MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Re: SharkDiving at Fiji

Re: SharkDiving at Fiji

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

SharkDiving at Fiji

Post Number:#1  Postby diverdel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:53 am

Hi All!
Been awhile since I last posted. This time Id like to share some videos taken whle we were in Fiji. Apart from the popular dive sites at Bligh Waters, we also did the shark dives at Beqa Island, Southern Fiji. Very popular for their tiger and bull sharks apart from the usual reef sharks. The diff between these dives and the ones we've done so far was that these had feeders feeding those sharks. Yes, including the tiger and bulls..imagine that...Ive only posted 2 on youtube because of time constraint. The Bulls were so huge (3 metres) and I was shaking behind the human wall that we were asked to make just behind the feeder. Around and between us were DMs, all with a metal stick/bolt and many a time, they had to poke (without causing harm to the tough skins of course) the sharks as they came too close for comfort. They say that the tiger measures double the size of the bull...and when she shows up, all the others wont be around...

Anyway, enjoy!
Bullsharks (the tiger didnt show up and they believe that she may be pregnant somewhere across the world)
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uRP0BK54JO4

The reef shark feeding where nurse and other sharks behave as if they were puppies.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_JohFl29mFQ
Last edited by diverdel on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cogito Ergo Sum
diverdel
Diver
Diver

Topic author

SharkDiving at Fiji, more vids

Post Number:#2  Postby diverdel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Cogito Ergo Sum
diverdel
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby Nazir Amin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:03 pm

cool
Seekor anak kera bertanya ke ibunya, “Bu, knapa ya wajah kita begitu jelek?”
Jawab ibunya, “Bersyukurlah nak, sebab wajah kita gak sejelek orang yang baca tulisan ini…”
Nazir Amin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#4  Postby Scorpenesub » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:38 am

Is there a video link because i am not seeing it on my desktop...
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#5  Postby Ketam » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:58 am

Really cool!!!
Ketam
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby mocha » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:18 am

nice one kakak!!! hope u guys enjoyed ur trip there... planning for one soon?? manado?? hehehe
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#7  Postby diverdel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks Nazir, Ketam, Bro Ming2...if rajin, check out http://www.fiji-sharks.com, the dive operator is Beqa Adventure Divers aka BAD. They are one of 2 operators at Beqa Lagoon. You can view their vid of the huge tiger shark..takut wo...

Scorpenesub, yes there are many video links. You sure you cant view them? Not sure how to help. Ur PC ke?

Ming2, dont think we ll go there again la. Next stop maybe Vanuatu or Manado la...Feel free to ask me qs bout Fiji, if interested...to all others too...
Cogito Ergo Sum
diverdel
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:16 pm

Wah Adel...diving with Bull Sharks now...very brave. Btw send my regards to Nazim ;)
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#9  Postby Arquilecte » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:36 am

Hi Del,
The sharks are huge. Bravo! Bravo!
You can turn to see Great White Shark de...
Arquilecte
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby ApeQ » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:49 am

awesome!
ApeQ
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 5

Post Number:#11  Postby diverdel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:13 am

Hallo Holemaster, my Nitrox coursemate! Bullsharks..dey..i couldnt believe that I did it, myself...you also after Sipadan, sudah jadi international diver? haha ..Nazim says hi! Till our next dive together!

Arquilecte! Haro haro! So how many dives have u logged so far?Not inclusive of mermaid dives la..still dong it? Am dreaming of diving with the Great White in a cage at South Australia la...hmm dunno will happen or not...hehe

Thanks ApeQ, you know, the briefing before the dive was the most important thing.Funnily, unlike the usual briefing we have before other dives, you could see EVERYONE paying so much attention, asking very serious questions, eyes glued to everything pointed on the whiteboard, NOBODY was scratching or zipping or drinking or looking out into the blue sea etc. And when PAPA, the feeder (who also happens to be a reverend I heard!!) requested that we make a human wall behind the feeder and lay down on our knees and finally, tummies.., you know, you're in for a good thrill!
Cogito Ergo Sum
diverdel
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby Arquilecte » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:46 am

Del Del,
Nice to hear from you. I've log bout 350 dives. Seldom do mermaid show de. You and Nazim sure have lots of fun there. Hope to see you when u're back.
Arquilecte
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby Snafu » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:02 pm

WOW..Shark Feeding, hmmmmmmm dangerous and exciting!!!

Is it ok to feed the wild life?? ....  [-(

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#14  Postby diverdel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:26 am

Hello hello... wrote from chamber nampak...? Thanks for the exclamations.

Diff people say diff things about feeding the wild...just like those attacks at Gaza...oh well...let me just share what Papa said. Some of the bull sharks according to him have become fat and lazy to hunt...they prefer their thrice a week handfed meals..hahah  but I know that that doesnt mean that they are less dangerous as their primordial instincts are inbuilt...so...

In addition, according to them, because of coral bleaching bla bla, they had to attract tourists/divers to 'something' and make a living...so, they started 'training' the sharks for about 8 years...yes, it took them roughly 8 years to get those predators to come close, swim in turns and feed from their hands...they r crazy...but their idea worked...their trips require early bookings and are constantly full with enthusiasts...think some researchers should be sponsored to study these sharks specifically..I was told research is being done on the tiger sharks that frequent the island.

so it is really difficult to say whether sharkfeeding is okay or not okay...Have you heard of the sharkfeeding done from tourist boats in Bahamas etc... ?

happy Chambering!
Cogito Ergo Sum
diverdel
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby Snafu » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:06 am

diverdel wrote:so it is really difficult to say whether sharkfeeding is okay or not okay...Have you heard of the sharkfeeding done from tourist boats in Bahamas etc... ?

happy Chambering!

Yes kinda good to have internet connection in the Chamber  :laughing11:

I have heard few dive operators offer Shark feeding for divers that want to be up close n personal with the sharks... I think is quite cruel by taking out the hunting instinct from em n making em dependent for food.

In away also it protect the shark from being hunt down n kill for the fins, as operators are always on the look out for 'their' show sharks all the time.... money for the operators.

Oh well... as long as you guys have safe n great diving, is all GOOD!!!

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#16  Postby babyFin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:24 pm

nice.. good experience tho..  ;)
but i tot the bullshark just whack what so ever happen to be there?

:angel8: :angel8: :angel8:
[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#17  Postby diverdel » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi BabyFin,
I like your pic. Cool.. Bulls are not very choosey when it comes to food. They are reported to be very aggressive..Down here in Oz, esp during summer, many have been attacked by either the Great White or the bull. Recently a bull shark mauled a Navy diver at Sydney Harbour. He was swimming and not diving though. Hilang thigh or something. The ones at Beqa lagoon are so used to being fed I guess. They eat whatever's fed to them. Those trained to eat from the feeders' hands, the feeders dont really mind,. It's when new bulls join in on the feasting.. That's when the feeders have to be exra extra careful...Brave ones, them all.
Last edited by diverdel on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cogito Ergo Sum
diverdel
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Return to International Destinations