MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Propulsion System........why u choose the FINs?

Propulsion System........why u choose the FINs?

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

Re: Propulsion System........why u choose the FINs?

Post Number:#31  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:44 am

I'm always a sucker for fins.... most ppl go and buy all kind of reg i will look for fins...
first started using some el-cheapo local brand rubber fins in the poo, but believe mel... they do last long! i still have them!  

Full foot El-cheapo local rubber fins(dun remember what brand)
Pros: dirt cheap like RM 40 back 14 years ago..??, last super long... still usable condition till today
Cons: Do not swim in current!

Open Heel Tusa Platina, bought it back in 1999
Pros: Powerful fins, will propel u if u have the strength, has that 2 area that they advertise(DAS or something dun remember the full name) and it really works (i know cause i managed to break 1 and the fins sucks after that) Very good in current
Cons: 1 part of my fin broke! Need strong legs to use it. Heavy!

Open Heel Tusa Imprex, bought it somewhere in 2002, or was it 2003
Pros: Light, my first fin that i feel light, good distribution of ur power to move forward, flexible fins can do any style except reverse. Durable! Still good till today. Overall a good fin for the experienced and newly certified ppl.
Cons: A bit tough in strong current situation, do not let the soft midsection get cut... if it happens u can throw that fin away(seen it happen to my friend's fins)

Full foot Mares AvantiQuattro, 2004
Pros: This is the fin that proved me wrong! Full foot fins can be powerful. Overall good performer
Cons: A bit heavy to my liking, get blisters after using a while, need strong leg

Full foot Beuchat Mundial Competition, bought back in 2005
Pros: VERY VERY powerful fins!!! The best fin i even had. BEST in non overhead environment. MY favourite fin to date
Cons: I managed to break it!!!! :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

Open Heel Mares Volo Power, bought in 2005, i bought it despite everybody i know telling me not to!
Pros: Light, different design good to be showoff , model of a photo. Easy to kick, little effort needed, sort of turbocharged fins, can use all kinds of kick with it.. even reverse!
Cons: Loses it's power in current situation, by that time u'll need more frequency that raw power! unlike my beuchat  :crybaby2:

Fins that i've tried using for at least 4 dives

Open Heel Apollo Bio Fin
Pros: Good for flutter kick style only (useless with other style of kick), little effort needed to propel forward, good extra weight.. hahaha
Cons: Heavy!!!! Cannot use other style of kick, nned to kick very fast in strong current

Forcefins
Pros: Little effort, can conserve energy
Cons: Very very very wierd feeling! But i know ppl who use it swear by it! Heck in fact i went on a search and recovery dive when my friend lost it!
Sex is like math...
add the bed, substract the clothes, divide the legs & pray U don't multiply...
kimseng the maverick rogue
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#32  Postby mocha » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:51 am

kimseng wrote:Forcefins
Cons: Very very very wierd feeling! But i know ppl who use it swear by it! Heck in fact i went on a search and recovery dive [glow=red,2,300]when my friend lost it[/glow]!

your fren lost his FF??? where?? color and size??? coz i know someone found a Force Fins...one side only.... hehe....
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#33  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:05 am

mochaFIN wrote:
kimseng wrote:Forcefins
Cons: Very very very wierd feeling! But i know ppl who use it swear by it! Heck in fact i went on a search and recovery dive [glow=red,2,300]when my friend lost it[/glow]!

your fren lost his FF??? where?? color and size??? coz i know someone found a Force Fins...one side only.... hehe....

hahah dun worry about it.. found the fin after 45min of dedicated time looking for it! btw i was a black fin and she is still using it..lol
Sex is like math...
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#34  Postby SuperKingKong® » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:53 am

am using a OMS Slipstream with OMS spring. similar to jet fins, but a lot lighter. Previously, i was using the Mares Quattro Pro Excel. ppl told me it's good, but to me, maybe it doesn't fit me. probably it was too long. when there is current, i'll cry trying to fin against the current.

finally changed to slipstream, i'm a happy diver now :)

that said, i prefer shorter fin rather than longer one.

