MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Fins....Fins....Fins.....help me plz...

Fins....Fins....Fins.....help me plz...

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

Re: Fins....Fins....Fins.....help me plz...

Post Number:#31  Postby Snafuette » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:46 pm

Why FF..??? because others use it..?? hehehe. ask yourself...  ;)

I totally agree with you on this bobo.... i think fins depends on individual as well... you have to test it and see if you are comfortable with it... some may like it but some may feel that FF is way to uncomfortable for them..... it also don't mean that expensive = good.......

I got myself a FF because i always get cramps in the water - after some advise from sheik - who is also a big of cramps in the water.. i tried it out ............ I have to say that i had alot of cramp on the first few dives using the FF but after being given the right technique of finning - i realised how comfortable the FF are for me.....

remember "different strokes for different folks" so best you try what suit you best before you purchase your fins.....

nice, so next trip can borrow your fin  ;)  ;D

NOt you... cos you stole my booties on the last dive trip to tioman.... i haven't forgotten about it yet.....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Last edited by Snafuette on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dive Full-time, Work Part-time
Snafuette
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#32  Postby Adzri » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:48 pm

I'm good with my split fin, Tusa SF-8.  8-) 8-) 8-)

http://www.tusa.com/index2.html

Disclaimer: I do not sell any diving gear.

split fins..... 8-).....how much bro? izzit the same as scubapro?

Split fin Apollo around RM 400.00 and Tusa I dont know.
Adzri
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#33  Postby Nazir Amin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:49 pm

NOt you... cos you stole my booties on the last dive trip to tioman.... i haven't forgotten about it yet.....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

then can make another accident again lah  ;D ;D
Last edited by Snafuette on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seekor anak kera bertanya ke ibunya, “Bu, knapa ya wajah kita begitu jelek?”
Jawab ibunya, “Bersyukurlah nak, sebab wajah kita gak sejelek orang yang baca tulisan ini…”
Nazir Amin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#34  Postby jgshuwei » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:13 am

I'm good with my split fin, Tusa SF-8.  8-) 8-) 8-)

http://www.tusa.com/index2.html

Disclaimer: I do not sell any diving gear.

split fins..... 8-).....how much bro? izzit the same as scubapro?

Split fin Apollo around RM 400.00 and Tusa I dont know.

Around the same range I think...
jgshuwei
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#35  Postby HoleMaster » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:22 am

This is my personal experience when it comes to fins. My first fin was a heel strap Scubapro Razor. Used to get cramps every time i dive. After that i would always do some stretching before each dive. However i do get cramps once in a while. From that ive noticed that its not the fins that makes u cramp but finning techniques. Each fins has different characteristics, as such u need to adapt ur finning. Noticed that flutter kick works well for normal fins but jet fins and FF works well with frog kick. However, for some ppl who r so comfortable with their trusted fins any kind of finning techniques will do. Like i said before, try out all the fins that's available and choose which suits u most.

Cheers!  
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#36  Postby Bobo® » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:21 am

alicuore to spend 1K on fin you have to be really rich or have darn interest on the fins. Try to go for the pool session and try out several fins. Infact u can try mephisto big single fin and long blade fins hehehe..

i'm using the normal fin that cost only below RM250.

Anyway its ur choice... test and if you like it.. go ahead... some reviews are bias. But if you have the money why not have a collection of all fins.. hehehe..

;)
Dive Tenggara Adventure [1696725-D] twitter - @divetenggara
Need Seac-Sub, Pelican, Fantasea Line, DAN Insurance, call me www.divetenggara.com :: 019-2121109 :: info@divetenggara.com
Bobo®
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#37  Postby ali86 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:46 am

nolah bro....1K tuh sekali dgn bootie laa....sbb kalau boleh, nak beli fin nih, kira sekali beli jer lah....xde masalah, sbb ari tuh dah beli seac sub kalibra, x best langsung....masalahnya sy kat kelantan, kalau kat kl...boleh join pool session....
Ali - 0148155588
[img width=155 height=120]http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2064/15228jv6.png[/img]
ali86
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#38  Postby MACHA » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:14 am

nolah bro....1K tuh sekali dgn bootie laa....sbb kalau boleh, nak beli fin nih, kira sekali beli jer lah....xde masalah, sbb ari tuh dah beli seac sub kalibra, x best langsung....masalahnya sy kat kelantan, kalau kat kl...boleh join pool session....

