MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Moal Boal -Philippines

Moal Boal -Philippines

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Moal Boal -Philippines

Post Number:#1  Postby decimal86 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:22 pm

folks

any recomm of dive centres over at MoalBoal?  thinking of going 22/11 to 27/11 2011? 2 divers...thks for yr response.
Last edited by decimal86 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 25

Re: Moal Boal -Philippines

Post Number:#2  Postby trigger fish » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:19 pm

Neptune dive center run by a Swedish
or Savada dive center run by a German  ;)
I use Neptune in October 2011

Dive safe
Last edited by trigger fish on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trigger fish
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby decimal86 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:28 pm

trigger fish wrote:Neptune dive center run by a Swedish
or Savada dive center run by a German  ;)
I use Neptune in October 2011

Dive safe

i have booked with one of them. thks bro' for the recomm..
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Re: Moal Boal -Philippines 22nd Nov thru 26th Nov 2011

Post Number:#4  Postby decimal86 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Savedra Dive Centre, Moal Boal, Philippines 22nd thru 26th Nov 2011

My journey started at Cebu International, flt arrived on schedule. Change yr money here at the Arr, the town does not have money exchange! The driver was there waiting for us. It's a 2 and a half hour ride to Moal Boal. Chance to buy water along the way. If for any reason you did not eat on board, may I recommend this chain of restaurant--Mang Inansal--they do BBQ chicken really well. And cheap too. It's located in ParkMall a shopping center along the way.

According to our DM-Jaime-the name Moal Boal came from mispronunciation of the word hotsprings in Tagalog by the Japanese when they came in droves to dive. Indeed there were about 6 of them when we were there.

By far the busiest of the 3 along Panagsama Beach. Savedra DC used 2 bangkas each day, a total of 14 divers 3 times daily. They go out at 0730, 1030, 1430 and if there are 2 or more divers, night dives are at 1730 hrs. All dives are chargeable.

Very spacious dive center, space to hang wet outside and not-so-wet things inside. A really big dunking pool for cameras. Generous shower areas. Toilets. Free coffee/tea. Ooh when you boil water in the room, it leaves a layer of scum on top! I notice that too if you boil Evian. Very impressive service center for tanks, BCD, regulators and other dive equipment. Yes they have Nitrox. But I did not notice any facility for charging your cameras nor phones...hmm of all the places that I have been to, MB has the highest number of HotSpots and the strongest signal ever bar none ( get it ? ) you will not need to buy a data roaming card.

Passing showers brought daytime temperatures down to a bearable twenties and the nights were breezy and cool. Water temp was a constant 29 or so Suunto says.

We stayed at the Marina Village which was just behind the dive center. Convenient. Not exactly The Hilton but it will do. Air- Condition with solar heated water...it needs a bit of clarification here! It is not solar panel. It is a storage tank standing out in the open. If the sun is shining and it's the mid morning to early evening, you might get warm water! Other times, it kampung style babe! Sejuk...sial.

You have a lot of options for accom. Right by the waters edge is a row of bungalows. And then there is a block of apartments further up the road. You have to be aware that the taxi can go no further than Savedra, after that it's you and the porter with  your bags to the accommodations. It would be good to ask if the taxi can drop you at the dive center? It's 60 bucks US each way to the airport at time of this post.

Food? Always an important feature on my dive holidays....

Allocate about 800 pesos per couple for each meal. That includes one beer and one fruit juice. The small stalls selling fresh fish and squid are a real delight to the taste buds and the pocket. We were hesitant at first but the fish was fresh and so was the salad. However this Seafood BBQ is only avail for dinner. Bfast is normally provided by the hotel. I have never tried oatmeal with banana/mango/watermelon before and it tasted divine! Maybe with a squirt of honey ? Makes me feel like I want to jump in without the tanks!

You can have your meals by Marina Cucina Italiana or Chili and have salt spray in your face if you wanted. Such was the wind at night! Chili is less of a shock to the pocket!

I did a post on Puerto Galera and I said that it was a guy's dream for a diving holiday. Guess what? This is such a place! And all the guys say......

It would seem to me that the moment the singles unloaded their dive gear they invariably find a female companion. Needless to say, men were happy regardless of the dive sites....

Ok now for the meat of this post.

All our dives were wall dives. Even our solitary night dive was a wall dive. We went to Pescador Island 3 times. Although the sardines run/tornado were a wonder and a treat to the senses, I cannot see the point of going there again. One or two average sized turtles nest in the holes. one of the trips the sea was so rough, it took 25 mins to recover 8 divers. Tunas could be seen chasing down sardines. The waters were crystal clear on 90% of our dives. I would say it was one of the highlights of this trip.

The bangka had a major fault. Or rather the ladder for boarding. The first step is too high up. I noticed even the young and agile had a hard time climbing on board. Most ladders have their first step at knee height when you have your BCD inflated? This was at chest height! They do not have a dunking pail for cameras! Just a basket for everything. No life vest! One oxygen bottle. No toilet.

The biggest disappointment? Very little Nudis....only the usual that we see in Tioman and Redang. Anilao had a bigger variety. Reason could be seasonal. Speaking of which we missed a Whaleshark by a week. It was frolicking around Talisay dive site. Ai yah! From their home grown albums there are a lot of Nudis around here. Well just my luck..

Dive sites? Sempaguita, Talisay, Pescador Island, Looc, Tongo ( scorpion fish central!) ,Kasai ( named after the resort it is situated), Balay and of course House Reef. Does anybody know how do they agree on this name? Let's say there are 4 resorts and they set up shop at the same time? Just curious....

High points? Took a lot of shots of Hawkfish and whip coral Blenneys.And one huge crinoid shrimp! It was the mother of all crinoid shrimps. Sawn- off shells for the hermit
crab. Spider crabs by the dozens...Pipefish by the dozens, banded pipefish, small lionfish a third of the size of the lion fish back home.

The hard and soft corals here are growing healthily and the fish population is thriving. Back scatter was never a problem. At Cathedral off west Pescador, the swim thru and the drop- in was spectacular!  Windows ( not iOS) were open to the cathedral and the drop-off ended some 40 M below. The strobe did not catch any back scatter, amazing!

No we did not go to Kawasan Falls. Nor did we go to Malapasqua.

In closing, I will recommend this to anyone who cherish wall dives and drift dives. If you have opened a can of sardines and wondered how they looked like in real life. ( hey bring bread and onions, you will have fresh sardines sandwich)

And yes if you are a bachelor and you love female company after your dives. Wait a minute, if you like paper dolls after your dives, they are all too eager to please.

Seems to me, they were waiting either at the 7 sins  Bar or at Neptune? Was the underwater Titan ever like that I wonder...my wife and I discovered that the best thing you can do when you visit MB, is to bring a huge bag of sweets for the kids...the smile and the gratitude was heartwarming. And they greet each morning with a hearthy ' hello!'

All in for my wife and I, 11 dives, transport to and from the airport, B fast and accom came to US$ 810.
Last edited by decimal86 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby decimal86 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:53 pm

http://s991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/decimal86/Moal%20Boal%20221111/

shots of Moal Boal, sadly not many Nudis like Anilao. no eels. big frogfish. plenty of pipefish. if u bring bread, got fresh sardines at Pescador Island. very good vis.
Last edited by decimal86 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Return to International Destinations