MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Mask loose problem..Help

Mask loose problem..Help

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

Mask loose problem..Help

Post Number:#1  Postby MT_Tanc » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:30 pm

hello there..i'm a newbies here..jusk wanna ask i wonder how come the mask strapped on our head can lose?(sory 4 improper language)
A good woman will do 70 chores around the house. Cooking and 69
MT_Tanc
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Re: Mask loose problem..Help

Post Number:#2  Postby MT_Tanc » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:47 pm

thank you mr.Bijan for start a new topic 4 me
A good woman will do 70 chores around the house. Cooking and 69
MT_Tanc
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby Ery » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:20 pm

empty_tank wrote:hello there..i'm a newbies here..jusk wanna ask i wonder how come the mask strapped on our head can lose?(sory 4 improper language)

The mask strapped should not be too tight as when you descending down underwater, it will get tighter caused by the pressure increased.  :glasses9:
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:30 pm

?????
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#5  Postby bijan » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:50 pm

empty_tank wrote:hello there..i'm a newbies here..jusk wanna ask i wonder how come the mask strapped on our head can lose?(sory 4 improper language)

loose as in? it leaks when u're in the water?
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#6  Postby Nitrogen addict » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:00 pm

when it loose tighten it back... by puling the strap.
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#7  Postby HoleMaster » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:07 pm

Empty Tank,

Have u checked the mask buckle whether its properly fastened? The buckle should sit nicely on the strap. Another thing as Ery highlighted the strap should not be too tight. The mask should snug firmly on ur face without straining ur head at the back.

Its like buying a mask, u dont have to tightened the strap whether it fits u. U just  snug it to ur face (by holding ur breath) and look downwards. If it doesnt fall it fits perfectly.

The reason for the strap to be slightly loose is because to prevent from the following:
1. Mask squeeze-If the strap is too tight it will be difficult to release the mask skirt from ur skin when blowing from ur nose.
2. U will get skirt marks on ur face due to increased pressure and strap being too tight
3. Straining ur head when diving, of which will affect ur thinking and judgement. Which is dangerous
Last edited by HoleMaster on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby Ery » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:49 pm

HoleMaster wrote:Empty Tank,

Have u checked the mask buckle whether its properly fastened? The buckle should sit nicely on the strap. Another thing as Ery highlighted the strap should not be too tight. The mask should snug firmly on ur face without straining ur head at the back.

Its like buying a mask, u dont have to tightened the strap whether it fits u. U just  snug it to ur face (by holding ur breath) and look downwards. If it doesnt fall it fits perfectly.

The reason for the strap to be slightly loose is because to prevent from the following:
1. Mask squeeze-If the strap is too tight it will be difficult to release the mask skirt from ur skin when blowing from ur nose.
2. U will get skirt marks on ur face due to increased pressure and strap being too tight
3. Straining ur head when diving, of which will affect ur thinking and judgement. Which is dangerous

Thanks for elaboration bro. I hope he didnt get me wrong for what I've said.  ;)
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby jgshuwei » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:04 pm

SeaDemon wrote:?????

SD, what r u trying to say here?
jgshuwei
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#10  Postby babyFin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:24 pm

nitrogen addict wrote:when it loose tighten it back... by puling the strap.

ya, true true.. as simple as 1, 2, 3.. kraappp!
:angel8: :angel8: :angel8:
[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#11  Postby bikinibottom » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:44 pm

owh yes, whatever it is u dont want to keep yr mask too tight, theres no point to make sure yr mask is in place if all you get is straining, trust me i once experience it n the strain was totally discomfort it ruined my dive, you dont want to play with pressure!! i end up having headaches when everyone was raving abt d dive!  :(
bikinibottom
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby halimi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:21 pm

MT_tank wrote:hello there..i'm a newbies here..jusk wanna ask i wonder how come the mask strapped on our head can lose?(sory 4 improper language)

Hmm, cannot really understand the question la...

Anyway, mask comes loose if the strap too loose...logical isn't it? However, that's really never a problem. Usually the problem is the mask being too tight, not too loose.

If you mean the mask was too loose in the sense that it leaks, that's probably because the mask fitting is not good. Mask must fit nicely and comfortable. Holemaster's detailed description is good. Try borrow some people's mask and see if their's fit better.

For new divers and student divers, usually mask leaks because some hair got under the mask skirting, so water seeps in...not really a problem coz, well, during open water course you'd have been taught about mask clearing right  ;)
"Have Fun, Dive Safely"
My blog: http://surfaceintervals.blogspot.com My underwater images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/halimi/ PADI Dive Center: http://www.oceanelements.com
halimi
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Return to Basic Gear