MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Cold Water Diving..7mm Semi Dry or Dry Suit?

Cold Water Diving..7mm Semi Dry or Dry Suit?

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

Cold Water Diving..7mm Semi Dry or Dry Suit?

Post Number:#1  Postby nazimkecik » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:32 pm

Hi folks, just wondering if any of you have had experience diving in 15 C temperature before. Would like to know what kind of insulation was used and whether it was enough. Please share your experiences! thanks!!  :)
nazimkecik

Topic author

Re: Cold Water Diving..7mm Semi Dry or Dry Suit?

Post Number:#2  Postby GOD » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:38 pm

Hi folks, just wondering if any of you have had experience diving in 15 C temperature before. Would like to know what kind of insulation was used and whether it was enough. Please share your experiences! thanks!!  :)

For Comfort ... Dry Suit but you must get proper training to use it, I use Northern Diver.

Another option is to use 5mm or 7mm Semi Dry suit, I use Northern Diver 2 pcs.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby nazimkecik » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:42 pm

U know where to get a cheap one bro?  ::) Semi Dry cheaper than Dry but enough insulation or not?

For Comfort ... Dry Suit but you must get proper training to use it, I use Northern Diver.

Another option is to use 5mm or 7mm Semi Dry suit, I use Northern Diver 2 pcs.

;D
Last edited by nazimkecik on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby GOD » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:54 pm

U know where to get a cheap one bro?  ::) Semi Dry cheaper than Dry but enough insulation or not?

Semi Dry is cheaper, is better for you to buy it in Australia as I dont think any shop around here carry it

Well I opt for Dry Suit is during winter or placest where the wind chill is cold... UK.

If I plan to do 2-3 dives a day, I would go for Dry Suit .... The suit will be wet & I stay dry for coffee or snacks in between dives.

Nowdays company are making 3/5mm dry suit which is light & easy to pack.....not bulky like before.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby mephisto » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:29 pm

snafu....

actually, if every thing remains equal....in 15 C temp....how long a person in dry suit can last compre to a person in semi dry? is semi dry enough for a 45 minutes dive?

for a given temp range, what would you recommend..being practical?
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby GOD » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm

snafu....

actually, if every thing remains equal....in 15 C temp....how long a person in dry suit can last compre to a person in semi dry? is semi dry enough for a 45 minutes dive?

for a given temp range, what would you recommend..being practical?

15C .... Dry Suit more then 45min, provided no leaks

As for Semi Dry ... how long can your body take the cold? 20-45min ...maybe more or less

I would go for Dry Suit.

;D
Last edited by GOD on Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby mephisto » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:13 pm

i have no expiriance in cold water diving....so what would you recommend for diving in around 22-24 C waters?

you mention of leaks...please explain.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby nizaha » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:22 am

i have no expiriance in cold water diving....so what would you recommend for diving in around 22-24 C waters?

Here my suggestions 22-24"C you can using 5'mm with hoods and gloves.Normally 1st 10 minute you might feel this (ice cream headache ) after that you good to go, you might be feel chill after 30 minute dive depend on your body. Drysuit coming 2 seal Neoprene and latex . High recommend latex 100% good seal since you're not certified as a drysuit diver you might use wetsuit instant drysuit. it's mean your skin expose to cold water !
IF you go for drysuit you need special training for that, i can teach this course but you need fly to Canada ;). i give you special price .Let me know !

Safe diving

Zaha
Last edited by Nizaha on Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby GOD » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:59 pm

22-24 C ... 5mm or 7mm wetsuit/semidry.

Leaks around the seal..... Neck, Wrist, ankle, dump valve(if U have one) & zippers.

BTW..beauty of using the dry suit is wearing the undersuit... can be anything as long as is enough to keep you warm....ie. jeans & tshirt can do.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby nazimkecik » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:58 pm

Hmmm..interesting..but if have to wee wee then how?... :o

22-24 C ... 5mm or 7mm wetsuit/semidry.

Leaks around the seal..... Neck, Wrist, ankle, dump valve(if U have one) & zippers.

BTW..beauty of using the dry suit is wearing the undersuit... can be anything as long as is enough to keep you warm....ie. jeans & tshirt can do.

