MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Re: Puerto Galera 15th apr thru 18th apr 2011

Re: Puerto Galera 15th apr thru 18th apr 2011

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Puerto Galera 15th apr thru 18th apr 2011

Post Number:#1  Postby decimal86 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:28 am

MERMAID RESORT PUERTO GALERA 15TH APRIL 2011

The trip started at Batangas Harbour where ‘Bangkas’ or the boat with the outriggers take you to different destinations on Mindoro Island. The name PG means port of galleons. The harbour has a lot of touts, so watch your baggage if you are like us, travelling with 6 bags. They will help you for a fee, if you do not want to haggle over the fee, then do not let them take your bags. After all that, it is Sabang Beach that I have booked, it is situated in the province of PG. Different operators go to different destinations. U have to ask around which gate you will be departing from. There are no signboards and the PA system has a bad echo. The fare in Apr 2011 was P310 one way. We could not buy a return trip. Again, there are porters in the departure hall and you have to know what u are getting yourself into.

Oh If you did not book beforehand, its not too late, there a  couple of dive resorts with sales assistants in the departure hall. No its not what you think…this ferry terminal has air-cond and has a lot of drinks and food stands inside. U actually can get to sit down!! And you pay a cheaper fare for the ferry as compared to Redang or Tioman. Perhaps we could take a few lessons from the port authority here. And guess what? The ferries actually show up!! And not blame it on the tides…

Puerto Galera is a P20 ride away by jeepney there are no ATM’s in Sabang Beach. There are money changers…the jeepneys only operate till 6pm then you have to take the trishaws. Nothing much at PG, the beach needs a clean-up badly. I would venture to say that it’s a locals only scene. The trishaw ride was expensive. P100.

If I were to tell you that Sabang is a lot more happening, I would be lying…it is another planet entirely!! If you ever wished that after your dives, you could have Patpong or Phuket nite live (and if your wife allowed you to go…), then this is the place you have always wanted to dive! Plenty of girlie bars just down the road from where we stayed. They only come up to you if you do not have a female companion. Beer is cheap in the bar, and cheaper still if you buy from the shops.

Bought 2 T-shirts from a shop that does air-brush painting, gorgeous! Hand painted, P950 each, expensive no doubt, considering an ordinary T is only P105. But it is a work of art! We had anxious moments when our T-shirts did not turn up at the appointed hour, best to leave 2 days notice for pick-up. The sales assistant was very apologetic and we had no heart to scream at her so we waited, and waited .Funny thing, at Anilao? We could not find T-shirts celebrating diving…yo dudes in Anilao, where be the T shirts bro?

The wildlife below and street level is out of this world! First dive at Sabang Bay—yellow pygmy seahorse! Huge moray! Mantis. And on our night dive—my fav—stargazer! Frogfish and a baby frogfish. An ornate ghostpipe! The place—Sabang wreck-was like Lembeh, all lite up underwater. And at the surface? A floating bar with entertainment…what a life!! Heaven!! You can drink then fin back to the dive center.

Mermaid Resort is split into 2. The hotel-and it’s a very nice place up the road from the harbour-the dive center is at the shore, very well appointed and run, plenty of room for your camera, drying of stuff, showers, classroom, and a bar for coffee and tea even. You can stay above the dive center if you want but you will not be getting much sleep!! Its next door to the disco.The dive center is very well organized, a basket for everyone, towels and drinking water is provided at the center not on the boat cuz all their sites are within 5 mins of the DC. Jeff a pinoy is our DM, 9 years experience, very keen pair of eyes and no wasting time, if there are photographers around, he will bring us to catch something else else. Excellent!

Dive boat is not very big but is well laid out. You sit in front of your gear and on the count of three everybody goes into the blue.  Very strong currents, maybe cuz of the full moon. Visibility not as good as Anilao but enough for spotting critters. Saw a huge octopus on our second dive and schools of batfish, groupers, jacks and sweetlips, all huge in size. What do they feed on? We do not have these sizes back home? They prefer that you wear weights on your belts. We kept getting this feeling that the sea tastes saltier here than Manado or Lembeh. Is this true?

