MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Pulau Weh - Are Corals Pristine and Trees still Green after the Tsunami??

Pulau Weh - Are Corals Pristine and Trees still Green after the Tsunami??

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Re: Pulau Weh - Are Corals Pristine and Trees still Green after the Tsunami??

Post Number:#31  Postby Knightdivers » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Day 3 (27th Jan 2012)
Achenese has a strict tradition of not touching the sea on Thursdays after dusk till Friday noon. With that, we hired a private taxi to take us for a half day tour of the island and plan to resume diving in the afternoon.
The driver took us to Sabang town for Mee Sabang (their version of Wan Tan  noodle as the owner was Chinese). One of the worker who is also a Chinese would offer you to Exchange some ringgit with him. You should seriously consider changing sufficient rupiah as they ain't that many places to change your money in Gapang area or the dive areas.
We went to the nearby Sabang fish market to get some fresh tuna for a fraction of what we would pay back in KL. The plan for dinner that night would be the fish.
Highlights of the half day tour were our little walk into the Pria waterfalls, having the freshest coconut where the store keeper would actually run to the back of his little coconut plantation and pluck for you, buying some fresh and ultra fragant kampung Durian from his Durian Orchard and most importantly, our trip to the active volcano. Besides the driver, the 4 of us have not been to a life volcano before. Steam was released from the ground and it was an amazing sight if you don’t mind the smell of sulfur.
By 4pm, were diving at Seulako’s Drift. Ribbon eels were a common sight especially the black juveniles. We did not proceed with another dive as we got out of that dive at about 5pm. We were also advised to forgo the night dive as there isn’t much to see. I kind of doubt it because we witnessed moray eels and banded kraits bravely making their way to the seashore in the evening. A rather unbelieving sight for us actually.
The tuna that we bought was served at dinner for the four of us. A rather cheap affair considering we were cooking it ourselves. Another early night as well as there were no entertainment or consistent electricity that you could plug your laptop into. Mosquitoes repellant is a must as well cause we were stung all over during the night.
Half Day Tour for four person: 300K Rupiah ****
Mee Sabang and Drinks: About RM8 per person as we paid for the driver’s food and drink as well. ****
Fresh Tuna: 40K per fish. Enough for the 4 of us to eat *****
Fresh Coconut: 8k rupiah each *****
Fresh Durian: 50k rupiah for 2 average size durian *****

For some photos taken on the first few days, check out:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.300148913374784.68012.160820087307668&type=1
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author
Topics: 2

Post Number:#32  Postby Knightdivers » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Malxn wrote:Just came back from Weh for 2 days dive. Dive with Rubiah Tirta. Stay 4 nights with Freddies Santai SumurTiga. Yes no dive on Friday morning.
Diving was good and viz around 10m-15m. Amazing beach in Iboih as well as SumurTiga. Mee Sabang (Mee Jala) and Satay Gurita was awesome....!! Will be back for sure...

@Malxn, totally agree with you on the Mee Sabang :)  Will probably try to stay at Iboih the next time :D
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#33  Postby Narco » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Mee sabang and satay gurita.. sounds tempting.. Pulau Weh in March, here i come.
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#34  Postby Steven » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:31 pm

knightdivers thanks for the breakdown of the cost.

Two questions.
- Does the cost include your own gear or the DC?
- About the mossi, don't they provide mosquitoe coils? 
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#35  Postby Knightdivers » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Steven wrote:knightdivers thanks for the breakdown of the cost.

Two questions.
- Does the cost include your own gear or the DC?
- About the mossi, don't they provide mosquitoe coils?

