MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Perhentian Trip 31/8/06 to 3/9/06

Perhentian Trip 31/8/06 to 3/9/06

Trip reports, resort reviews and questions about Malaysian destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Perhentian Trip 31/8/06 to 3/9/06

Post Number:#1  Postby HoleMaster » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:15 pm

Hey Peeps my first dive trip report. Just to forewarn that am not that good in writing long winded stories. I'll just keep it short and sweet. Basically i treat this trip as a "chill out and holiday" session with my homeboys. Not into hardcore diving like wat ive done so far. First and foremost i would like to thank Raja Zarina from Coral Conservation Society for her hardwork in organising this trip....well done..all went well and we had so much fun!

Divers:
HollowMan, HoleMaster, Loy, ManShah, Narong, Ziber, She, Ery, George, Raja Zarina

Non Divers:
Christina, Ayish, Mawar, Noni, Naqin, Murni, Nana

Resort:
Arwana. Superb rooms, alot of facilities for non divers e.g Karaoke, Snooker, Bar, Swimming Pool and etc

Dive Centre:
East Marine Divers.  As usual their services were awesome and u guys shud checkout their new dive boat

Dive Report:
As it was more than chill out session, i only did 4 dives and sadly to say didnt do Tokong Laut and Sugar Wreck :'( (Overslept). Well there's always next time

Visibility for all dives: Average 20 m (Best time of the year in Perhentian) :)

Weather: Clear blue skies and Sunny :)

Dive #1: Batu Layar
Bottom Time: 53 min
Max Depth: 16.7 m
Saw giant puffers, blue spotted, huge titan trigger and school of yellow barracuda

Dive #2: Tiger Rock
Bottom Time: 42 min
Max Depth: 19.8 m

Dive #3: Tanjung Basi
Bottom Time: 46 min
Max Depth: 17 m
As usual saw blue spotted and huge bumphead

Dive #4: Batu Butuk
Bottom Time: 41 min
Max Depth: 19.5 m
My favourite, similar like labas, tioman, huge boulders and lots of swim thru.

Well that’s it for now, probably others may want to add especially for Tokong Laut and Sugar Wreck
Last edited by HoleMaster on Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoleMaster

Topic author

Re: Perhentian Trip 31/8/06 to 3/9/06

Post Number:#2  Postby anas » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:52 pm

wah....
surprised a little to hear you did 4 dives.

how about current? ada kuat?
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby HoleMaster » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:42 pm

Bro lite and ez...btw i heard Sugar Wreck current was strong...HollowMan perhaps could provide more input
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby admin » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:58 pm

for me tokong laut and sugar wreck are some of best sites in perhentian. the current was strong, as expected but overall it was good  .. semput la jugak  :D
Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby Jim » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:26 pm

mana gambar?

I like tokong & terumbu 3. If the time is right (ask the local DM) D'lagoon pon best gak. A lot of things to see there.....
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:26 pm

D'Lagoon is good. Some may just pass it as a beginner's site but it has its own surprises. I enjoyed my dive there recently.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:48 pm

Visibility for all dives: Average 20 m (Best time of the year in Perhentian) :)

It's that time of the year when the Southerlies (or Southwesterlies on the West Coast) is blowing, tus slowing down the onset of the NE monsoon. This is the transition period, and this is also when people dive at the HMS Repulse. Good viz all the way down.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby katakpink » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:29 am

Me...I prefer Sugar Wreck....consider the best dive site there. 2nd goes to T3...
katakpink

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby Jim » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:34 am

Tg Basi ade berani? ...
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:53 pm

Tg Basi ade berani? ...

Was there with Anas and Nasir during the last trip.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby narong » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:37 pm

abang demon!!! long time no see .. the perhentian trip was good.. best!! kudin & zarir did a very good job of guiding us.. tks bros.. so projek LOB bila nk start???
narong

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:02 pm

al-Narong!! Tu la...lu sibuk panjat Gunung Kinabalu...orang panjat gunung kat katil aje...

LOB tengah finalise design details.

Jom pergi Lipe end of year!
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:57 pm

Narong banyak sangat bende dia commit...everythin he covers...Panjat Gunung, White Water Rafting, Paintball, Diving, Not to Forget GIRLS, Partying and the list goes on and on and on..........
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby narong » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:04 pm

ala bro biasa je tu.. selagi bole commit, kita commit.. life is short aight....
lipe? bila? CNY?
narong

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:05 pm

lipe? bila? CNY?

Lipe? Prob end of year kot
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:52 pm

lipe? bila? CNY?

Commit suicide bila? Make it shorter la  :P ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:53 pm

lipe? bila? CNY?

