MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Pulau Weh seeking the truth (answer)

Pulau Weh seeking the truth (answer)

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Pulau Weh seeking the truth (answer)

Post Number:#1  Postby run » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 pm

I want to share some of the answer i got after come back from weh

This was taken from Narco post thread Pualu Weh seeking the truth
"Haha.. bro.. thanks. Well, the diving was good (for me, can be a bit dangerous for begginers - or maybe i'm just being extra careful)

They can be better if:

1. Put shades on all boat especially the wooded one. I'm not 'manja' type, but to be under hot sun all day long before/after doing 3 dives.. can be a bit quite a torture for some.

2. Put Aircond in some of the rooms: It's a fight between fresh air and  effort to keep the room insect free. Well, some might require no aircond and some don't even bother to have em. But there are also some who might need em.

3. Provide more pillows and thicker blanket.

4. Change the freshwater tank for equiments more frequently. This will help divers to clean up their equipment properly.. hehe"

the answer for no 1
the wind at pulau weh is very strong. If they add the shades , the boat can be blown away easily.
The good old little boat with no shade and wooden plank is the most stable boat for divers.

The answer for no 2
The electricity in Weh not that stable. They often faced with no electricity problem but during ramadhan month , the goverment will try their best
to get it stable.

the answer no 3
i guess it is more cheaper that way

the answer no 4
at steffan they wash my gears and there are a lot of pipes so no problem for washing with freshwater.

I did my dive with Steffan but i didn't manage to dive with pak tua himself though i spent most of my time 5days and 4 nights chit chat with him.
I really wanted to know how he teach his student. We talked about bouyancy, we talked about currents and we talked about sinus problem. Later on
he showed me the best dive site of tenggol. Lucky i paste a map of tenggol in my logbook the dive sites he showed me was not the usual
place where all the divers would go.
i pick the best timing to dive Weh. Most divers comment Weh has strong currents but lucky for me all 7 dives was ez breezy. pak tua told
me this is the time where they call "air mati". Meaning the sea is calm i guess?
The only strong current i encountered was the wind while having my breakfast and dinner at the steffan's front lawn. I came to weh with 2 other novice OW.
Amazingly the guesthouse was all ours for 2days and the rest of our days, we shared it with divers from KL and snorkellers from Ipoh.
we dived the arus palee, batee tokong, east & west seulako and Canyon with no strong current at all , no bumpy waves and bright sunny day.
we've walked 4km uphill and downhill (those who has been to pulau weh knows how the road condition looks like) from steffan to iboih just to have a bakso. Then
afterward we paid a visit to rubiah tirta divers since i accidently bumped with this guy ishfan(i think) while i was buying some goodies at the local store at ibioih.
He said Hi to me and ask me "are you a diver?". I asked him how he knew? he pointed at my hand. He recognized me because of my dive comp. He said
Mr Azmi from Azmi tioman dive center currently at the their DC. So why not. Just pay that Azmi a visit. When we arrived they greeted us and of course they laughed at us after knowing that we had walked 4km all the way to iboih. He even said lucky we didn't ecnounter wild boar along the way. On friday since there is a rule "no water activity at all until 2pm" so i made a plan not to have my diving that day instead i went around the island of weh. It was very enjoyable, fun and crazy.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 20

Re: Pulau Weh seeking the truth (answer)

Post Number:#2  Postby urchin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:45 pm

YAP,  WEH IS VERY NICE
urchin
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby run » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:03 pm

