MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Any dive site around Penang?

Any dive site around Penang?

Trip reports, resort reviews and questions about Malaysian destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Any dive site around Penang?

Post Number:#1  Postby theevopig » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:14 pm

:hello:  all,

Do you all have any idea about dive site around penang island? I m from penang but not island haha. Looking for some nice dive site around penang island.

Thank you.
New Evolution Pig Which DIVE. Dive more discover more.Enjoy dive and DIVE SAFELY.
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Any dive site around Penang?

Post Number:#2  Postby Narco » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:22 pm

Hmm.. not in penang. The nearest divable site could be Song Song. I know somebody is trying to establish a wreck site but it is still in the early stage.
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#3  Postby nglg212 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:32 pm

maybe near pulau payar...not sure...
nglg212
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#4  Postby Narco » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Yep.. As mentioned by nglg212, another option is payar which is currently with two operators. Well, for just 2 dives.. i would say, unless one is really 'gian' to get wet then go for just for the sake of experiencing it.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#5  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:15 pm

if people ask where to dive in penang island, i would tell them that they can dive under the bridge.
there are a few people dive in penang island, under the bridge (you can also fishing under the bridge) but u will not see a coral or others marine life hehe... you will see the tiang (piling) of the bridge underwater. they doing checking for a crack underwater.
agreed with nglg212 u can dive at pulau payar it is a daily trip from penang swettenham pier around 8am to pulau payar reef platform and back from there around 4pm. u can dive with langkawi coral or east marine if i am not mistaken.
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby theevopig » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Oic.......

You all from penang also ? Actually currenty i m work in SG. Wana find out where else i can dive except Tioman and Redang hehe. Payar i heard b4 but only 1 day trip right. Anyone heard b4 a island near to langkawi which belong to Thailand. I heard that the dive site there damn nice...... Any idea ?
New Evolution Pig Which DIVE. Dive more discover more.Enjoy dive and DIVE SAFELY.
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby run » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:56 pm

mamakpenang wrote:if people ask where to dive in penang island, i would tell them that they can dive under the bridge.

If diving under Penang bridge something looks this
http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/viewpage.php?page_id=144
signme Up

Island near langkawi belongs to thailand? Perhaps you are referring to Similan island?
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#8  Postby Narco » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Diving underneath Penang Bridge is always Drift dives. Not recommended. Plus, the water is chemically contiminated - biohazards.

Potentially, this will happen:
1. U dive in - chemically affected - upon surfacing itchy and have medical problem
2. U dive in - chemically affected - upon surfacing turn into mutant/superheroes with unique power.. hehe

This can only be obtained by diving PENANG BRIDGE, the ultimate diving destination.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#9  Postby run » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Narco wrote:2. U dive in - chemically affected - upon surfacing turn into mutant/superheroes with unique power.. hehe
This can only be obtained by diving PENANG BRIDGE, the ultimate diving destination.

i definitely choose mutant cause there are a lot of jellyfish down there enough to scar you for life.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#10  Postby theevopig » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:48 pm

run wrote:
mamakpenang wrote:if people ask where to dive in penang island, i would tell them that they can dive under the bridge.

If diving under Penang bridge something looks this
http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/viewpage.php?page_id=144
signme Up

Island near langkawi belongs to thailand? Perhaps you are referring to Similan island?

Not very sure maybe i need to find out from my frens.
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby Narco » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:49 pm

mutated jellyfish! hehe
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#12  Postby theevopig » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Ya penang island got alot jelly fish. When you take ferry then you will see alot jelly fish haha.......
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:23 pm

actually i never dive in penang island, will talk to my friend after raya, to bring me to dive under the penang bridge, who knows hehe...
ermm near langkawi island.....ko adang and ko lipe (tarutao national park thailand) quite close to Langkawi Island, can see langkawi island from ko lipe if the weather is good....
shame to penang people never dive in penang island....hehe....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby theevopig » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm

mamakpenang wrote:actually i never dive in penang island, will talk to my friend after raya, to bring me to dive under the penang bridge, who knows hehe...
ermm near langkawi island.....ko adang and ko lipe (tarutao national park thailand) quite close to Langkawi Island, can see langkawi island from ko lipe if the weather is good....
shame to penang people never dive in penang island....hehe....

I think is Ko li pe. Haizzz my hometown there is no diver frens. Then recently i just active in diving hehe. So wana plan to dive around Penang island and know more about Penang island  :D .
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby decimal86 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:55 pm

wah pulau payar mesti bayar...the boat ride there already mahal. when i was there i saw a couple coming back to the pontoon after diving, no camera with them so no comment. RM 180 just to go there for snorkelling bro
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#16  Postby justjim » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi theevopig,

I've been going to Penang quite often of late due to work, and like you been looking for a potential dive spot in Penang. Short of going to Pulau Payar (which is a rip off and it's not really a good dive site), I did manage to find a remote island off Penang which offer some (apparently) very exciting dives. It's called Pulau Perak. It was featured in The Star way back in 2004 ans someone actually did a few dives there:

http://cyber-captain.blogspot.com/2010/04ing-pulau-perak.html

Heard the boat ride alone is a good 8 hours (!!). I haven't found any operator who is doing trips there though I heard Kaleebso do make a trip or two there during the off season. If you happen to mange to charter a trip, do tell, I'm keen too!

Cheers.

http://maps.google.com.my/maps?q=pulau+perak&hl=en&sll=6.043602,100.036011&sspn=0.5606,0.891953&vpsrc=0&t=h&z=14
Last edited by justjim on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img width=465 height=120]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/justjim123/IMG_1272SS.jpg[/img]
justjim
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby Narco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:52 am

Yeap, i must agree that Pulau Perak a.k.a. Tukun Perak is diveable. Pulau Perak is right at the border of Malaysia and Indonesia. That is the last island of ours. From what i know, we have a military team stationed at Pulau Perak (permanently or occassionally, i do not know).

I was there some 5 years back if not mistaken. The journey alone from Penang is at about 2 hours and a half. Mind you, i was on a highly powered Marine Police vessel (which i can't really recall the engine capacity) that is on patrol for illigal fishing and pirate activities.

I know that East Marine used to organise trips to Tukun Perak. Those interested can check it out with them. I was also told the viz and down current over there can be a little challenging for newbies.

Maybe those who have dived Tukun Perak can share a little bit of stories.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#18  Postby Malxn » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:01 pm

I think payar last time I went there.. RM360 for 2 dive for 1 person... Nice to 'lepas gian'....
Malxn
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Return to Local Destinations