cases of human ciguatoxin intoxication are more on the consumption of reef fishes than their bites :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Website : http://www.leafbug.org “Don’t tell the story if you don’t have the pictures” - National Geographic
Leafy
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#42  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:06 pm

i'm going to tioman.. the thing is i'm really bz with my exams right b4 my trip.. so i dunno if i hv the time to go the pool.. i really want to but time is my constraint right now... btw if i go there right, is there someone who'll teach me or i'll just jump in alone?

have u been to tioman? anything interesting to lookout for? any particular dive sites?

Anytime you need a scuba review, let me know. I can help out...

Tioman...lots of dive sites to look out for. My favourites include Soyak Reef/Wrecks, Chebeh island, Labas island, Tiger Reef, Golden reef, Sepoi island, Fan Canyon
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#43  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:09 pm

SKK, Thank u for the info on triggerfish..

I'm scared shitless.. now i know how SD feels..  :-/ :-? :(

Don't worry too much about the Triggerfish. It will usually give a signal by repeatingly raising its trigger just in front of its dorsal fin and start swimming in erratic sideways fashion. You see this, then just make your way away from it...not by changing to a shallower depth.

They are usually aggressive during the months of February through April because of nesting season.

So if you see a crater on the sand underwater, stay away. It's a trigger's nest.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#44  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:12 pm

fending off triggerfish can be quite interesting actually, the drawback would be leaving you with less air for the dive as you'd be breathing as if you'd just ran 2km and perhaps have to replace the regulator's mouthpiece due to excessive bite on it. if you're lucky, your dive buddy would take a video of you and during SI after the dive you'd be laughing your lungs out watching it :)

but don't worry much about the algae toxins cuz if my memory serves me right, cases of human ciguatoxin intoxication are more on the consumption of reef fishes than their bites :)

One of my best videos is of Leafbug being attacked by a very annoyed Triggerfish that Leafbug unintentionally swam into ;D ;D ;D

He's one of the reknowned experts in Triggerfish attacks. 5 dives, 5 attacks...rght Leafy? ;D
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#45  Postby SuperKingKong® » Tue May 01, 2007 7:37 am

thanks leafbug for the info... well, at least not so scared about the toxin... but bit? .. hmmm takut lah...

wonder what will happen if "use" hand to chase it away? :P ... rather than using fin... coz fin besar, will take a lot of energy to make "big" finning and a bit "susah" :P but hand.. can move up and down fast fast ... kekeke..  dunno can or not :P
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#46  Postby SuperKingKong® » Tue May 01, 2007 7:40 am

have u been to tioman? anything interesting to lookout for? any particular dive sites?[/quote]
no.. haven't been to tioman :(... new diver i am :P... that's why still a yoyo diver :P i also wish i could go tioman one day...  :-/

pool session... i guess SD can give u some good guidance... a professional he is  :) a nice guy he is... :) or lots of lady divers in this forum will be willing to help u out :)
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#47  Postby Bones » Tue May 01, 2007 8:58 am

Tioman.... loads to see... my favourite is Fan Canyon.... so many huge colourful gargonian sea fans.... Went for my 1st fundive there... Man was I a yo-yo then... Popped out of the water during my safety stop.... Nasib baik nothin happened..

But Tioman has a lot to offer.... only thing is the great dive sites are quite far... Spend too much time in de boat which usually makes me sick.......

But as long as you're diving EVERYTHING is A-OK... :) :) :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 01, 2007 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish out of water is like a diver with no air
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#48  Postby MynN » Tue May 01, 2007 9:20 am

Tioman.... loads to see... my favourite is Fan Canyon.... so many huge colourful gargonian sea fans.... Went for my 1st fundive there... Man was I a yo-yo then... Popped out of the water during my safety stop.... Nasib baik nothin happened..

But Tioman has a lot to offer.... only thing is the great dive sites are quite far... Spend too much time in de boat which usually makes me sick.......

