MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Diving @Bali this march

Diving @Bali this march

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Diving @Bali this march

Post Number:#1  Postby pilotHans » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:43 pm

would be my 1st time ever to Bali, also 1st ever diver in Bali and boy am i excited..... :icon_rr: still planning my itinerary ...i wonder what to expect there....and what kinda preparations that I have to do......note its just my 1st dive after my open water sometime last year.........I didn't dive at Koh Samui as i planned.....(if some had head my thread) ...my concern is the current coz i've never dived in a strong current yet, it give me the creeps to think about it......other than then i thin once im in the water im fine....

MY BALI DIVE TRIP
Day 1: 8 March 2012
16:00 KUL Depart
19:00 Arrive DPS Ngurah Rai Airport
20:00 Hotel Transfer & Dinner in Sanur
21:00 Rest

Day 2: 9 March 2012
0630 Dive Centre & Paperwork
0700 Transfer to Tulamben
0930 Dive 1
1100 Dive 2
1200 Lunch
1300 Dive 3
1430 Pack & Transfer to Sanur

Day 3: 10 March 2012
0630 Dive Centre
0700 Transfer to Padang Bai
0930 Dive 1
1100 Dive 2
1200 Lunch
1300 Dive 3
1430 Transfer to Sanur

Day 4: 11 March 2012
0630 Dive Centre
0700 Transfer to Nusa Penida
0930 Dive 1
1100 Dive 2
1200 Lunch
1300 Dive 3
1430 Back to Sanur

Day 5: 12 March 2012
No Plans yet. No Fly for my other diver friends since they are flying out the next day
-im guessing we'll hangout or tour somewhere.

Day 6 13 March 2012
No Plans yet

Day 7 14 March 2012
No Plans yet
No Fly

Day 8: 15 March 2012
    Depart DPS-KUL

p/s will be joining a trip organized by suhaimi SSI instructor here....thanks to him  :P + will definitely update my travel logbook after my trip + share some photos here...
Last edited by pilotHans on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
what we do in life echoes in eternity
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: Diving @Bali this march

Post Number:#2  Postby zaff1984 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Bali really nice island. you can see different environment, culture and arts in Bali. Been to Bali once before got my dive cert... Take your time to visit some places after finish your dive... Must go Uluwatu for Kechak Dance and sunset, Kintamani, Kuta Town - Hard Rock, Ubud for spa, Jimbaran sunset dinner, tanah lot and many be you can try white water rafting there which is cheaper than here...

its little bit hard to find Halal food there... because majority of the locals are Bali Hindu.

I cant comment on dive experience.. but very jealous of you will be seeing mola-mola. haha.. have fun.
Last edited by zaff1984 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby pilotHans » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:04 pm

thanks zaff1984 (ur really 51 not 28? sometimes i wonder  :laughing11: ) ,

thanks for all the interesting places u listed down..surely will find time for these...but i wonder in Bali itself is it feasible to rent a bike? instead of taking a taxi which i reckon would be expensive  ;)
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby zaff1984 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:34 am

pilotHans wrote:thanks zaff1984 (ur really 51 not 28? sometimes i wonder  :laughing11: ) ,

thanks for all the interesting places u listed down..surely will find time for these...but i wonder in Bali itself is it feasible to rent a bike? instead of taking a taxi which i reckon would be expensive  ;)

Lol.. Why you said i am 51..?

Got 1 place called lovina beach (very far from kuta), where you can see dolphin in early morning.. But i donno if we can scuba near the dolphin. I always wanted to swim with dolphin. Hehe.

Yes you can rent a bike or car. Better use GPS or you can rent GPS there. The road most of the time quite narrow.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby projekts » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:12 am

Tulamben is a nice place to dive. My friends went there to dive immediately after their OW, and all of them did well. But we were staying at one of the resorts there and dived there for 5 days straight. Try diving in Amed too. No current + no crowd. Lots of macro to spot if you have a good guide.
Nusa Penida is actually a lovely place to dive at, even for newly certified divers. However, try to avoid places like manta point and crystal bay at this time of the year because the mola molas and mantas are rarely around and they are spotted at places like toya pakeh and blue corner too. And these are sites with unpredicted currents and frequent down and washing machine currents. Some sites are lovely even for beginner as long you stick to your guide and don't panic and just enjoy the drift. For beginner or divers without much experience, I would suggest going to Mangrove, Sental, PED, SD. And watch out for the triggerfishs there... the titan triggerfishs are much bigger than what you see in Malaysia water and I was attacked a few times by them. Had one huge one chasing my friend and me down for a good 3-5mins and we were fighting it with our fins
Just remember, dive safe and within your own limit, and listen to your dive guide's briefing.
projekts
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 13

Post Number:#6  Postby pufferfish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:42 pm

pilotHans wrote:thanks zaff1984 (ur really 51 not 28? sometimes i wonder  :laughing11: ) ,

Bikes are a good and affordable idea. I don't remember the exact cost but it's something negligible. I found it a cheap and fun way to get to see a lot of the seminyak and kuta area.

