MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Koh Lipe Dive Report

Koh Lipe Dive Report

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Koh Lipe Dive Report

Post Number:#1  Postby pufferfish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:15 am

[size=1em]Hi, I wanted to contribute back to forum by sharing my first dive report. I travelled to Koh Lipe on the 18th of January 2012[/size]

[size=1em]Getting to Koh Lipe was simple, a short flight to Langkawi then a 60 minutes ferry ride from Telaga Harbour. We spent the night before in Langkawi to catch the 9:30 morning ferry but the taxi driver that drove us from the hotel to the harbour told us that is was possible to catch the first Airasia flight out of Kuala Lumpur and still make it on time.[/size]

[size=1em]Once we cleared immigration located right by the beach, we were whisked away by Antoine of Forra Divers to the Charan 3, my first liveaboard experience that lasted just one night. We would have liked to stay on board a little longer but the boat was headed towards Koh Phi Phi, stopping at various dive sites along the South Andaman Sea and we didn’t have six days to spare.[/size]
[size=1em]We spent the remaining 2 nights diving from Koh Lipe and stay at the economically Forra Bungalows on Sunrise beach. I completed 9 dives and dove at the following sites:[/size]

[size=1em]8th Mile Rock: Considered as one of the best dive sites in Koh Lipe but conditions were bad when we dove – bad visibility with strong currents.[/size]
[size=1em]Stonehenge: Beautiful reef covered in soft purple and white coral. Spotted 2 seahorses, a school of barracudas, puffers, white-eyed morals, sea snakes and cleaner shrimps.[/size]
[size=1em]Sunrise Reef (Night Dive): Shine your torch around and thousand of red eyes will shine back at you. These eyes belonged to tiny shrimp and reef was cover with them… pretty amazing. Saw a decorated crab, many puffers, a baby lionfish and some morays.[/size]
[size=1em]Yong Hua Wreck: Thai fish processing boat that caught fire and sank in 1996. Low visibility so it was impossible to make out the entire wreck. I think the boat is upside down as the propellers are on the top of the wreck. Schools of fish, dam large lionfish, ghost pipefish, large grouper.Koh Sarang: Beautiful coral gardens, great visibility and calm waters. Spotted a clumsy looking devil scorpion fish walking on a stone formation. Also saw 2 juvenile emperor angelfish, flute fish, sole fish, scorpion fish and mantis shrimp.[/size]
[size=1em]Koh Pung: [/size][size=1em]We dove here twice in very different conditions. Very strong currents on the first dive with low visibility. My buddy and I got separated from the group and had to perform our safety stop while being pushed out by the currents. The next day it was calm and it wasn’t until I filled out my log book that I realized it was the same site.[/size]

[size=1em]I enjoyed my 3 nights in Koh Lipe. Diving was better than expected and it was very laid back compared to Phi Phi or Phuket. People at Forra Divers were mostly friendly and the Forra Restaurant on Sunrise Beach served decent to good food depending on what you order. Koh Lipe is definitely a good choice for an overseas dive trip for under RM1600.[/size]

[size=1em]Breakdown of the damage:[/size]
[size=1em]Return Airticket to Langkawi: RM236Return[/size]
[size=1em]Ferry to Koh Lipe: RM248[/size]
[size=1em]One Helang Hotel in Langkawi: RM230 (not recommended because the service sucked and it’s possible to catch the first Airasia flight instead of spending a night in Langkawi)[/size]
[size=1em]9 dives and 3 nights accommodation: RM1040[/size]
[size=1em]You can view some pictures here: http://www.cherylgoh.com/2012/02/01ing_koh_lipe/[/size]
Last edited by pufferfish on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pufferfish
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Koh Lipe Dive Report

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:15 am

Great report. Thanks for sharing

I saw a few of friends photos to the same destination yesterday and the water was a bit choppy.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby Narco » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:58 am

Post more pics in ur blog! I think i know one french guy at Forra who used to be a DM at one of the DC in Perhentian before.

Ill be in Lipe this year. December!
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#4  Postby zaff1984 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:42 am

hi.. where do you buy the ferry ticket to koh lipe..? at Kuah or Telaga Habour Jetty? btw great dive report. we need more photo...hehe :P
Last edited by zaff1984 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby run » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:58 am

i will be there too in Nov ..LOB style :)
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#6  Postby mamakpenang » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:40 am

nice one B-)  thank you for sharing......
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby pufferfish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:45 pm

zaff1984 wrote:hi.. where do you buy the ferry ticket to koh lipe..? at Kuah or Telaga Habour Jetty? btw great dive report. we need more photo...hehe :P

I bought the tickets online from this website. I recommend doing it online http://www.telagaharbour.com/Lipeshuttle.html

Cheers all and thank for the nice comments.
Last edited by pufferfish on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pufferfish
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby Ian J » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:28 am

Anyone know how difficult/easy it is to get to the Koh Lipe ferry after arriving by the Penang/Langkawi ferry. Looks like they use different terminals and I can't figure out how far they are apart. Has anyone done this?
BTW, great dive report Cheryl.
Ian
Ian J
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby tim » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:43 am

Ian J wrote:Anyone know how difficult/easy it is to get to the Koh Lipe ferry after arriving by the Penang/Langkawi ferry. Looks like they use different terminals and I can't figure out how far they are apart. Has anyone done this?
BTW, great dive report Cheryl.
Ian

Ian, that information is covered in other topics on the forum. Search for Koh Lipe or Langkawi.
tim

Post Number:#10  Postby Ian J » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:43 am

Tried that but could not find any references, on MUW

However, seems that the Penang Ferry arrives at the Jetty terminal in Kuah town, (next to the Langkawi yacht club).
Koh Lipe ferry leaves from Telaga harbour.
Needs a cross island ride, (taxi I assume) 28.5Km, 34min according to google maps
Ian
Ian J
Diver
Diver

Return to International Destinations