Pros: lighter than jet fins, shorter, hence easier to pack.

Cons:  Price wise, more expensive than jetfins. other than that.. no complain :)

cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#35  Postby HoleMaster » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:47 pm

babyFin wrote:
HoleMaster wrote:
babyFin wrote:
HoleMaster wrote:Currently using XS Scuba Jet Fins with Spring Heel Strap
Cons:
- Heavy (not as heavy as Scubapro's), need strong legs for good results. Not recommended for beginners

how about ladydiver? appropriate?
:angel8: :angel8: :angel8:

Yup. Its the proper kicking not the gender ;)

Thanx..actualy wat i mean was, as u know ladies strenght compare to a guy..

Ladies oso can provided u hv strong legs. If all this while u have been diving with "solid/hard" fins, i dont see any problem of women diverting to Jet fins. Strong legs does not necessarily mean big legs, as long as u hv the strength to kick. I know a small sized lady instructor who uses Jet Fins, no complains.
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#36  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:00 pm

mephisto,
just saw ur fins collection.... where do u get the FD ones from? Have u tried cressi's line up?
Was thinking of Cressi 2000HFfins as an alternative since beuchat i broke my beuchat.  :crybaby2: :crybaby2: yet to replace it :crybaby2: :crybaby2:
Sex is like math...
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#37  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:04 pm

kimseng wrote:mephisto,
just saw ur fins collection.... where do u get the FD ones from? Have u tried cressi's line up?
Was thinking of Cressi 2000HFfins as an alternative since beuchat i broke my beuchat.  :crybaby2: :crybaby2: yet to replace it :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

I got my esclapez on the net. they have 2 profiles, sort and hard. mine is the hard ones.

i have not tried cressi line up. but i bet they are good from the reviews that they are getting and also for a fact they are developed with Umberto Pellizari. but if you ask me, i would go for the hardest profile blades, knowing that you have driven mundials comp before. the 2000HF is the hardest profile right?
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#38  Postby sheik » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:43 pm

ProForceFin with Bungie. That's what i use now as primary, don't have other second pair. It all started when I dived with a few Army Commando (combat divers). Didn't know where to get them at that time. Then last year, Snafu let me use his force fins--i straight away loved them. This year we are seeing the number of force finners has grown in this circle.

Pro:
Ultimate Finning Machine and Sheer Finning Pleasure (like BMW)
Don't leave home without 'em (Like Amex)
Good Fin, Good Life  (like Nestle)
Simply the Best (Auntie Tina used to sing)

Con:
None so far.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#39  Postby SOMBRE » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:51 pm

Force Fins are the way to go....nothing more for me too add, others have said it all.

I just love it.
Like Chalk and Cheese
SOMBRE
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#40  Postby Ery » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:24 pm

my scubapro twin-jet not so satisfying. I'm looking forward to try others.  [-( [-( [-(
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#41  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:01 am

mephisto FIN wrote:I got my esclapez on the net. they have 2 profiles, sort and hard. mine is the hard ones.

i have not tried cressi line up. but i bet they are good from the reviews that they are getting and also for a fact they are developed with Umberto Pellizari. but if you ask me, i would go for the hardest profile blades, knowing that you have driven mundials comp before. the 2000HF is the hardest profile right?

