MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Bali

Bali

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Bali

Post Number:#1  Postby geraldyne » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Hey,

Am planing a trip down to Bali next year for dive and leisure but not sure where to start and what to expect. Could anyone please share your experiences, tips and advise.
I greatly appreciate it.

thanks
geri
geraldyne
Diver
Diver

Topic author
Topics: 3

Re: Bali

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:37 pm

When divers think Bali = Mola-mola.
Best you plan your dive during mola-mola season July ~Sept.
During these months the water can get cold reaching 16C. Best to dive wearing hoodies+3mm full wetsuit.
Not to forget the Tulamben Wreck.

best place for water sport at NUsa Dua.
Why not you try pm natalieliasmana from http://www.turturdive.com/ for more detail.

as for leisure. Uluwatu must go, Kintamani uuuuummm it is just a dormant valcano but i prefer heading for the spring (forgot the place).Ubud is a nice place for taking pictures
Shopping spree over at legian.
My most helpful info last time when i visit bali http://www.balitourismboard.org/
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby jubilant » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:27 am

Yes bali is famous of Mola-mola, in nusa penida, but do not think of this the only thing that you can see in Bali. There are plenty dive site that suit everyone need. Candi Dasa area (gili tepekong, notorious Gili biaha) have shark cave, and current (from mild to strong) I've dive in thoose, well from tranquil state, to "dear life" it's all depend on the time and the season. while Padang Bai is the go to site for macro, where you can see Pgymy sea horses, Boxer crab, and the like. In the north is the famous Liberty wreck in Tulamben, it is the most accessible wreck, literally it lay in front of the hotel, dive center, Sunrise dive is favourite to see Bumphead gleaming by the morning sunshine. Tulamben also have a wall, with variety of fish and giant sea fan. East of Tulamben is Amed, where the dive site is more "natural" and it provide practice session before Candi Dasa & Nusa Penida. In the north west, is Menjangan, where you can have the island and the dive site almost to "your self". There are also Secret Bay in Gilimanuk (west Bali) where it provide muck dive. Word of cation, Don't think of Nusa Penida and Candi Dasa lightly, be sure you have the necessary skill and experience before you got there. Strong current and swell is often found in this area. Other than that, Bali will provide you enjoyable dive.
jubilant
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#4  Postby run » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:16 pm

i just back from Bali so the fresh info i can give you once you arrive at the Bali Airport don't go off and look for people dress in blue. This people are the taxi driver but their price a lot more expensive compare the price you get at the counter. You find the ticket counter and they will call the blue shirt people to take you to the hotel.
My frenz didn't went to the counter and they were charge IDR150k while i paid IDR75k for the transport airport- legian street.

By Next year I think the new Airport will be finished. Don't know where the taxi counter will be located.
Food wise i just went to warong. A food like in the picture together with Avocado juice = IDR25k=RM9.
When i went up to Lovina, bali was even cheaper RM4 together with Bottle Tea(common drink for Indonesian).

Diving in Menjangan island was sooooooo windy. Lucky i brought along my windbreaker cause the dive was using a very simple wooden boat with no toilet.
I manage to dive at Nusa Penida just wearing a simple rashguard with wetsuit 3mm and a hood. The temp was showing the lowest 22C. Other divers was showing 19C.
i guess the heat fm my body made my wrist DC to show above 20C. I prepared myself by always drinking ginger mix in the mineral bottle. Of course the side effect will be farting all the time
hehehe. Had this one lady diver with 3x3mm wetsuit on her. My goodness i have to salute her cause she still manage to move and maintain her buoyancy.

Dived with scubabalimasters.com. If you never had experience dived surge (as in swaying like you are sitting on a swing), choppy waters(the wave keep slamming on your face) and currents that need you to hold on to coral in order not to get swept away, then my advise please inform the dive master about your capabilities. Most of the dive guides for Nusa Penida know this one thing, only experience diver will be brave enough to go to Nusa Penida.
So if you don't tell them what your level experience is, they thought you already know what you are heading for.
I even puke cappuccino at the Manta point. Lucky i got the view of the Manta swimming around so that puke was not for nothing hehehe.
But sadly no Mola-mola (darn it!!!). Nevermind maybe next year.

If you want to stay in a place where there is peace and quiet , then stay around Sanur but mind you there are many dogs at the beach.
i love kuta instead cause got to relax the tension in my eyes with beautiful sightings at the Kuta beach

If you planning for sight seeing at Tanah Lot and Uluwatu you have to add another 2days in your trip. Both are so wonderful for sunset viewing and time lapse photography.
If you plan to buy t-shirt Bali (not the dive shirt) you have to buy at Tanah lot. lots of design, good quality of t-shirt and the cost worth it.
If you are staying in Kuta don't ever ever plan to go both of these places after 4pm. You wont make it to see the sunset. You have to move by 2pm. The road totally
jam pack.
IMG_0307 (Small).JPG
Kuta beach awesome sunset

IMG_0307 (Small).JPG
Kuta beach awesome sunset
Attachments
IMG_5120 (Small).JPG
Nasi Lalapan at the warong
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20