MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Re: New metal shipwreck off Tioman!!!

Re: New metal shipwreck off Tioman!!!

Trip reports, resort reviews and questions about Malaysian destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

New metal shipwreck off Tioman!!!

Post Number:#1  Postby tim » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:01 pm

[size=1em]Ship's new life as artificial reef
[/size][size=1em]ROMPIN: KD Sipadan -- a decommissioned 48-year-old patrol vessel owned by the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) -- will embark on a new role on the Pulau Tioman seabed here starting Wednesday.

[/size]  [size=1em]The vessel, which will be sunk some 1.5 nautical miles off the Tioman Marine Park here to create an artificial reef, is expected to draw huge numbers of tourists to the island.[/size]
[size=1em] Once voted as among the 10 most beautiful islands in the world, Pulau Tioman will also set a new milestone in the efforts to promote marine life as the former warship will be the first of its kind to be turned into an artificial reef in the country.[/size]
[size=1em] Previously owned by the Royal Malaysian Navy, the warship was handed to the MMEA in 2005 and was involved in several rescue and enforcement operations in Malaysian waters before being decommissioned last year.[/size]
[size=1em] Pulau Tioman Marine Parks Department director Mohamed Ridzuan Mohamed Alias said since last year, the 31m long and 4.5m wide vessel had been docked at the Kamunting Fisheries Department jetty in Kuantan.[/size]
[size=1em] To ensure that the vessel would be safe for diving activities, he said workers were hired to clean, strip off the electrical wires and certain equipment.[/size]
[size=1em] "We expect the vessel to be a big hit among divers as they will not only be able to explore the interior but also see for themselves the old English cannon and other items on the ship.[/size]
[size=1em] "The department will position the vessel among the coral reefs at Sawadee Wreck, which is a popular haunt for divers.[/size]
[size=1em] "After sinking it, we will also assess the safety level before allowing scuba divers to explore," he said adding that it was crucial to ensure that the vessel did not pose any danger to divers.[/size]
[size=1em] To date, he said the department had sunk about 15 fishing vessels in the marine park.[/size]
[size=1em] Apart from boosting the arrival of divers to the marine park, he said the artificial reefs at the marine park would also help increase the fish population.[/size] [color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][size=1em]

Read more:  [/size][/color]Ship's new life as artificial reef - General - New Straits Timeshttp://www.nst.com.my/nation/general/ship-s-new-life-as-artificial-reef-1.66013#ixzz1qCTZQg81
tim

Topic author

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Hopefully It will not taken apart by the metal hunters.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby Narco » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Hope so.. Otherwise there will be nothing much to see. Or maybe in the next 50 years, treasure hunters will swarm the place?
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#4  Postby Absolute Air Scuba » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Look at the bright side.........  we work together, it won happen...... it will be near by Sawadi Wreck.... Pak Manap from Taman Laut  know what to do!
your passion is diving ours is services
Absolute Air Scuba
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#5  Postby run » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:32 pm

ah near the sawadee wreck so just in front of the marine park so ok lar.
heh pak manap :) that old man always make me smile
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby Narco » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Absolute Air Scuba wrote:Look at the bright side.........  we work together, it won happen...... it will be near by Sawadi Wreck.... Pak Manap from Taman Laut  know what to do!

Hooray!! Glad to know that i will have the chance to enjoy the wreck one day.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#7  Postby zaff1984 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi.. may I know the depth of Sawadee Wreck or this wreck will be..? I am an open water diver but interested to see the big wreck... I just saw once car wreck in Tioman...

If it available by this Wednesday, I may have a chance to visit this new wreck.. because I will be @ Azmi DC this Friday :)
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby oldturtle » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Azmi ? great fellow ! swadee wreck...actually just a few decomposed plank here and there .. visi so so only ..flat bottom... nothing romantic about it ! ..go to Soyak...100% better !  Swadee is excuse mostly used for some nonsense deep dive course or something.!