Bro no need to rush on getting a fin with that amount of money....that's a hefty figure :)...just have to try out as many fins as possible, everybody here is encouraging you to search for it
That's why there's a saying GO OUT & DIVE...anywhere with anyone ok
you can always go to Perhentian & ask divers with their characteristic fins oso...or come over visit me in Redang...i got cressi rondineA , pro star, apollo bio fin/split, mares avanti tre & Tusa split...size 8/9 ML

But if you can join MUW pool session & get to know the members...champion la dey
Maybe MUW should organize an event on MUW / SCUBA LAB fins review....how bout that , any takers ? ;)

ps.just a thought besides buoyancy practice :) :) :)
"A man needs a little madness or he never breaks the rope and goes free"......Zorba
MACHA
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#39  Postby mocha » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:59 am

bro,
since u already have a fin, make do wif it first while u get opportunity to try others or when u can get a real good deal..... example, during mares sales u can get mares fins for 50% off.... try as many fins as possible and see which u u like most....
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#40  Postby duyong95 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:12 am

Why FF..??? because others use it..?? hehehe. ask yourself...  ;)

agree!...agreee! :)...there's other brands, model & types

1st whats your budget? 2nd what type...full foot or strap heel fins?...blade type? ;)

full foot fins:
                Pro's
                1) Light but doesnt mean no power, manufacturer these days design
                    it for travel friendly...Air Asia 15 kg only...ceh!
                2) cheap, they're save a lot yet perform
                3) no need booties, you dont need extra items in your dive bag
                4) type & locations of most dives doing...if most diving is done by boat
                    with 26'celcius-30'celcius water temp..get this 1

Con's
                1) But if you doa lot of dives 100/ month most will bend a bit
                2) When its cold....i dontch like it!
                3) Blisters for newbies

Recomended models to check out :

1) Cressi Sub "Pro Star"
                2) Mares "Avanti Tre"
                3) Mares "Avanti Quatrro"
                4) Mew fins

ps. any Mares fins that are from Estonia has better Hi quality rubber / plastic components. ;)

Strap heel fins:
                Pro's
                1) It fits you more comfortably with the bootie
                2) If you do a lot of shore...rocky  beach dive...this is it!
                3) thermal protection on your feet...Komodo, Bali, Great Barrier reef
                    achooo cold la macha..cannot stand la! :D

Con's
                1) Broken strap or buckle when gearing up on boat...too bad!
                    Imagine you're at in middle of nowhere with no dive shop to sell you
                    spare parts...bring a spare!
                2) Heavy la dey...some  of them solid rubber split fins add more weights in
                    dive bag
                3) expensive oso...if you dont like it yougotta dump somewhere, maybe
                    in MUW classified / ads ;D

Recomended models to check out :

1) Cressi Sub "Rondine A"
                2) Cressi Sub "Master Frog"
                3) Mares "Plana Avanti Quattro"
                4) Scuba Pro Jet fins

there you go....on a personal note Im more comfort with normal conventional blades...
i still got good propulsion when swimming against current...move comfort with flutter, frog & butterflykick ;)
those with back problems should seek advice from chiropractor, was told split fins help for those with back problems...but they're simply heavy for me..