Hi Steven,

The cost does not include any gear as usual. Only tanks, weights, boat n guide.
They do provide but still kena teruk :(  bring along mosquito repellant.
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#36  Postby run » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:06 am

uh no! i'm allergic to mosquito coils.will buy lots of stick-on repellant for this trip.
Got 7-11 right near SSS?
i have no problem eating less in the morning before the 1st dive. only once i get back from the dive
i will be as hungry as a lion.
Got fridge or not at SSS?
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#37  Postby Narco » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:31 am

Run, worry not. Ask for tips from the locals on how to build resistance against the mosquito of Pulau Weh.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#38  Postby run » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:03 pm

narco , doubt i'll manage to absord their tips within 6days. Don't play-play. Those mosquitos are build for tough.
can endure tsunami plus earthquake tremors.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#39  Postby Narco » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:02 pm

Haiyoo.. don't tsunami-tsunami all lah.. i'm going soon u know.. shhh.. Counting days!
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#40  Postby Knightdivers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:21 pm

run wrote:uh no! i'm allergic to mosquito coils.will buy lots of stick-on repellant for this trip.
Got 7-11 right near SSS?
i have no problem eating less in the morning before the 1st dive. only once i get back from the dive
i will be as hungry as a lion.
Got fridge or not at SSS?

@run, no 7-11 in Pulau Weh bro. Ask Steffan the boss to give u those electric coil. Also, go to Watsons in KL to buy mosquito repellant with lemongrass.

I strongly advice u to order your food before u go for your dive cos the chefs there won the slowest cook in the world. Even instant noodle takes half hour to cook!
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#41  Postby run » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:03 pm

hahaha Narco no-lah May u have wonderful sighting in your coming trip to Weh.

Knightdivers, OIC. Looks like i have to bring out the MasterChef within me.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#42  Postby Narco » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Run, if u got hungry, u can also order Pizza Hut Delivery or McD Delivery (no minimum order).. hehe.. They will send by boat.. hehe (dont be angry eh.. just pulling ur leg)

Praying for wonderful sighting. I'll be doing Lumba-Lumba.. Gonna pack my own electric repellent. Any more tips from those who have gone to Pulau Weh?
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#43  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:52 pm

run wrote:narco , doubt i'll manage to absord their tips within 6days. Don't play-play. Those mosquitos are build for tough.
can endure tsunami plus earthquake tremors.

run,
i think i have a solution for u
bring kelambu with u hehe......mosquitos nets will solve your problem.
jangan marah.....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#44  Postby Narco » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Agreeing to the Kelambu idea!! it is good and somehow or rather will keep u warm.. hehe
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#45  Postby Knightdivers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Narco wrote:Agreeing to the Kelambu idea!! it is good and somehow or rather will keep u warm.. hehe

Narco, if u r diving with Lumba Lumba, stay beside them in Dang Dangna Bungalow for 250k rupiah. It comes with air cond and mosquito netting B-)
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#46  Postby Knightdivers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Day 4 (28th Jan 2012)

As we had 2 more boat dives with SSS, we started our day early and headed off to the Underwater Hot Spring. A site where you dive and relax with the warm bubbles rising from the vents. Be warned that the vents are fuming hot and do avoid direct contact at all times. Allow the volume of sea water to cool it at a few inches away from the vent. This would be the safe distance. It is another experience itself although there aren’t much marine life here.

Our second dive was Shark Plateau. Current were pretty strong and this is the site with reef sharks. Not that many on that day as we were drifting to and fro most of the time. Once again, there were moray eels of different species.

After our second boat dive, we made arrangements with our cab driver and shifted to Gapang Beach to dive with Lumba Lumba Dive Centre because it was said that the shore dive at Gapang produces good macro. We stayed right beside the dive centre at a place called Dang Dangna Bungalows. I preferred this place than staying in Lumba Lumba itself as it is air conditioned.

Don’t expect a warm greeting from this nasty front desk person by the name of Rama. The rest of the people are really nice but I don’t know why the boss is still keeping such a person. He was  rude to most people especially to Malaysians and Singaporeans. Diving over here isn’t cheap. A boat dive would cost Euro 22 without equipments. That works out to be RM85 per dive. We wanted to go for a shore dive in the evening but he claimed that we have to go with a guide for the first time and all the dive masters are gone for the day. He said this without even trying.

