MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Yos Lembeh 05102013

Yos Lembeh 05102013

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Yos Lembeh 05102013

Post Number:#1  Postby decimal86 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 pm

it is so refreshing if the owner of the resort takes time off to greet you after a long road journey. may i add the owner of a chain of dive resorts all over indonesia. i mean what more can you ask ?? chit-chat, history of the place, what our interests were, our professions, breaking the ice.

pak yos of Yos Lembeh is as simple and as friendly as a successful architect turned entrepreneur can get. you would not know of his training until you step inside and gazed at his projects which he hangs with pride on the wall at the villa.

Yos lembeh is separated by a 15 minute walk or a short boat ride. we stayed at the villa which is luxurious as far as my experience goes in lembeh. a room with a twin bed overlooking the straits of lembeh with a constant cool sea breeze and warm sunshine. hmm come to think of it, i have never experienced cool breeze here in lembeh, always hot and humid. august being the coldest month.

plenty of drying area, a humongous bath and toilet. with a sunken bath. in the living room, plenty of power receptacles, a TV with Satellite TV channels, a long camera table and adjoined to your bedroom via the balcony.this overlooks the jetty made of bamboo with 2 boats moored alongside.

oh did i tell you that this is also Jahir I? yes folks, their house reef is world famous! indeed during the 5D4N we were there, boats from other resorts and a LOB--TAMBORA were diving outside our balcony. what fun! to see the LOB divers surface hundreds of meters away from their tenders--unfamiliar with the currents i suppose. and thats not all...our DM Jandri is the original DM who helped promote Jahir I to all divers. a fact that Pak Yos is proud to tell everyone.

all meals at the villa were a la carte. they would enquire the night before and were tasty. it must be added that at the other resorts that we stayed we were never served any other fish except tuna. here we were given garoupa and sea bass. vegies were crisp and had a sweetness all its own.

i was wary of mozzies but it did not happen. there were other insects flying around but no blood-sucking mozzies. the nights were quiet and we did not hear any compressors running. there is a water dispenser in the living room and hot water was available as well. coffee and tea was available around the clock.

ok now for the diving. the boats are the usual steer-from-the-rear and balance the boat whilst jumping off or coming back in. maximum probably 6 divers? the compressor was acting up and some tanks were holding about 180 bars and not 200 as per norm. and some tanks did not have O rings. but they did provide a rinse tank for cameras and cold fruit juice and fruits after the day dives. night dives were followed by teh halia--nice touch! towels were available after each dive. the journey to each dive site took no more than 10 mins, another trademark of lembeh diving. i fancy the waters were colder than normal although the dive comp showed 29 deg. Nitrox is avail at an extra cost.

Jandri our DM is very tactful and extremely patient. he has the eyesight of a microscope! he spotted 2 varieties of hairy shrimp that really impressed me. dive guides in lembeh are reknowned for their keen eyesight but he is way out there on another planet. baby lion fishes were soon ferreted out, so were new born nudis. we were at Retak Larry when he found a nursery of juvenile frogfishes, scorpion fishes, gurnards and others. it was hidden under debris that nobody would bother looking.

he also found pygmies on a branch that other dive guides seem to float past. and a blemish-free giant frogfish that really needed tuition in camouflage. critters are probably seasonal. missing were the nudis at nudis fall. but we saw a rhinopias at air perigi which is my favourite. one of the reasons why we ended up at lembeh.

other critters worth mentioning are false anemone nudis and toizuma shrimp.

i do find that colder water temperatures bring more varieties of critters. i checked with my haul of critters shot on my last trip here--March 2013 and i did not collect as many. we were hoping to go to kelapa dua to see lembeh sea dragons but were told they were not there anymore.

as i said before, YOS Lembeh is separated by a stretch of land. Eco resort is very compact. small but effective. a cut in the sea wall leads to your boarding station for the dive boats. the dining area is located immediately after you exit the boats. a seafront villa--very scenic! waves lapping at your cameras and booties, brilliant ! 3 smaller rooms to the left of the dining area. a lounge being built. 2 rinse tanks for cameras. a shower area. a place to hang your wet things. all these were, at time of writing devoid of tiles or paint, just cement. but the placement and size of all these features were practical and well advised.

the place is staffed with enthusiatic and friendly locals. ever ready to belt out keroncong and other local favourites once dinner is cleared away. Ritna the iron chef is particularly keen on entertaining the guests once her work is done as chef. we appreciate the effort involved in after dinner entertainment.

all too soon, our 12 dives in 5 days came to an end. and we had to say a reluctant farewell. all because we did not see our pontohi and our sea dragon. but i rejoice in the fact that we have found our 'home' here in lembeh as diving goes. there is no mistaking the giggles and laughter of the staff--it is a sign of contentment whilst working. and i do like that, a lot.

my collection of shots this time was more than my last visit to lembeh. but that could be due to the colder waters. we paid for our stay but it was really value for money. especially if you stay at the villa location.

in closing, it can best be described as a home stay/diving resort. the whole house caters only to you and another couple, the rooms were luxuriously appointed. the walk to the boat was a breeze. cameras and gear were collected outside the dining hall.
the rinse on the way to the villa was well thought of and the rinse tank for your camera is more than adequate for 4 DSLR. Wi Fi was fast and available at both locations. i am planning to visit their location in menjangan, bali before returning here for another taste of homestay diving.

pictures are here

http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/Kapit ... t=3&page=1
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 25

Re: Yos Lembeh 05102013

Post Number:#2  Postby Narco » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:41 am

Such a well done report decimal. Talking about putting emotions into report, this is a GREAT example! Cant wait to dive with you again Capt!
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#3  Postby decimal86 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 am

The ppl at Yos Lembeh is really really so entertaining

-- Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:46 pm --

next year i promise i will learn how to sing "Widuri" for the crew.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 25

Post Number:#4  Postby Narco » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:59 am

Jack, can start from now.. Hehe:

Bob Tutupoli
WIDURI

Di suatu senja di musim yang lalu
Ketika itu hujan rintik