MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Safety in Aceh/Pulau Weh

Safety in Aceh/Pulau Weh

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Safety in Aceh/Pulau Weh

Post Number:#1  Postby piscophiliac » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi everyone, hope you can assist.

I'm going to Pulau Weh for a week but my parents giving me hassle because its unstable because of the civil war. Very embarassing lah!

Must get the old folks to relax sikit before I go. Has anyone any recent experience of how safe/unsafe it is travelling to and from the island? Also, is there handphone signal on Iboih/Gapang?
piscophiliac
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Safety in Aceh/Pulau Weh

Post Number:#2  Postby Quero » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:07 pm

It's safe. The insurgency problems in Aceh were resolved in the aftermath of the earthquake 5 years ago--it was in all the papers. So there's no need to worry!

And yes, there is cellular coverage at Iboih Beach.  

You must be planning to dive with Rubiah Tirta. Please say hello to my colleagues there!  
Last edited by Quero on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quero
SAWADIKAP
SAWADIKAP

Post Number:#3  Postby nglg212 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:10 pm

hi, I was there last Dec...overall quite safe. But not sure about the earth quake last week...
I was in Acheh town but nothing there..maybe just spend time on the wet market, mosque, fishing boat at the roof top etc the rest not really interesting. Quite pricey the food/ accommodation there but no choice if u wan to go there.
If u wan to go to Pulau Weh for diving, 3 places u can stay in the island. Sabang is the big/ main town in Pulau Weh, u can get a lot of stuff there.
When u take ferry from the Acheh (uleh-leh) to Balohan, make sure u sit at the back.
Gapang also not bad but just very basic shop, dive shop and restaurant.
Iboih also the same, but nice to stay there. I was there last Dec.
If you need any information, do let me know. PM or email me at nglg212@yahoo.com .
thank you.
nglg212
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#4  Postby piscophiliac » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:47 pm

Thank you both for the quick response! Hopefully the old folks will take it easy. Besides, they can now track me by mobile!

Quero,
I will be diving with Rubiah Tirta - and will send your hellos.

nglg212,
I hope to stay in Iboih the week after next, but have not booked a "bungalow". Any recomendations or places to avoid?

Also, more importantly....is beer readily available or is this frowned upon?
piscophiliac
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby Quero » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:30 pm

Well, Rubiah Tirta have a couple of bungalows for rent. Very basic, but at least no walking. Iboih Inn is nice, but you have to walk up and down a hill along a rather long path to get to the dive centre. Eric's Green House is kind of nearer, but in the direction of the village. Further away (a very long way) is Yulia's. Well, I guess it's actually best to just give you a weblink with a map. I stayed at a different part of the island at Sumur Tiga, which I liked a lot since it's close to Sabang town. Rubiah divers will pick you up at the fisheries port in the morning and take you back in the afternoon if you stay over that way.

Yes you can drink beer, but it might not be too easy to find outside of places that cater for foreigners. I was able to have beer at my guesthouse, but I didn't try to get any over at Iboih since I was always diving!
Last edited by Quero on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quero
SAWADIKAP
SAWADIKAP

Post Number:#6  Postby Quero » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:35 pm

Double post. Sorry.
Quero
SAWADIKAP
SAWADIKAP

Return to International Destinations