urchin weh is amazing and i want to go there again. Something about batee tokong, arus palee and around the Seulaku island really calling me to have a dive there again. I have to schedule my trip correctly so that i wont clashed with other divers at Steffan. Some divers may dislike to go to
the same place over and over again.
Pak tua is a straight forward man. When asked what are the things we will find down there, he wont answer what you want to hear. He will say " i dont know. i dont know what is down there" but after the dives. maybe like after a dinner while sitting lazily at the seats , he will ask "did u find this, did you find that?". I guess he has his own way of reading the character of the divers coming to his dive center. On the 1st day of the dives he didn't allow us to dive at the canyon. He told me the wind from the west is very strong and it is not possible to dive there but the next 2 days , he allow us to dive there. Yes it was true that the wind was very strong but after 2 days the sea was calm. No current at all. We go around the canyon easy.
For me steffan is away from the hustling sound of people and vehicles. i like it very much. Though finding food could be difficult. They have a restaurant next door but the food is very limited and they cook very very slow.
food tips if you are staying at Steffan sea sport. If you are planning to cook yourself meals. Once arrive at Balohan do stop at the sabang wet market and buy all your groceries, onions, fish,chicken, 3in1 drink, paper cup, paper plate, spoons. Yeap almost like you want to stay there for a long time hahaha. steffan only provide the fridge, frying pan, rice cooker and dapur for memasak. No knife, no kitchen utensils.
If you dont want to trouble yourself the agony of cooking your meals, then just have your order to any of the staff at steffan. For example if you want to have breakfast tomorrow morning, you have to make the order tonight with the staff. The next day the staff will go and buy you the breakfast at the local stalls.
The local food are pretty the same.  For breakfast Lontong, nasi lemak with fish and longbeans. For lunch mix rice but the main dish was less than 5 options and the vege was like either longbeans or jackfruit gravy(gulai nangka) or bakso. For dinner the same thing. You can imagine why some of the divers prefer to cook their meal.
The next door restaurant have something like fried rice, mie goreng, taco , fries too but you have to order at least 1 hour before you want to eat. Let say for lunch , you have to make your order before you go for morning dives. For dinner around 8pm , you have to order around 6pm.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby zaff1984 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 pm

yup.. pulau weh is awesome, very relaxing & interesting to explore.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby keenfreedom » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Imagine...I eat for 8 days at the restaurant next to Steffen!
Everyday breakfast was pancake, lunch and dinner was mi goreng/nasi goreng.
But no doubt Weh is a great place to dive.

So zaff1984....hope to see you there again ya!  :grin:
No dive no life!
keenfreedom
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby run » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm

keenfreedom i feel sorry for you :D
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby zaff1984 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:33 am

keenfreedom wrote:Imagine...I eat for 8 days at the restaurant next to Steffen!
Everyday breakfast was pancake, lunch and dinner was mi goreng/nasi goreng.
But no doubt Weh is a great place to dive.

So zaff1984....hope to see you there again ya!  :grin:

haha... yup2.. pancake & mi goreng.. that is why run walk 4km for bakso...
best part is the air ticket to Acheh is not that expensive compared to Tawau & Bali and looking forward to going back again.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby misscherry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Erm, can somebody tell me how to get there? and when is the best time to head to Pulau Weh. Details please! Pricing, etc etc. I wanna go!  :grin:
d i v e 2 l i v e
misscherry
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:44 pm

run,
pulau weh, u remind me of mama donut, no really
i missed the doughnut hot & steamy, not mama donut daughter..... :grin:
why u come to an island to have bakso, mee goreng, nasi goreng & pancake?
u should enjoy seafood, all the fish & seafood are cheap & fresh direct from the sea
plain ikan bakar pulau weh stail also very nice.....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:57 pm

run,
if this from narco
3. Provide more pillows and thicker blanket
and ur suggestion
the answer no 3
i guess it is more cheaper that way

my answer will be, bring ur own "pillows and thicker blanket" like narco did....hehe
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby run » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:17 pm

mamakpenang i didn't bother with the blanket nor the pillows :) i have no problem with no aircond.
I didn't stay near iboih and so mama doughnot didnt come to steffans. Their lontong, bakso, nasi lemak waaaaaaaaay different than ours.
Apam balik really not like ours. Even the murtabak definitely more meat than cabbage like ours.
Next trip i wanna ask the locals to make the Vinager meat. Sound tasty. Yum~Yum
Their nasi goreng. Plain simple but have that kick taste to it. Though they are not that spicy like ours.
Ordered air kelapa and they gave us coconut with red syrup. How odd. It was like dive and eat occasion.

Misscherry

SteffanSeasport (diving & lodging)
http://www.steffen-sea-sports.com/ or facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/steffenseasports

other DC lumba-lumba own by mat salleh and Rubiah tirta divers (currently Mr Azmi tioman is helping out at rubiah)
http://lumbalumba.com/
www.rubiahdivers.com

Just send email to them and check out their prices.
Normally the packages will include diving+lodging exclude everyday meals and transportation but for the place i stayed mr steffan sea sport they include tranport from airpot banda aceh -> Ule lhee Jetty and from Balohan jetty to Steffan guesthouse.

things you need to consider book your flight ticket on Friday cause there in banda aceh not allow to work for halfday. Same goes for Pulau weh.

