MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Pulau Weh - Are Corals Pristine and Trees still Green after the Tsunami??

Pulau Weh - Are Corals Pristine and Trees still Green after the Tsunami??

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Pulau Weh - Are Corals Pristine and Trees still Green after the Tsunami??

Post Number:#1  Postby Knightdivers » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:41 pm

We will be going to Pulau Weh tomorrow. A little island less known to a lot of divers in Sumatra, Indonesia. This island marks the start of the Indonesian island on the west with the Andaman Sea meeting the Indian Ocean. Definitely sounds like a place where great marine life would be especially with an active volcano. We hope to give a more holistic coverage of this island in terms of the logistics, the food, the culture, things that matters to divers and most importantly, the corals and marine life after the 2004 tsunami. Luminox, a dive watch company is our official sponsors for this trip. They have a serious mission to protect the marine environment.

For Malaysians, the journey is going to take only an hour and 30 minutes to Banda Aceh. Our flight is at 16:50 from LCCT tomorrow by Air Asia. Apparently will have flights to Banda Aceh around noon time starting from the 6th of February 2012 so that those who plan to go to Pulau Weh can catch the last ferry at 16:00. We will be spending the night in Banda Aceh hopefully to grab some food food and a good view of the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami.

Will report more on this trip if the Internet connection is good and will post some photos too to share.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/luminox-borneo-malaysia/luminox-dive-expedition-to-pulau-weh-indonesia-25-30-january-2012/282891631767179

Gong Xi Fatt Chai too!

Knightdivers
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author
Topics: 2

Re: Pulau Weh - Are Corals Pristine and Trees still Green after the Tsunami??

Post Number:#2  Postby Narco » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:47 am

Happy Diving bra! Mine will be in March. Anxious to read the review! Luminox dive expedition? Should have extend the invite to all of us!
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#3  Postby zaff1984 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Happy diving.. Dont forget to try sate matang @ banda aceh pretty good. Very interesting island take time to visit few places after diving. Friday is no diving day (local culture).
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Knightdivers » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks Narco and Zaff. Finally managed to get some time to put some report together. Here it is:-

As costing will always be a common question that most divers would ask after we post a report of a trip, I will therefore try my very best to share the report with costing and ratings instead. As usual, my ratings would be
lousy or crappy *
a lot to improve **
ok considering the price ***
quite good ****
very good *****
fantastic deal and service ******

Will post this report on as a day to day to relive to moments:0

Day 1 (25th Jan 2012)

Four of us flew from LCCT Airport on a direct flight to Banda Aceh at about 5pm. Flights are not daily from KL but we were told from 6th Feb, the Air Asia would fly earlier at about noon and this would mean that those who plan to go to Pulau Weh on the last ferry at 4pm would be able to do so. Not sure whether it would be daily. There are also direct flights from Penang, Medan and Jakarta. Our flight took an hour and 30 minutes. At the airport in Banda Aceh, there will be some people offering you to take your luggage on a trolley. You will probably think that it is silly but I suspect these guys help you across their strict customs. We used them by accident as I thought there were airport staff [img alt=:(]http://scubasg.com/Smileys/akyhne/sad.gif[/img] We made some earlier arrangement for our land transfer but there are loads of taxi drivers there but be careful with their pricing.

As we had to stay for the night to wait for our Ferry the next morning, we decided to stay in Hotel Medan in Banda Aceh. It is a convenient place with food stalls outside especially different satay stalls. There is also a very reasonable massage centre to the right of Medan Hotel by the name of Ocean Spa. They have a policy where only man masseurs for man and woman to woman. The great thing about this place is that you can get a full body massage, scrub, facial and shower for 2 hours for less than RM50. We had a great time being pampered there before we called it a night.