;D

nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby GOD » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:12 pm

2 way of going about it:

1. Include Pee Valve when u order your dry suit

2. Use Pee bag .... like in the hospital

Anyway when your body are warm ... sure no pee when underwater.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby nizaha » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:24 pm

2 way of going about it:

1. Include Pee Valve when u order your dry suit

2. Use Pee bag .... like in the hospital

Anyway when your body are warm ... sure no pee when underwater.

;D

make sure you choose the right valve  otherwise you will spray your pee pee all over yourself and friend...ahhahaa ;D especially when you forget to unscrew the nut !!!

Pee valve also coming with 2 diferrent method. balanced( one ways valve) and un balanced . i'm prefer balanced. i have install balanced valve both of my drysuit.

safe dive

Zaha
Last edited by Nizaha on Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby nazimkecik » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:56 am

Thanks for the info so far guys, it's been very informative. So this pee valve and pee bag is like a sack that sits in your drysuit? your 'private' sticks into it throughout the dive or what? still trying to imagine.. :o
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby Jim » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:56 am

wei.... for budget concious, can use pampers or not?
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby superkingkong » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:09 am

If u r not gonna buy it, u can rent it. shops can give u some basic training of using it, but no cert one lah :P

for the wetsuit, a useful tip if u're gonna dive in cold water is that before u zip up, pour some cold water into the suit, so that when u jump into the water, u'll not get so much of "cold water rush" which can make one panic, if u know what i mean :)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby nazimkecik » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:19 am

Some of the advice i got from the locals:

Andrew From Victoria:

I'm using a 3mm wetsuit at the moment with a 2mm shortie underneath for longer or deeper dives. Water temp now is just under 20c.
When the temp drops below 18ish I change to a drysuit. In winter it gets down to 10c in the bay which is ccccold, but I still dive every weekend.
Most local divers use a 5mm semidry or wetsuit in summer and change to a 7mm semidry or a drysuit in colder months.
Coming from tropical Malaysia it would take some time to adjust to colder water diving. I reckon you would need the 7mm semidry here all year round.

Matt from Melbourne:

Nice to hear from you... a 3mm is only good for summer say from Jan-march less time if your used to warm water. A 5 to 8mm semi dry is what most people dive here as the water gets down to 10 during winter to 24 in summer. The average would be around 16 -18 degrees C. We are very lucky are the cold water means a lot more color is in the sponges and reef. Warmer water tends to suffer from sun bleaching. We also have a lot of wrecks to dive and 5 subs.
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby nizaha » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:26 pm

Some of the advice i got from the locals:

Andrew From Victoria:

I'm using a 3mm wetsuit at the moment with a 2mm shortie underneath for longer or deeper dives. Water temp now is just under 20c.
When the temp drops below 18ish I change to a drysuit. In winter it gets down to 10c in the bay which is ccccold, but I still dive every weekend.
Most local divers use a 5mm semidry or wetsuit in summer and change to a 7mm semidry or a drysuit in colder months.
Coming from tropical Malaysia it would take some time to adjust to colder water diving. I reckon you would need the 7mm semidry here all year round.

Matt from Melbourne:

Nice to hear from you... a 3mm is only good for summer say from Jan-march less time if your used to warm water. A 5 to 8mm semi dry is what most people dive here as the water gets down to 10 during winter to 24 in summer. The average would be around 16 -18 degrees C. We are very lucky are the cold water means a lot more color is in the sponges and reef. Warmer water tends to suffer from sun bleaching. We also have a lot of wrecks to dive and 5 subs.

i think that a good point to get an advice from local there. 7mm semidry way to go !

Safe diving

Zaha
Last edited by Nizaha on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby GOD » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:42 am

Thanks for the info so far guys, it's been very informative. So this pee valve and pee bag is like a sack that sits in your drysuit? your 'private' sticks into it throughout the dive or what? still trying to imagine.. :o

Condom with tube  ;D

Just remember that you are coming from MALAYSIA ..... is going to be bloody cold at 15C-20C.

7mm semidry will be cold for you too... think about surfacing after dive with the wind chill & need to get out of the wet gear ...... later after 1-2 hours, suit-up again for next dive  :o

I was using 7mm semidry in Tassie with water temp of 18C .... IS COLD bro.

