MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - mask

mask

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

mask

Post Number:#1  Postby bottle » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:12 am

i am looking for a new mask.  anyone out there care to recommend?
bottle

Topic author

Re: mask

Post Number:#2  Postby evo5555 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:14 am

mcm mcm ada...mari mari pilih!!mares X vision,apollo bio metal,oceanic shadow,Tusa and many more...go and try it in the dive shop.  The mask that fits your face is the best mask.
evo5555

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby nazimkecik » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:26 am

for ladies I recommend trying tusa masks la, so many choices to choose from  :)
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby Jim » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:47 am

i used the same mask that i bot since started diving Tusa Splendive 2.......
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby prob » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:19 am

for ladies I recommend trying tusa masks la, so many choices to choose from  :)

so many choices of colours  ;)
prob

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby GOD » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:20 am

Find mask that fits nicely to your face ... try & match the mask frame colour with your fins or the lines on your wetsuit.

If you plan to do UW photography, go for Black silicon colour.

Trend is to have low volume mask BUT high volume mask looks good too ... I am using low volume mask.

If you wear contact lens or spec & need powered lens for your mask, get 2 window/bio mask frame .... I am using mono frame.

I am using Oceanic Shadow.

GULL & TUSA have nice looking mask .... drop by to your local dive store for more information &  checking the mask range.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby bottle » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:58 pm

thx guys!

where can i find tusa mask? n ape beza high volume low volume mask?
i think black is so coool...  8-)
bottle

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:19 pm

thx guys!

where can i find tusa mask?)

You can try Global Scuba at One Utama. I bought my Tusa Platina mask there. It's now my secondary mask after a small rip at the silicone skirt was discovered (after 2 years).

I now use a Sherwood mask.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby Jim » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:20 pm

Most dive centers would hv tusa.... or u can go to Global Scuba at 1U somewhere near Pizza Hut area facing the escalator. If not mistaken they are the local dealers here
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby bottle » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:30 pm

tis may sound stupid but is there ONE ultimate mask that never fogs dalam dunia ni! :D
no need the use of commercial de-fog, or... spit, will coz a disgusting black mold on the edges of the frame
bottle

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby Jim » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:31 pm

am told but never experience it, the mask with communicator wont fog....  ;D ;D ;D

sorry...
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby mephisto » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:12 pm

tis may sound stupid but is there ONE ultimate mask that never fogs dalam dunia ni! :D
no need the use of commercial de-fog, or... spit, will coz a disgusting black mold on the edges of the frame

there is such a thing called liquid googles. swimming googles that you wear flooded all the time......wont fog...dont have to compensate.....how do you see?....they mount a corrective lens inside so you can see underwater...the catch?...RM 1000 per pair....you supply your own googles.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby matzahar » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:01 pm

Biasa try once... the so-called HydroOptic. Sempoi cam angkasawan. Ader 2 valve kat bawah tu... nak clearing tersangat ler mudah.. (masa demo/try ter ler)...Tapi kalu buat kuak lentang at depths..senang senang je air masuk...

I'm using Tabata Zaboon je..   Seac Sub X Free tu ok tak??

Pasai apa kalau nak buat uw photography kena mask yang kaler hitam??
matzahar

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby MazAmi » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:27 pm

low vol & high vol bezanya the effort it takes to clear the mask. Also some high vol mask allow you to fix prescription lens inside the mask using a plastic spec frame. The advantage is that you can get your exact prescription instead of the OEM standard lens.

black skirt around the mask gives you tunnel vision (good for macro photographers who will not be distracted by the whale shark next to them but not if you're claustophobic). a minor point i think.

asians ada advantage - kita boleh pakai low vol mask that is very close to the eyes (coz banyak ada hidung kemek) to give a "frame free" view

Kalau nak check mask fit muka ke tak - letak mask di muka without putting on the straps, lepas tu inhale sikit thru your nose - kalau mask lekat, ngam lah tu
MazAmi

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby mephisto » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:36 pm

vision wise..biasa laa my rule of thumb....kalau pakai mask tu and tunduk boleh nampak pusat...memang field of vision cantik

also make sure the frame of the mask tak kena the bridge of your eye sockets (ape name saintifik bahagian ni haa?)

kalau kena, nanti can get uncomfortable during long durations..especialy true for low volume mask.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby unsaid » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:21 pm

Hey guys,

For TUSA Mask, any idea if can get discount what should be the price range so I wont get chopped. lol :blob6:

Thanks  :walk:
unsaid
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:38 pm

hello unsaid.

as i mention in your intro tread, we cant advice on price or discount. its better to talk to the retailers themself. and dont worry, the dive shops here are not the cut throat type.

price can range from RM100-400 depending on the type of mask. as for on how to find a suitable mask, please refer to the past tread for info.

if you go to global scuba, please ask for Boo and say Alfian refered you to them. you will be taken care of.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#18  Postby BubbleBeaver » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:03 pm

just bought an Apollo Bio-Metal mask after my previous Oceanic Shadow tore on the silicone skirting. Had no idea about this mask when i bought it, but it was an emergency purchase for work. asked the office to send one out to me without trying it on first, which made me a little nervous about the no-refund policy. But the mask fit like a glove and is much more comfortable than my Oceanic Shadow.

My only rant is that the APollo Bio-metal Mask is f@#king expensive. I've never EVER had to pay what i paid for a mask. And since it was KK prices, even more so. The only consolation for my pockets being emptied is that its a really comfortable mask. Hopefully skirting can be replaced if tears. I notice that the silicone skirting around the nose is extremely thin, which may make it subject to pre-mature tearing if not properly taken care of.
BubbleBeaver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby MasAduka » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:13 pm

My mask is F&*king cheap, RM 70 with a snorkel, I have been enjoying with it...........reef / inner space tour.
Make living on what we get, life for what we give.
MasAduka
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby taufik » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:25 am

a friend told me once to look for wide skirted mask ....n i agree with him...but they dont make wide skirted mask nemore these days...
taufik
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Return to Basic Gear