MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Jetfins vs Split fins

Jetfins vs Split fins

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

Jetfins vs Split fins

Post Number:#1  Postby shutterprincess » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:59 pm

Dunno if this topic is redundant, however if someone can point me to a thread similar to this would be much appreciated. But if not, am contemplating on changing my Seac propulsion paddle fins to the either ones mentioned above. I have 2 brands in mind, the Scubapro Jetfins or the Apollo Bio fins Pro?
Christine aka shutterprincess
An avid diver + tennis enthusiast
shutterprincess
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Jetfins vs Split fins

Post Number:#2  Postby dp » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:01 pm

it all depends on what sort of diving you want to do, i guess. As both fins have their strengths and also weaknesses.

Jet Fins
Pros -
i) can be fast and stops just as fast too.
ii) can do a variety of kick styles - small flutter, big scissor kicks, frogkicks, reverse kicks...helicopter oso can (i kid you not)
iii) easy to maneuver UW
iv) not so heavy
v) blades are short so you can actually walk forward prior to doing the giant stride on LOBs

Cons 
U need to have strong legs, as the fins are a wee bit stiff. And it will leave you vulnerable to cramps and whatnots after say...the second or third dive of the day.

Atomic splits
Pros
i) fast - but only when u do small, quick kicks - akin to a motorboat propeller lah.
ii) easy manueverability.
iii) erm. thats about it.

Cons
i) Heavy (not good if u are flying AA)
ii) one kicking style only - the flutter. cant really do frogkicks with this one. you will find yourself not moving if u do giant scissor kicks too. Can be a challenge when fighting currents.
iii) long blades will make you look like donald duck walking to the dive platform on LOBs. :)

however, do note that these pros and cons are purely from personal experience and preference (yeah, i also tend to frogkick my way thru dives). So opinions may defer.

other members are welcomed to add on or debate to what i have written here.
Last edited by dp on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby fizah83 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:44 pm

i would go for the biofin (as i've got one oready  ;)) hehehehe...it suits me as i tend 2 cramp easily using othr type of fin.  [-( (shld exercise more i guess).  tried quite a number of othr fins n stil find my biofin d best. except i haven't tried it during strong current (whr i'm suck at it). mild current biofin suits me well..  ;)

good luck on ur finding..  :)
fizah83
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby irukandji » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:08 pm

If they are good enuf for the DIR divers and the Navy/Marine divers, they are good enuf for me. Jetfin is my choice!
The Ocean is Calling, Let's go DIVING!
irukandji
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 9

Post Number:#5  Postby swong » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:12 pm

I really like the Jetfins however the pocket is quite hard to my liking, it hurt the top of my feet.
Diving is only part of the experience… People, places and attitude make the memories that last a life time! - Jim
swong
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby urchin » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:44 am

irukanji wrote:If they are good enuf for the DIR divers and the Navy/Marine divers, they are good enuf for me. Jetfin is my choice!

what irukanji san mention is true, because i come from this place the Navy, us diver,scuba pro jet fin power. :icon_salut:
urchin
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby Nizaha » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:17 am

jetfin, Turtle fin and OMS slipstream. They all good.

Safe Diving.
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby fun diver » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:23 am

I would prefer Jetfin eventhough it's a bit heavier, but its allow me to do variety of kicking styles. And it is powerfull too.

Just that u have to find proper size for your foot and it is suitable with soft sole booties.

At the end of the day, it depends on the sort of diving that u want as mention by dp, and find the most suitable and comfortable for you.

Shutterprincess-----> If u have the chance, try both fins (jetfin and splitfin) underwater.. then only choose the one that suit u the most.
fun diver
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:10 am

Me likey Jetfins...be they original or original imitation  :D :D :D :D :D

And they're black.

Once you go black, you never go back!  :D :D :D :D :D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#10  Postby shutterprincess » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:30 pm

Thanx all, still contemplating to get the Scuba Pro twinjets or the Apollo Bio Fin, some even suggested the Atomic splits.. How how how? Headache.. I like the Apollo also because it comes in pink thats all. The rest are boring colours. My theme is pink so there you go. Jetfins, I am afraid my legs cannot survive 4 dives a day with that!  [-(
shutterprincess
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby dp » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:34 am

shutterprincess wrote:Thanx all, still contemplating to get the Scuba Pro twinjets or the Apollo Bio Fin, some even suggested the Atomic splits.. How how how? Headache.. I like the Apollo also because it comes in pink thats all. The rest are boring colours. My theme is pink so there you go. Jetfins, I am afraid my legs cannot survive 4 dives a day with that!  [-(

looks like you dont have to think long and hard had as you mentioned pink being the colour of choice. Twin jets n Atomics do not come in pink.

oh. oxycheq has an18lb wing in pink as well - for that perfect colour combo.

too late now, i guess.
Last edited by dp on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#12  Postby shutterprincess » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:50 am

No not too late.. i knew abt the pink Oxycheq, saw it.. but I think its going to be an overkill so thats why.. and besides i think I would prefer to get something good in terms of quality and performance rather than just for looks..

now for looks, i can acessorise.. hehehe.. pink fins anyone anywhere? otherwise maybe i try the jetfins revo(was told that its lighter) or the twin jets? or just stick to my pink apollo? decisions decisions..
shutterprincess
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby dp » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:32 am

shutterprincess wrote:No not too late.. i knew abt the pink Oxycheq, saw it.. but I think its going to be an overkill so thats why.. and besides i think I would prefer to get something good in terms of quality and performance rather than just for looks..

now for looks, i can acessorise.. hehehe.. pink fins anyone anywhere? otherwise maybe i try the jetfins revo(was told that its lighter) or the twin jets? or just stick to my pink apollo? decisions decisions..

