MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - ~first step~

~first step~

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

~first step~

Post Number:#1  Postby MynN » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:21 am

For new divers like me, where should i start in getting my diving equipments?
i really dun noe.. shud i get a wetsuit first or mask? N wut brands?

wut is the very first thing that i need to get?
If i'm on a budget, wut would u recommend the very basic thing to get based on priority..

I'm clueless.. :-?
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: ~first step~

Post Number:#2  Postby Snafu » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:32 am

If i'm on a budget, wut would u recommend the very basic thing to get based on priority..

Go and do Dive Equipment Window shopping ...... check out few shop for style & price you like the most.

Very good if you have BUDGET already ... so what is the budget that you have?

Maybe we can work something out from your budget...soooOOooo much easier.

Second hand item be a good start for Regulator set, BCD & fins.

Wetsuit(Full Suit), mask & booties can get new.

;D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#3  Postby Nizaha » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:59 am

Hi MynN

I would consider get a wetsuit .. for hygiene purpose  8-). Doesn't matter which brand most important is fitting the suit.

Extremely important to have your own mask,snorkel and proper diving fin...you need to get right fitting if you want to enjoy this sport. i'm telling the truth. Go to the local diveshop where closed to you and try them all out. make sure you 100% comfortable what you try on doesn't matter mask,snorkel,fin or wetsuit. before you consider you purchase.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DIVESHOP !

Safe diving

Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:21 am

I made my local diveshop happy two days ago. :-X
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#5  Postby Nizaha » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:53 am

What you get from them??

Way to go [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Safe diving

Zaha
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:50 am

hi MynN :)

like that said.. it's better get the basic stuff first... like mask, snorkel, fin and probably booties. .. then u can think of wetsuit.

the 2nd step ahead, u can get the BCD .. hahaa.. am i talking too far ahead ? :P

well, lots of ppl says get a reg first. but i've read an article saying that when u get a bcd, u need to be comfortable with it... it's kinda personal.. u need to get the feel with your bcd :) as for reg, u can get it later or if u rent from those DC, it's also not a problem, it has not much difference though, as compare to BCD :)

but for u to go into the 2nd step, i urge u to dive more first... and to get more feel on what bcd is more comfortable with you.. before u r really *buying* it for yourself :)
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#7  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:06 am

What you get from them??

Way to go [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Safe diving

Zaha

Nothing much...2 regs, another wing, liftbag, one O2-cleaned pressure gauge, one 400 BAR gauge, original imitation jetfins and a few other small stuff. ;)
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:10 am

MynN, get the basics first as mentioned by the other divers.  For me, to buy the more expensive items like BCD and regulator, get them if you do dive trips at least once every two months and do more than 3 dives per trip.

Never buy because of the brand. Buy what works.

This advice is coming from a cheap diver.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#9  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:58 am

hmm... a cheap diver buys so many things  :o... so, what am i? can't find another term that is cheaper than a cheap diver  ;D
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#10  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:02 am

hmm... a cheap diver buys so many things  :o... so, what am i? can't find another term that is cheaper than a cheap diver  ;D

I buy equipment only. But when it comes to diving, I make it as cheap as possible for myself. I don't believe in paying for expensive tickets and expensive pillows. If I can sleep in a dive shop, I'll sleep in a dive shop.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#11  Postby MynN » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:30 am

Oh ok.. so mask n snorkel shud b first.. n then wetsuit or booties n fins? which comes first?

window shopping sounds good.. as i practically love anything to do with shopping! hehehe..
mask shud be alrite to noe if it fits but how abt wetsuits? is it the same as donning a pair of jeans n if u cant squat means its too tight? there was once i tried on a wetsuit n the cuffs on my wrists n legs were really tight. is it normal?
the rest was ok.. when i tried one size larger it was too loose.. so how?
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:21 pm

kekeke... in fact, i personally think that wetsuit should go first then only fins :)

first thing is hygienic :) ... follow by booties and fins :)

about your 2 sizes of wetsuits.. if the next one is too loose, then u might want to get the tighter one :) but make sure it's not to tight... it must be snug and that u can still breath easily :) else.... u have to custom make one :)
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#13  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:46 pm

MynN...don't worry about the cuffs. The wetsuit will condition itself after a few dives.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#14  Postby MynN » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:12 pm

So first things first..
Hv to get myself a mask n snorkel.. then wetsuit.. then probably fins n booties..n so on.. 8-)

One more qn, thickness of wetsuit? 3mm sufficient ?

