MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Do u bring down a backup mask with u when diving?

Do u bring down a backup mask with u when diving?

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

Re: Do u bring down a backup mask with u when diving?

Post Number:#31  Postby Nizaha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:03 am

In case, you start think to bring spare mask while diving, Please storage your backup mask in your Bc pocket or thigh pocket. Don't just clip around your Bcd d-ring and let hanging..hehe

Safe Diving

Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#32  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:46 am

Nizaha wrote:

In case, you start think to bring spare mask while diving, Please storage your backup mask in your Bc pocket or thigh pocket. Don't just clip around your Bcd d-ring and let hanging..hehe

Safe Diving

Zaha

thanks zaha... i'm looking for this answer :)
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#33  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:53 am

SeaDemon wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
empty_tank wrote:why we have to bring down a backup mask when diving?

in unforseen circumstances.. probably someone kick u on your face.. and ur mask break or get unstrapped from u and lose it.. or maybe leaking or maybe strap breaks... lots of other reason

is a mask heavy to carry? .. i don't think so.. is it a hassle? .. not really...  but if i dive without mask, will it affects my dive? yes...

so, why not carry one :)

Hmm..looks like you knew your answer before you started this topic.

So why did you ask in the first place? Maybe you should just start a poll and see how may actually carry extra stuff and redundant systems on a recreational dive.

yes.. i read everywhere... i gather all the info.. and i know what is my answer (roughly)... but i want to look for opinions... more opinions.. and since im from m'sia, i thought i should post it here... becoz same culture.. similar taste

and is this forum not about asking for more info? well, i'll stop posting rubbish.
and if all these while, i have been posting rubbish.. i would like to apologize.

and no... i don't know how to store a mask if i have to bring it down. i have never brought it down before. so, zaha answered my next question.
Last edited by SuperKingKong® on Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#34  Postby Nizaha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:23 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:
SeaDemon wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
empty_tank wrote:why we have to bring down a backup mask when diving?

in unforseen circumstances.. probably someone kick u on your face.. and ur mask break or get unstrapped from u and lose it.. or maybe leaking or maybe strap breaks... lots of other reason

is a mask heavy to carry? .. i don't think so.. is it a hassle? .. not really...  but if i dive without mask, will it affects my dive? yes...

so, why not carry one :)

Hmm..looks like you knew your answer before you started this topic.

So why did you ask in the first place? Maybe you should just start a poll and see how may actually carry extra stuff and redundant systems on a recreational dive.

yes.. i read everywhere... i gather all the info.. and i know what is my answer (roughly)... but i want to look for opinions... more opinions.. and since im from m'sia, i thought i should post it here... becoz same culture.. similar taste

and is this forum not about asking for more info? well, i'll stop posting rubbish.
and if all these while, i have been posting rubbish.. i would like to apologize.

and no... i don't know how to store a mask if i have to bring it down. i have never brought it down before. so, zaha answered my next question.

Hi SKK..

Here my suggestion especially to you, just take a proper course if you wanna know more detail about this stuff. Or come to Toronto come dive with me, so we can figure out what wrong and what not !!! No point for me to explain more detail about storage backup now if you don't have same attitude or same diving method the way I do.

Also please stop searching about diving stuff from internet, some info completely wrong, Find proper instructor to bring you on right path.

Safe diving
Zaha.
Last edited by Nizaha on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#35  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:51 am

hi nizaha, sorry if i've caused some confusion here. what i meant on my last sentence is that, you have answered my question .. you have already answered my guestion here... thanks to you

http://malaysianunderwater.com/smff/index.php/topic,1903.msg44793.html#msg44793

i don't think there is a course for storing/hiding mask...

well, for me... i seldom dive with fellow members.. i don't know a lot of common things in diving.. so, all i can do is, read.. and ask.. this is what i can do to satisfy my curiosity.

this will not happen if i always hang around with divers... because i can see them.. i can ask them.

but since i'm here now... alone... what more can i do?

i can't go around just asking for common courses, right? the shop will shut their door when they see me coming.

sorry, if u've misunderstood me..... sorry.. sorry

*peace*
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#36  Postby Nizaha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:17 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:hi nizaha, sorry if i've caused some confusion here. what i meant on my last sentence is that, you have answered my question .. you have already answered my guestion here... thanks to you

http://malaysianunderwater.com/smff/index.php/topic,1903.msg44793.html#msg44793

i don't think there is a course for storing/hiding mask...

well, for me... i seldom dive with fellow members.. i don't know a lot of common things in diving.. so, all i can do is, read.. and ask.. this is what i can do to satisfy my curiosity.

this will not happen if i always hang around with divers... because i can see them.. i can ask them.

but since i'm here now... alone... what more can i do?

i can't go around just asking for common courses, right? the shop will shut their door when they see me coming.

sorry, if u've misunderstood me..... sorry.. sorry

*peace*

Hi SKK..

I'm pretty sure, around your area got scuba club or diveshop at least. Why not joint this local dive clubs and get use to local diving. Drop by at the store once awhile asking for the trip or join they social club.

I'm also alone when I move to Canada,I have no idea about diving around here until I saw diveshop around Toronto before. Be alone at wierd place doesn't stop my diving passions at all.

You right no courses teach us how to store back up mask, but if you take any basic tech course, the instructor will explain and show you how to store backup mask in proper way. Also in DIR fundamental course, Highly recomended courses.

Safe diving

Zaha
Last edited by Nizaha on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#37  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:38 am

thanks.