Thought of buying it off the net but i'm very afraid for the customs... a few times i had to go to klia cargo to collect and pay tax for items that i've bought of the net... so kinda customs phobia now.. just dun want the hassle.
Cressi's line up are sold in thailand... might ask a friend to buy it for me there. i didn't do much reading about the fins, just from recomendations... i take ppls words for gold hehehe...
yeap my mundails are hard and broken hahahaha :laughing11:
Sex is like math...
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#42  Postby ayeed76 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:15 am

hi buddy.. just want share something on tis topics..
since my first dive till now im using ATOMIC Aquatics -split fins..
it really help me..by a single kicking..i can move far from usual fins..its help me to save energy..especially while swim againts current

the details may refer to  http://www.atomicaquatics.com/
im the ocean & jungle man...
ayeed76
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#43  Postby shafi » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:52 am

babyFin wrote:
HoleMaster wrote:
babyFin wrote:
Cons:
- Heavy (not as heavy as Scubapro's), need strong legs for good results. Not recommended for beginners

:hello:  Come on, gurl... Use what your mama gave yah... Its all about technique, not strength. I echo Holey's comment. Nothing to do with gender. Being in the gym and doing karate all these years, I have observed girls with awesome leg-strength and stability, on par with their male-mates. Tarak hal!! (No problems)  :)
To die as I have lived.....*Paulo Coelho*
shafi
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#44  Postby Adzri » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:01 am

shaFIN wrote:
babyFin wrote:
HoleMaster wrote:
babyFin wrote:
Cons:

:hello:  Come on, gurl... Use what your mama gave yah... Its all about technique, not strength. I echo Holey's comment. Nothing to do with gender. Being in the gym and doing karate all these years, I have observed girls with awesome leg-strength and stability, on par with their male-mates. Tarak hal!! (No problems)   :)

Ya la I agree with you shafin. Its not the fins, its the bouyancy that is important.
Adzri
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#45  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:42 pm

kimseng wrote:
mephisto FIN wrote:I got my esclapez on the net. they have 2 profiles, sort and hard. mine is the hard ones.

Thought of buying it off the net but i'm very afraid for the customs... a few times i had to go to klia cargo to collect and pay tax for items that i've bought of the net... so kinda customs phobia now.. just dun want the hassle.
Cressi's line up are sold in thailand... might ask a friend to buy it for me there. i didn't do much reading about the fins, just from recomendations... i take ppls words for gold hehehe...
yeap my mundails are hard and broken hahahaha :laughing11:

i have not had any trouble with customs so far. i think it depends on from where you buy and and on which courier you decide to use.

i think the garas would be a safe investment, also you might want to ask babyfin also, shes looking for garas. BABYFIN!!! mau beli fin kaa?

do you stil have the foot pocket for the mundials? i thought of cannibalising some foot pocket to retrofit my monos. the current foot pocket on it is killing me. are the foot pocket for the mudials detachable?
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#46  Postby babyFin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:46 pm

mephisto FIN wrote:i think the garas would be a safe investment, also you might want to ask babyfin also, shes looking for garas. BABYFIN!!! mau beli fin kaa?

im looking for the most soft gara..3000 if im not mistaken..
mep, one more question.. millenium ice softer than gara??

[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#47  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:52 pm

I use a MTU 20 cylinder Series 4000 marine engine.

Otherwise I'll be using a Power Fin with spring heel strap, or my trusted, tested and tried MARES Volo open heeled.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#48  Postby MT_Tanc » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:58 pm

good one, mephisto.

i used full fut cressi sub pro star.
i luv heavy stuff.
pros :the blade quite long and easy to accelerated.

cons :sometimes the fins shoes hurt my foot.especially right foot.dunno y.maybe its not because the fins.its me ;)
A good woman will do 70 chores around the house. Cooking and 69
MT_Tanc
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#49  Postby LaraCroft » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:00 pm

FooKinFIN wrote:I use a MTU 20 cylinder Series 4000 marine engine.

Otherwise I'll be using a Power Fin with spring heel strap, or my trusted, tested and tried MARES Volo open heeled.

