MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Diving @ Krabi

Diving @ Krabi

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Diving @ Krabi

Post Number:#1  Postby mmi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi guys,
I plan to go to Krabi this CNY (21 - 24 Jan 2012). I'll be staying in Ao Nang Area.

Anybody had been diving in Krabi area?

Thank you.
mmi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Diving @ Krabi

Post Number:#2  Postby mamakpenang » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:01 pm

hi mmi,
ive been to ao nang before, nice place, staying at KL House, nice place and cheap twin sharing somewhere around 500baht per room per day.
there are a few dive centre that can take u out for diving such as aqua vision, manta point, scuba addicts & scuba talent (psst...i never dive with any of them, i dive at phi-phi islands with visadiving.com dive centre in phi-phi islands)
u can choose to dive at ao nang local islands or go straight to phi-phi islands
price range from 2500baht to 3200bath for 2 dives & 3 dives at ao nang local islands
price range from 3400baht to 3900bath for 2 dives & 3 dives at phi-phi islands area
normally diving equipments, lunch & refreshment (fruits & drinks) included
enjoy your dive & your holiday..... B-)
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby ikan bilis » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:08 am

price range from 2500baht to 3200bath for 2 dives & 3 dives at ao nang local islands
price range from 3400baht to 3900bath for 2 dives & 3 dives at phi-phi islands area

asking: is it in total is 5 dive for 2500-3200 bath at ao nang and total 5 dive (3400-3900 bath) at phi-phi island....tq ur reply :)
ikan bilis
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby mmi » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:16 pm

mamakpenang wrote:hi mmi,
ive been to ao nang before, nice place, staying at KL House, nice place and cheap twin sharing somewhere around 500baht per room per day.
there are a few dive centre that can take u out for diving such as aqua vision, manta point, scuba addicts & scuba talent (psst...i never dive with any of them, i dive at phi-phi islands with visadiving.com dive centre in phi-phi islands)
u can choose to dive at ao nang local islands or go straight to phi-phi islands
normally diving equipments, lunch & refreshment (fruits & drinks) included
enjoy your dive & your holiday..... B-)

thanks, very useful info ...

i've booked hotels there, so shud b ok.

for diving, will search further on it.

thanks again  :)
mmi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby fatimberlake » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Greetings,

Good day to all,

I may have a solo trip up to Krabi alone  :glasses2:  and I would need few recommendation from you guys on :

1) Accomodation  - After few reading I've decided to stay at Ao Nang. I believe this area is near to beach, bar, girls (perhaps), and boats. Can anybody recommend budget hostel nearby? 500B and below at least.
2) Dive operator - I don't have any idea on these one. . It would be great if they are renting out their underwater camera and it is from Ao Nang
3) Sea kayak under the cave - are the best is at Ao Thalane? Or do you have a better idea with its cost.
4) Snorkelling - I heard that nearby Ao Nang is quiet ok right?
5) Could you name any other activities which is related to the sea and beach? Island hoping for 4/5 island?

Cheers.
fatimberlake
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby mmi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:56 pm

fatimberlake wrote:Greetings,

Good day to all,

I may have a solo trip up to Krabi alone  :glasses2:  and I would need few recommendation from you guys on :

1) Accomodation  - After few reading I've decided to stay at Ao Nang. I believe this area is near to beach, bar, girls (perhaps), and boats. Can anybody recommend budget hostel nearby? 500B and below at least.
2) Dive operator - I don't have any idea on these one. . It would be great if they are renting out their underwater camera and it is from Ao Nang
3) Sea kayak under the cave - are the best is at Ao Thalane? Or do you have a better idea with its cost.
4) Snorkelling - I heard that nearby Ao Nang is quiet ok right?
5) Could you name any other activities which is related to the sea and beach? Island hoping for 4/5 island?

Cheers.

Accomodation --> Luna House - if u rent a bike, easy to go anywhere.
                              Adam Bangalow --> google .... around 600B can get. walking distance to beach.
                            *the further away from beach, the cheaper its get.

DC - no experience yet
Sea kayaking - no experience yet
Snorkeling - Ao Nang Orchid ([size=78%]http://www.aonangorchid-resort.com/[/size] ) reasonable price, good service. can get discounts, need to nego a bit.

there are:
1. cycle tour
2. rock climbing
3. island hoping
4. elephant ride
5. waterfalls etc

happy searching

mmi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby fatimberlake » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:39 pm

terima kasih abg  :glasses9:
fatimberlake
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby joe » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:44 am

any update of the event?
by joetahir
joe
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby tunaturner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:43 pm

I'll be doing a phuket-krabi-phi phi trip too in a coupla weeks (can't wait! :icon_rr: ), thanks for the tips! Anyone knows any good dive site around phuket? Or will they take you to krabi/phi phi for that?
tunaturner
Diver
Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#10  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:17 pm

tinaturner,
never dive at phuket yet, one day i will dive at phuket.
if they bring u to phi phi island, u can dive at koh bida nok - wall diving, soft & hard coral & sandy bottom with a lot of stingray
u can also dive at malong at the tips of maya bay entrance at koh phi phi ley to see black tip shark, it is also wall diving....enjoy B-)
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby tunaturner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 pm