My advice try out as more as possible fins you can...join the MUWians pool session try test other divers fin if permitted...so guys dont just promote FF only la dey...variety sikit. ;) ;) ;)

dey macha, good info la...i lap u :-*
YM id - nurseshark_f_31
duyong95
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#41  Postby bijan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:40 pm

it is best if u could try out the different fins available..i would say that different ppl have different taste in fins..it would depend on ur preferred kicking style, ur budget, some ppl the colours available..get a fin that suits u
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#42  Postby ScubaholicsAnonymous » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:09 pm

Gull Mew Safety Fins (the orange color with the cross at the back) is AWESOME! Gull Super Mew is coming in Sept!

I'm using the white MEW fins coz the orange color no size ler......but still awesome fins! Full rubber, old school look!  :D
www.scubaholicsanonymous.com
exclusive dealer for: Oxycheq / Liquivision / Aqua Lung / Apeks / Suunto / Miflex Hoses / Inon / Ikelite / I-Das / OmniSwivel / Bladefish / IQ / Light & Motion
ScubaholicsAnonymous
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 2

Post Number:#43  Postby ali86 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:40 pm

Bro no need to rush on getting a fin with that amount of money....that's a hefty figure :)...just have to try out as many fins as possible, everybody here is encouraging you to search for it
That's why there's a saying GO OUT & DIVE...anywhere with anyone ok
you can always go to Perhentian & ask divers with their characteristic fins oso...or come over visit me in Redang...i got cressi rondineA , pro star, apollo bio fin/split, mares avanti tre & Tusa split...size 8/9 ML

But if you can join MUW pool session & get to know the members...champion la dey
Maybe MUW should organize an event on MUW / SCUBA LAB fins review....how bout that , any takers ? ;)

ps.just a thought besides buoyancy practice :) :) :)

thanks a lot bro for the offer.....well, c u in redang ok?

susah sikit maa mau join pool session, sbb still study.....
Ali - 0148155588
[img width=155 height=120]http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2064/15228jv6.png[/img]
ali86
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#44  Postby ali86 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:41 pm

bro,
since u already have a fin, make do wif it first while u get opportunity to try others or when u can get a real good deal..... example, during mares sales u can get mares fins for 50% off.... try as many fins as possible and see which u u like most....

cramp la bro pakai itu fin..... :'(
that's why nak cari yang lain....
Ali - 0148155588
ali86
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#45  Postby ali86 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:43 pm

it is best if u could try out the different fins available..i would say that different ppl have different taste in fins..it would depend on ur preferred kicking style, ur budget, some ppl the colours available..get a fin that suits u

yeah, that's rite.....bro, do u know any website that i can learn the rite finning technique?
Ali - 0148155588
ali86
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#46  Postby Bobo® » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:50 pm

yeah, that's rite.....bro, do u know any website that i can learn the rite finning technique?

got.. try www.goanddomorediveorpoolsessiontogainm ... riance.com  ;)
Need Seac-Sub, Pelican, Fantasea Line, DAN Insurance, call me www.divetenggara.com :: 019-2121109 :: info@divetenggara.com
Bobo®
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#47  Postby ali86 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:32 pm

ni ada website yang siap kasi video lagi....tapi kejap sangat...

http://www.hooferscuba.org/modules/mylinks/viewcat.php?cid=10
Ali - 0148155588
ali86
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#48  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:11 pm

My advice try out as more as possible fins you can...join the MUWians pool session try test other divers fin if permitted...so guys dont just promote FF only la dey...variety sikit. ;) ;) ;)

Cha how to test other, all using FF la... hehehe

but wonder why people go for longer blade like those freediver like mephisto.. why they dun use FF aa..??? hehehe

Ya la why la Free Diver using longer blade?????