Air Asia Return Air Fare: Below RM500 per person which includes luggage and misc. ***
Airport Taxi to Medan Hotel (Town Area): RM25 per taxi (Seats 2 with our dive gear and luggage comfortably) **
Medan Hotel: About RM80 to RM100 (depending whether you want breakfast and size of room) ***
Massage: RM50 for 2 hours (Mandi Luluh) ****
Dinner at the stall and ordering assorted Satay (thanks Zaff for the advice B-) ), Bakso and Drinks: RM10 per person ***

For some photos of this trip and my report on the marine environment for Luminox, go to http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.297315796991429.67565.160820087307668&type=3&saved#!/media/set/?set=a.297315796991429.67565.160820087307668&type=1
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby run » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:49 am

great..do give more details cause i'm planning to go there
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#6  Postby zaff1984 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Knightdiver, you are welcome.. ahah... how about the underwater current while you there..? I found the current in certain dive sites are quite strong and I even have hold to the rock or hard coral while waiting other diver to descend, maybe I am still new;haha.. I dont know.

The visibility is really good. I have done 6 dives with Steffen Sea Sport, but I am little bit disappointed they didn't brought me to the some dive sites. Still, I do enjoy diving with them, and will coming back.

@run, please expect a lot of morays (various kind), lionfish, nudi, dogfaced pufferfish, octopus, bluespoted ray.. maybe electric ray. coral is very beautiful and pristine, very big fan coral. super big rocks like in tioman. strong current some dive sites. the island itself is interesting to explore.
Last edited by zaff1984 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby run » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:47 pm

zaff who knows i might get lucky to find any lost mola-mola to the dive area hahaha. Saw a video taken by rubiah tirta a few years back i think. Mola-mola @ 15m depth.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby Knightdivers » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi Zaff,

The visibility was average (about 15 meters) and current was ok on most sites except Shark Plateau. Wasnt super strong but we couldn't make it to the pinnacle. We were warned that some divers shared that the current at times would go so crazy that your air bubbles could go downwards with the washing machine current. I guess SSS wanted to play safe most of the time and that's why he only brought you all to the nearby places.

Run, Molas were indeed sighted before. Hope you see them on the surface as well B-)

Will be sharing on my 2nd day of diving shortly.
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby zaff1984 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:39 pm

run wrote:zaff who knows i might get lucky to find any lost mola-mola to the dive area hahaha. Saw a video taken by rubiah tirta a few years back i think. Mola-mola @ 15m depth.

@run: haha.. im also hoping the same when I went there... hoping for mola2 or whale shark.. but I wasn't lucky enough. overall great dive.

@knightdiver: play safe; I think so.. they brought me all dive sites near the DC.. Seulako, Rubiah East (2 times there), Rubiah West, Iboih Sea Garden, and Rubiah Seagarden

question: when doing safety stop; 3 minutes at 5 meter depth. Do we have to stay still at one place OR we can moving around see coral and fishes at 5 meter within that 3 minutes before going up...
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby run » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:31 am

zaff of coz ler swim around at 5 meter with the fishes on the corals. Unless there is nothing else to see.
looking at the fishes and coral are better than looking at your buddy doing safety stop hahahaha
If you want more than 3 minutes pun ok. Of coz u have to tell the DM other wise they will be tick off.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby Narco » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:40 am

Cannot!!! Safety stop has to be static! hahahahaha
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#12  Postby mamakpenang » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 am

run,
not necessarily, "looking at the fishes and coral are better than looking at your buddy doing safety stop"
if u choose a good buddy, you know what i mean hehe.... B-)

narco,
Safety stop has to be static!......(and at horizontal position??) haha...
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby Narco » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:31 am

Mamakpenang, i prefer vertical (with the head down). Can also bring drinks or kuaci/peanuts/keropok with chili sauce. Relax and enjoy the safety stop. For those much more advance, can also do their log book during safety stop. Then one can insert real time data.. hehe
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#14  Postby run » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:44 am

mamakpenang, i still prefer fish/coral rather than buddy no matter how sexy they are hahaha
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby Knightdivers » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Ha Ha! Interesting ideas you guys have there! I do try my best to maximize my safety stop by either taking shots of the boat, the sunburst, the crazy reaction of the divers and if I near the reef, I will actually continue my diving at that level ;)
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby Knightdivers » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Day 2 (26th Jan 2012)

We had an easy breakfast that was included with the room in Medan hotel before our driver picked us up at about 8am.

The journey to the jetty took less than 30 mins. We saw a mass burial grave of the tsunami victims on the way and the new tsunami barriers beside the sea. The driver was hinting to us to take a city tour when we return from the island where he show us more of the tsunami's aftermath.  I do question myself at times whether there would be other places of interest in Bandar Aceh if there was no tsunami.

