MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Diving Jakarta - One Day Trips

Diving Jakarta - One Day Trips

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Diving Jakarta - One Day Trips

Post Number:#1  Postby eric » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Recently started diving, and due to work commitments, have made some dives that can by done by day trip from Jakarta. By the way, Im a Malaysian residing and working in Jakarta.

Thought I would share some information on the available options. Note that I am not affiliated with any dive center so I will refrain from posting specific contact info, if anyone wants details can PM me

1) Sanghyang - about 3 hours drive to Paku Pier in Anyer and from there another 45 mins via speedboat. Went on a 2 dive trip there. Diving conditions relatively better than the 1000 islands, and about 17 dive sites around the islands. Conditions when I was there
Visibility - Not good. about 5m.
Conditions - Some current and very choppy surface due to some wind at the time
Underwater - Some decent coral life, and reasonable marine life at certain spots. Managed to spot some nudibranches, some turtles and a few large barracudas
Overall - Nothing spectacular and not comparable to some of the better diving in Indonesia, but a decent option for those living in Jakarta and needing a quick dive getaway. Also, good for beginners to improve their skills, and continue diving

2) Pramuka (1000 islands) - Due to high cost of the resorts there, and overall bad reviews, opted to go on a 3 dive day trip with a liveaboard. Much closer than Sanghyang as its only a short ride from Ancol. Better option for those who do not want to spend 6 hours in a car for 2 dives.
Visibility - 5-8m
Conditions - No or very little curent. Frequently used for OW dive training for Jakarta based divers
Underwater - Slightly worse than Sanghyang. Very little fishes and corals, possibly due to overfishing, and proximity to Jakarta.
Overall - Again, nothing spectacular. However, very crowded probably due to easy access from the city. Also, good for beginners or training.

There are several other day trip sites such as Krakatao volcano and Tunda Island, which I have not yet had the opportunity to visit. Will post some info after I have made the trip. Also, there are 2 wreck dives close by, USS Houston and HMAS Perth, which I have not visited as those are only for advanced divers due to strong current and deeper than recommended for OW divers.

UPDATE : Pramuka ODT

3) Recently decided to go on a one day 3 dive trip with a liveaboard to Pramuka.
Dive 1 - Area Perlindungan Laut (Pramuka)
- Visibility - 15m. Possibly because there was some current at the time. Water clearer than usual
- Conditions - Some current.
- Due to it being a protected area, much better than the other spots. Some some stingrays and one turtle.
Dive 2 - Smackdown (Semak Daun)
- Visibility - 15m, no current
- Various nudi, some turtles

Overall the 2nd experience diving there was much better than the first.
Last edited by eric on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
eric
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Diving Jakarta - One Day Trips

Post Number:#2  Postby Narco » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi Eric. Thanks for the sharing. Never knew one can dive over there. Any pics?
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#3  Postby thembo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:01 am

Hi Eric,

this is Martin..

btw this is eric the one dive  together with Planet diving in Shangiang on 4 August?
I AM Just YouR NightMare In your Sweetest DreamZ ....
Visit My Gallery in http://thembo.deviantart.com
thembo
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#4  Postby eric » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:58 am

thembo wrote:Hi Eric,

this is Martin..

btw this is eric the one dive  together with Planet diving in Shangiang on 4 August?

Hello martin...Yes its me!! Sorry I forgot about my post here..I just found you on FB, so keep in touch there ok? I'm planning to go Pramuka ODT after Lebaran holidays

Eric
eric
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby eric » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Narco wrote:Hi Eric. Thanks for the sharing. Never knew one can dive over there. Any pics?

Hi, yes there are quite a few dive sites within a days trip from Jakarta mostly in Sanghyand, Tunda, Krakatau and 1000 islands

I'm still new to diving and dont own a camera yet...so no pics that were taken by me yet..
eric
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby keenfreedom » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Eric,

Have you dive at Padang?
No dive no life!
keenfreedom
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby eric » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Hi,

Padang in West Sumatra? Nope. I'm still a new diver. Have only dived at some sites around Jakarta and Bali is the only other place I have dived so far. However, I'm diving in Malaysia (Perhentian) for the first time next month, and hopefully will get to dive in Lombok/ Gili in November.
eric
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Return to International Destinations