MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Re: Anilao 10th apr thru 15 th apr 2011

Re: Anilao 10th apr thru 15 th apr 2011

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Anilao 10th apr thru 15 th apr 2011

Post Number:#1  Postby decimal86 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:26 am

SUNBEAM MARINE RESORT,ANILAO APR 2011

The drive from Manila airport took about 2.5 hrs with a stop at a highway rest area for coffee and some snacks. The scenery was suburban until we hit Batangas City where traffic was heavy and commerce was in full swing. Plenty of jeepneys and motorized trs-shaws.

Then a winding road along the coast brought us to Sunbeam. It is situated in a bay where dozens of others ply the same trade. It is Japanese owned and Japanese patronized as you will see from the Jap magazines and books that line its walls. Our room had a splendid view of the sunset, and turquoise sea, crystal clear! The room is of a good size and air-cond, with a fridge and hot shower with fast flowing water. It can easily accommodate 3 adults. (Hmmm, I leave this to your imagination!)

We quickly unpacked and jumped into our gear for our first dive. McCoy our DM is a very experienced guide having worked here for untold years ( we did not ask so he did not tell) and was happy to show us around. Impressive! Arthur’s point, crinoid shrimp, anemone shrimp and spore’s furry embassador-orang utan crab.

We did 2 dives and were very happy to be shown nudis, shrimps, mantis and crinoid shrimps. The muck diving here is slightly less ermm…mucky? Mainit Muck or Secret bay is right in front of the Korean run resort (they have a hot spring bath) is a must-dive!! The villagers seem more environmentally aware and there is less litter on the ocean floor. The dive boat is a speed boat there were 5 of us in the boat and that seemed full. Getting into the blue was not a problem but getting into the boat in choppy waters was a BIG problem. They prefer the weights to be worn on a belt. Towels are available at the steps leading to the dive center. Drinking water is provided on the boat.

There is not enough space on the boat for a rinse pail for cameras, only one avail is at the dive center. Plenty of water to rinse the camera and fast flowing water for a quick shower. Plenty of hanging space as well—the air is less humid than back home so you will find that clothes dry faster here—the breeze is such a welcomed relief as compared to back home where it is so hot and still in the afternoons. The view at the dining hall would make any meal taste good except that the food here IS good! It is a Jap dive center remember? All the meals that we had would have worked in Japan! I am so glad that I booked this place. So far the meals that I have had in Philippines have been bad or disappointing, but here at Sunbeam I will settle for Japanese food anyday all day. Japanese tea is on the house and it is good quality stuff.

This is April and the water temp is 27 deg C, will get warmer with May. But for now it was very cold trying to rinse the wetsuit after a dive when you have just answered nature’s call whilst diving..know what I mean? No coffee or tea nor crumpets…oh I miss Lembeh/Manado so much.

One dive at Cathedral was awesome, was told that President Fidel Ramos placed a cross at 15m here so we came to have a look. There was a diver feeding fishes when we came, so all the usual suspects showed up.. it is between two huge boulders and corals are growing abundantly, fishes too. Saw the biggest scorpion fish ever. And the biggest flabellina you could wear this around your neck!!!This site is just outside Dive 7000, heard the owners ash’s was poured over this site. And so can you if you want…..zen you will be at one with the fishes! (corny right? But that’s me!)

On our nite dive since my wife said she would sit this one out, I gave the camera to the boatman and he did a very good job..  considering this was the first time he took a picture underwater, certainly better than me! Fred is the man who can! Also a stunt driver during one of of drives to Batangas harbour for the trip to Puerto Galera.

There is wireless here in the reading room although not very strong. And there also plans to renov the whole resort, but even without, I feel that it has a good feel for a dive resort. All around there are fancy resorts charging fancy prices..

They encourage everyone to deposit their valuables into their office safe to prevent any claims later on. We complied. Apparently they open the whole year round, yes, even when the typhoons are in season, cuz the Japs will not take No for an answer. And believe or nuts, they say the vis underwater is better when the typhoon is blowing!!
You have to buy a pass if you want to dive at the marine reserve—Twin Rocks—and you must dive there. Looks like Sipadan but with more fishes. Schools of jacks and yellow fin. Drift dive with walls festooned with corals, sponges and ferns. Drop-offs. And safety stop atop staghorns..sound familiar?

Our plans for a philippines dive trip is Donsol-Anilao-Puerto Galera so we are hopping on a Bangka from Batangas to PG on the 15th Apr. It’s a hour long trip through choppy waters. Also heard that there is a toilet on board these channel crossing vessels and get a load of this…they just pump it into all the dive sites as they sail by..aww isn’t that wonderful? After 5 dives then we are told. But from appearances, it would seem only practical to dump it overboard.

There are wake boards and wind-surfing avail here at Sunbeam. Banana boat rides? 

Our last dive at Anilao was at Bethlehem, nudis, scorpion, eels, harlequin, healthy corals and crystal clear waters continue to impress us. And lo and behold!!! I re-acquainted myself with a long lost sand creature-chap chaii—sea cockcroach!! I have not seen that in Penang in a long long time. Used to be found in what is now Holiday Inn, Batu Ferringhi, Penang. I remember munching on these delicacy on weekends. Really good memories. Unfortunately they only thrive in clean waters. There is a village here with the bare modern-day luxuries but with the smiles and laughter of the children, I suspect they ae leading a fuller life than you or myself in our ultra-modern uber cities.By the beach here in a small village just outside of  Anilao, epiphany in the grasp of our hands…. what a finale to our dive trip here, excuse me I feel a moistness in my eyes. Makes me feel small in the presence of so much natural beauty and perfect weather.

So how much did all this cost? US$ 1400/-(for 2 divers) incl transport to/from Manila airport and a side-trip Bangkas to Puerto Galera (P310 one way). 6D5N 16 dives, all Japanese meals dude!!! Diving highlights? Mainit Muck, Twin Rocks and the Cathedral. Speechless!! And my friends know I am not one to be speechless. But……..Lembeh is still king of critters and it is so suited for underwater-photography especially when you are a newbie, the last thing you want is currents whilst you are getting up close and personal with a pygmy seahorse. We paid for the entire stay.

Last edited by decimal86 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 25

Post Number:#2  Postby decimal86 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:27 am

all shot with my Oly XZ-1 with an Inon Z240

http://s991.photobucket.com/albums/af32 ... 010042011/
Last edited by decimal86 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby Giladivers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks for sharing the story and picture..!! :)
Giladivers
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#4  Postby Ketam » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:46 pm

Of the three... which was your fav bro?
Ketam
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby decimal86 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Ketam wrote:Of the three... which was your fav bro?

it has to be Donsol bro'....i look for my video to give you the exact feel of 'what i thot diving with whaleshark would be' and what i actually saw and felt....

i am humbled that i can be so close to such a giant that does nobody any harm and creates no environmental impact and it swims with such grace and did not even whack us with its tail, humbled man!! and to the ppl of Donsol for understanding that the whalesharks have a right to swim in their bay.

Lembeh has far more critter count, especially at night,but Secret Bay in Anilao comes in at a close second. eh sorry i have not post my Anilao pictures...
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby decimal86 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:55 am

decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby decimal86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:05 pm

updated with more pictures.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby ericliow » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:04 pm

it seems like you had a wonderfull days there......thanks for the report and pics......
Keep The SHARKS In The Ocean And Out Of The Soups
ericliow
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#9  Postby decimal86 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:51 pm

ericliow wrote:it seems like you had a wonderfull days there......thanks for the report and pics......

might be going again end of May...shiok
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Return to International Destinations