But as long as you're diving EVERYTHING is A-OK... :) :) :)

Fan Canyon.. ok noted!!

talking abt being a yoyo diver, my legs keeps on floating up.. i had difficulties in keeping them down.. dunno y.. but my instructor said " byk lemak tu.."  :D hehehe.. wut to do.. always an extra feature for the ladies..  :P

Yeap as long as we r diving ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is ok...  :D
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#49  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue May 01, 2007 11:48 am

pool session... i guess SD can give u some good guidance... a professional he is  :) a nice guy he is... :) or lots of lady divers in this forum will be willing to help u out :)

Bro..am not a professional la...just another diver like you with, perhaps, some knowledge that you haven't acquired or made full potential of. And you may know something about diving that I haven't discovered so I can learn from you too.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#50  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed May 02, 2007 4:16 am

And you may know something about diving that I haven't discovered so I can learn from you too.

which i think it's impossible  ;)

it's nice knowing you and it's a pleasure for me to have a friend like you :)
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#51  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed May 02, 2007 4:19 am

And you may know something about diving that I haven't discovered so I can learn from you too.

Likewise, bro. ;)
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#52  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed May 02, 2007 4:19 am

Fan Canyon.. ok noted!!

talking abt being a yoyo diver, my legs keeps on floating up.. i had difficulties in keeping them down.. dunno y.. but my instructor said " byk lemak tu.."  :D hehehe.. wut to do.. always an extra feature for the ladies..  :P

Yeap as long as we r diving ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is ok...  :D

i'm not sure how to explain this, but as u r more comfortable in the water (in the water more), get used to it, more relaxed, ur body will float lesser :P
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#53  Postby MynN » Wed May 02, 2007 9:51 pm

i agree with SKK.. i also think its impossible.. unless i suddenly have super powers n somewhat gain more experience than u.. nah, i dun think so..

SD, hope u can share with us ur knowledge.. hoping to learn more from u..  :)
saya budak baru belajar... jika salah tlg tunjukkan..  :D
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#54  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed May 02, 2007 10:05 pm

i agree with SKK.. i also think its impossible.. unless i suddenly have super powers n somewhat gain more experience than u.. nah, i dun think so..

SD, hope u can share with us ur knowledge.. hoping to learn more from u..  :)
saya budak baru belajar... jika salah tlg tunjukkan..  :D

I'll be glad to impart whatever I know...but a disclaimer here: I'm not a scuba instructor.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#55  Postby MynN » Wed May 02, 2007 10:12 pm

thx SD!!

Knowledge and experience is more important i believe.. u can still be a point of reference eventho u r not an instructor right?  ;)
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#56  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed May 02, 2007 10:18 pm

thx SD!!

Knowledge and experience is more important i believe.. u can still be a point of reference eventho u r not an instructor right?  ;)

I guess...but I would rather we share our knowledge and experience...not a monologue. :)
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#57  Postby SuperKingKong® » Thu May 03, 2007 7:19 am

thx SD!!

I guess...but I would rather we share our knowledge and experience...not a monologue. :)

be aware of more tt session invitations by superkingkong  ;D
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#58  Postby MynN » Thu May 03, 2007 12:22 pm

thx SD!!

yes SKK.. i will be.. when will u b back?  :)
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#59  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri May 04, 2007 6:33 am

thx SD!!

yes SKK.. i will be.. when will u b back?  :)

kekeke.. if everything goes as per schedule... be back by june loh  :D miss tt, nasi lemak, roti telur double etc...kekekee my fav  ;D but all also bad for health  :(
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#60  Postby sheik » Fri May 04, 2007 6:41 am

kekeke.. if everything goes as per schedule... be back by june loh  :D miss tt, nasi lemak, roti telur double etc...kekekee my fav  ;D but all also bad for health  :(

Bro, if you miss some of those food, go to Penang, a restaurant in chinatown Boston.

Also if you can drive to NYC, go to Curry in a Hurry at Lexington Ave. Nice mamak food. But don't expect the service to be 5-star lah... heh heh.
Last edited by anas on Fri May 04, 2007 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Gear