Just ended up taking an afternoon nap and met a few interesting divers during dinner at Gapang. The good thing about this stretch of beach is that there are more restaurants.

Cab Transfer from SSS to Gapang via a visit to Nol Kilometer & Buying some durians again: 150k rupiah for the 4 of us **
Grill Fresh Fish for Dinner at Dang Dangna Bungalow: 65k per person with drinks ****
Dang Dangna Bungalow: 250k rupiah per bungalow per night with air cond for 2 person ***

As usual, my photos of this trip can be found in this link of my sponsor's FB page. Appreciate if you can 'like' them:
http://www.facebook.com/LuminoxMalaysia
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#47  Postby Narco » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Good report and good suggestion Knightdivers. Very detail and useful. Keep it up bro.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#48  Postby mamakpenang » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:38 pm

knightdivers,
thank you for the details report...... :)
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#49  Postby Knightdivers » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Day 5 (29th Jan 2012)

Started our day diving at the Canyon. Unlike the speed boats that were used by SSS, the journey on the wooden boat owned by Lumba Lumba was really slow. This is the time you would get a tan or sunburn if you are not protected. We reached the Canyon after 30 minutes from Gapang Beach but it was worth it. This site is definitely a must go for lovers of Sea Fans and we were lucky that the usual strong currents were felt that morning. I was too amazed with the gigantic sea fans that I hardly paid any attention on other marine creatures. I knew there were sharks, turtles and Napolean Wrasse but I was too busy admiring the landscape and trying to find the best angle to capture the sea fans.

Since we have only logged 5 dives thus far, we planned to make 2 more shore dives and 1 night dive before we leave the island. We didn’t waste much time after our boat dive at Canyon with only a nice tea break and some ‘taufu’ served by a local old lady that most people call ‘mama’.

The shore dive was really great for macro. We were trying to locate the weedy scorpion fish but ended up with different types of shrimps, squat lobster and again more morays. We were told there are seahorses there as well and frog fish but did not find any on that day.

We used a very experienced Japanese Dive Guide for our night dive on the shore and it was brilliant. He knew the place really well and we saw the yellow and black leaf scorpion fish, decorator crab, anemone crab, flatheads and other night macro critters. We spent more than 90 minutes underwater for our very last dive of the whole trip.

Feeling great after the dive, we went to 360 Café for the recommended ‘Gado Gado’ and our curry dinner. Knowing it would be an early day tomorrow, we headed back to pack and rest for the day.

Lumba Lumba Boat Dive: RM85 per dive without equipments **
Shore Dive Daytime without guide: RM30 per dive ***
Shore Dive Night time with guide: RM65 per dive ****
Shore dive night time without guide: RM40 per dive **
Nasi Campur Lunch: 20k per person ****
Normal Dinner at 360 Café: 30k rupiah per person ***
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#50  Postby run » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:51 pm

hahaha i will definitely like u in my FB.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#51  Postby Narco » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Very detail report. I like!

Wah, Run.. U will only like Knightdivers only? How about us? U don't want to like is it??
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#52  Postby zaff1984 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:37 pm

@knightdiver: seriously 90min underwater.. Wow im hardly go to 60min underwater. Haha.. How do you guys breath man..!! No pro wanna dive with me. Haha.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#53  Postby run » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:56 pm

no lar zaff...u'll be there one day dont worry. Do a lot of hovering in the pool that is how you'll manage to control your breathing

narco knightdiver gave away every details of coz i have to like it :P
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#54  Postby zaff1984 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:32 pm

run wrote:no lar zaff...u'll be there one day dont worry. Do a lot of hovering in the pool that is how you'll manage to control your breathing

narco knightdiver gave away every details of coz i have to like it :P

ok..  thanks for the tips. I should do yoga too.. haha
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#55  Postby Knightdivers » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:16 pm

run wrote:hahaha i will definitely like u in my FB.

