MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Fin for beginners

Fin for beginners

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

Fin for beginners

Post Number:#1  Postby geraldyne » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 am

I know there is a topic on fin already... but it kinda hard to read all the reviews with so much description that i hardly comprehand at the moments.

I just need a simple fin that is good for beginners like me who doesn't own a fin yet.

What would be your recommendations?

Thanks a bunch :)
YOLO
geraldyne
Diver
Diver

Topic author
Topics: 3

Re: Fin for beginners

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:46 am

simple -just buy the fin that you use for your certification. That is the fin for beginners.
The previous posting about fins were from divers who wants to know the difference between each fins available in the market. They also looking for cheap or with a quality and
worth to wear for years to come.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby geraldyne » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:52 pm

dun really liked the one I wore for my dive. Kinda look like school kids...

hence reason why i wanna get one for myself, furthermore I just want to be comfortable when I'm diving too
YOLO
geraldyne
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby grimjour » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm

HI,

I recomend Apollo Bio Fin. it suitable for scuba pro n beginer..wait for MIDE next year to get half price...
grimjour
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby geraldyne » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:04 pm

why ah?
YOLO
geraldyne
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby raffidi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi,
I personally like the Mares Volo Race. Light for traveling.comfortable and performs well. I prefer full footed to open heel.
Good luck in your hunt for your perfect fins.
raffidi
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 4

Post Number:#7  Postby jakesean » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:36 pm

im using Atomic Aquatics FullFoot split fins.. very light, and comfy.. performs and looks good also.. and its one of the cheapest @ RM195..
jakesean
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 6

Post Number:#8  Postby geraldyne » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:57 pm

jakesean, oh cheap ah! the one i asked is mares volo cost RM318.

okok, i will hunt around to check check.
YOLO
geraldyne
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby raffidi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi geraldyne,
I remember seeing this but don't know if it's still available or even if it fits you or not. Maybe there is more under WTS. Just check it out.
http://malaysianunderwater.com/index.php/topic,10627.0.html
raffidi
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby zaff1984 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Just bought my first fin at MIDE last month. I bought Mares Volo Race full foot just RM188 at Rainbow Runner booth. Tested in Perhentian a week later and I think its good, less effort in kicking and quite light for travelling.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby raffidi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:14 pm

Yay!!I've got a friend. I just love to Volo Race and been using for 2yrs+....but going to try the Quattro full footed end of this month...just for the fun of it.
raffidi
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby Daylight » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:52 am

i think its always good to test our various fins before making a purchase that will last you a couple of years or even longer.

few things you will need to consider
1. your budget
2. your feet strength *you dont want to get cramps
3. full/half foot *half foot allows you to wear booties and reduce possible blisters for long and tiring swims
4. Comfort

bare in mind, fins that suit others might not be the fin that suits you. the most expensive fin is not always the best fin.

i use a bio fin. its great for divers for all level but its rather costly and rather heavy.

good luck
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby bexny » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:15 am

Jetfins!!! Ok, so they might not be for everyone (they are heavy and some people complain about cramps) but I love them. I've had mine since I was a newbie diver with 25 dives and now over 1000 dives later, they're still almost good as new. Combined with good spring straps, they're virtually indestructible. They're made to last and I like the look. They'll also be useful for tec diving if you ever go down that path later on.
bexny
Diver
Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#14  Postby geraldyne » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:06 am

Wow, thanks for all the advise.

Seem like MIDE really sell good stuff at bargain price. Maybe I should wait around for the fin.

How about wet suit? Any recommendation?
YOLO
geraldyne
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby gavstang » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:34 am

Geraldyne,

MIDE does have some good deals but its not worth waiting for a full year for the next one to buy your fins!  Fins are relatively inexpensive in comparison to your BCD or regulator (if you are thinking of buying them yourself that is).  Fins are very much an individual preference and if possible it would be best if you could try different fins before buying your own but unfortunately this may not always be possible.  I would suggest doing some research online with regards to the types of fins available and their relative strengths and weaknesses.  Please bear in mind that all the suggestions given thus far are coloured by bias..yes bias as most ppl will recommend their own gear, after all after buying no one wants to really bad mouth their own decision right and ALL of us think we bought the best gear. 

The type of fin u will be looking to buy should also be influenced by a few factors:-

1.  Type of diving you do:-  Rec or Tec (in your case its rec)

2.  Where you dive:-  Tropical or cold water?  Id assume most of your diving would be in tropical waters and as such the options are endless as you dont have the drag and buoyancy of a thick wetsuit or drysuit to contend with hence you could even use a full foot fin which would be suitable for tropical waters

3.  Strength-  Why strength?  Certain fins are harder to use as they require slightly more leg strength and may easily cause cramps or leg fatigue (think jet fins/hollis F1)  However I do qualify that you will prob get used to it if you dive with them often enough.  Split fins are supposedly good for maximising propulsion with minimal expansion of energy and the atomic biofins have great reviews.  Another brand to consider is the tusa xpert zoom.

4.  Budget-  The sky is the limit when it comes to diving gear and pretty much depends how deep your pockets are.  If you are budget conscious, then focus only on fins within that range

5.  Size-  Will you travel much to dive?  If you do, the logistics of packing may require a smaller or shorter fin. 

Ultimately, you will purchase whichever fin takes your fancy and it may or may not be the best choice you make but dont despair, part of the fun of shopping is the experience of shopping itself and the future joy of buyying new stuff in the event the current purchase doesnt meet the grade!  Happy shopping!
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#16  Postby geraldyne » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:00 pm

WOW! thanks for the tips. It really helps.

i'm planning to go sipadan end of the year so i guess that is tropical water and i'm not very strong so im sure i need something easy to maneuver and light weight.

Now im looking for wet suit and fin for my next diving trip and im not sure either that i can wait that long. Anyway its good to know that MIDE have good bargain which now I can look forward too.

In the meantime, im really looking around and hope to complete it by Nov!! I have about 3 months.
YOLO
geraldyne
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby keenfreedom » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 pm

I am using Apollo bio fin pro, it is good for beginner and suitable for female.
No dive no life!
keenfreedom
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby Jamie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:31 am

I love the bio fin. Got it loaned the last time but a little heavy for traveling purposes. I've been using Oceanic Viper and bought another one after I killed the old one. About RM200 from scuba world (? the one at MV). I got mine shipped from US though due to my size. They rarely have stocks for XS here.
Jamie
Diver
Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#19  Postby JJTan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Seawing Nova by Scubapro.. Very little effort to fin and it's fast & light.
JJTan
Diver
Diver

Return to Basic Gear