Aiseh...freedivers use longer blade because more water displacement for a given amount of effort maa....
Just like a propeler laaa...the more surface area at the blades have the more they move the water laa...

actually.....freedivers have certain requirements in selecting fins....the most prominent is...efficiency.

thats why they dont use open heal fins cause energy is loss from the  transmission from the foot to the fins via the booties....neoprane and rubber absorb a bit of that energy transfer...so if you look at freedivers all use full foot for long fins and monofins.

now days for example even the foot pocket is hi tech..OMERs foot pocket is design with 2 types of rubber....hard rubber at the toes and soft rubber at the heal as to facilitate efficient energy transmission and comfort.

but long fins does not mean fast fins....that is the misconception that people have...free divers use long fins to save energy....for example 30% effort to move 5 meter compare to normal fins that may need 70 % effort to move 5 meters......but just imagine laa if you go 100% efort on a long fin.

what i gonna say i hope wont hurt the feelings of people out there but.... cramp-ing too often when finning is just a sign that you legs are weak. so the solution is not getting other fins that wont give you cramps but you must develope your legs mucles.also as THE MIGHTY HOLEMASTER....HAIL... says, you need to warm up fist before a dive and also make sure that your electrolytic level is optimum in your body i.e take extra salt. this will also help to avoid cramps...not changing your fins.

please observe the next time you go diving...a person who is fit and have strong legs can challange  a current with just only a stupid low tech snorkeling fins....where else a person with top of the line fins that is not fit and got no strong legs may face difficulties in the same situation.

so people...what i am trying to say here is the X factor is not your fins..its YOU! but just imagine what can be done if you are fit and have strong legs and also high tech fins...man...you will fly......
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#49  Postby ikan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 pm

Memphisto : Bravoooo!!! .. Well put ... There u go!  
if u are going to be dumb, u better be tough ....
ikan
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#50  Postby jgshuwei » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:26 am

Attaboy!
jgshuwei
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#51  Postby Bobo® » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:57 am

hehehe.. well said... remember a friend said one leg DM from p. aur can fin more faster from the able body diver... against current summore...

anyway.. remember like mephisto said.... is not your fins..its YOU!
hmm nice words for a tee hehehehe.. tunggguuu
Bobo®
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#52  Postby Sicko » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:35 am

Anyone using the Mares Quattro Excel?

How's the fins?
Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#53  Postby mocha » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am

How's the fins?

i haf a pair of mares quattro excel....its a good fin...especially when fighting current, alot of power.... but the only setback is, the size la.... damn big la wei.... ;)
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#54  Postby Sicko » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:15 am

How's the fins?

i haf a pair of mares quattro excel....its a good fin...especially when fighting current, alot of power.... but the only setback is, the size la.... damn big la wei.... ;)

Hello mocha, can you pls elaborate on the meaning of size?
Did you get the wrong size or the blades are too big?

Thanks
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#55  Postby mocha » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:38 am

How's the fins?

Thanks

no no..not the size.. i got the correct size... it is the the blade bro.... not too sure the exact length but it fill up my whole dive beg...  8-)
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#56  Postby Sicko » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:29 am

How's the fins?

Thanks

no no..not the size.. i got the correct size... it is the the blade bro.... not too sure the exact length but it fill up my whole dive beg...  8-)

;D ;D Thanks for the info........  :)
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#57  Postby Adzri » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:34 am

How's the fins?

Bro mocha ... your is fullfoot or openheel??? What colour???  
Adzri
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#58  Postby mocha » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:46 am

How's the fins?

Bro mocha ... your is fullfoot or openheel??? What colour???  

mine is a silver colored openheel type.... i dun think mares quattro excel comes wif full foot....
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#59  Postby zimm » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:38 pm

maybe this can help you to decide ;D :D :P

Last edited by zimm on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.
For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it. For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it.
zimm
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#60  Postby Nazir Amin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:58 pm

wallauweh.. zimm  ;)
Seekor anak kera bertanya ke ibunya, “Bu, knapa ya wajah kita begitu jelek?”
Jawab ibunya, “Bersyukurlah nak, sebab wajah kita gak sejelek orang yang baca tulisan ini…”
Nazir Amin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Gear