We decided to try the VIP seats of the express ferry to Pulau Weh as the price difference between the economy, business and VIP wasn't big. Upon arrival at Balohan Port (actually it is their local way of pronouncing Pelabuhan) we were greeted by loads of cab drivers. Be careful over here as their quote varies. Don't pay more than 200k rupiah for a cab that can seat 4 person and your luggage.

You can enjoy the green and cool air most of the way if you wind down the windows. The roads are narrow but well tarred. You can also rent motorcycles for 100k rupiah a day.

We reached Steffan Sea Sports (SSS) which is located after Iboih village. Right beside SSS, you will see Pulau Weh dive resort which is owned by a Malaysian. This is suppose to be the one and only star rated resort on the island. They would insist on a minimum of 3 nights stay but as we planned to try a few places out during our 4 nights stay in Pulau Weh, we made a decision to stay at SSS for 2 nights and another 2 at Gapang Beach diving with Lumba Lumba.

Accomodation at SSS is really basic with fan and attached bathroom. Pretty ok if you plan to spend most of the time diving and resting beside the lovely beach in the hammock. The beach is really quiet with only a handful of people. 

After our check out dive was at Rubiah Sea Garden, where different species of morays were spotted almost every 3 yards. Did not make a second dive that day but instead made the decision to dive at the beach in front of SSS as we were told there are seahorses hidden between the corals in less than a feet of water at the beach. It was indeed amazing as there were more than seahorses there. Pipehorses, morays, shrimps, squat lobster among others can be spotted while snorkelling on the beach. It was my first time taking shots of of seahorses while snorkelling. A stranger came by with her waterproof compact camera and took a shot of the seahorses while squatting down!

Just like most asian divers that I know, food is equally important to spice up the dive trip. Unfortunately, SSS do not have a restaurant but you are always welcome to cook in the kitchen. We went to the one and only restaurant and feasted for dinner. Loved the Curry Chicken and rice and a Teh Botol and Jeruk to quench our thirst.

I would normally post my trip report during the evening but the signal was really bad and we ended up calling it a day early after our dinner.

Medan Hotel to Jerry (or anywhere in town to jerry: 40-50k rupiah in a taxi for 2 person **
Express Ferry VIP: 85k per person ****
Express Ferry Business Class: 75k per person
Express Ferry Economy: 60k per person
Balohan Port to Gapang or Iboih: 150k per car for 4 person **
2 nights accommodation with 4 dives and all land transfer in Pulau Weh, airport-Hotel Medan-jetty-airport with SSS: RM499 per person ***
Simple lunch or Dinner on Pulau Weh: 30k per person

Today photos are found at Luminox, my sponsor's page. Do help me to 'Like' them as they are very serious into marine conservation projects and awareness:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.298731630183179.67825.160820087307668&type=3&saved
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby zaff1984 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Narco wrote:Mamakpenang, i prefer vertical (with the head down). Can also bring drinks or kuaci/peanuts/keropok with chili sauce. Relax and enjoy the safety stop. For those much more advance, can also do their log book during safety stop. Then one can insert real time data.. hehe

dont laugh la  :crybaby2: .. 12 dives only... i ask because when I was in p.weh.. when doing safety stop, I was like static @ 5 meter with my guide and just looking down at senior divers that still have a lot air. 3minutes feel so long...

Narco, I must admit that head down and kuaci really funny. :D
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby Narco » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Zaff bro, we are just kidding around. Jangan ambil hati (no hard feeling). No harm on whether to stay put static or to move around. I personally like to stay static and quietly do a self check just to make sure everything I brought in is intact with me especially during deco stop in deep blue. Just in case if I left something behind. Some like to wander around and this also I would do during shallow dive. Just for the sake of passing time, some would also do crazy stuff (ie. taking off their fins, BCD and whatever).. Haha.. Do whatever u want but make sure u do a safety stop!
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#19  Postby zaff1984 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Narco wrote:Zaff bro, we are just kidding around. Jangan ambil hati (no hard feeling). No harm on whether to stay put static or to move around. I personally like to stay static and quietly do a self check just to make sure everything I brought in is intact with me especially during deco stop in deep blue. Just in case if I left something behind. Some like to wander around and this also I would do during shallow dive. Just for the sake of passing time, some would also do crazy stuff (ie. taking off their fins, BCD and whatever).. Haha.. Do whatever u want but make sure u do a safety stop!

