MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Anilao, Eagle Point resort, 190512--230512

Anilao, Eagle Point resort, 190512--230512

For trip reports, resort reviews and questions about international destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Anilao, Eagle Point resort, 190512--230512

Post Number:#1  Postby decimal86 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Anilao-Eagle Point Resort 19/05/12

How this all started is not something I want to go into..we meant to go to a DC that we enjoyed, and which we visited twice! But kena main betul betul.
A word of advice, when you email the DC be very careful to ask if you will be waiting for other divers?  Maybe you want to go the day after?
Manila international does not have an air-cond waiting area. It is like a huge car-park with some stalls selling water and cold drinks and very few seats. It was about 28 deg and very little breeze.
Anyway we made a couple of frantic calls on a Saturday morning and that’s how we ended up at Eagle point. The lady that replied was so nice, it was hard to say NO.
They arranged transport within an hour to pick us at the airport.
Eagle point is not a diving center per se…it is a beach resort for the masses and for company functions, but there is an upside to this. If you know the sites, perhaps it is an advantage because you have the boat and the DM to yourself. And that was how we we dived. We have been here twice and know where we shot our favourite critters so we told the DM where we wanted to go.
From the pictures you can see it is not frequented by divers. They have only one boat. But but they have a training pool with 5 sharks, a giant grouper and a friendly puffer that you can shoot at your convenience. The sharks are about 2 foot? They pump sea water into the pool every now and then to keep the fishes alive.
The rooms were hotel standard. They have a fridge in the room. Sat tv. But no WiFi. The brochure said Free Wi Fi but they must have changed their mind. Big mistake. Paid Wi Fi is expensive. If I had known I would have bought a sim card.
Meals are buffet style and not worth writing about. Our intended DC was way better.
Although it was a package deal, they sell their dive package in multiples of divers and 2 dives. Strange way of doing things but we had no choice. So its 4, 3, 2 and 1 diver then there is the multiple of 2 dives for the combo away.
The hotel was full of weekenders but no divers though. Not many bought the package either. They also have notices saying outside food and liquor forbidden. It is a very big resort. The size of Redang Laguna Resort. The transport from the city dropped us off on the roadside and the hotel transport came and picked us up, and coasted downhill to the resort. I think they expect a big crowd on weekend and there is not enough parking space down below? Only a guess.
They have 4 sea eagles in cages…tsk tsk! Big fellows. One friendly mackaw.
2 swimming pools, one play pool with a slide, helipad and boats that take you to Sepoc Island about 15 mins away. Mainly for snorkelers.
We did not dive their house reef. They are a couple of minutes away from The Cathedral and Arthur’s Point.
First dive was at Secret Bay, Twin Rocks and Koala. Plenty of Nudis, scorpion fish, ghostpipe and eels.
Good visibility, easily 20 m. warm waters and the sun shone. Plenty of divers at Twin Rocks, sign says no more than 20 divers at a time.
We finally figured it out…diving is not the main biz at Eagle. Cuz our boat was a rental ! they will ask you when you want to dive in the morning and then they will show up.
Next day we did Kirby, Sepoc wall and Bethlehem. Again plenty of Nudis  again.  Our dive guide- Money-did his best as he was sick and he was the only one available.

We did a total of 6 dives each. We were looking forward to more dives as we knew the sites well but my health took a turn for the worse also. Strange, the symptoms were the same when I was on board the MV Black Manta.

Well I was happy cuz I was testing my new wing. A dive rite 360. My Travel EXP was not holding me up enough, or have I put on weight ?

You must dive secret bay. It is a mini Lembeh.

In closing, Eagle’s Point is a hotel with a dive facility. I did not see any signs of EAN. No O2 bottle on boat either. Just water to drink. If you want a higher level of luxury and a full bar and restaurant, this is where you can go.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 25

Re: Anilao, Eagle Point resort, 190512--230512

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Wed May 30, 2012 11:51 am

is the resort at batangas? u didn't go to verde island?
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby decimal86 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:44 pm

run wrote:is the resort at batangas? u didn't go to verde island?

yeah Batangas.

this is the verde island resort you talking about? there is a verde island near Puerto Galera ? strong currents, drift dives pelagics. no macro. batangas is home to a lot of dive resort. dive 7000 is supposedly the best for photographers. i called but nobody picked up...try some other time. the owner is father of scuba-diving in philippines. so the write up says.