Worst is the wind chill.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby nizaha » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:10 am

Condom with tube  ;D

Just remember that you are coming from MALAYSIA ..... is going to be bloody cold at 15C-20C.

7mm semidry will be cold for you too... think about surfacing after dive with the wind chill & need to get out of the wet gear ...... later after 1-2 hours, suit-up again for next dive  :o

I was using 7mm semidry in Tassie with water temp of 18C .... IS COLD bro.

Worst is the wind chill.

;D

Oh yeah.. i got one time my drysuit leak from my dry glove seal ( stupid zaha ( Clumsy ) it's cold. imagine 15C water in your suit for 45 minute dive..

Windchill  >:( . i don't mind diving in extremly cold like -2 but with windchill it just killing me !!
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby superkingkong » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:21 am

it's good if u can rent those wetsuits or drysuits for the first few times, and see whether u can tahan or not, before commiting to get it.. coz it's ain't cheap for drysuit :) if $$ is no problem for you, just grab a drysuit lah... :)

hey snafu... wondering those condom with tube... is it as flexible as condoms? or u can select sizes according to you lil' brother?  ;D ;D

worst thing is, when the shop tells you, erm, we don't have that kind small sizes, we need to back to back order for such sizes  ;D  ;D  ;D
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby nazimkecik » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:22 am

sure got size one..malaysia boleh!..muahahaha.. ;D

it's good if u can rent those wetsuits or drysuits for the first few times, and see whether u can tahan or not, before commiting to get it.. coz it's ain't cheap for drysuit :) if $$ is no problem for you, just grab a drysuit lah... :)

hey snafu... wondering those condom with tube... is it as flexible as condoms? or u can select sizes according to you lil' brother?  ;D ;D

worst thing is, when the shop tells you, erm, we don't have that kind small sizes, we need to back to back order for such sizes  ;D  ;D  ;D
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby anas » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:29 am

don't ask snafu about the sizes lah.. ask him about flavors instead... hahaha
wht u want? strawberry or durian flavored?

reverting to topic, snafu or zaha, u have pics of those? and how does it work? i mean under pressure and all, with valve? do u have to 'push' hard in order to get urine out?
Last edited by anas on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby nizaha » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:11 am

don't ask snafu about the sizes lah.. ask him about flavors instead... hahaha
wht u want? strawberry or durian flavored?

reverting to topic, snafu or zaha, u have pics of those? and how does it work? i mean under pressure and all, with valve? do u have to 'push' hard in order to get urine out?

greeting Sheik !

LOL... i need to laugh about 1st question.. you guys just hilarious !!!  [smiley=grin.gif]

The Condom Catheter.

Ladies read no further :-?

normally here we call Catheter, Condom Style for Use with Relief Valve.. i think it's pretty straight foward. it's look like comdom but the end got holes to attach a tubing. most people i know here using balanced pee valve instead unblanced once. balanced( one way valve ) avoids any small kinks becoming unmanageable at depth due to squeeze.
Pee often and moderately, dont wait till your bursting the go in a big rush!

BUT lots of people got infection aswell.. OUCHH!! you need to clean often especially the tubing to avoid this kind of crap !!! keep in mind

i'm not really use much at least i do really long deep dive like 80 to 100 minute dive in 15'' C water.

safe dive

Zaha
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby GOD » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:15 am

Pee Valve pix.

www.omsdive.com/dryacces.html

Pee Valve pix. include condom

www.divetekadventures.com/Technical_PeeValves.htm

Please use GOOGLE search to find out more info about this..... I SHY la wei!!!!!!

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby anas » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:25 am

Before Zaha is labeled Sexist; I know Snafu is, let me come to your rescue...

we now get some ideas on the dry suit waste dump.

how about female dry suit? How now, brown cow??
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby nizaha » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:37 am

usually they use a  diapers.
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby GOD » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:46 am

YUP... Diapers it is.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby nazimkecik » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:50 pm

That means for Men also can use diapers la right?..

YUP... Diapers it is.

;D
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby GOD » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:26 pm

That means for Men also can use diapers la right?..

Can ... why not.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby mocha » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:41 pm

one more question before anyone lock this thread.... ;) :D say if u rent a drysuit... does that mean u are using the same pee valve as the rest ka???
mocha

Topic author

Next

Return to Basic Gear