MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Mask De-Fogga

Mask De-Fogga

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

Mask De-Fogga

Post Number:#1  Postby Cher » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:10 pm

Was at Perhentian last weekend and saw this leaf on the table...

Was told that this one, if tonyoh-tonyoh (rub) on to mask, it'll prevent the mask from fogging... Interesting find eh?? Imagine not having to rub-rub colgate nemore!

p/s: Hey! How come I post picture come out so small and got that 640 x 480 thingy?
Cher
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Re: Mask De-Fogga

Post Number:#2  Postby sheik » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:17 pm

good for those conservationists out there. truly organic.

bluefins, have u tried it?
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#3  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:20 pm

I prefer the KHHHHHHRROOOOOIIITTT PTUUUIIIIIII method of de-fogging. Tried, tested and works everytime.

But some say you can use the below thingy using the same method you described. They say you tonyoh-tonyoh this one, you won't be bothered by fogging mask for the rest of the dive.

-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#4  Postby Cher » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:24 pm

No, havent had the opportunity to try. I'll be going there again next month, so will try then..   ;)

Sheik, nok wak guano ngae gamba nih???? (how to deal with the pictures)
Cher
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby sheik » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:27 pm

No, havent had the opportunity to try. I'll be going there again next month, so will try then..   ;)

Sheik, nok wak guano ngae gamba nih???? (how to deal with the pictures)

please go back to the FAQ which i just highlighted. use this remedy first, dear.

http://malaysianunderwater.com/Forums/Y ... 1163410748
Last edited by anas on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#6  Postby scottycam » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:01 pm

I prefer the KHHHHHHRROOOOOIIITTT PTUUUIIIIIII method of de-fogging. Tried, tested and works everytime.

But some say you can use the below thingy using the same method you described. They say you tonyoh-tonyoh this one, you won't be bothered by fogging mask for the rest of the dive.

heard the dried version is better? or some say the bottled ones works as well(linggam,maggi)
“True communication is possible only between equals, because inferiors are more consistently rewarded for telling their superiors pleasant lies than for telling the truth.:”
scottycam
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby wing0112 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:32 pm

well... wutever it is.. i dont think we should pluck it for own use la.. even though a plant.... what if some1 told u tat if u pluck a staghorn coral and pounce it till powder and then rub ur mask, it will help to defog ur mask or liquid from sea cucumber can defog the mask for the whole life span of the mask.. will u do it?

i think chilli is beter at least it helps kill the germs on our tummy la.... and who knows it may kill our eyes germ....  ;D ;D
wing0112
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby IkanBilis » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:28 pm

Was told that this one, if tonyoh-tonyoh (rub) on to mask, it'll prevent the mask from fogging... Interesting find eh?? Imagine not having to rub-rub colgate nemore!

p/s: Hey! How come I post picture come out so small and got that 640 x 480 thingy?

The plant in the picture looks very much like pong-pong or buta-buta ( Cerbera odollam )plant which grows in abundance by the sea and mangrove areas. The sap of this plant is POISONOUS and is known to be used by fisherman to poison fish. ref: http://www.prn2.usm.my/mainsite/plant/cerbera.html

Quote " Biji tumbuhan ini boleh menyebabkan rasa loya, muntah, mengantuk, denyutan nadi menjadi lemah, tekanan darah menjadi rendah, keletihan, sakit perut, degupan jantung yang tidak normal dan anak mata mengembang. Pada kes yang teruk, sawan dan koma akan terjadi.

Daun tumbuhan ini juga dapat memberi kesan pada system saraf Pusat."

-The seed of this plant can cause nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, weaken heartbeat, low blood pressure, letahrgy, stomach pains, irregular heartbeat and dilated pupils. In extreme cases, can induce coma and epilepsy.

The leaves will also affect the central nervous system
[font=Freestyle Script][size=12px]IkanBilis in the shallows, under the jetty and near the shore,small and insignificant,too small to play in the deep, yet nice and crispy in nasi lemak. [/size][/font]
IkanBilis
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Location: Nilai, Negeri Sembilan and Bandar Baru Salak Tinggi, Sepang

Post Number:#9  Postby Sicko » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:11 pm

Er............If I use that, the mask will be filled with so much tears that nobody will bother using the mask for the rest of the dive...........
hhhmmm..............No need for mask anymore...........
Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby bobo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:50 am

The plant in the picture looks very much like pong-pong or buta-buta ( Cerbera odollam )plant which grows in abundance by the sea and mangrove areas. The sap of this plant is POISONOUS and is known to be used by fisherman to poison fish. ref: http://www.prn2.usm.my/mainsite/plant/cerbera.html

Quote " Biji tumbuhan ini boleh menyebabkan rasa loya, muntah, mengantuk, denyutan nadi menjadi lemah, tekanan darah menjadi rendah, keletihan, sakit perut, degupan jantung yang tidak normal dan anak mata mengembang. Pada kes yang teruk, sawan dan koma akan terjadi.

