MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - split fin VS paddle fin

split fin VS paddle fin

Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit, Fins & Booties

split fin VS paddle fin

Post Number:#1  Postby Daylight » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:04 pm

i was doing some reading on split fin and paddle fin and would like to ask your experience on this matter.

what are the pro and -con of both fins.

cheers
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: split fin VS paddle fin

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:23 pm

i own both.
paddle need a little more effort to kick compare to splits.
Splits conserve energy better than paddle and less cramps.
paddle for me have the power of thrust while splitz for me is the power for glide.
It is claim that splitz can conserve air better than paddle.
I see no pro and cons. Both are spectacular in their own way.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby mamakpenang » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:22 pm

bro,
personal preference actually
some technical diver swear by their scubapro jetfins, some by poseidon trident fins (come with colors now), some prefer hollis or OMS all the way....
cheap diver like me prefer cheap, reliable & proven fins like mares avanti quattro (black color of course with spring strap)
never have split fins, haha...not yet, can't comment....
they said if u have a leg like a swimmer, runner, hiker, footballer buy paddle fins, so u can feel your legs kicking it, if u have not so strong leg or u are a girls, do buy split fins....hehe.... :D  no offence.....
there are a few very good split fins out there like apollo bio fins, smoke on the water (atomic aquatics with spring strap) & not to forgot Tusa XpertZooms (one of the best split fins), u can try it out first & then decide...... B-)
Last edited by mamakpenang on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Daylight » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:07 pm

thanks for your feedback.

i read that at times split fins might find it difficult when swimming against currents. have you experienced it yet?
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby run » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:46 pm

difficult swimming against current. i find it the same both splitz and paddle.
In all of my dives, most often i swim against current will be around average 5min or so.
The rest of the dives will be relax or mild current. So i dont feel trouble at all.
i really cant imagine how exactly the situation when diver comment saying splitz is hard when swimming against current.
Normally when diver faced with a current, the diver will swim facing the current while at the same time trying to swim out of the way from where the current is or in another term trying to get across the current. Align and trim your body like fishes do.
here is a link about finning against current. Maybe it could be useful
http://wickeddiving.com/ethical-wicked/safe-diving-in-currents
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby nanda666 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:28 am

The main thing I noticed with split fins are that they are pretty useless when used for snorkelling or surface swims. I've had my OW students using rental fins so some get split and some get the paddle based on size. I've had them switch too and the feedback from them was the paddle works better.

"they said if u have a leg like a swimmer, runner, hiker, footballer buy paddle fins, so u can feel your legs kicking it, if u have not so strong leg or u are a girls, do buy split fins....hehe.... [img alt=:D]http://malaysianunderwater.com/smff/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/grinnn.gif[/img]  no offence....."

I think Mamakpenang is pretty spot on about it. ;)

FYI, My Cressi Frog fins (Paddle la...no split then!!) are from my open water dive in 1995...only new straps now but still going strong!!
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 5

Post Number:#7  Postby run » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:45 am

nanda666 wrote:The main thing I noticed with split fins are that they are pretty useless when used for snorkelling or surface swims. 

hahaha there will be no end to this. All up to the individual strength, stamina and how wise they use their fins for optimum performance.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby allenwoo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:49 am

As the owner of both Atomic Splitfins and Hollis Bat fins I can say that in a nutshell, they both work differently and you must adapt your kicking style to it to get the most out of it. Both can be good in currents. Only drawback in split fins is that it is almost impossible to do a reverse. But then how many people have to do a reverse in their normal dive.
allenwoo
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby Narco » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:32 am

Haha.. another Hollis Bat Fin. Hollis Bat Fin rocks! Heavy bit but it Rocks! If Batman were to dive, Hollis Bat Fin will be the ultimate Choice.