next one i think, Palawan islands or maybe Tubbataha LOB. but also pelagics not macro.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby run » Wed May 30, 2012 1:52 pm

i read about your dive in previous old thread about diving puerto galera. U stayed at Sabang whereas i stayed at the lagoon's docking port. I forgot the name. If googled Puerto galera it will show the port. No beach. No night life. Very serene and calm.
Dive with badladz. In the lagoon itself lots of macros( seahorse, pipefish, leaf fish, rhinopias, blue ring octo, wonderpus octopus, hairy frogfish..could have found many more things but at depth 16m couldn't stay that long underwater), poor viz, mild current but sometime no current. Night dive was even amazing and scarier. Found a giant frogfish. If it opened it mouth i believe it's mouth could fit a child's head.
Did the extra dive to verde island. A very windy island. Viz at verde was superb. The deepest i went was 30m and i could still see another 20m down. A few occasions of swimming side by side with a seasnake which i really didn't notice it was near me. Lots of nudis. Luckily no current but the journey fm Puerto Galera to Verde island took about nearly 45min.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby decimal86 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:19 pm

oh badladz eh? ok i will check it out. ok now i know where badladz lurks...how their prices? and food choices?

so you took a banka from MNL port to PG? and right in front of their resort?

i will give it a try. MNL is better because of the air connections. Manado does not have a daily flt...sad or else i will go more often.

Ambon also suffers from non-connectivitis. thats all i think about now,how/when to dive there again.

garuda flies to Makassar daily but their arr into Makassar not convenient. all the Ambon flts would have departed. so its a SIN/JKT transit then 0100 hrs JKT/UPG/ transit UPG/AMQ arr 0700 hrs. sigh ! ketagih apa nak buat?

you have been to Ambon?
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby decimal86 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:37 pm

decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby run » Thu May 31, 2012 11:11 am

I followed a group. Cost me about RM1600. All inclusive except flight fm KL-MNL-KL. I use Cebu air.
Meal wise for me very poor. Only chicken, meat , rice, and for fruits banana/pineapple. The same meal each day.
The chiken and meat , either cook with kicap or like a spegetti sauce.
for breakfast bread/pancake/onion rice/eggs. No fries nor sausages.
There were other ala-carte food you can order which taste better than the inclusive meals.
The best thing at the cafe was its mexican nachos. Fresh made crispy nachos daily.
Though you can find hawkers or street food easy there.
The dive centre/chalet/cafe everthing is in one place. Organized and clean very much basic but all that you ever need.
Free wifi, got HBO. Excellent view from the room.
Only its location stood far from sabang and white beach. It is a dead place at night but full of life in the morning.
The place also very near to the main jetty muelle pier so pretty much all the locals will use the jetty to ride banka to batangas.
here is the link http://badladz.com/
i see that the banka transport is quite efficient. Every half hour.
You can rent the smaller banka to get to any of the beaches close by.

As for the muslim, i have to say food is hard to find around the area. You need to rent motorbikes to go around and find halal food.
there are mosque there so i'm sure halal food will be close by.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby decimal86 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:50 pm

run wrote:I followed a group. Cost me about RM1600. All inclusive except flight fm KL-MNL-KL. I use Cebu air.
Meal wise for me very poor. Only chicken, meat , rice, and for fruits banana/pineapple. The same meal each day.
The chiken and meat , either cook with kicap or like a spegetti sauce.
for breakfast bread/pancake/onion rice/eggs. No fries nor sausages.
There were other ala-carte food you can order which taste better than the inclusive meals.
The best thing at the cafe was its mexican nachos. Fresh made crispy nachos daily.
Though you can find hawkers or street food easy there.
The dive centre/chalet/cafe everthing is in one place. Organized and clean very much basic but all that you ever need.
Free wifi, got HBO. Excellent view from the room.
Only its location stood far from sabang and white beach. It is a dead place at night but full of life in the morning.
The place also very near to the main jetty muelle pier so pretty much all the locals will use the jetty to ride banka to batangas.
here is the link http://badladz.com/
i see that the banka transport is quite efficient. Every half hour.
You can rent the smaller banka to get to any of the beaches close by.

As for the muslim, i have to say food is hard to find around the area. You need to rent motorbikes to go around and find halal food.
there are mosque there so i'm sure halal food will be close by.

there you go !! a trip report !!

thks. i have a few days in July that the boss did not notice, i think i will swing by badladz! nvr mind the dull night life. if there are cute cute critters its enough for me.

might be adding to my arsenal of port and lenses soon. for a an even up close and personal encunter with these critters.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Return to International Destinations