Best time to go weh?? When i asked they say dont have any monsoon like us. The wheather is unpredictable. They have strong winds. Right now its Angin Barat.(West wind). Starting Nov it will be angin timor (East wind) but still can dive. I'm heading there again maybe next year when the water is cold. Want to find myself some Mola-mola tersesat.

Budget Flight from Penang or KLIA
Airasia.com & www.fireflyz.com.my

Hotel bookings and round trip tour of Banda Aceh and ferry information
Pak Is Hp: +6281269426564 ((but u can ask Mr Steffan to help out too)

Lodging bookings and round trip tour of Pulau Weh and ferry information
Mr Rijal hp:+6285260555300 (but u can ask Mr Steffan to help out too)

These people are all nice people and you dont have to be afraid thinking they may cheat on you.

My Budget plan:
Diving and lodging at steffans: MYR699 (6dives)
Food  Lontong, nasi lemak,bakso : IDR8k - IDR30k each(i use the staff to help me buy the food.  please bring urself 3in1 or tea, coffee. these things are not provided at steffan)
Transport from airport to Ulee lhee jetty: inlcuded in steffan package (this is also inlcuded when you want to get back to the airport)
Fast ferry ticket to Balohan Jetty pulau weh : IDR65k (fast ferry only available 8am and 4pm so book your air ticket correctly otherwise you will need to stay another nite at banda Aceh)
Transport Balohan jetty @pulau weh to steffan guesthouse :Already inlcude in package(this is included when you want to get back to banda aceh)
fast ferry from Balohan to banda Aceh: IDR75k Economy seat
At pulau weh i went round the tour of the island : IDR500k ( use a car with driver perday)
At Banda aceh i charter halfday to go certain famous sites : IDR250k
stayed overnight at Hotel Medan : IDR185k (without breakfast)
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby misscherry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:43 pm

;) I want to "like" this:

run wrote:Misscherry

SteffanSeasport (diving & lodging)
http://www.steffen-sea-sports.com/ or facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/steffenseasports

other DC lumba-lumba own by mat salleh and Rubiah tirta divers (currently Mr Azmi tioman is helping out at rubiah)
http://lumbalumba.com/
www.rubiahdivers.com

Just send email to them and check out their prices.
Normally the packages will include diving+lodging exclude everyday meals and transportation but for the place i stayed mr steffan sea sport they include tranport from airpot banda aceh -> Ule lhee Jetty and from Balohan jetty to Steffan guesthouse.

things you need to consider book your flight ticket on Friday cause there in banda aceh not allow to work for halfday. Same goes for Pulau weh.

Best time to go weh?? When i asked they say dont have any monsoon like us. The wheather is unpredictable. They have strong winds. Right now its Angin Barat.(West wind). Starting Nov it will be angin timor (East wind) but still can dive. I'm heading there again maybe next year when the water is cold. Want to find myself some Mola-mola tersesat.

Budget Flight from Penang or KLIA
Airasia.com & www.fireflyz.com.my

Hotel bookings and round trip tour of Banda Aceh and ferry information
Pak Is Hp: +6281269426564 ((but u can ask Mr Steffan to help out too)

Lodging bookings and round trip tour of Pulau Weh and ferry information
Mr Rijal hp:+6285260555300 (but u can ask Mr Steffan to help out too)

These people are all nice people and you dont have to be afraid thinking they may cheat on you.

My Budget plan:
Diving and lodging at steffans: MYR699 (6dives)
Food  Lontong, nasi lemak,bakso : IDR8k - IDR30k each(i use the staff to help me buy the food.  please bring urself 3in1 or tea, coffee. these things are not provided at steffan)
Transport from airport to Ulee lhee jetty: inlcuded in steffan package (this is also inlcuded when you want to get back to the airport)
Fast ferry ticket to Balohan Jetty pulau weh : IDR65k (fast ferry only available 8am and 4pm so book your air ticket correctly otherwise you will need to stay another nite at banda Aceh)
Transport Balohan jetty @pulau weh to steffan guesthouse :Already inlcude in package(this is included when you want to get back to banda aceh)
fast ferry from Balohan to banda Aceh: IDR75k Economy seat
At pulau weh i went round the tour of the island : IDR500k ( use a car with driver perday)
At Banda aceh i charter halfday to go certain famous sites : IDR250k
stayed overnight at Hotel Medan : IDR185k (without breakfast)
d i v e 2 l i v e
misscherry
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby Narco » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:33 pm

Dun just 'LIKE'.. just book your ticket and go. Am planning for a revisit too. Perhaps, next year. My other half is addicted to the 'Alpukat Juice'
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#14  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 pm

ermmm...order please
teh botol satu
pop mee bakso satu
donut dua....... :cool:
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby run » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:51 pm

hummm AA RM76 back and forth in mac13. Forgot to inform you . In case the rooms at Steffan house is full , you can try book at the other chalet/iin at iboih and
have the staff pick u up for diving from your place.

