MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - PULAU WEH -SEEKING THE TRUTH

PULAU WEH -SEEKING THE TRUTH

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

PULAU WEH -SEEKING THE TRUTH

Post Number:#1  Postby Narco » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Fellas, upon hearing mix review here n there, I've decided to try Pulau Weh. Mamakpenang will join the crew. Just up for some leisure dives while investigating what for real and what are hoax. DC? We decided to put Lumba Lumba Diving at test (hope we gonna put up diving with em till the end). Trip is from 11-14 March. For those reading this posting and would also be there during the same period, pls do say hi!

Here goes eight fellas from the northern part of the penisular to the volcanic dive heaven (can I say that?) hehe
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author
Topics: 11

Re: PULAU WEH -SEEKING THE TRUTH

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 pm

good luck!
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:36 am

run,
hope the trip smooth and hassle free, no heavy rain, no boat fire, insyaAllah hehe... B-)
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby run » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:57 am

mamakpenang :) those thing are unpredictable. Like last weekend i just back from redang. The 1st day it was raining and even the sea was so choppy the ferry rocks like a cradle. The next day it was all sunny and clear. Did only 2 dives. No currents no wave at Sharon stone(stinger reef). Awesome! Turtle, rays brown and blue-spotted, camel shrimp, clear anemone shrimp, banded shrimp, stone fish, scorpion fish, golden travelly oh it just so many. All of them didn't me at all. I had the reef for myself, the guide and 3 other divers who i didn't know . Heaven.

Hope you have awesome trip too.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby toodus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:54 am

How does a camel shrimp look like? Udang unta?
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#6  Postby run » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:01 am

hahaha yeap..got hump on its back..want to see?? have to dive redang :p
its a common coral shrimp. Any site easy to find anywhere
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby decimal86 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Good luck....
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#8  Postby Narco » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Thanks guys for the good luck.. hehe

I must say the way decimal wishing us 'good luck' does sound scary..  :$ 
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby decimal86 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:09 pm

can you handle the truth??? hahahaha

i give you 2 links to read so you can make up your own mind

http://scubasg.com/http://malaysianunderwater.com/v2/viewtopic.php?p=17613#p17613

and this one

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/385337-accident-because-outboard-engine-caught-fire-part1-lumba-lumba-diving-centre.html

a more established and mostly caucasian forumers.

there is another at Iboih beach smaller but run by a local. apologies if you have read them before.
Last edited by decimal86 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby Narco » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 pm

decimal86 wrote:can you handle the truth??? hahahaha

Now u r scaring me man!!!!!!! Come on! Support me :)
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby decimal86 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:25 pm

sorry i modified just as u replied. i was justifying my statement.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby Narco » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:18 pm

No problem bro.. good to read. Yep, i've read that before. But i'm trying to stay positive.. haha

But thanks a bunch for the highlight.. Gonna see how it goes  :D :D
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby Narco » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Hello fellas, I'm back. One good trip lah weh. Betta than I expected. Shiny all day! The canyon was great an kindda unpredictable too.

Haha, anyway, all are good and nothing but excitement all the way!
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 pm

alhamdulillah.... B-)
the trip was smooth and hassle free, no heavy rain, no boat fire only happy & smilling faces  :D
the dive sites, dive guides, boatman, accomodation & food was good.  we really enjoy our short stay at lumbalumba.com, will be back again hehe.....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby Narco » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Alhamdulillah pak.. kita harus bersyukur segalanya baik (Thank to God.. everything went well).. amazing Pulau Weh.An amazing and challenging trip also.. hehe.. especially to KM NOL.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby run » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:47 pm

ok review on the surface cun..so what about under the water?
Animal that unsimiliar to our waters,nudibranch,  thermocline, can go deep or not that deep?
Name of the sites, bottom time and so on that you think worth to share from your own point of view.

I have read from knightdivers so how about your's ;P
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby Narco » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:55 pm

:D Yep Run.. reports coming. Now can focus on the report after the care to the gears.. hehe :D :D
Last edited by Narco on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby Narco » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:33 pm

Fellas, here is the trip report. Making is simple and as brief as possible. My approach will be more on travelling site rather than the dives. As for the dives, u have to come and experience it for urself.. hehe:

11 MARCH 2012
The Travelling

We set off from Penang on Firefly to Banda Aceh. On time flight and full on board. Supposedly it should be eight divers but due to stupid mistake with passport validity, we are down to seven. 1 hour 40 minutes later, we landed at Bandar Udara Internasional Sultan Iskandar Muda (its the airport la weii).

