MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - ANYBODY WITH FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE DIVING MOALBOAL, PHILIPPINES?

ANYBODY WITH FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE DIVING MOALBOAL, PHILIPPINES?

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

ANYBODY WITH FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE DIVING MOALBOAL, PHILIPPINES?

Post Number:#1  Postby syed » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:27 am

Anybody out there has gone diving in Moalboal, Cebu? If so, much appreciate some info i.e. how good is the diving? Many interesting sites? Interesting critters? Big stuff? Macro? How many days of diving should one consider? Which resort to stay in? Apres-diving activities?  And anything else of interest. Looking forward to some early replies. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by syed on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
syed
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Re: ANYBODY WITH FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE DIVING MOALBOAL, PHILIPPINES?

Post Number:#2  Postby decimal86 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:36 pm

syed wrote:

Anybody out there has gone diving in Moalboal, Cebu? If so, much appreciate some info i.e. how good is the diving? Many interesting sites? Interesting critters? Big stuff? Macro? How many days of diving should one consider? Which resort to stay in? Apres-diving activities?  And anything else of interest. Looking forward to some early replies. Thanks in advance.

i have been there. my report is here

http://malaysianunderwater.com/smff/international/moal-boal-philippines/

and i am going again this weekend but to swim with whalesharks...
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#3  Postby Narco » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Decimal bro.. Now I feel like doing MoalBoal.. As singles (hope my other half will not be reading this post) hehehe
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#4  Postby syed » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:34 am

Decimal, many thanks. The forum can ALWAYS count on you for the most informative, hands-on, no-nonsense dive report. Keep up the good work, mate.
syed
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby decimal86 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:07 am

Syed,

I am happy to share. I will be going again from 5th thru 8th Mar 2012. We r actually staying there and taking their land trasfer to Oslob to swim/dive with the whalesharks. Anything else you want me to ask around at Moal Boal?

Yo Narco,its a happening place bro!
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby Narco » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Syed, afreeing to u. Decimal gave a very clear informative report.

Decimal bro, I will check it out.. haha.. Cebu!!!!
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#7  Postby syed » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Deci, Me going from April 21 to May 1. A few days in Moalboal first, with  a couple day trips to Oslob, and thereafter to Malapascua. Anybody out there reading this thread who would want to join us are most welcome. Just PM me. Cheers.
syed
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby decimal86 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:12 am

syed wrote:Deci, Me going from April 21 to May 1. A few days in Moalboal first, with  a couple day trips to Oslob, and thereafter to Malapascua. Anybody out there reading this thread who would want to join us are most welcome. Just PM me. Cheers.

at the moment only Savedra responded to my queries on Oslob. the rest nvr replied. i have a quote from them i will go and see if it is worth it. will write a report on it as well.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby projekts » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 am

Hi there
Just got back from Moalboal, Oslob and Malapascua.
Good trip, diving with the whalesharks and threshers
Sardines are still around, but not like before. Saw a school of them during one of the morning dives but according to the guide, it's no where near what it was before.
Was diving with Cebu Dive Centre (on of the cheapest DC around there), with this guide Bibit. Very honest and eager guide who will try his best to satisfy everyone's requirement. And remember to request for night dive to see blue ring octopus and dusk dive to see mandarin fishes. Moalboal are mostly wall dives, but a lot of macro stuff to be seen. Vis was not fantastic(between 5-15m) as they said it had been like that since the earthquake.
We did a 1 day trip to Oslob from Moalboal with Nelson. Their price is slightly lower than Savedra but same service. Transport/Tanks/BBQ lunch to Oslob. A friend just went to Savedra and said lunch was so so, but Nelson's BBQ lunch is to die for. It was so good that we were trying to bribe the chef to sell his recipe to us. Superb service and nice guide too.
Was staying at La Boca, 2 doors away from Cebu Dive Centre. Very clean and decent air conditioned room for 4 paxs (1 double bed and 2 single beds), and managed by this couple who are very honest and nice and always ready to help you if you have any question.
Malapascua was unplanned for us, so we just talked to this restaurant owner (Hannah Restaurant) and she helped us arranged for a transport to bring us from Moalboal to Maya (jetty to go to Malapascua) at a very good price. Dived with Sea Explorer from Malapascua, more expensive but 5 stars service, and if you want to see threshers, they are the one to go for, because they leave the island at 5am while the rest leave at 5.30am. We were in the water watching threshers until the rest of the dive centres arrived, and the amount of divers can easily scare the great white away, let alone the shy threshers.
Another place to dive at Malapascua is the Gato Island. There was this shallow cave at 5m, which we entered, dived for about 5 mins, and came to this opening where there were 2 sharks cruising around. The feeling is like underwater cinema, watching the sharks. Lots of seahorses and nudis.
Hope the info helps.
projekts
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 13

Post Number:#10  Postby syed » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi Projeks, many thanks for your detailed posting. The info really helped for us to better decide what to do, where to stay. Cheers, mate.
syed
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby projekts » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:51 am

there are a lot of dive centres in Moalboal itself, literally 1 every 3 doors you come across.
all you need is to confirm your accommodations and transports there and you can slowly take your pick about who you want to dive with, because there are this much dive centres there. Just a personal preference, Hannah Restaurant serves the best food among all, but just slightly more pricey. And food is not exactly very cheap there too... average about 300peso a meal per person excluding beer.
projekts
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby decimal86 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:50 pm

I am Moal Boal now reading this. Good one bro' this is not at Panagsama Beach? Want to try the food you post. After my evening dive
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby decimal86 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Ok saw it. Took a walk after dinner. It's the first place you hit before turning left for Savedra. Hannah s was busy when I was there.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby projekts » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:06 am

if you are walking from savedra's side, it will be toward the japanese stall direction, past the japanese stall, turn to your left, and follow the path in... just beside cebu dive centre
projekts
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby decimal86 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:53 pm

If u go next time, try Sunny Ray bar where they grill sea food. Value for money. We tried Hannah's the Jap food is horrible. The grill prawns was ok. But Sunny s is bigger prawn.

We did not try the Jap stall, our HK friends say it was passable.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Return to International Destinations