MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - prescription.. how do i know which diaopter to get?

prescription.. how do i know which diaopter to get?

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

prescription.. how do i know which diaopter to get?

Post Number:#1  Postby SuperKingKong® » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:29 am

hehee... stupid questions? :P

well, i wear glasses.. but i knew it by degree... left eye how many degree.. right eye how many degree...
but if i wanna get those for mask... normally they will come with  +1, +1.5 ... bla bla bla...

so, how do i calculate ah? :P

btw.. if i have astigmatism... how do i calculate that? ...

cheers... :)
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Re: prescription.. how do i know which diaopter to get?

Post Number:#2  Postby dp » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:08 pm

my preference are contact lenses.

much due to the fact that i have severe astigmatism (600++ on one eye) hence prescription lenses are rather hard to come by.

not to mention that shud my mask go "bang kruuk kraaakkkk", i can still use my spare one.

:)
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby reen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:40 pm

does astig play a role while we are under water??
I mean does it make the diver some what have problem with their vision??
reen

Post Number:#4  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:49 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:hehee... stupid questions? :P

well, i wear glasses.. but i knew it by degree... left eye how many degree.. right eye how many degree...
but if i wanna get those for mask... normally they will come with  +1, +1.5 ... bla bla bla...

what i did was consult my optician...i said i need to get diopters for my mask and she converted the degree to the + + thing for me.

usually they do it for free. after sales service.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#5  Postby dp » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:18 pm

reen wrote:does astig play a role while we are under water??
I mean does it make the diver some what have problem with their vision??

Actually reen, i doubt that the diver will encounter problems with their vision underwater.

Only that its kinda hard to get prescription lenses for severe astigmatism cases.

But then again, i could be wrong.
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#6  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:00 am

mephisto wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:hehee... stupid questions? :P

what i did was consult my optician...i said i need to get diopters for my mask and she converted the degree to the + + thing for me.

usually they do it for free. after sales service.

haha.. true true.. but in my case.. it's a bit different. i'll have to wait until i go back then only find the slip and go to the optician.
i thought there is an easier way.. just calculate and get that thing here... hehee.. well, guess i'm wrong :)

thinking of doing an eye test here... wondering whether it's expensive or not... hehee
heard that medical bill will come to a very big amount if ppl like me go to see a doc just for a simple fever/flu...
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:05 am

deepblu wrote:my preference are contact lenses.

much due to the fact that i have severe astigmatism (600++ on one eye) hence prescription lenses are rather hard to come by.

not to mention that shud my mask go "bang kruuk kraaakkkk", i can still use my spare one.

hey deepblue.. hahaaa.. i think we r in the same boat :P my astig on my right eye is about 6++ too :P ... but i scared to wear contacts .. .heheee am wearing glasses. saw/heard my friend told me last time... their lenses drop below the eye.. they have to "gorek" it out ... eeee,,, scarry lah... the further more.. have to wash everynite... me lazy lah :D

heard that those hard contact lenses are good for astig...
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby Bones » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:52 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:

hey deepblue.. hahaaa.. i think we r in the same boat :P my astig on my right eye is about 6++ too :P ... but i scared to wear contacts .. .heheee am wearing glasses. saw/heard my friend told me last time... their lenses drop below the eye.. they have to "gorek" it out ... eeee,,, scarry lah... the further more.. have to wash everynite... me lazy lah :D

i use daily contact lenses so the issue of storing and cleaning doesn't arise... but i'm not sure if it is suitable for ppl with astig..

As ffor the lense displacing... well with time you'll get used to it...blink often... the lense displaces when the eyes are dry... blinking helps prevent that... If your mask gets flooded...u do not have to close your eyes... just squint a little bit while you clear it... I can even remove my mask and look around...no problem :)
Fish out of water is like a diver with no air
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:49 pm

Bones wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:

i use daily contact lenses so the issue of storing and cleaning doesn't arise... but i'm not sure if it is suitable for ppl with astig..

As ffor the lense displacing... well with time you'll get used to it...blink often... the lense displaces when the eyes are dry... blinking helps prevent that... If your mask gets flooded...u do not have to close your eyes... just squint a little bit while you clear it... I can even remove my mask and look around...no problem :)

thanks for the input :) appreciate it  ;)
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Return to Basic Gear