We did prior arrangement with a local agent for land transport and ferry. Greeted by Mimi.. to be exact, Pak Mimi (whom i thought is a chick initially.. cheh! lost IDR 100000 to my wife for a bet). Onto a van and off we go. First thing is lunch! Before that, we stopped by at the massive grave of the 2004 tsunami victim - Kuburan Masal Siron. Lunch is at Rumah Makan Masam Keu-eung with nasi Aceh. Guys, it is mostly nasi Aceh here which is totally different from nasi padang. Similar way of serving the dishes but very diff. Try the Ayam Tangkap - fried chicken with spices. Very nice. Bla bla bla during the way and we were at Ulee Lheue at about 3.00pm. On board of Express Bahari SB at 4pm - VIP class - aircond - entertaiment is old time indonesian song.. hehe

45 mins later we were greeted by Pak Har, our local man for landtransport in Balohan. Yep, many will try to approach to carry luggage and transport. Old van, no aircond but a fair transport. Stopped by Sabang town for makan-makan again. Yep, satay gurita is there and a must try. Ask for satay jawa where it comes with peanuts gravy. I can't take satay padang where they use flour gravy (tried that in padang before). Must try Roti Bakar Khas Bandung at the food court just by the sea. Guys, seriously must try!

Done with makan, off we go to Lumba Lumba. Dunno what to expect but somehow we decided to went straight to KM NOL, the starting point of Indonesia. It was already dark and trhe road is narrow. 7.23pm (Indonesian time) were were there enjoying the sun which already at the set (hehe.. mind my english). Upon arrival we were greeted by a wild boar and left some of us running up and down (learnt later that it got a name, Broy. That poor fella is probably hungry). Beautiful scenery and u can actually see the waves hitting onto the wall fiecely... What a view and no way i'm gonna be swimming down there (without knowing that we gonna dive there later on the second day).

Reached lumba lumba at about 8pm. Greeted by some Adrian a DMT from Holland and Gary, an AI from UK. Left the gears and off to the room for a quick shower and prayers. Dinner is at Dang Dang Na Restaurant & Bungalow, just next to lumba lumba. Good food! Off we go, tomorrow is an early start. Before leaving, we ordered for breakfast for tomorrow. Well, food is not that slow. Fair timing as for me. Very inlike here in Malaysia, they prepare food quietly and tadaaaa... its done. And the food is in a very generous amount. fruit juices mostly at IDR8,000. Pure juice and generously prepared. Try the avacado. The nasi goreng udang is with 'REAL' udang. we ate only at Dang Dang Na throughout the stay.

Tips and damage:
Land and Ferry transport (return): IDR 415,000 perpax.
Lunch for eight - IDR 308,000.
Dinner at Dang Dang Na - IDR 25,000 perpax (estimate).

Last edited by Narco on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby Narco » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:02 pm

SECOND DAY - 12 MARCH 2012
The Diving

The day started with a big breakfast at 7.30am (indonesia time. An Hour diff - Malaysia is 8.3oam).Three dives for the day. Lumba Lumba is up for a normal two dives but the extra is upon request. The center open at 8.00am. They will normally do first dive at 9.30am and the following at 2.00pm. We do the first set up and the rest are all by the local Lumba Lumba crew. Gear handling? Pretty good. They carry ur gears and do the changing for u throughtout the dives. That includes cleaning too. Notify them if u wanna handle ur gear personally. The fiber glass boat is on maintainence. Three DM with us. All local boys, Elly (the senior), Ampon and Roby with good english. They look after u real good.. hehe.. Sorry guys, aint much pics to be posted. All turns crappy!! Haiyaa.. 

FIRST DIVE - Rubiah Sea Garden - 0940H
Depth - 22.7m
Time - 41 mins
Temp - 28
Viz - 30m - Great

Rubiah Sea Garden is fairly near. Less than 20 minutes ride on the wooden boat. The site is near to Rubiah Island. Plenty of fish. Lots of Blue Sea Star (linckia laevigata). Unfortunately, camera got foggy. Aiyoo..

Plenty of Tube Coral (tubastraes micrantha) and others (too many to check lah weii). Glimpse of Varicose wart slug were also seen. Not too forget, Gorganian Fan Coral, Black Spotted and Giant Moray as well. It is a garden and live up to the name. Nope, see no Honeycomb. Amazing viz.

SECOND DIVE - Batee Tokong - 1336H
Max Depth - 21.7m
Time - 42 mins
Temp - 28
Viz - 30m - Great

Abundance amount of fish. And unbelievable amount of eels as well. Just name it.. black spotted, white eyed, giant moray and even fimbriated moray. Moray everywhere and every inch of the site.

Healthy hard corals. Spotted a Peacock mantis as well and spiny lobster. Octopus were seen as well - twice. Both hiding in holes, shying away from us.There are more but i'm busy with taking care of the wife.. hehe.. Stomach too full since we took lunch before the dive.. aiyoo, barely can breath..