Agreed to all being discussed. I own several fins, Avanti Quattro, Hollis, Scubapro twin jet fin but i still love my cheapo atomic full foot splitfin which i got during my OWD. Very light and effective. Provided one knows how to properly use and play with it.. hehe

My advise, get a good pair of fins and be off with it. Try and try if u must. Must get comfy. Remember, a fin should be helping u, not becoming a burden to u.
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#10  Postby theevopig » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Hie,

The below is all my based on my own opinion. No offence or promote what ever brand.
My 1st fins was 2nd hand Atomic Split with spring strap. Yes this fins is PowerFul when underwater and use less energy but when you fight current you kick like nut but you still doesnt move haha and once you got up to surface with surface current i will kick until my leg cramp. Maybe my kicking style got problem haha. After 2 trip i decide to sell it off and change to something which is powerful. I read forum from malaysia and singapore then i decide to get a pair of fins which 1st i see it i will not buy it coz it looks damn ugly but its powerful and recommended which is scubapro jetfins. So i go get a pair of 2nd hand SP Jetfins. I love it so much because jet fins is suitable for frog kick which is sculling. It consume less energy and it will help on consumed less air also. For leisure dive SP jetfins can provide all your needs. But its heavy and not travel friendly. I did bring it and weight before. I wearing size L the pair of SP jetfins is 2.6KG. Lastweek i got cheap 2nd hand deal for a Hollis F1 bat fins at RM 170 and that fins is used for 2 trip only look damn new but the Hollis F1 regular fins is heavier then SP jetfins size L. A pair of hollis F1 fins weight is at 2.88kg which is 280 gram heavier the size L jetfins. Will try it out this weekend when i do my attachment course and compare the performance between SP jet and Hollis F1. So for my opinion is the best try all the fins first before you make any purchase or get a 2nd hand fins and use haha. All my fins is 2nd hand haha.

Hope this will help.
New Evolution Pig Which DIVE. Dive more discover more.Enjoy dive and DIVE SAFELY.
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby gavstang » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Cant share much since Ive never used split fins.  Im using the avanti quattro and am pleased with it although I did get a touch of cramp the other day as there was a current I was swimming against.  Everyone has their opinion on the best fins with some claiming their apollo bio fins are the best, their scuba pros, etc..Im just curious though, eventhough my avnti quatro is quite easy to slip on and off, Im just wondering if I can change the strap to a spring strap?  Anyone care to enlighten me as to whether it can be done and if its a good idea?
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#12  Postby theevopig » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Yes you can change to spring strap. here is there spring strap http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresSpringStraps
New Evolution Pig Which DIVE. Dive more discover more.Enjoy dive and DIVE SAFELY.
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby gavstang » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks for the info..anyone care to share their experience using em?  Spring straps I mean.
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby Daylight » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:52 pm

theevopig wrote:Hie,

The below is all my based on my own opinion. No offence or promote what ever brand.
My 1st fins was 2nd hand Atomic Split with spring strap. Yes this fins is PowerFul when underwater and use less energy but when you fight current you kick like nut but you still doesnt move haha and once you got up to surface with surface current i will kick until my leg cramp. Maybe my kicking style got problem haha. After 2 trip i decide to sell it off and change to something which is powerful. I read forum from malaysia and singapore then i decide to get a pair of fins which 1st i see it i will not buy it coz it looks damn ugly but its powerful and recommended which is scubapro jetfins. So i go get a pair of 2nd hand SP Jetfins. I love it so much because jet fins is suitable for frog kick which is sculling. It consume less energy and it will help on consumed less air also. For leisure dive SP jetfins can provide all your needs. But its heavy and not travel friendly. I did bring it and weight before. I wearing size L the pair of SP jetfins is 2.6KG. Lastweek i got cheap 2nd hand deal for a Hollis F1 bat fins at RM 170 and that fins is used for 2 trip only look damn new but the Hollis F1 regular fins is heavier then SP jetfins size L. A pair of hollis F1 fins weight is at 2.88kg which is 280 gram heavier the size L jetfins. Will try it out this weekend when i do my attachment course and compare the performance between SP jet and Hollis F1. So for my opinion is the best try all the fins first before you make any purchase or get a 2nd hand fins and use haha. All my fins is 2nd hand haha.

Hope this will help.

where do u get so many 2nd hand stuff? lol.. good luck with ur hollis F1 update us here
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby Daylight » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:53 pm

how do i know if the fins suit me?
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby gavstang » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Daylight wrote:how do i know if the fins suit me?

You dont!  Buy and find out!  Hahaha.
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby run » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:23 pm

hahaha what kind of a question is that?? sorry sorry
like what narco said. The fin should not be a burden to you.
It is like buying a car. You want a car that durable. Have nice 2nd value. Save gas. Average maintanance fee.
For fin, something that wont to hard on your foot, ez to pack, ez to store, doesn't drain your energy when you kick. When you sell it still have 2nd value eventho it bear a lot of scars.

when you are trying to test a fin. Dont do the slow kick. You wont feel the difference. Since most the members keep asking can the fin fight currents so why not you try to sprint in the water using the fins. See which one is the less tiring and the fastest.