Psst Deamy... how is the propulsion of MARES Volo? Why did you choose these fins? Please tell me, coz i've been eyeing these Volo for sometime now.. need your comments. Is it good for frog kicks? Wanna sell yours???  ;)
Get busy livin' or Get busy divin'
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#50  Postby babyFin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:11 pm

LaraFIN wrote:

Psst Deamy... how is the propulsion of MARES Volo? Why did you choose these fins? Please tell me, coz i've been eyeing these Volo for sometime now.. need your comments. Is it good for frog kicks? Wanna sell yours???  ;)

mamaLara,

i would like to drop a few words here regarding Mares Volo (from my pint of view). Im using Mares Volo Race all these while. (havent dive with other than my very Mares Volo Race).. Volo power is open heeled and Volo race is full footed. It is soft, and light as well. suits well for beginners and those who want to pamper their lower body.. and I m a froggie style of finning too. I am very comfortable with my fins, never had any blister before from using it.
do add up if something u think need to regarding Mares Volo. ;)

[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#51  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:14 pm

LaraFIN wrote:

I love the VOLO.

It's light. Some people say it is not suitable for tech diving, but I have used it for tech. Again, it is never about the fin, it is about the technique used. Yes, I have used it for frog-kicks, modified frog etc, but braking it is not that easy because it is soft...so you have to brake far.

You wanna buy? Hmm...can discuss. ;)
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#52  Postby babyFin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:20 pm

in Sabah (if im not mistaken), itikuek bought his Mares Volo Race white color..instead of blue and yellow. cun worr..!
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#53  Postby LaraCroft » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:22 pm

Thanx Deamy and Babyfin for the feedbacks.

What bout strong current? How does Volo react to strong current while frog kicking?? I'm asking this coz you guys did say that Volo is soft. ;)
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get busy livin' or Get busy divin'
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#54  Postby babyFin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:36 pm

LaraFIN wrote:Thanx Deamy and Babyfin for the feedbacks.

What bout strong current? How does Volo react to strong current while frog kicking?? I'm asking this coz you guys did say that Volo is soft. ;)

super strong current i got nothing to say..Deamy should elaborate more on this.
but when I went to Tenggol (with u), still I only bring my Super Mares Volo too.. but its not so powderful like jet-fin in againts the current la.. (but so far, I seldom fight the current..just drift along the current). as far as Im concern, the strongest current I ve experienced with my Volo is in Renggis.

[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#55  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:54 pm

babyFin wrote:
mephisto FIN wrote:i think the garas would be a safe investment, also you might want to ask babyfin also, shes looking for garas. BABYFIN!!! mau beli fin kaa?

tak tau (dont know). but i estimate the ice should be SAME or HARDER with the HARDEST garas.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#56  Postby babyFin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:57 pm

mephisto FIN wrote:
babyFin wrote:

tak tau (dont know). but i estimate the ice should be SAME or HARDER with the HARDEST garas.

woo..ok, i bet its a hard damn hard fins i guess.. bc i have to practice first on a soft fin.
remember that day, when u gave ur longfins to try..i was having a hard time even to float. :laughing11:
millenium ice, can wait for me till im ready..

[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#57  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:04 pm

Question: Why do you use frog kick while reacting to strong currents? is not flutter kick more efficient?
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#58  Postby babyFin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:10 pm

mephisto FIN wrote:

Question: Why do you use frog kick while reacting to strong currents? is not flutter kick more efficient?

ya lor mamaLara.. forgotten to mention. thanx mep!
if i ever do the froggie when current, for sure - one step fwd, three step backward.. and so on..  ;)

[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#59  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:40 pm

my foot pocket is somewhere in my uncle's store in perhentian... [-( my size is 43/44 abit bigger than my feet cause i've got a wide feet.. 2E in pathology terms lol.. :D

anyway bout volo in current conditions i've got to fin a lot more.. they are soft in my opinion best used in more relaxing dives but its a good all rounder fin. abit of here and there... just increase the frequency when needed...
Sex is like math...
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#60  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:52 am

anyone has opinions on mares volo power/race/volo vs mares quottro /excel?

thanks.
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Gear