Thank u for ur patient replies...  :)
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby zimm » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:36 pm

to me, 2mm+3mm is rather sufficient for our water. i get cold easily underwater so i go for a thicker suit so it makes me feel warm & comfortable while diving but pls bare in mind, this thick suits are not easy to wear them!
Last edited by zimm on Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.
For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it. For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it.
zimm
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#16  Postby MynN » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:43 pm

hi zimm,

nice meeting u..yea i get cold easily too!! so probably i shud get a thicker suit.. btw wut do u mean its harder to wear? n is it because its thicker that is why the cuffs r tighter?
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm

2mm/3mm should suffice. This is my 1500th posting. Okay...time to go to Ijok for some late night partying. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#18  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:33 am

thicker means...susah nak masuk :) and when after u zip up...ur ability to move is a bit limited :)

it's the same as, when u wear a t-shirt only....or  when u wear 2 t-shirts, 1 fleece, 1 thick jacket during winter time .... u'll know that your mobility is limited :) compare to only 1 t-shirt  :)

in our tropical waters... i think 3/2 is sufficient.. if u still cannot tahan...  u can wear another vest or rash guard inside... of if u really really cannot tahan.. then get a 5mm :)
and the price for a wetsuit might not be that cheap.. so, it's good if u can try it out first.. and see which one is more suitable for you... then only u commit to one :)
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#19  Postby MynN » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:29 am

Hi MynN

I would consider get a wetsuit .. for hygiene purpose  8-). Doesn't matter which brand most important is fitting the suit.

Extremely important to have your own mask,snorkel and proper diving fin...you need to get right fitting if you want to enjoy this sport. i'm telling the truth. Go to the local diveshop where closed to you and try them all out. make sure you 100% comfortable what you try on doesn't matter mask,snorkel,fin or wetsuit. before you consider you purchase.

Safe diving

Zaha

Yea i agree with u... For HYGIENIC purposes its truly important to get ur own wetsuit huh.. can u imagine how many ppl used the rented wetsuit before u n how many actually peed in them.. i was forced to pee in mine when i did my OW.. as my instructor said i'm not letting u out to go to the toilet. so u better start learning to let go in the water.. i hold it in as long as i could.. but i was in the water n it was beginning to get cold.. in the end i had too.. :-[ couldnt tahan alrdy.. :-/
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby Nizaha » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:21 am

Good to know you done it  ::). your instructor evil..not let the student go for short break ...  >:( geezz..

Safe diving

Zaha

Hi MynN

Safe diving

Zaha

Yea i agree with u... For HYGIENIC purposes its truly important to get ur own wetsuit huh.. can u imagine how many ppl used the rented wetsuit before u n how many actually peed in them.. i was forced to pee in mine when i did my OW.. as my instructor said i'm not letting u out to go to the toilet. so u better start learning to let go in the water.. i hold it in as long as i could.. but i was in the water n it was beginning to get cold.. in the end i had too.. :-[ couldnt tahan alrdy.. :-/
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:12 pm

kekeke... after diving for quite a while.. i really didn't think of someone would pee on a rental suit :P i know it's possible, just that i've never thought of it... and now that i think of it.... i'm glad i have mine since b4 OW :)
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#22  Postby MynN » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:43 pm

kekeke... after diving for quite a while.. i really didn't think of someone would pee on a rental suit :P i know it's possible, just that i've never thought of it... and now that i think of it.... i'm glad i have mine since b4 OW :)

lucky u!! i still hv to rent for the time being till i save enough to get my self a suit..  :P
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:35 pm

hmmm... u know what, if u "don't think" of all these disgusting/horrify things, our mind will turn out to be ok, it's not only diving, but in all aspects of our lives.

simply eg, peeing on the wetsuit :)..

others would be like, if u r aware of some fishes... maybe triggerfish... then u'll be afraid when going down water.. but if u didn't think of it, or unaware of that situation, u will just jump into the water :)

aspects not related to diving would be that... if u go to a dirty restaurant, u'll feel that u don't quite like the situation and move on to a cleaner one, and u'll eat there. but in the cleaner restaurant, if u go inside their kitchen and watch them the way they prepare food, u'll will not feel like eating there :)

or if u "ter-watch" some disgusting shows/acts, like vomiting .. etc etc...do u still have appetite to eat :P it's all about our mind playing the tricks  ;D
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#24  Postby MynN » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:48 am

hmmm... u know what, if u "don't think" of all these disgusting/horrify things, our mind will turn out to be ok, it's not only diving, but in all aspects of our lives.

