MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Tenggol Trip Report (11-14 April 2012)

Tenggol Trip Report (11-14 April 2012)

Trip reports, resort reviews and questions about Malaysian destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Tenggol Trip Report (11-14 April 2012)

Post Number:#1  Postby Dirt-Diver » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:01 pm

[font=calibri]Was at Tenggol from 11-14 April (4D3N) with 14 dives. Had the island & DM to myself. For sure Zol's dive centre is clean& very well organized. Kudos to Zol. Also as per Toodus reports.[/font]
[font=calibri][/font]
[font=calibri]Day 1:[/font]
[font=calibri]Arrive at Dugun Pasar at 7.30am & managed to grab a nice Nasik Lemak. Was at the Jetty at 8.15am & hop into the boat to the island.[/font]
[font=calibri]Reached island at 9.50am, dropped the bag at the Hill Top chalet (air-cond) with nice view. Unpacked & went to the restaurant for a nice coffee.[/font]
[font=calibri][/font]
[font=calibri]- 1st dive at 10.30am @ 5 sisters.[/font]
[font=calibri]- 2nd dive at 2pm @ Turtle Point. Lots of Nudibranch. If you are a fan of Micro, this is the place.[/font]
[font=calibri]- 3rd dive at 5pm @ Pulau Nyireh[/font]
[font=calibri][/font]
[font=calibri]Day 2:[/font]
[font=calibri]- 1st dive at 8am @ Tokong Laut.[/font]
[font=calibri]- 2nd dive at 11am @ Fishbowl[/font]
[font=calibri]- 3rd dive at 2pm @ Tokong Timur[/font]
[font=calibri]- 4th dive at 5pm @ Teluk Nakhoda[/font]
[font=calibri][/font]
[font=calibri]Day 3:[/font]
[font=calibri]- 1st dive at 8am @ Tokong Burung[/font]
[font=calibri]- 2nd dive at 11am @ 5 Sister[/font]
[font=calibri]- 3rd dive at 2pm @ Amazing Grace[/font]
[font=calibri]- 4th dive at 5pm @ Tanjung Api[/font]
[font=calibri][/font]
[font=calibri]Day 4:[/font]
[font=calibri]- 1st dive at 8am @ Moonraker[/font]
[font=calibri]- 2nd dive at 11am @ Coral Garden[/font]
[font=calibri]- 3rd dive at 1.30pm @ Amazing Grace[/font]
[font=calibri]- Depart island at 4pm arrive Dugun 4.50pm. Had dinner at Kemaman & arrive KL at 11pm.[/font]

[font=calibri]Sorry don't know how to attached photos in here. Time being provide a photos link:[/font]

[font=calibri]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/861/thewreck.jpg/[/font]
[font=calibri]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/thewreck3.jpg/[/font]
[font=calibri]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/batfish.jpg/[/font]
[font=calibri]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/batfish3.jpg/[/font]
[font=calibri]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/canucount1.jpg/[/font]
[font=calibri]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/528/nudibranch7.jpg/[/font]
[font=calibri]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/goodtoseebadtotouch8.jpg/[/font]
[font=calibri]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/bumphead1.jpg/[/font]
[font=calibri]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/nudibranch.jpg/[/font]
[font=calibri]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/nudibranch24.jpg/[/font]
[font=calibri]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/sunsetday3.jpg/[/font]
Dirt-Diver
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Tenggol Trip Report (11-14 April 2012)

Post Number:#2  Postby tim » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:15 pm

That's a big school of bumphead parrotfishes. Haven't seen a school like that on the East Coast in years.

That last nudibranch is technically a nudibranch. But it is more commonly called a Spanish Dancer because it swims as its mode of locomotion.
tim

Post Number:#4  Postby tim » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:26 pm

That last one is a common sea cucumber. It is in its reproduction cycle. Both male and female sea cucumbers typically stand up and release their gametes through their front opening (or anus, not sure). The two types of gametes then float around and are fertilised when they meet in open water. The resulting larvae spend some days growing while floating and then settle on the seabed.

(This is just my understanding from observing them mating.)

So while taking the photo, you were probably swimming in their sperm!
tim

Post Number:#5  Postby toodus » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:19 pm

HOw's Fishbowl? Kena buat negative entry???
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#6  Postby zaff1984 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:40 pm

Is it expensive dive in Tenggol compared to Perhentian..? and which one is better..? never been to both island but planning to.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby mamakpenang » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:54 am

nice one bro, thanks for sharing
so many dive in just 4 days...... B-)
never been to tenggol, hopefully one fine day....hehe.....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby mamakpenang » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:09 am

zaff1984 wrote:Is it expensive dive in Tenggol compared to Perhentian..? and which one is better..? never been to both island but planning to.

if i were to compare......the charges for room/accomodation & dives, maybe not much difference (though i never been to Pulau Tenggol)hehe.....
for me, it is depend, on location....if u were in KL, it takes 7-8 hours driving to reach Kuala Besut Jetty to Pulau Perhentian, and maybe around 4-5 hours driving to reach Dunggun to Pulau Tenggol.....the apposite for me who live in Penang.
the choice is yours......
because when u are too tired driving, u would not really enjoying diving......
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby Dirt-Diver » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:05 pm