@mamakpenang, thanks! So far, from what little research I did, Phuket dive centers will take you to those places you mentioned. Guess it's cheaper from krabi/phi phi since everything is over-commercialized in Phuket..
tunaturner
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby run » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:52 am

Diving north andaman (phuket to similan) need at least 3-4 hours journey. So if you are diving for day trips , it will not be worth it. Assuming you get ready at the jetty around 7-8am, 3-4 hours journey by big ferry/boats then by 3pm
you should be on your way back already. You miss out the wonderful night dives in similan.
Even at depth 19m-20m it is look as if u are at 5m depth.
That is why Diving Phuket lots of them offers LOB. With LOB you get 4 dives perday
Similan the viz is like the waters of sabah. Clear and blue. Especially near the waters of Surin Island.

Richelieu rocks-Macro and soft coral heaven
Tachai pinnacle-predators at large, school of baracudas , giant trevally,
Elephant rock- rocks formation with swimtrus

as for down south diving the journey is not that far around 1~11/2 hour so you can get 3 dives perday but
without LOB style you lost the night dives.
Those red crab you always enjoy eating at the Fatty Crab , well you can see them a lot in the waters of thailand
during night dives.

Ok guys let me just do the math for ya
Day trip vs LOB

Day -> 3 dives perday ~ RM320 (THB3200)
LOB -> 4 dives perday ~ RM714 (RM2500/14) x 4dives perday

Day perdive -> RM320/3 =RM 106
LOB perdive -> RM714/4 =RM178
difference about RM72

Day Rental perday ->RM50 + RM320 = RM370
LOB -> no rental fee

Food onboard day dives = only lunch
Food onboard LOB dives = B/L/T/D

So for a price difference of RM72 per dives in LOB you get a place to sleep, night dives, free flow of food, learning
more knowledge about the dive sites from the boatmasters. No shortage of power supply.

The boats in thailand is quite big so dont worry yourself about place to pack of crowded people.
The only time one place willl be crowded will be the dining area during eating time. The rest, some of them at the
upper deck having a suntan, some at the TV lounge watching videos which they snap during their dives, and some
lay motionless snoring on the long bench while waiting for the next dive (that would be me).

Its look like i am promoting a lot for LOB :P what can i do , i love the sea so much even when i have seasick sometime , i still love doing LOB.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#13  Postby tunaturner » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks run! Agree that LOB is more economical and a lot more fun. Cant do night dive yet.. But nevermind, I'll definitely do LOB on my next trip.  ;)
tunaturner
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby fatimberlake » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi,

I guess its my time to tell you all about my last trip at Ao Nang :glasses9:

3 days dive with Scuba Addicts and Local Diving. I would prefer SA. Staff are friendly and responsible. My DM was really excited to see the seahorse. He was just like jumping & and make a noise when found it beneath the coral tree. Big boat dives and long tail boat dives.

Dive site Phi Phi Wall, Mushroom Rock, Mae Urai, Koh Yawasam, and Koh Si. Did the sea cave things and it was a bit scary. Sad things is it was not my luck to see the shark :crybaby2:

Other than that I really enjoying Bor Thor sea kayaking, Phi Phi & Chicken island hoping and elephant trekking. It was really awesome.

My stay at KL House its ok since all the trip has been booked by the hotel and the rates were abit cheaper since they're an tourist agent also.

Thats all and I wish to stay in Koh Lanta & Phi Phi on my next trip. :icon_rr:

As attached few photos just for MUWians
fatimberlake
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:41 am

fatimberlake, nice one bro.....
diving with big boat easier & relax a lot.... :D
suggestion, try Koh Lipe....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby run » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:19 pm

yahoo! that is the cave i'm going for. Thanx fatimberlake. cant wait for my south andaman adventure
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#17  Postby fatimberlake » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:35 pm

You guest me right bro, my next aim is Koh Lipe then enjoy the locals before going to Sipadan/Mabul :glasses9:

Eh can I get whale shark in Koh Lipe?

Yeah big boat was really cool. Have more to to seduce hot chicks.  :D
fatimberlake
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:24 pm

fatimberlake wrote:You guest me right bro, my next aim is Koh Lipe then enjoy the locals before going to Sipadan/Mabul :glasses9:

Eh can I get whale shark in Koh Lipe?

Yeah big boat was really cool. Have more to to seduce hot chicks.  :D

whale shark  in koh lipe, maybe if u are lucky, the more u dive the lucky u are, i havent seen one yet.....
some of the attractions are nice & beautiful soft coral like stonehedge and pakacem dive sites
and also deep dive at Yong Hua wreck 35-42meters depth & 8-miles rock max depth 45m hehe.....
same like krabi & phi phi, big boat if u dive with forra diving (antoine) or ocean pro divers (mark freeman)
enjoy......& sabai sabai
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby fatimberlake » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Dude thanks for the info. I may consider it after I managed to complete my project ;)

Will contact you again if I'm about to go there
fatimberlake
Diver
Diver

Return to International Destinations