I've thought about that, but the only problem is that i don't have a car here. It's really not convenient at all. Those dive shops/clubs are also not located centrally. Furthermore, it's also not accessible by the common way of transport, the subway. There are few dive shops here, which i'm dying to go, but i have to take 2 to 3 buses in order to be there.

and about those dive sites, worst still, even buses are not reachable.

eg, 2nd saturday, i would wish to join one of the shop for a shore dive in one of the beach. Now, i have to plan.. where and when to rent a car and how to drive there... just for that single dive. it's hassle.

furthermore, they don't bring the tank for me. so, i'll have to go to their shop and get the tank on friday, and meet them at the beach on saturday morning.

so, now, i'm looking at getting a car on friday afternoon (after my work), rush to the shop and get the tank. and btw.. I don't know where is that shop located.. as i've never drove in boston.
and the next morning, i'll have to find my way to that beach... also, i know nuts about the road.

and this is all just for a single dive.

This is my situation here. ... am thinking of stoping diving now.
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#38  Postby Nizaha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:10 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:thanks.

I've thought about that, but the only problem is that i don't have a car here. It's really not convenient at all. Those dive shops/clubs are also not located centrally. Furthermore, it's also not accessible by the common way of transport, the subway. There are few dive shops here, which i'm dying to go, but i have to take 2 to 3 buses in order to be there.

eg, 2nd saturday, i would wish to join one of the shop for a shore dive in one of the beach. Now, i have to plan.. where and when to rent a car and how to drive there... just for that single dive. it's hassle.

furthermore, they don't bring the tank for me. so, i'll have to go to their shop and get the tank on friday, and meet them at the beach on saturday morning.

so, now, i'm looking at getting a car on friday afternoon (after my work), rush to the shop and get the tank. and btw.. I don't know where is that shop located.. as i've never drove in boston.
and the next morning, i'll have to find my way to that beach... also, i know nuts about the road.

Hi SKK..

Don't be silly, ask for the car pool or somethin ..ehmm !!!! share gas ex.

To be true with you,Before i have a wheel,  I use to carry my wet divebag on subway and riding my bicycles before, I'm proud to be a diver !!!
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#39  Postby Ery » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:14 am

Nizaha wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:thanks.

Hi SKK..

Don't be silly, ask for the car pool or somethin ..ehmm !!!! share gas ex.

To be true with you,Before i have a wheel,  I use to carry my wet divebag on subway and riding my bicycles before, I'm proud to be a diver !!!

kewl bro. there's nuthing to be ashamed of..  :glasses9:
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#40  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:27 am

thanks zaha.. for those motivation... thanks..

yeah.. i've thought of that.. probably i try to "get close" to them ...hehee

i'm not ashamed of anything with divebag a subway. and if i can go to a divesite by subway... i would have done it earlier... just that it's all not centrally located

so, the other choice i have is.. travel.. like fly to somewhere.. stay around that dive centre... everything is accessible... but this one.. cannot do it too often lah... kekekeee else, eat maggi mee everynight :P ... and also.. don't have that much offdays :P got to work to survive :)
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#41  Postby Nizaha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:00 am

Good.. All I can say to you is Keep diving...

If you have a times off between end of Oct to earlier Nov, I'll be in Orlando for 2 weeks during  DEMA and my cave diving course before heading to Pensacola for a week diving in Might "O".

If you interested let me know

Safe diving
Zaha
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#42  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:04 am

sure do... if i'm back on time.. and get off days... will join u :)
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#43  Postby babyFin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:12 pm

Nizaha wrote:In case, you start think to bring spare mask while diving, Please storage your backup mask in your Bc pocket or thigh pocket. Don't just clip around your Bcd d-ring and let hanging..hehe

Safe Diving

Zaha

yeszza!! i have an experience of that.. i hung on the D-ring..and suddenly during the dive, it slips on my arm.. i was looking down but can feel something drop and touches my arm..i look, this is my new mask!!! lucky, its slip on my arm before loosing it..
:angel8: :angel8: :angel8:
[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#44  Postby Invisibleshark » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:21 am

babyFiN wrote:
Nizaha wrote:In case, you start think to bring spare mask while diving, Please storage your backup mask in your Bc pocket or thigh pocket. Don't just clip around your Bcd d-ring and let hanging..hehe

Safe Diving

Zaha

yeszza!! i have an experience of that.. i hung on the D-ring..and suddenly during the dive, it slips on my arm.. i was looking down but can feel something drop and touches my arm..i look, this is my new mask!!! lucky, its slip on my arm before loosing it..

it happen last week dammn .... best is get a chain to hook on it even tornado come also u wont lost ur mask  :D
Dive now - Work later
Invisibleshark
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#45  Postby babyFin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:22 pm

Invisibleshark wrote:it happen last week dammn .... best is get a chain to hook on it even tornado come also u wont lost ur mask  :D

guess wat, for my case..it was not slip from the D-ring, but the pin had came out from the frameless silicone.. so, its not usable no longer..so conclusion, the new mask lifetime is only one dive! one dive with stress clearing the fog..and do not hang your mask especially frameless on u while diving.  :crybaby2:
[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#46  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:16 am

babyFiN wrote:
Invisibleshark wrote:it happen last week dammn .... best is get a chain to hook on it even tornado come also u wont lost ur mask  :D

guess wat, for my case..it was not slip from the D-ring, but the pin had came out from the frameless silicone.. so, its not usable no longer..so conclusion, the new mask lifetime is only one dive! one dive with stress clearing the fog..and do not hang your mask especially frameless on u while diving.  :crybaby2:

next time u wanna do that, take carrefour or jusco plastic bag, bungkus (ta pao) it the tie on d-ring... at least not so bad.. pin won't come out... if really comes out also, it's still inside the jusco plastic bag :D ....
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Previous

Return to Basic Gear