MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Diving in Koh Samui

Diving in Koh Samui

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Diving in Koh Samui

Post Number:#1  Postby pilotHans » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:02 am

Hi,

Intro - just got my open water license sometime mid June..So, I'm going to Koh Samui for just 4d3nights sometime end of July (tickets n all are still being arranged with FireFly ) I actually won those ticket from Firefly on a contest.let's just hope the the taxes are not high .... (im extending 1 night there so from 3d2n to 4d3n). will write on this on my blog someday...

Plan - to just do 2-3 dives since I'm there n god knows when I will ever go there again.... + but i don't want to spoil my newly wed wife mood with diving all day long + the whole time...hence choosing 1day only to dive.... + 2nd honeymoon so our itinerary is still yet to be done

Budget - not much money to spend, (since spend a lot during my wedding early June  [-( ) so i guest its a bit tight...
so here goes
1 extra night : THB.2880
food : 2000 THB Bath around 2000 i guess.
dive : 4000 THB
MISS 2000 THB
Hope to spend below rm1k /10,000 bath. :sweat: (excluding renewing my passport + wife's)....but i guess thats not going to happen...

So emailed so divers shops there, got a quotation from easyDivers, "Prices aren't defined yet, approximately 4000-5000 baht per trip (2 dives) for diver, 1500-2000 for snorkler..... at 1st i was woah, is it that expensive in Thailand? "

Q : please advice on what good dive sites /nearby koh samui not the Ko Tau or whatever island that i see up in the map..tips/things to do....hahaha.....Thanks in advance..mind my spelling, at office everything need to type fast n close..haha...
Last edited by pilotHans on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
what we do in life echoes in eternity
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: Diving in Koh Samui

Post Number:#2  Postby SuperAdmin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:29 am

Ask Quero, a long time member of MUW. She can help you. She is a dive instructor based in Thailand (Phuket?).
+ Certified Diving Junkie +
SuperAdmin
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby WaiLuvScuba? » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi pilotHans,

I went to Koh Samui for a 4d3n trip in Jan this year. I also went diving for 1 day only cos my gf is a non-diver (in fact, I need to arrange a half-day spa package for her). Honestly, diving in Thailand is always expensive. I managed to get a package for 2 dives (by speedboat to Koh Tao) at around 4200 baht (if I remember correctly  :icon_tongue: ). The speedboat trip from Samui to Koh Tao took almost 1 1/2 hour one way and it was quite torturing.

As for the dives, I went to Mango Bay and Twin peaks, both are located at the North of Koh Tao. My dive at Mango Bay sucked cos the vis was about 5-8m all the way, couldn't really see anything interesting. As for Twin peaks, it was much better. Twin peaks is located at the Koh Nang Yuan island and it is a super-cool island (a cluster of 3 tiny islands connected to each other by white sandy beach). You can actually relax and hang around there, if the tide allows.....

I was diving with The Dive Academy which is located in front of the Kandaburi Resort and Spa. Their staff are very friendly.

Anyway, Koh Samui is really a lovely island and there's a lot of other things to do besides diving. Hope you will have a wonderful trip and enjoy your dive!
WaiLuvScuba?
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby pilotHans » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks superadmin and Wai Wai for your reply...

1 1/2 hours for 1 way..... [-( xde mcm perhentian 10mins daa smpi diving site ka?  :P dive = 50mins.....so really need to choose a good dive site + budget my time....i guess a spa treatment for my wise would also do..hahaha...
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby WaiLuvScuba? » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:13 pm

Ya, the dive sites are really far....especially if you are staying on Koh Samui. Perhentian is still the BEST!! And I personally feel dive sites in our east coast are much better.

And the most fortunate thing is spa treatments on Koh Samui are relatively cheap. So, no worries...... ;)
WaiLuvScuba?
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby pilotHans » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Wai Wai wrote:Ya, the dive sites are really far....especially if you are staying on Koh Samui. Perhentian is still the BEST!! And I personally feel dive sites in our east coast are much better.

And the most fortunate thing is spa treatments on Koh Samui are relatively cheap. So, no worries...... ;)
Thanks for your feedback! Yeah, i didn't knew till I saw the marine life list...I think I saw most of them all in perhentian in my 3dives + bunch of snorkels! haha...didn't knew bout marine wildlife but im studying them now....we'll see, im still 50-50 bout diving there....coz it's our 2nd honeymoon n i don't want to leave my wife too long....huhu..thanks for the tips..will keep in mind..

cheers
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby Free Diver » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi,

No doubt about it, dive sites in Koh Samui is kind of a distance from the pier, depending which part of the island you live in. All my years visiting Koh Samui, i always put up in Lamai Beach, Love it alot there.

Cheers
Benny
I Pray 4 Great Visibility!!!!!!!!
Free Diver
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Return to International Destinations