The fin that suit you will make you keep on thinking about it on and on.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby theevopig » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Daylight wrote:
theevopig wrote:Hie,

Hope this will help.

where do u get so many 2nd hand stuff? lol.. good luck with ur hollis F1 update us here

Erm all my 2nd hand stuff i got it from singapore diving forum because currently i m working in singapore. You may visit this forum "www.scubasg.com" sometime you can find a very good deal there because SG got alot diver so when they are going to upgrade thier gear then they will sell thier old gear for cheap but not all la haha. Hope you can hunt some good deal there.
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:40 pm

gavstang wrote:Thanks for the info..anyone care to share their experience using em?  Spring straps I mean.

haha...u can buy the original mares spring strap for almost USD 70 excluding shipment or u can buy IST FS10 Stainless Steel Spring Strap size M (which i been using for my black mares avanti quattro - size M should be good for fins size Small & Medium) for around RM 70 per pair (2 pcs) and fixed it yourself....... B-)
i been using it about a year or so, and it is ok, the fit is nice & easy to put on & off...... :D
beware!!!!!! once u get used to spring strap u will never go back to normal rubber strap.....hehe
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby Daylight » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:37 am

how much is a mares avanti quattro roughly now?
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby mamakpenang » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:02 am

Daylight wrote:how much is a mares avanti quattro roughly now?

the new one should be around RM 280 or less.....mostly i saw yellow & blue color here in Malaysia, not black....... B-)
plus RM 70 for a pair of IST SS Spring Strap......
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby Daylight » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:11 pm

mamakpenang wrote:
the new one should be around RM 280 or less.....mostly i saw yellow & blue color here in Malaysia, not black....... B-)

where did u see it?
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby gavstang » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Wah RM280 is cheap...mine were more expensive but they are the black ones...
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby Daylight » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:42 am

gavstang wrote:Wah RM280 is cheap...mine were more expensive but they are the black ones...

why is it ppl call ir BLACK when its BLACK? anything unique about it?
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby mamakpenang » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:12 pm

haha....it is underwater fashion show bro.....
while walking on earth we wear levis 501, evisu genes jeans, guess, georgio armani & etc
underwater some divers prefer to look all black (technical divers), some all red or orange or pink & other colors deem applicable, some even have fins with different color, one yellow & one blue.... B-)
even though nobody cares....haha
cheers.....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#26  Postby gavstang » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:21 pm

mamakpenang wrote:haha....it is underwater fashion show bro.....
while walking on earth we wear levis 501, evisu genes jeans, guess, georgio armani & etc
underwater some divers prefer to look all black (technical divers), some all red or orange or pink & other colors deem applicable, some even have fins with different color, one yellow & one blue.... B-)
even though nobody cares....haha
cheers.....

So true..its a matter of individual preference like all things in life and some ppl choose to express their individuality by the colour and type of kit they use.  Personally I like the colour red but I have to say white fins or yellow fins really stand out while diving in low viz..Also, notice that most of the younger divers are using oxycheq BCs...they do look cool though.
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#27  Postby Daylight » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:38 am

thanks guys :icon_thumright:
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby theevopig » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Here is my review for Hollis F1 Batfins. It is a good fins. Very good for fight current, sculling , modified sculling and flutter kick even reverse kick. It seem look like mares excel plus and its really heavy under water. Its is suitable for those light foot user haha. If you going to purchase make sure you try with your booties before purchase coz i might hurt your foot. I face this problem. The regular size's foot pocket seem like too big for me even i m wearing US size 8. Overall the fins is a great fins only not suitable for my foot. I think will let my fren try if he like it then just sell it to him haha and i will revert back to scubapro jet fins haha.

Hope its helps.......  :icon_rr: :icon_rr: :icon_rr: :icon_rr:
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby mamakpenang » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:06 am

Daylight wrote:
mamakpenang wrote:

where did u see it?

i believe uncle henry scuba dynamics in sri hartamas still carry mares avanti quattro fins & mares products as well as IST Stainless Steel Spring Strap FS10........ B-) 
ermmm i did not work for scuba dynamics yea....hehe...... :D
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Return to Basic Gear