They also have newbie wreck sites, cargo hold easily accessible with snakes, huge lionfish, giant frogfish and schools of batfish. We did a total of 4 wreck dives in all, the deepest was at 24m. and all within 5 mins of the dive center. Weather has been excellent, a strong breeze blowing all the time and the temperature dropping to a cool 26 at night? However summer is a scorcher! Really nice resort feel to everything. Anilao or at least where I was, was very quiet and peaceful, this is a welcomed change.

A meal here at the roadside costs about P70? In a restaurant, about P300? A beer is P50 at the rest. In the shops, oh P35? Had a lovely BBQ at Blue Ribbon Divers only P250 each!! There was salad, rice and buns. It was one of my best meals in Sabang, hey what a minute, Salang (in Tioman?) and this place does have a lot in common. Pinoys do not crave for a cup of coffee? It is so hard to get a decent cup of fresh brew, then finally…Starbucks!! I thot I was seeing things. There are so many bars and restaurants providing WiFi here that I wish Spore would follow suit. And they are fast too. Post a number of replies and check-in’s on FB. In spore, I would be paying an arm and a leg and still uncovered by Wifi.

Bought a couple of mandarin oranges and they were sweet! Saw a woman selling something like durian but did not try. They also sell steamed peanuts that is really really bagus! Ok beware, they BBQ pork together with the other meats on the same grille. Same like Donsol..no chilli??  But their beer bottles are not rusty. Hey excuse me for this fetish, but I do not like rust coming off the bottles. I got to write to the governor of Donsol and complain about this. Anyways

There is a laundry shop along the main street. There are 2 hotels that  puzzles me, our Mermaid and the Tropicana across the street have a very European style to them. The Tropicana even had that basket that monks in Italy used to winch food up cuz they lived up a steep cliff ?  Feels out of place with the rest of the town.

Took a walk along the coast to see the rest of the resorts that I corresponded with, pictures are included. I can see some resorts embellishing facts and not really popular with the divers. Lots of Koreans here. And the Europeans come during august September, yes it is the rainy season but it is European summer after all. From end to end, it took 15 mins, and another 20 to walk to the southern end of the bay. Very quiet and not so happening. It is amazing the number of PADI ( pay and dive instantly, hahahaa) dive centers that they have here. And the number of ppl taking lessons, diving in the middle of their ferry boat lanes!! I guess its to drive home the issue of safety first?  Sabang wreck is just 200 meters from a pontoon with ppl diving off the roof in our safety stop zone! but hey, the bar is open.

Our boat almost hit 3 students…and that was before our night dive?  Oh its not red paint?? Oops
Saw this open concept refill station at Asia Divers that was really cool. They showcased their compressor and filters to everyone, I have seen kitchens but I really liked this a lot.

They also have the highest occupancy in town. Definitely not budget.

There are also some very very upmarket dive centers that sell hi-end scuba gear, not cheap, they are all imported, and after exchange rates, more expensive than back home, but BUT, they seem to be new stock and ppl seem to be using them on the boats. Good for the locals I guess. Only thing I could afford was a dive sticker..sob sob.

A couple of English owned pubs that showed BPL, although footie is the favourite sport here. So it must be for tourist consumption. One OZ bar. The rest are just girlie bars, dimly lit and full of surprises!! Oh I thot you were a girl…beware after a couple of shots and 4 beers you may wake up with creature from the deep.

So who would love it here? Ppl who love surprises in the morning? Hahaha! No-lah whatever rocks your boat brudder. I have never seen so many frogfishes before in one place, and I do love the way they cling on to the rocks in strong current…take a good look, they have claws! Those of you who love diving in strong currents? Easy wreck dives? Ppl who love nightlife after diving? On the question of money and value for money, we stayed in a hotel, as such only b’fast was provided, the rest of the meals we had to bear ourselves, so it was expensive, as compared to Anilao. But judging by the number of budget accommodations nearby, I suspect it would be close to Anilao. We paid for our entire stay and meals.