-The seed of this plant can cause nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, weaken heartbeat, low blood pressure, letahrgy, stomach pains, irregular heartbeat and dilated pupils. In extreme cases, can induce coma and epilepsy.

ooopppsss..... hehehehe...sooo the verdict..??? KHHHHHHRROOOOOIIITTT PTUUUIIIIIII method with some yellowish substance better hahahaha.... i use baby shampoo like spazm said..TAK MEMEDIHKAN MATAAA....
bobo

Post Number:#11  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:29 am

Actually, yes..I think it is pong-pong laut. Some people use the leaf to clean glass windows. Some even use to kill rats. ;D

Imagine the plant's fumes inside your mask and nostril. ::) :-/
SeaDemon

Post Number:#12  Postby pink-fins » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:48 am

uwarccccckkkkk!!!!!! seriously?????  :o

I shall stick on to colgate then  :)
pink-fins

Post Number:#13  Postby maltymouse » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:52 pm

yup I prefer colgate too....
maltymouse

Post Number:#14  Postby pink-fins » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:28 am

yup I prefer colgate too....

You know what's funny, I used Darlie and my mask fogged but when I used Colgate - wallah! Clear all the way! So, Colgate - pilihan dwoktor-dworktor pergigian Malaysia (colgate, the choice of Malaysian dentists)  ;D
pink-fins

Post Number:#15  Postby wing0112 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:25 pm

er... if vaselin or KY? how eh....
wing0112
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby Invisibleshark » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:07 pm

er... if vaselin or KY? how eh....

confirm you are  "fog"  !!! ;D
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dive now - Work later
Invisibleshark
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby brendrock » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:52 pm

This works to de fog also... Johnson & Johnson Shampoo No More Tears ;D 1 drops on each lens... rub and go...  8-) 8-)
Last edited by brendrock on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brendrock
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby wing0112 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:41 pm

;D ;D.. which part fog?
wing0112
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby MACHA » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:24 pm

IkanBilis wrote:

That the Daun Pokok Pelampung ...you have it a lot in the Island...not in brickfields arrr!! i plant 1 infront of my dive center...locals use the tiny fruits for eye medication..it works though...but for excelent mask de fogga...i totally agree with SD....yummm....& Colgate!...whackla :icon_rr:
"A man needs a little madness or he never breaks the rope and goes free"......Zorba
MACHA
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#20  Postby SuperKingKong® » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:16 am

Hey guys...

abt the baby shampoo... how to i use it?

do i apply it on the mask... then wash it with fresh water? then only wear it? or do i apply straight from the concertrated bottle.. rub rub and wear it straight?
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#21  Postby Bones » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:23 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:Hey guys...

do i apply it on the mask... then wash it with fresh water? then only wear it? or do i apply straight from the concertrated bottle.. rub rub and wear it straight?

My last 2 dive trips I forgot to bring my anti fog so I belasah whatever available
1. shampoo - put and i usually rinse just before the dive with seawater/ flood the mask and do clearance at the start of the dive
2. colgate - also same procedure (Macha's colgate oso kena whack...heheheheh)

that my prefence lorr but others usually rinse with freshwater
Fish out of water is like a diver with no air
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby Spazm » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:41 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:Hey guys...

apply baby shampoo on mask before dive..rinse it just before u decsend...then you will have a fresh smelling maks throughout the dive..:)..u can leave some in the nose pocket if you like to inhale..:)
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#23  Postby SuperKingKong® » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:47 am

rince it? if didn't wash properly... then got buih-buih loh? (bubble-bubble)
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#24  Postby Spazm » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:05 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:rince it? if didn't wash properly... then got buih-buih loh? (bubble-bubble)

well..u can always do mask removal n clean it while diving..can't u??..:)
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#25  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:52 am

Spazm wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:rince it? if didn't wash properly... then got buih-buih loh? (bubble-bubble)

well... yeah... i do it almost every 5 mins on most of the dive...  :angry4:

it fogs up like crazy :P ... so, ppl will think that i'm crazy... why i remove my mask so frequently... :P

well.. about the question above.. i'm just curious as to why we don't need to wash it properly.. until all bubbles gone?
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#26  Postby IkanBilis » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:21 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:
Spazm wrote:

it fogs up like crazy :P ... so, ppl will think that i'm crazy... why i remove my mask so frequently... :P

well.. about the question above.. i'm just curious as to why we don't need to wash it properly.. until all bubbles gone?

