MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Prescription or plain Mask for Photography

Prescription or plain Mask for Photography

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

Prescription or plain Mask for Photography

Post Number:#1  Postby Rol_an_dive » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:55 am

I have been wearing prescription lens in my mask for the last 2 years, been trying the picture thingy for 3 months, really poor results, then tried plain lens mask and found that being able to see the camera display made a BIG differrence.
Question; does anyons have any experience of using one lens prescription - to allow distant vision UW- with the other plain to allow short vision i.e camera?
I guess this only effects us age challenged people as our eyes will not accomadate change, or maybe varifocal lens? (souns expensive!)
Rol_an_dive

Topic author

Re: Prescription or plain Mask for Photography

Post Number:#2  Postby nazir4321 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:56 pm

i use perscription lens and taking photo. i dont have any problem. ;)
nazir4321

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby Big_AJ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:59 pm

i use perscription lens and taking photo. i dont have any problem. ;)

i second that  8-)
Big_AJ

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby deepblu » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm

heheh.

rol_an_dive, it depends if you are short sighted or longsighted to begin with.

i personally use contact lenses purely for the fact that i have been born with super high astigmatism.

in addition to that, i have been wearing glasses since the age of eight (from reading too many dandy & beano comics under the blankets after my bedtime) made it doubly hard for me to get the right prescription lenses.

so if i am to just use a plain mask without my contacts, my pictures (which already need a lot of work to improve) will have horrendously dis-aster-ous results!

have you considered lasik?
Last edited by deepblu on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deepblu

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby Rol_an_dive » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:24 pm

OK, I am shortsighted, due to age I cannot change the Focal length of my pupils, hence I have had contacts for long distance viewing but then I cant read; in general life I use varifocals. I looked at Lasik but that would only give me good vision at EITHER long OR short distances. It was suggested that I could try one contact set up for long distance, the other for short distances, the theory is that your brain will quickly get used to the confused signals and pick the clearer of the 2 images it is getting.........That led me to alternate lens in my mask, think its going to be a try it and see--or not see---- :)
Rol_an_dive

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby Bones » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:53 pm

I am confused bro.... u use different type of lens for each eye???

As for me I use contact lenses coz i find it easier. My brain no need to compensate too much. But my photo.. hehehee.......

In the end it's personal preferrence and experience.
Fish out of water is like a diver with no air
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby Scorpenesub » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:22 pm

I have one short-sighted eye and one long-sighted eye. Fortunately, the long sighted eye isnt far off from normal, and the short-sighted eye is compensated by the fact that there is 30% magnification underwater. So I dive with normal mask even though I use spectacles when I drive... :D :D :D
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Return to Basic Gear