Who the hell is interested a deep dive and risk the problem it could bring ? Stay recreational limit 18m ... !!! fun all the way..
oldturtle
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby run » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:42 pm

sawadee wreck is deep to 30m. The shallowest at about 16m~20m.
if with Azmi, i'm sure raja razis or tasyaz can help you with that. Might as well u sign up for advance if you already did deep dive :P . Just another few hundred $$ you already have deep dive cert hahaha.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby zaff1984 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:38 pm

thanks for the info oldturtle and run... so far the deepest I go is 24 meter at Pulau Weh... So Im looking for wreck that less than 24meter... thanks oldturtle for your suggestion...

Run, I plan to take advance when my dive log more than 20 dives.... now baru 12 dives.. tioman another 4 dives.
Cant afford advance course right now.. baru beli camera + housing... haha...
Last edited by zaff1984 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby theevopig » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:20 am

Have you all seen the wreck at Pirates Reef Tioman? Last 2 week i dove there the wreck is about 15 to 20 meter long didn really go and measure haha agak agak only haha. The wreck is lay on the sandy bottom so dove must very good in buoyancy if not what you will see is SAND STORM HAHA. We dove there with few advanced student but still see sand storm but minor sand storm haha. The wreck is at 24m meter depth depend on the tide but i really remember on the day we dove is high or low tide. According the dive comp the deepest we dove is 24m so i think is about there la. Maybe you all can go dive there.

Cheers.....
New Evolution Pig Which DIVE. Dive more discover more.Enjoy dive and DIVE SAFELY.
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby zaff1984 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:46 am

theevopig wrote:Have you all seen the wreck at Pirates Reef Tioman? Last 2 week i dove there the wreck is about 15 to 20 meter long didn really go and measure haha agak agak only haha. The wreck is lay on the sandy bottom so dove must very good in buoyancy if not what you will see is SAND STORM HAHA. We dove there with few advanced student but still see sand storm but minor sand storm haha. The wreck is at 24m meter depth depend on the tide but i really remember on the day we dove is high or low tide. According the dive comp the deepest we dove is 24m so i think is about there la. Maybe you all can go dive there.

Cheers.....

thanks theevopig for the suggestion.. nice I got another of wreck... 24m seems okay for open water diver.. hopefully no sand storm. haha. Gonna check pirate reef on youtube right now..  :D
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby theevopig » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:12 pm

zaff1984 wrote:
theevopig wrote:Have you all seen the wreck at Pirates Reef Tioman? Last 2 week i dove there the wreck is about 15 to 20 meter long didn really go and measure haha agak agak only haha. The wreck is lay on the sandy bottom so dove must very good in buoyancy if not what you will see is SAND STORM HAHA. We dove there with few advanced student but still see sand storm but minor sand storm haha. The wreck is at 24m meter depth depend on the tide but i really remember on the day we dove is high or low tide. According the dive comp the deepest we dove is 24m so i think is about there la. Maybe you all can go dive there.

Cheers.....

You are welcome. This dive site is new proposed by a DM from Berjaya Dive Centre. I not sure other Dive Centre know about it. To get to the wreck there some clue haha. You must search properly haha coz there no bouy or sign around the wreck haha. You may check with your dive centre you going to dive with. Good Luck.

Cheersss.......

thanks theevopig for the suggestion.. nice I got another of wreck... 24m seems okay for open water diver.. hopefully no sand storm. haha. Gonna check pirate reef on youtube right now..  :D
New Evolution Pig Which DIVE. Dive more discover more.Enjoy dive and DIVE SAFELY.
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby Absolute Air Scuba » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:29 pm

In Labuan WW2 Wreck, check the link out
www.labuantourism.com.my/explore/wreck_diving.htm
your passion is diving ours is services
Absolute Air Scuba
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#15  Postby nanda666 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Usually when they sink a vessel, they will monitor for shifting and movement on the seabed. I honestly doubt that you'll be able to dive the wreck on Friday if they sink it on Wed....