Well, if your wetsuit is fully pink, then yes, i agree that the pink oxycheq wing will be an overkill.

But then again, i dont think having pink fins alone counts as colour coordinating either...hor.

But who am i to say, as i still harbour a dream of one day having an ultraman wetsuit with silver fins.

;)
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#14  Postby tulip » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:26 am

ultraman suit with silver fins? mmm.. i dun think they match la dp. try blue fins.. nicer kot?  :P :D :D
err... huh?
tulip
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#15  Postby ScubaBunny » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:36 am

He looks much better as Power Rangers rather ultraman.. By the way.. DP we still have vacancy for GREEN ranger..

Tulip - Blue Ranger
Me - Pink Ranger
Mun - Red Ranger
Nazir - Black Ranger (I wonder why??? )
JD / Henry - Yellow Ranger (comes with age..)  :P
Vacant - Green Ranger

So? any takers?

By the way.. I use the Mares Plana Avantitre - simple fin, easy to pack & lightweight, does the job - Finning underwater. At the moment, i dont think id change, coz, i dont really do ultraman diving (currents and wat not).
If ur a fashion diva.. Yeah.. Go all pinkish.. Dat would be the 1st.. Good Luck!  :hello:
ScubaBunny
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby fizah83 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:32 am

shutterprincess wrote:Thanx all, still contemplating to get the Scuba Pro twinjets or the Apollo Bio Fin, some even suggested the Atomic splits.. How how how? Headache.. I like the Apollo also because it comes in pink thats all. The rest are boring colours. My theme is pink so there you go. Jetfins, I am afraid my legs cannot survive 4 dives a day with that!  [-(

apollo does come in pink? hehehehe... ;) u hav a hard decision 2 go thr gurl. one of d reason i chose apollo because they got blue fin tht looks almost 2 purple  ;) (acceptable tone lorr).. but most important whether it suits u or not.. jus like d rest of d guys said.  better use it thn make it as a display..hehehehe

gud luck on ur decision..
fizah83
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:59 am

Good inputs.

However, going back to discussion, DP's points on the pros and cons are good.  I cannot use split fins on tchnical dives as I do not have the lift needed to keep me in a horizontal position for long.  I could still do it with my Mares Volo, and of course my Jet Fins.  Now I will have to try it with my newly-won Aqualung Slingshot.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#18  Postby dp » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:01 pm

John F SeaDemon wrote:Good inputs.

However, going back to discussion, DP's points on the pros and cons are good.  I cannot use split fins on tchnical dives as I do not have the lift needed to keep me in a horizontal position for long.  I could still do it with my Mares Volo, and of course my Jet Fins.  Now I will have to try it with my newly-won Aqualung Slingshot.

Slingshot? Remind me not to be behind u next time we dive.

This was how i found out that the Jet Fins were made of hard, stiff rubber and had excellent maneuverability underwater - was behind Spazm taking some photos when he changed directions...

:P
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#19  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:08 am

well shutterprincess, it look like you have narrowed down your options.

now why not give them a try first if possible just to make sure.

but apollo bios pink- you cant go wrong here. they are good fins. also pink colour can back up as surface signaling device.

if possible and if you are capable of driving them, get the ones with hardest profile. normal profile bios are good but are somewhat too soft for finning againts intermidiate current.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#20  Postby Babygal » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 am

Hi Shutter Princess...
I already have 3 pairs of fins.....because I have been looking for fins that fits my tiny feet.....

The Mares Avanti Quodro....
Which is pretty cool but not for people with weak ankles and I have sprained both my ankle due to skating.....and when I was diving the red sea....and the strong currents......trust me if you have strong ankles it would be great but as for me it didn't work well...maybe also then my finning techniques was NOT good.... :P

Atomic fins.....
Nice and light.....it positive fins so you'll never loose them.....but it is true that with the Atomic ur kicks will be really tiny.....
but it is really nice and fast....
Also gals have more bouyant legs....and some people find it not so good for snorkling....

Lastly....
Apolo Bio Fins.....the love of my life....:P
Heavy I agree....but it is fast and you can use it in any conditions under the sea....
also use a few different methods of finning.....take some getting use to but other than that all that have been said about the biofin is true....

Also if you do underwater photography.....some will tell you split fins are no good because it will kick up silts.....I dunno how true it is coz i'm not into photography....maybe someone else will be able to answer this question :P
:P :P
Babygal
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby Leafy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:47 pm

dp wrote:But who am i to say, as i still harbour a dream of one day having an ultraman wetsuit with silver fins.
;)

...and the suit comes with the flashing red lights at your chest when you're low on air? :D
--
Website : http://www.leafbug.org “Don’t tell the story if you don’t have the pictures” - National Geographic
Leafy
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby dp » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:33 pm

Leafy wrote:
dp wrote:But who am i to say, as i still harbour a dream of one day having an ultraman wetsuit with silver fins.
;)

...and the suit comes with the flashing red lights at your chest when you're low on air? :D

you read my mind, bro.. heheh. tho i think it will only activate after 45 minutes instead of the usual 3 minutes lah.

:D :D :D

Having sed that, its also a good indicator to the boatman when we ascend.
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#23  Postby SDITDI DC » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:43 am

shutterprincess wrote:Dunno if this topic is redundant, however if someone can point me to a thread similar to this would be much appreciated. But if not, am contemplating on changing my Seac propulsion paddle fins to the either ones mentioned above. I have 2 brands in mind, the Scubapro Jetfins or the Apollo Bio fins Pro?

If you are not concern about the price different, you should try Scuba Pro twin Jet Fin instead. The weight about the same, but the performance was excellent. Especially if you would have to go againts strong current.
SDITDI DC
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Return to Basic Gear