If you are planning to have 6 dives(2days of diving) you add another 24hour for NO-Fly time. Then you have to add 1 day for journey.

Flight normally around noon.
Example
Friday -2pm touch down banda aceh.4pm get fast ferry. 6pm arrive guesthouse
Sat - 3 dives
Sun- 3dives (last dive normally 2pm)
Mon- no dives
Tues- Go back to Malaysia
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby misscherry » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Narco wrote:Dun just 'LIKE'.. just book your ticket and go. Am planning for a revisit too. Perhaps, next year. My other half is addicted to the 'Alpukat Juice'

I'm already looking at the earliest possible dates. lol..!
The hassle is, I am flying from Singapore. Leceh.com..!
d i v e 2 l i v e
misscherry
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby mamakpenang » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:10 pm

run,
your example.....
Example
Sat - 3 dives
Mon- no dives

i would like to change to

Sat - 3 dives
Sun- 3 dives (last dive normally 2pm)
Mon- 3 dives (most valuable fun dives before go back to KL) :evil:

this is because i believe, most of divers already have Dive Comp, new & old
& normally for recreational diving, the dive comp will give 13-18 hours no fly time, if your flight around 1pm Indonesia time, it is still ok......
yes you still can opt for 24hrs no fly time......too conservative for me.... :cool:
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby misscherry » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:27 pm

mamakpenang wrote:run,
your example.....
Example
Sat - 3 dives
Mon- no dives

i would like to change to

Sat - 3 dives
Sun- 3 dives (last dive normally 2pm)
Mon- 3 dives (most valuable fun dives before go back to KL) :evil:

this is because i believe, most of divers already have Dive Comp, new & old
& normally for recreational diving, the dive comp will give 13-18 hours no fly time, if your flight around 1pm Indonesia time, it is still ok......
yes you still can opt for 24hrs no fly time......too conservative for me.... :cool:

mamakpenang, whichever rocks your boat. as long as you stay safe, and willing to have slightly bigger hole in pocket! Hehe!

i am already fidgeting and wondering whether i shld go P.Wei in Aug (fasting!). Hehe! my DR reg set arriving next week, and I may be desperate to test them out. Haha!
d i v e 2 l i v e
misscherry
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby mamakpenang » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:23 pm

haha.....don't wait, just go & enjoy your dive.......with new DR reg.
i believe they do dive during fasting month (ramadhan al mubarak)
stay safe, dont forget safety stop 5m 3min, insyaallah no problemo...... :grin:
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby misscherry » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:37 pm

mamakpenang wrote:haha.....don't wait, just go & enjoy your dive.......with new DR reg.
i believe they do dive during fasting month (ramadhan al mubarak)
stay safe, dont forget safety stop 5m 3min, insyaallah no problemo...... :grin:

i fasting, how to dive. haOos you know.
d i v e 2 l i v e
misscherry
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby zaff1984 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:26 pm

@run; I stayed at Steffen too last Dec, when we reached Sabang Jetty.. and search for Rijal, he ask where to go..? I said Steffen, and he seem blur.. I said Pak Tua.. pun still blur.. but still he drive us & stop at sumurtiga... rupa-rupanya, salah Rijal daaa...  :blank:
Last edited by zaff1984 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby Nitrogen addict » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 am

We have trip to Pulau Weh in November. Details please vivist www.oceanelements.my

Thank you
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#23  Postby xaidee » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:04 am

Going to Weh on Nov 23rd.  Very excited as this will be my first time there.  I hope the east wind will not be that bad. Appreciate any tips from fellow divers for this during this period.  Planning to dive with Rubiah.
xaidee
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby Narco » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Safe dive. U will enjoy Weh. Looking forward to revisit Weh!
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Return to International Destinations