Even if they do allow....I would advise againts it. ...
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 5

Post Number:#16  Postby run » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:48 am

why is that nanda666? hope you can elobrate a  bit.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby weugene » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 am

i may be wrong but i think nanda is coming from a safety perspective. Incase the wreck is not stable yet and shifts; causing unwanted incident/accidents while you are diving it.
nak divinggggggg
weugene
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby zaff1984 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:17 am

weugene wrote:i may be wrong but i think nanda is coming from a safety perspective. Incase the wreck is not stable yet and shifts; causing unwanted incident/accidents while you are diving it.

nanda666 wrote:Usually when they sink a vessel, they will monitor for shifting and movement on the seabed. I honestly doubt that you'll be able to dive the wreck on Friday if they sink it on Wed....

wow, I don't realized that the wreck will shift and not stable at the beginning.. thanks for the info and concern. Will go to  safer and shallow located wreck..
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby nanda666 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:28 pm

zaff1984 wrote:
weugene wrote:i may be wrong but i think nanda is coming from a safety perspective. Incase the wreck is not stable yet and shifts; causing unwanted incident/accidents while you are diving it.

nanda666 wrote:Usually when they sink a vessel, they will monitor for shifting and movement on the seabed. I honestly doubt that you'll be able to dive the wreck on Friday if they sink it on Wed....

wow, I don't realized that the wreck will shift and not stable at the beginning.. thanks for the info and concern. Will go to  safer and shallow located wreck..

Weugene got it right. Based on shifting tides and weather conditions, the position the vessel lands on the seabed may not be the final resting position. The vessel may even break apart based on stress and strain. Remember, the vessel was designed to be above the water not below it!!

You really don't want to be around when a ship breaks apart.... give it a week or two to settle....then go check it out...photos pls!!  ;)
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#20  Postby Narco » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks Nanda666 for this very valuable information. A very useful one too!
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#21  Postby run » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:24 pm

nanda666 no pix but got video link. can?? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VjvNjIiZrQ#noexternalembed-ws
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby chikanoz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:48 pm

yes..at sawadee wreck..replace the old wreck there..31m at sandy bottom...
pewitttttttttttt
chikanoz
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby zaff1984 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:11 am

Hi guys.. just back from Tioman yesterday... sakit badan carry tank.. haha.. guess what.. we did dive at KM Sipadan & Sawadee wreck.. it just few meters away from each other. This is my first time wreck dive get really excited that time.. haha.. KM Sipadan totally new.. few fish around.. Sawadee got plenty of fishes. I got few photos and video which I will upload later.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby chikanoz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:21 am

thx for share zaff1984..how whether there?its good?
pewitttttttttttt
chikanoz
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#25  Postby zaff1984 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:58 am

chikanoz wrote:thx for share zaff1984..how whether there?its good?

This was my first time dive wreck. It was about 10 divers on boat. As I said before the KM Sipadan just next to Sawadee wreck. We are lucky that last sunday morning the current is weak, very smooth dive.. unlike last saturday we dive at Soyak the current is too strong, make us have return back at the starting point.

The  depth is around 30m-33m and the visibility is not so good.. around 10m-15m. The KM Sipadan size almost tioman's ferry length but higher I think. I manage to record a video down there with my new camera with no extra strobe or video light. So pardon me for poor quality.  B-) . haha. Have to be extra careful when enter into the ship.

Please enjoy me newbie video. P/S: how can I post youtube video correctly here..?

Last edited by zaff1984 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#26  Postby tim » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Haha! It's only been there a week and already the hull is covered in dirt-written graffiti.
tim

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby mamakpenang » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:04 pm

zaff,
nice video, visibility quite good, thanks for sharing
i love wreck diving, how long can u stay there?
ur new canon s100 i guess?.... :D
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#28  Postby zaff1984 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Tim wrote:Haha! It's only been there a week and already the hull is covered in dirt-written graffiti.

Underwater vadalism.

mamakpenang wrote:zaff,
nice video, visibility quite good, thanks for sharing
i love wreck diving, how long can u stay there?
ur new canon s100 i guess?.... :D

We all got so excited including our dive master from azmi. Haha. I guess around 20-30min down there. Doing 10m and 5m 3minute safety stop. I just follow the DM doing the safety stop.
Yup its my new S100. But cant take nice picture because strong current in some site
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby tim » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:22 pm

If you did 2 stops, must have busted your NDL. ;-)
tim

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby zaff1984 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Tim wrote:If you did 2 stops, must have busted your NDL. ;-)

I think we did 2 safety stop (if it not its my mistake)... It was our 1st dive of the day. Not sure about the NDL...
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Next

Return to Local Destinations