others would be like, if u r aware of some fishes... maybe triggerfish... then u'll be afraid when going down water.. but if u didn't think of it, or unaware of that situation, u will just jump into the water :)

aspects not related to diving would be that... if u go to a dirty restaurant, u'll feel that u don't quite like the situation and move on to a cleaner one, and u'll eat there. but in the cleaner restaurant, if u go inside their kitchen and watch them the way they prepare food, u'll will not feel like eating there :)

or if u "ter-watch" some disgusting shows/acts, like vomiting .. etc etc...do u still have appetite to eat :P it's all about our mind playing the tricks  ;D

quite cool huh how our mind works.. its sort of like "corrupting" ur mind of the bad stuff.. as long as u dun acknowledge the existence of such things... u can do crazy stuffs! same thing as watching ghost movies.. its scares u  n it creates the awareness of the things around u... its better not knowing dun u think so?

come to think of it.. i din noe abt triggerfish until i read it in this forum.. argh.. now i'm aware of it.. hehehe..
wuteva it is i'm still gonna jump into the water...  :D
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:53 am

quite cool huh how our mind works.. its sort of like "corrupting" ur mind of the bad stuff.. as long as u dun acknowledge the existence of such things... u can do crazy stuffs! same thing as watching ghost movies.. its scares u  n it creates the awareness of the things around u... its better not knowing dun u think so?

come to think of it.. i din noe abt triggerfish until i read it in this forum.. argh.. now i'm aware of it.. hehehe..
wuteva it is i'm still gonna jump into the water...  :D

kekeke.. yeah.. agree with you :P it's better to be blurr and don't know much thing :P ... but then again, the down side is, what u don't know might cause u harm :P .. triggerfish for eg, if u don't know about it, u'll not scare underwater... but if u encounter one, u will not know what harm can it do to you.... :P

anyway, like you, i also dunno about it, until i read that SD is afraid of it  ;D but still , i refuse to check out what is triggerfish .. how does it look alike :P . kekekeee just jump into the water.. and enjoy myself and hope for the best :P  ;D
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#26  Postby MynN » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:43 am

hahahaha.. u r right! i also found out from there... n i hv yet to get more info abt it.. at times ignorance is bliss huh..but not all the time tho... n btw i'm still allowed some 'blurness' since i dun even hv the time to look around in the water when i'm super bz controlling my buoyancy!  ;) hopefully my experienced buddy ( that if i hv one) or the DM can look out for me!  :D just for the time being.. till i'm more stable n able to lookout for myself!  :D
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:48 am

Sharks are fearsome but beautiful creatures. Triggerfishes are beautiful...they've got very interesting artistic motifs. That is where the similarity ends. You know more about sharks, its habits, its habitat, its character etc., etc.

But no superb documentary producer has ever bothered to do one on Triggerfishes. >:(  So I never know what goes on in its puny brain in between those beady chameleon eyes...and that scares me sh**less. :-/
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#28  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:35 pm

kekekee... as a begineer... my bouyancy also going down the drain... :( well, as they said, practice makes perfect... but i wonder.. if i practice using the wrong technique, forever i'll be going down the drain  :-/

since u r with a DM, i'm sure u will improve fast... :) and i'll need some tunjuk ajar from u soon :)

sd, does triggerfish bites?
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#29  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:57 pm

We have one very stern DM in here....his girlfriend posted in here a week ago saying how stern he is underwater. If you go with him, I'm sure your buoyancy will be perfect even for deep wreck penetration as this DM loves holes. He even has a wing for holes. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Triggerfish bites? Well, I read somewhere that it can bite thru a normal aluminium plate. I'll bring you to Tukun Laut in Perhentian, or at T3. There are big ones for you to try. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#30  Postby MynN » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:34 pm

We have one very stern DM in here....his girlfriend posted in here a week ago saying how stern he is underwater. If you go with him, I'm sure your buoyancy will be perfect even for deep wreck penetration as this DM loves holes. He even has a wing for holes. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Triggerfish bites? Well, I read somewhere that it can bite thru a normal aluminium plate. I'll bring you to Tukun Laut in Perhentian, or at T3. There are big ones for you to try. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Talking abt DM.. there was one when i did my OW said since my buoyancy is quite bad keep on floating up n down, he told my instructor to put the tajam corals underneath n above me.. he said confirm perfect buoyancy level.. hehehehe...

triggerfish can really do that? wah scary... wut damage can they do to us then?
argh, dun wanna noe where they r..  SD, since u noe a lot abt them, be my buddy..  ;) so u can b alert for both of us!!
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Next

Return to Basic Gear