MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Apollo Bio Fin vs Atomic Splitfin

Apollo Bio Fin vs Atomic Splitfin

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

Apollo Bio Fin vs Atomic Splitfin

Post Number:#1  Postby MynN » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:59 pm

Hello peeps!!

Need some opinion on the above fins.. Especially from female divers who have tried them.. I'm considering to get a pair of fins.. but i'm not sure of which to get.. any pros and cons?
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: Apollo Bio Fin vs Atomic Splitfin

Post Number:#2  Postby MynN » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:07 pm

Oh and how about gull fins.. anyone?
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby Nizaha » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:17 pm

Both fin are the same. But atomic split fin come with stiffer blade or softer blade. Also the Buckle strap from Atomic also interesting features..

Safe diving
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby bijan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:27 pm

have a read here..review on different set of fins

http://malaysianunderwater.com/smff/ind ... 217.0.html

the blade of the bio fin is softer..better try it out la beb..if ur M size, can lend u my atomic..
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#5  Postby mocha » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:51 pm

Mynn: u not interested in force fins??? hehe....

p/s: how's kite flying??  ;) :P
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#6  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:59 pm

yup. as been said before. try before deciding.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#7  Postby MynN » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:16 pm

Hey mocha!!

Actually, i've nvr tried open heel fins.. been using the basic full footed that they hv at the dive shops.. So, right now i have the budget to buy a pair and i've been eyeing those two.. (but i dun know how they feel underwater and whether they would be fine for my xs/s size). whereas for ff, dun really fancy the design..  [-(
so how???

p/s: kite flying, AWESOME!! ;)
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby Andy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:37 pm

I am using conventional fins right now but have tried both Bio fins and atomic fins before. I actually like them. They feel comfortable,  light in the water, move better, and you feel less tire when using them against the current, comparing to conventional fins. If I am changing to new fins, they will be my choice.

On my test dives, I feel that Atomic fins are closer to conventional fins, stiffener. Bio fins really feel “light” in the water. It is almost like not wearing anything. There is a bigger adjustment switching to Bio fins if you are using conventional fins now. Somehow the softness and feeling of kicking without the feel of water resistance of Bio fins just need some getting use to.

There is one thing I don't like about bio fins is they are almost impossible to be held neutral when stationary (which I can do easily with my Quarttro). For example when I am taking photos and try to stay neutral, the fins always sink. It ended up I have to rest the fins on something when taking photos all the time. I wonder it others feel the same way about the Bio fins?

Atomic fins do come with quick release buckles which make putting on and taking off the fins easy. However, the fin straps of bio fins are one of the most comfortable IMO. If I am not mistaken, Bio fins also come with factory fitted spring straps.

Personally, I prefer Atomic fins over Bio fins just for the above reason that I mentioned.
Andy
Diver
Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#9  Postby reen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:56 pm

Andy wrote:On my test dives, I feel that Atomic fins are closer to conventional fins, stiffener.

~~>true..true..because not pure rubber maaa....
Andy wrote: Bio fins really feel “light” in the water. It is almost like not wearing anything. There is a bigger adjustment switching to Bio fins if you are using conventional fins now. Somehow the softness and feeling of kicking without the feel of water resistance of Bio fins just need some getting use to..

~~>true..true...coz pure rubber maaa...

Andy wrote:There is one thing I don't like about bio fins is they are almost impossible to be held neutral when stationary (which I can do easily with my Quarttro). For example when I am taking photos and try to stay neutral, the fins always sink. It ended up I have to rest the fins on something when taking photos all the time. I wonder it others feel the same way about the Bio fins? ..

~~>i feel ya....pure rubber (which is BIO) sink fast compare to Quarttro.. :crybaby2:
reen

Return to Basic Gear