THIRD DIVE - Lumba Lumba House Reef - 1648H
Max Depth - 15.5m
Time - 55 mins
Temp - 28
Viz - 15m - Good

This time the mat saleh came with us. Giving the local DM a little break. Gary and Adrian leading the house reef. The house reef is divided into two area. We went to the right site where the small boat wreck is. Plenty of coral banded and durban dacing shrimp. No reef sharks, turtles or manta. SIgh.. but we bumped into lots of lionfish and a huge scorpionfish. Pretty ugly but yet beautiful fella (dun touch, it aint gonna be beautiful once it sting). Lots of staghorn and Godeffroy Sea Cucumber (euapta godeffroyi).. aiyoo, thought it was a sea snake. The prize is the Flying Gurnards.. very rarely seen. I wish i have my camera with me..
Last edited by Narco on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby run » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:01 pm

wow..the omelette so big!!

Any currents during the dives? 
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby Narco » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Hehe Run, The makan was so good till we forget why we are there in the first place.. Will release more pics on the food! Nope, we can seem to find the time to walk up to the main road for makan-makan at the makcik stall up there. The Mama Jungle which mentioned in most earlier post was closed all the time. Was told it will only open upon reservation with big group. The menantu of Mama Jungle is a DM in Lumba Lumba.

Yep, thanks for asking. Current is unpredictable. Batee Tokong was manageable and can still fight. But not in Canyon (i remember decimal posted about 1m waves). Can't fight it even with an avanti quattro. So i decided to stay low at canyon. Will post on canyon later guys. The current in both batee tokong and canyon came in various direction and was playing low and strong just within minutes.

Doing Pulau Weh? I would advise one to be really fit. Going up to the boat at canyon was a struggle. Payah betul. I sat on the tangga and hold the newly painted tangga kayu of the boat really strong while releasing my bcd and fins.

Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby run » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Narco wrote:Doing Pulau Weh? I would advise one to be really fit. Going up to the boat at canyon was a struggle. Payah betul. I sat on the tangga and hold the newly painted tangga kayu of the boat really strong while releasing my bcd and fins.

We always learn new thing when we go dive in another country. I wanted to know about the currents cause i have
some newbies with me. Air consumption will be pretty heavy whenever newbies encounter currents so i need to prepare
myself to dive with them . It seems that you guys did 3 dives and didn't reach 25m+ and so i guess there must have been some currentz.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby mamakpenang » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:10 pm

run, just wanna add something...
we enjoy the foods/lunch like no dives after the lunch, and go diving with stomach full hehe...u know how does it feel right... :D
as for removing your weight belt & BCD and pass it to the boatman, for me it is just a formality there and it is an options actually, depends on the surface, if the surface rough, i will pass the fins only and climb up the ladder with BCD & tank attached..... B-)
agreed with narco, need to be fit if the surface is rough......but the DM and boatman will help no problemo....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby run » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:26 pm

my style less intake in the morning , more food by lunch and much more food at dinner.

Is it a standard to do bottom time 40min?? This mean you guys end the dive at around 36min and already start to ascend.

Sorry i asked a lot cause i am going to dive with people who never dived with me but somehow they want to follow me  :laughing11:
Last edited by run on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#25  Postby mamakpenang » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:58 pm

run,
there are 7 of us in one boat with DM and boatman, unlike redang or perhentian, lumbalumba provide us with 3 DM and 2 boatman hehe....cha cha private diving 1 DM for 2 or 3 Divers
the are no standard to do bottom time 40min.
if your tank left with 50 bar, do let the DM know, and one of the DM will follow u to do 5mtr 3mins safety stop before surfacing, the rest of the group will continue diving until their tank reach 50bar, no need end the dive early if one of the diver finished air faster then the rest orf the group (btw most of the case, i will be the one to finished the air first hehe... :D )
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#26  Postby run » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:12 pm

ok thanks for the info :D good to know that.  Thanx mamakpenang
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#27  Postby mamakpenang » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 pm

run, no problemo....
4D3N diving trip is to short, wish i could do 5D4N instead, but no flight back to Penang on the 5th day...
when you going there, which DC?
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#28  Postby Narco » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Run, actually bottom time is very much depending on your air consumption.. hehe

We have some newbies as well. Not really newbies but they dive rarely. As for me, i tend to move here and there underwater as i was the only one with camera and at the same time have to do some assisting. On most dives, i still have over 50 bar but have to go up with my fellow buddy. As what mamakpenang is saying, they provide sufficient number of DMs. I would say that they are pretty good and friendly. The kind of people who would be trying their very best to ensure your safety and comfort. Again, our experience are with the local DMs. If with the ang mohs, i'm not very sure. However, we have good time during our housereef with Gary and Adrian.

Haha.. can we follow u also? hehe.. Not enough diving since we only manage to squeeze 6 dives.. :)
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby run » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:30 pm

u want to dive weh again? hahaha
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#30  Postby Narco » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Run, to be honest, I don't mind doing Weh again. There are still plenty of dive sites. Shark plateau, anoi itam, slippery rock, seulako's drift and many more. One that i wanted to go is Sophie Rickmers. Need to train on that. Deco dive and they will have to do some technical preparation to it.

I wonder has any of the forum member been to sophie. I bet their experience would be useful.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Next

Return to International Destinations