We were very happy that we did all 3 places-Donsol, Anilao and Sabang Beach (Puerto Galera) in one go. The ppl of the Philippines are hospital and very quick with a smile. It was value for money at all 3 places. We plan to do Cebu next! Pa alam!
Last edited by decimal86 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 25

Post Number:#2  Postby decimal86 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:31 am

stby for pictures...not of the street level wildlife though!!
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby yeekeong » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:45 am

nice dive report. any indication on dive package? rooms and dives?
yeekeong
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Ketam » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Always enjoyed your reports bro.... that's the Philippines for you. I guess things have not changed. The first hand reporting done is not only enjoyable but also very interesting.
Ketam
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby terjuntiruk » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Love your reports bro :). Excellent for future references on dive trip to those places.
terjuntiruk
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#6  Postby decimal86 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:08 pm

brudders, only bachelors need go PG, all the bini's will jooling their mata...hahaha..so many attractions by the side....

if you want a breakdown of my expenses, pm me?

but we really had an enjoyable time with an experienced DM, he knows i consume air very fast so no time-wasting, i appreciate that very much. hmm now come to think of it, PG is a place for ppl taking AOW, not many ppl armed with cameras. one thing i forgot to mention, their water temp can vary greatly overnight, one dive it was 26 and the next day, 29..?

i think most divers want some night-life and this is the best combo!! 
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby dp » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:27 am

Very well written, bro. Thoroughly enjoyable to read (and good tips on the post diving activities and "morning surprises").  ;)

If only this forum has "like" buttons.  :D :D :D
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby decimal86 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:01 am

my pleasure brudder, if i can be of service to fellow divers, then it makes for a sunshine day!

yeekeong wrote:nice dive report. any indication on dive package? rooms and dives?

u pm me for the dive package? so u are a bachelor diver eh?? hahahahaaa just joking, pls don't be angry.

folks, pls ar, i am not affiliated to any of these places that i write about, just putting my keyboard to work and offer some info to ppl who are going there.
Last edited by decimal86 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby johnng » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Well, nx time you should try out Atlantis, imho, they provide better facilities compared to Mermaid. If you'are looking for budget dive, try the Castle liked Resort just opposite Mermaid.

p/s : Im currently working at Philippines, and yeah, I do had a lot of contacts and friends over here that are into diving, if you guys need anything or info . feel free to PM me.
johnng
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby decimal86 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:49 pm

johnng wrote:Well, nx time you should try out Atlantis, imho, they provide better facilities compared to Mermaid. If you'are looking for budget dive, try the Castle liked Resort just opposite Mermaid.

p/s : Im currently working at Philippines, and yeah, I do had a lot of contacts and friends over here that are into diving, if you guys need anything or info . feel free to PM me.

are you in Sabang  Beach right now?
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby johnng » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:00 pm

err, nop ... I just got back from Anilao tho ...
johnng
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby decimal86 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:29 am

johnng wrote:err, nop ... I just got back from Anilao tho ...

i may be going back to Anilao on the 28th May 2011. left my wetsuit in Sabang...so i thot i would do a Anilao stay and do a one day trip to PG and collect my suit...
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby johnng » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:20 pm

lol, how could ya left anything behind? If u need my help, tell me. PG is bout 4hrs away from me .. including the boat trip. I'll be back to Malaysia around July.
johnng
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby decimal86 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:21 am

the boat boy packed for me, the ther guy's  wetsuit was inside out i did not check properly..i just counted the number of items and off i went...nvr mind i go back again end of May, i stay at Anilao and go to PG for a day trip. sigh...getting old, getting forgetful. what day is this ar? thks for the offer, i like Sunbeam at Anilao. just that i will be spending the whole day travelling to Sabang if i go there, i dont have that much time this time in May.

now i gotta send the other wet suit all the way to NYC...
Last edited by decimal86 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby vash_h » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:59 pm

any pics to share?
<--www.haroldchia.com-->
vash_h
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 5

Post Number:#16  Postby decimal86 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:24 am

coming up..soon, caught up with work, like they say, i need a vacation from my vacation.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby johnng » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:15 pm

U seems to be travelling a lot! LOL ... How I envy your life!
johnng
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby decimal86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:24 pm

johnng wrote:U seems to be travelling a lot! LOL ... How I envy your life!

my wife and i don't karaoke, my kids are all adults, we cancelled our New Straits Times subs, dont have Astro, dont play golf, so what ever money we have, we go diving....
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby decimal86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:03 pm

decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver