MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Update on Manado & Lembeh Trip 24th - 28th Oct 2008

Update on Manado & Lembeh Trip 24th - 28th Oct 2008

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Update on Manado & Lembeh Trip 24th - 28th Oct 2008

Post Number:#1  Postby SL » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:37 pm

Was back from Manado on 28th Oct for a 5D4N trip, 2nd time to Manado ....before I go, I really wish to see hairy frogfish and mimic octorpus in Lembeh or Manado....

On the 1st day during the check out dive, the DM show us a baby hairy frogfish...well, it was a baby hairy frogfish and I am not too happy about it as it didn't turn out as what I see from the magazine...the hair is just too short...in my heart, I really wish to see a adult and mature hairy frogfish in lembeh....

The rainning season come early this year in Manado.... during the 5 days trip, we hardly see sun shine in Manado and lembeh...but the weather didn't affect our trip....the wall dives in bunaken is still good with very good viz and we saw 2 big turtles there...We did a 4 dives in lembeh on the 26th Oct....there are countless devil fish, ambon scorpian fish, lion fish on the black sand base...we are just too busy looking around for surprises....we even saw madarine fish mating show during the evening sunset dive and a flambouyant cutterfish hunting for food....here are some of the highlights of the critter we saw....and thank god, all my wishes came true and I finally saw a adult white hairy frogfish and the Mimic octorpus in Lembeh...

Hairy Frogfish

Purple Rhinopias (I am so lucky that saw this cute purple Rhinopias during both my dive trip to Lembeh)

Mimic Octopus

Pink Devil Fish

Another surprise.... on the last diving day for the trip where we decided to dive in Bunaken east, we saw a big group of dolphines (more than 30) jump up and down from the sea, playing with us, chasing for our dive boat....again, I was lucky.... for the 2nd times in Manado and bunaken area, I saw dolphines....it seem to be common to meet dolphine in group normally the boat trip to bunaken....so, for Bunaken, the interesting pelagic might not be with the wall dives, but it is normally encounter during the boat trip to Bunaken marine park....

After 2 dives in Bunaken, on the boat trip back to Manado, the real surprise come....the boatman shouting and suspect there is a killer whale nearby the boat.... we saw a fin on the surface of the sea swimming around the boat....it seem not to be a killer whale but we mistaken it as a shark, as it seem swiming in a round motion as the fin turn left and right....while our boat came nearer...we finally saw....WOW, it was a baby Mola Mola....the water was clear and we can see the Mola about 3 ft big with blue silver abdomen body....he swiming around the boat and even jump up and make a turn to show us what he is....didn't manage to take picture, but the only diver with snorkel jump down to the sea and took a short video of the Mola....it was really a surpise to us...all of us on the boat was so happy as most of us went for the Bali Mola trip on Sept but didn't see Mola....Manado was never famous for Mola and yet we saw one here...it was really lucky and we told everybody in the resort while we were back to Manado....Nobody actually belieave us till we show the video....according to the DM and boatman, Mola encounter happened before but very rare and we were really lucky this time....

Unfortunately, the video size is about 30Mb where I doubt I can upload here to share with you...

I like this place, the resort and food was great, good massage and spa in the town and most important, I alway have luck in Manado....the critter will never disappointed you and the once a while pelagic encounter gave us great surprises...
SL
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Update on Manado & Lembeh Trip 24th - 28th Oct 2008

Post Number:#2  Postby DecLim » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:46 am

wow, very nice photo, share some more, i go get my drink and snack  :D :D
Dive ~ Eat ~ Dive ~ Eat ~ Dive ~ Sleep
Work Hard for Dive, Dive hard for Fun & Memory !!
DecLim
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby silentbubble » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:36 pm

nice pics . you ar so lucky with swimming dophins......where you stay .,stanley
silentbubble
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Arquilecte » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Wow, wat a great starter! Hope to see more. Lucky u...with dophin and mola-mola.
Arquilecte
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby SL » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:10 pm

We stayed in La Rascasse Resort....yes, we are so lucky this round...well, so far, both trip be there were very good, all of us very happy....a lot of critter and very good service by resort and dive operator....

More picture here...

Painted Frogfish

Shrimp on Feather Star

Mimic Octopus

Coconut Octopus
SL
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby fun diver » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:25 pm

Wow!! Nice and fantastic creatures!!! Hope will have a chance to dive there someday.. B-)
fun diver
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby SL » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:11 pm

Airasia now have direct flight to go Manado...3 time a week....you alway have a chance if you want...
SL
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby DecLim » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:24 pm

walao... super nice and sound very intersting dive site, looks like must feed my piggy bank more often to visit all the wish list  :D :D
Dive ~ Eat ~ Dive ~ Eat ~ Dive ~ Sleep
Work Hard for Dive, Dive hard for Fun & Memory !!
DecLim
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby fizah83 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:57 pm

wow, u r so lucky wif d mola-mola n dolphines. all d luck is if u during evry dive i c.

nwya, very nice pix. congrats on ur very great experience.
fizah83
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby Mabel & Yon » Tue May 12, 2009 10:33 am

Love the hairy frogfish! Wonderful experience with dolphins and mola-mola...

We're making a trip to Manado end June 09, and staying at La Rascasse too.
Any advice since you have been there twice already? How's the food? How's the service now that they are no longer with Minahasa?
Thanks!  ;)
Mabel & Yon
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby Ketam » Wed May 13, 2009 2:55 am

Nice shot!!!!! You lucky diver!!!!!

Here we are looking for frogfish..... people looking for hairy frogfish and find it some more hehehehehe

Great that you enjoyed the trip and Manado is definately in Ketam's wishlist.
Ketam
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby Bagman » Wed May 13, 2009 5:03 am

Awesome encounters there mate :D :D :D
Bagman
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Return to International Destinations