Thanks run :)
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#56  Postby Knightdivers » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:18 pm

zaff1984 wrote:@knightdiver: seriously 90min underwater.. Wow im hardly go to 60min underwater. Haha.. How do you guys breath man..!! No pro wanna dive with me. Haha.

Zaff, it's no big deal cos we were in less than 10 meters of water. Just remember, diving is not about who can tahan lebih lama but rather who can dive safely. Don't listen to those wanna be macho divers. Dive safe to dive another dive :)
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#57  Postby Knightdivers » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Day 6 (30th Jan 2012)

We left at 7am sharp and headed off to Sabang Town for a quick Nasi Lemak breakfast before going to the Jetty for the 8.30am jetty. If we miss that, it would spell problem for us cause the next ferry wouldn’t allow us to get to the airport on time. I have to say the Nasi Lemak was good.

Cost of Ferry back is the same as the one we arrived on although it is a different express ferry but the VIP seats are recycled aircraft seats. Therefore, I would recommend that you just safe that few bucks and settle for Business class instead.

When we got to the jetty back at Bandar Aceh, our driver offered to take us for a city tour before going to the airport as the flight was at 5.45pm and the time of our arrival at the jetty was only 9.30 in the morning. You will not have such problems from February 6th 2012 because the flight to KL on Air Asia would be earlier. It was good as we took our time to visit the Tsunami museum and almost everything else about the disaster. Didn’t feel too good after looking at all the uncensored photos of the victims but found the relieve back at the Ocean Spa where we again took the 2 hours package for a full body massage and scrub and a good shower before heading for our late lunch.

Our driver took us for Nasi Padang and it was great. Bought some local souvenirs as well before heading to the airport. Got back to KL about 8.30pm. Whew!

A good trip but would have been better if there were less mosquitoes! Do bring along mosquitoes repellant and request for air conditioned rooms. Do go to the Canyon and Pantee Peunateung. Shark Plateau if you like drift diving. Experience the underwater hot spring dive and spend at least 2 shore dives at Gapang. Do try the fresh coconuts and durians too. That’s all for now buddies!!

Bandar Aceh City Tour: 200k rupiah per car that sits 2 pax ****
Good Nasi Padang Lunch where we ate like gluttons: RM25 per person ****
Airport Tax: 100k rupiah per person

Some final photos have been uploaded to http://www.facebook.com/LuminoxMalaysia my sponsor for this trip to Pulau Weh

------------------------- End of Trip Report -------------------------------------
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#58  Postby run » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:43 pm

my flight back to KL will be at noon so we had to stay over night at banda aceh. definitely will do some city tour.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#59  Postby run » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:46 pm

Knightdivers wrote:Zaff, it's no big deal cos we were in less than 10 meters of water. Just remember, diving is not about who can tahan lebih lama but rather who can dive safely. Don't listen to those wanna be macho divers. Dive safe to dive another dive :)

definitely true!! especially divers who are doing their DM. Well not most of them hahaha ;p
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#60  Postby zaff1984 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:29 am

Knightdivers wrote:
zaff1984 wrote:@knightdiver: seriously 90min underwater.. Wow im hardly go to 60min underwater. Haha.. How do you guys breath man..!! No pro wanna dive with me. Haha.

Zaff, it's no big deal cos we were in less than 10 meters of water. Just remember, diving is not about who can tahan lebih lama but rather who can dive safely. Don't listen to those wanna be macho divers. Dive safe to dive another dive :)

@Knight & @run: thank you for being supportive and tips. Special picture for you two. Electric Ray (according to my dive guide lah @ Pulau Weh. ahaha.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb68/amin1984/Pulau%20Weh/ElectricRay.jpg[/img]
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

PreviousNext

Return to International Destinations