[font=verdana]Oh boy, sea cucumber sperm!! Didn't know their sperm were all over me... yeak.[/font]
[font=verdana]Fishbowl was great, no -ve entry. [/font]
[font=verdana]With 4D3N (single room air-cond + boat tranf + meals + 14 dives) I paid RM1,875 with exclusive DM. Cause so happen I was the only diver during my first 2 days & subsequent days with +1 diver. Isn't it great?[/font]
[font=verdana]I wanted more dives but pitty DM cause he was stressed out with me.[/font][font=verdana][/font]
[font=verdana]Diving is inexpensive if compared to other sports such as golf / cars. Still depend on how you want to analyse the $$ or allocate your funds.[/font]
[font=verdana]All islands / dive sites have their own uniqueness. With this, I would suggest that map out your Dive Calendar. Sooner or later u need to visit Perhentian or Tenggol or other islands.[/font]
[font=verdana]Cheers and Happy Blup Blup.[/font]
Dirt-Diver
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby tunaturner » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Wow, Tenggol sounds so enticing. Anyone planning to go there in July, please let me know.

Anyways I am back from a week so-called dive trip in Phuket-Krabi-PhiPhi. Phuket was raining the whole time so we spent 2days shopping and massaging (hehe), had to skip dive in Krabi because of flu (boohoo!) and Phi Phi was just so-so. We were diving with Barracuda claimed the most reputable DC but we were disappointed with them. Maybe we dived with the wrong DC or the fact that they had a big group of discoverscuba-divers with us that day, they were supposed to take us to Bida Nok/Nai but instead they took us to these sad sites called Viking Cave and Malong because of strong current. Which made me think Perhentian surpassed Phi Phi big time.

I am off to Pom Pom next month for a solo trip. Anyone up for it can lemme know. ;)
tunaturner
Diver
Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#11  Postby mamakpenang » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:04 pm

well for me phi-phi island was over commercialized, too many tourists...the dive site not so bad if u compared to pulau payar langkawi hehe......it is green, please don't compare to perhentian or redang.......
not much to see in viking cave & malong, but if u are lucky, u will see  a few black tip shark (fat one), a lot of kuhls stingrays near sandy bottom & of course a few turtle, less soft coral but a lot of hard coral......
i dive with visa diving before, together with baracudda dc in the same big double decker boat, they kind of sharing boat because of not many divers, there are 21 DC in phi phi island, same price, just choose one.... B-)
any dive is a good dive.....better than sitting on my table, typing this haha.....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby toodus » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:54 pm

tunaturner wrote:Wow, Tenggol sounds so enticing. Anyone planning to go there in July, please let me know.

Anyways I am back from a week so-called dive trip in Phuket-Krabi-PhiPhi. Phuket was raining the whole time so we spent 2days shopping and massaging (hehe), had to skip dive in Krabi because of flu (boohoo!) and Phi Phi was just so-so. We were diving with Barracuda claimed the most reputable DC but we were disappointed with them. Maybe we dived with the wrong DC or the fact that they had a big group of discoverscuba-divers with us that day, they were supposed to take us to Bida Nok/Nai but instead they took us to these sad sites called Viking Cave and Malong because of strong current. Which made me think Perhentian surpassed Phi Phi big time.

I am off to Pom Pom next month for a solo trip. Anyone up for it can lemme know. ;)

Love the nick tunaturner..... anyway, come come to Tenggol. It's an easy 5 hour drive weekend dive. You'll love Pom Pom. I'm a regular at Pom Pom
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#13  Postby Dirt-Diver » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Should organize a weekend dive. Distress fr work.

Planning fr Kapas island. Have not dive there before.
Dirt-Diver
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby Ikan wadi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi..i had been to Tenggol twice. My 1st. trip was last year oct. end and 2nd.trip was last month. I'm a newbie myself, so ofcourse i dont have any underwater camera and i just enjoy and having my leisure dive there. What i can say about Tenggol is i like the island very much because it's consider very private island, not many people there and i feel its nature still around there.  I managed to do a snorkeling infront of the resort and with my 3m underwater camera, i proudly myself to snap few of blacktip babies and made some video of them too... :P
Ikan wadi
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby yeekeong » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:37 am

first dive 5 sisters? isnt it a pretty deep dive? no checkout easy dive first before tackling the hard stuffs?

long time since i hantam on so many dives per day....last time did on liveaboard....now ask me also i stick to 3 lah...old liao!!
yeekeong
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby Dirt-Diver » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:07 pm

[font=calibri]Too much of work pressure ….. so 1st dive go to the max and also max diving.[/font]
[font=calibri][/font]
[font=calibri]Work Hard & Dive Hard[/font]
[font=calibri][/font]
[font=calibri]it's in deed a nice quite island compared to other islands / resorts. if you don't expect luxury lifestyle, this is the best island.[/font]
Dirt-Diver
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby Dirt-Diver » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Dirt-Diver
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Return to Local Destinations