no2.. tak ambil hati.. seriously i was laughing  over here reading your and others comment...  :D
Last edited by zaff1984 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby run » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:24 pm

thanx knightdivers for the info. Now i can estimate my trip.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby Narco » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:31 pm

Yeah, am estimating mine as well. Job well done brother knightdivers!! I'm hoping to see more pics. I'm sure u have more. Come on, post em up.. Hehe
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#22  Postby zaff1984 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:05 pm

When I was at P.Weh, we hired SSS staffs to took us round the island around 5 hours around RM17 only during our free day... using motorbike.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby Knightdivers » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:41 pm

@Zaff, u will make a good model for photography during safety stop ;) . Just joking. Better to be safe than sorry!

@Narco, will do my best to share more pics bro.

@Run, allocate about RM1600 for a 5 days trip in Pulau Weh and it should include your air ticket.

@Zaff, we wanted to try the bikes as well. A great way to enjoy the great green outdoor of Weh
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby run » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:50 pm

knight divers, im there for 6days. I didnt know about the no dive friday. Oh well might as well njoying the view at weh then. I bought the 0 airasia flight ticket.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#25  Postby Malxn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Just came back from Weh for 2 days dive. Dive with Rubiah Tirta. Stay 4 nights with Freddies Santai SumurTiga. Yes no dive on Friday morning.
Diving was good and viz around 10m-15m. Amazing beach in Iboih as well as SumurTiga. Mee Sabang (Mee Jala) and Satay Gurita was awesome....!! Will be back for sure...
Malxn
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#26  Postby Steven » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Knightdivers wrote:
@Run, allocate about RM1600 for a 5 days trip in Pulau Weh and it should include your air ticket.

Hi Knightdivers

Only RM1.6 for 5 days and include air ticket? Like that I oso want to go la. That's a good deal. If you don't mind some questions.

1. How many dives in that 5 days?
2. The places you stay. Are they fuzzy that you have to dive for the days you stay there? Or you could just opt to not dive on some days to take a rest?
3. Any email or phone no that you can give?

Thanks
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#27  Postby run » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:03 am

Steven,

With Pak Tua @ Steffan Sea Sport Weh i received quote got RM699 for 5days 4 nights. You can check out at facebook or http://www.steffen-sea-sports.com/
3boat dives perday (most are deep)
No dive on Friday.
Price include dives, accomodation, land transport airport-jetty-weh transport.
price exclude ferry ticket from banda aceh to weh and meals.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#28  Postby Steven » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:20 pm

run, thanks for the info
looks like food is on your own
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#29  Postby Knightdivers » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:31 pm

run wrote:knight divers, im there for 6days. I didnt know about the no dive friday. Oh well might as well njoying the view at weh then. I bought the 0 airasia flight ticket.

Cool Bro! One of the reason we choose P.Weh was also bcos of the affordable air ticket. Really shiok if it's 0 fare. :D

Indeed tak boleh dive every Thursday lepas gelap hingga Friday noon :$
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby Knightdivers » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Steven wrote:run, thanks for the info
looks like food is on your own

Hi Steven,

As explained by Run, you can indeed go to P. Weh at a very affordable price. Notice that I have been including the cost of almost everything at the bottom of my trip report. With the new AirAsia hours, the costing should roughly be as follows:

RM300 Air Fare Return (buy early & perhaps 0 fare if you are lucky)
RM699 for 6 Dives, Accommodation for 4 nights at SSS, transfer from Airport-Jetty-Labohan Jetty-SSS-Labohan Jetty-Airport
RM60 return (this is already on a VIP seat) for Ferry from Aceh to P. Weh and return
RM160 for 2 extra boat dives
RM200 for 5 days food
Total only about RM1400+.

Run also gave you the website link already. Note that if you are staying at SSS, prepare to rough it out with the mosquitoes ;)
Knightdivers
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Next

Return to International Destinations