Well, SKK that would leave a layer of moisture that sticks on the mask, eliminating dry layer for the water droplets to stick and form  fog.

[glow=yellow,2,300]People, you can do this experiment for the best mask de-fogging. Apply whatever defogging fluid/colgate/baby shampoo/ poisonous plant juice on various spots of your bathroom mirror, before you take a hot shower. Whichever application spot that does not fog-up is the best application for your mask de-fogging solution.[/glow]

Actually, there is no need to remove the mask underwater to defog it, just let in a bit of water in the mask, shake it around the glass, and presto! no more fog!! You can either leave the bit of water in the nose pocket for later use, or you can do mask-clearing, whichever you preference.

When I started diving/snorkeling, I thought the pesky fog in the mask that I experienced was an inherent part of diving/snorkeling. Then I discovered that the little breath out of the nose is the biggest cause of mask fogging, other than your body heat in the mask on contact with the cold seawater.
[font=Freestyle Script][size=12px]IkanBilis in the shallows, under the jetty and near the shore,small and insignificant,too small to play in the deep, yet nice and crispy in nasi lemak. [/size][/font]
IkanBilis
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Location: Nilai, Negeri Sembilan and Bandar Baru Salak Tinggi, Sepang

Post Number:#27  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:10 am

IkanBilis wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
Spazm wrote:

Well, SKK that would leave a layer of moisture that sticks on the mask, eliminating dry layer for the water droplets to stick and form  fog.

[glow=yellow,2,300]People, you can do this experiment for the best mask de-fogging. Apply whatever defogging fluid/colgate/baby shampoo/ poisonous plant juice on various spots of your bathroom mirror, before you take a hot shower. Whichever application spot that does not fog-up is the best application for your mask de-fogging solution.[/glow]

Actually, there is no need to remove the mask underwater to defog it, just let in a bit of water in the mask, shake it around the glass, and presto! no more fog!! You can either leave the bit of water in the nose pocket for later use, or you can do mask-clearing, whichever you preference.

When I started diving/snorkeling, I thought the pesky fog in the mask that I experienced was an inherent part of diving/snorkeling. Then I discovered that the little breath out of the nose is the biggest cause of mask fogging, other than your body heat in the mask on contact with the cold seawater.

thanks for the explanation. and thanks for bring patience with me.
i'm sort of a "kampung" kid just came into the city.... so, i ask a lot of questions... especially stupid questions :P

oh btw... tell u something.. i met up with my relatives few years back in singapore. well, the last time we met was when i was a kid.
so, they said.. "i still remember that u like to ask a lot of questions.. why this... why that..." .. then i thought to myself... hehe.. now also the same what.. :D
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#28  Postby dan wahab » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:00 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:
Spazm wrote:

a dive buddy thought me a scary technique just recently.. burn your mask! really.. my mask was brand new and he grabed it started burning the inner glass. it apparently clears off the layer of chemical that fogs the mask. worked like a charm actually. didnt need to clear my mask underwater after that.

just word of caution, dont la burn the rubber around the glass.. hehe.. me not responsible for damaged (expensive) masks..  :icon_tongue:
dan wahab
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby SuperKingKong® » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:07 am

dan wahab wrote:
a dive buddy thought me a scary technique just recently.. burn your mask! really.. my mask was brand new and he grabed it started burning the inner glass. it apparently clears off the layer of chemical that fogs the mask. worked like a charm actually. didnt need to clear my mask underwater after that.

just word of caution, dont la burn the rubber around the glass.. hehe.. me not responsible for damaged (expensive) masks..  :icon_tongue:

hehe... thanks for the great tip.. but takut lah... if burn until the edges, sure will kena the silicone one... [-(
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#30  Postby babyFin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:06 am

as for my mask, best solution ever..
Colgate Tripple Action!! *like colgate ambassador oledi*
others did not work as well as the Tripple Action..
i dunno la, maybe its a mind set or it just works.

:angel8: :angel8: :angel8:
[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Next

Return to Basic Gear