Non diving things to do in Bali:
Spa - Lots of people like Jari Menari but there are many to choose from.
Cycling tour around the padi fields and villages of ubud: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g297701-d1546017-Reviews-Jegeg_Bali_Cycling_Tours-Ubud_Bali.html
Learn to surf in Kuta: Do get an instructor, there are plenty along the beach and you can haggle with them. Getting an instructor almost ensures you will be standing on you board that same session.
Visit some awesome bars: Kudeta and Huu Bar are my favorite but I am sure there are many more.
pufferfish
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby pilotHans » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:16 pm

wow, thanks for the suggestions guys....learn surfing ? wow..that really sounds awesome....also available on kuta beach or do i need to head north where the sea is a bit rough  :)

i've also started a similar thread at lonelyplanet -> http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?newPost=true&threadID=2158432
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby run » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Day 5: 12 March 2012
Do the surfing from morning till afternoon or go for white river rafting.Then near to 3pm rush to Tanah lot and njoy the sunset .At least you have a few days to dry your wetsuit/rashguard

Day 6 13 March 2012
Go to Ubud- Kintamani- on the way back try kopi luwak if u dare
this need a whole day trip better take the tour cause your bum will be very sore if u use the motorcycle.
These places just for scenary and paintings. Nothing adventure about the place.

Day 7 14 March 2012
Do some bali massage, shopping at factory outlet billabong/ripcurl/watever. They have better deisgn than in malaysia. njoy sunset view Uluwatu and kecak2 dance and have dinner at jimbaran. A good meal to end
your days at bali.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#9  Postby pufferfish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:17 pm

pilotHans wrote:wow, thanks for the suggestions guys....learn surfing ? wow..that really sounds awesome....also available on kuta beach or do i need to head north where the sea is a bit rough  :)

i've also started a similar thread at lonelyplanet -> http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?newPost=true&threadID=2158432

Yeah Kuta is a good place to do it as there's lots of beach boys so you have options. The waves are big and strong enough. I took an instructor from a beach slightly further away from Kuta and it cost me more.
pufferfish
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby pilotHans » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks run and pufferfish for the suggestions  ;)

speaking of  billabong/ripcurl, really need some new good shorts  :P
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby pilotHans » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:16 pm

im thinking of doing a dive refresher at the end of this week. 3 or 4 march 2012..s.alam pool? just go there?

please advice.
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby run » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:42 pm

better not. u have to call to make appointment. That guy is always bz.
can i suggest another place?

It is in TUDM sg besi. There is a DC owner is mr Hamid ([email]017@9830850[/email])
please call him to know the location cause i am really suck with maps.

Another is in PJ run by seamonkey near A&W and Shah Village hotel PJ. Refresher course cost RM150.
http://www.seamonkeydiver.com/
Last edited by run on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby pilotHans » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:12 pm

run wrote:better not. u have to call to make appointment. That guy is always bz.
can i suggest another place?

It is in TUDM sg besi. There is a DC owner is mr Hamid ([email]017@9830850[/email])
please call him to know the location cause i am really suck with maps.

Another is in PJ run by seamonkey near A&W and Shah Village hotel PJ. Refresher course cost RM150.
http://www.seamonkeydiver.com/
already called hamid and arrange for Mon evening..thanks run... :)
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby pilotHans » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:13 pm

any sites that show the list of sea creatures to expect in Bali so i know what i will be expecting  :D
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby run » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:47 pm

Of coz , of cooooz

http://divezone.net/bali.htm

click anywhere you like  :)
it will show the name of the dive sites and what to expect.

MUW mod should make a stikcy for these informative site.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby Narco » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Forget it not to post a report. Not everybody are as fortunate as you having the opportunity to dive in Bali (sigh, i wish i have more money and free time to just dive).

But i know one thing for sure. Never let ur licence dry. Keep it wet even just by doing pool dive. Trust me, by doing so helps one to become a good diver. It helps in perfecting your trim, bouyancy, breathing and make u an awesome diver.
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Return to International Destinations