Lipe? Prob end of year kot

Lipe 23-26 December 2006. Pergi 22 malam macam hari tu.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#18  Postby mnim » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:16 am

Helo ppl,

Was on the trip too. It has been a year since my last trip to Perhentian. Dunno why but I've alwayz hav that special spot for Perhantian. Maybe it's the short boat ride. Maybe bcoz there're two islands but normally referred to as 1. Whatever it is, I had a great time diving there. So Kudinne, as promised, here's my brief report of trip.

Started my journey being pissed-off big time when the MAS check-in counter lady told me that the flight to Kota Bahru was fully booked. She said that they didn't expect a 100% turn-up. How can that be the case??? After being in the business for soooo long, they can't even predict the turn-up rate on a public holiday????? Tapi takpe, after much negotiation (read screaming), managed to get an upgrade to biznez class. Thanks MAS!! ;D

Upon arrival at KB, met the rest of the geng at the airport and coincidently, Mr Holemaster also had a story with his flying experience. Ticket hari lain, insurance hari lain. Macam tu pun boleh jadi. Then, we made our way to Kuala Besut. Journey on Abg Zamri's taxi was a relaxing one. Dapat tengok kampung-kampung, tobacco plantation & paddy fields. After arriving at Kuala Besut, we were immediately directed to our boat.

After checking-in at Arwana (resort was packed tho), did our 1st dive at Batu Layar, than Baby Tiger Rock. Both dives were relaxing. Took photos of nudis, anemone fishes, kerapu la, a strange looking spotted flat fish (I'll upload pics when I've the time to ok). Slept early that nite only to be awaken by some orchestra conducted by our friend Ery. After much struggling, managed to get some shut eyes and woke up feeling all grumpy the next day (1/9/06). But all that negative energy was soon eliminated after diving at Tiger Rock & Tanjung Basi. Sooooo many fishes and saw a huuuuuggeee titan. It was a funny sight when the titan was spotted by everyone. It was like an encounter with pontianak. Semua cabut siut!! Hehe.......................

Finally on the last dive-able day (2/9/06), we made our way to Tokong Laut. Had the shortest dive in my entire life!!! 11 minutes in total (incl. of the usual 3 min safety stop). About 1 minute after decending, at 21.6 mtrs, SAKIT PERUT!!!!!!. After a couple of minutes bertahan, I told myself, it's either in the wetsuit or go up and have a gud one. I choose the latter. Can't bear the fact of wearing a smeared wetsuit (could probably sell it on eBay tho!!). Then I proceeded with my ascent accompanied my DM Kamal. While doin my safety stop, the sensation stopped!! Damn tension! Wanted to re-decend but thinkin of our next dive at Sugar Wreck, I aborted any foolish plan. Takut tak cukup SI. After completing my ascend, saw 4 other divers cutting their dive short as they were drifted by strong currents without a guide (they were separated coz DM Kamal went to my assistance & DM Ali couldnt locate the 4 as they drifted quite a distance). That's the way guys!! Knowing what to do in an uncertain situation is pivotal to a safe dive!!. Just to note that DM Kamal & Ali were really professional in supervising our dives. Felt safe & for each dive, they went through the entire safety procedures.

Alamak, it's 12am alrdy. Got to tidoq.  :-/ Will continue later.....

Hollowman, do I need to do an intro??????? How come Holemaster dapat 5 stars? Can I get them tooo?? Siok dapat stars nie.....            
mnim
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:50 am

Helo ppl,

Hollowman, do I need to do an intro??????? How come Holemaster dapat 5 stars? Can I get them tooo?? Siok dapat stars nie.....            

Yes, you need an intro. And as for the stars, copy this and put it as your avatar. There are 5 stars there. Image
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#20  Postby GeorgeHalim » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:20 am

Perhentian trip was the best....complete with all the 'sugar and spices' of diving....good vis, strong current, beautiful swimthrough, variety in types/sizes of fishes that we encountered and not to mention-superb and fun dive buddies...!!!!!  Lodging wise was fantastic too in terms of the room size and facilities, but since the place was relatively new, there were some set backs but it was really a minor problem.
2nd time with East Marine and I'd say Jenny and her team handled us very well in providing some really good services at a very reasonable price. 'Perdana' served all the divers well and provided a very comfortable ride to and back from the dive sites. Overall, the trip was worth it!

To Kudeen, Zarir, Loy, Manshah, Ziber, Narong, Erry and She....thanks for all the good times (and the bad times.... ;D), we shall do this again sometime soon...maybe LOB! ;)
Full-time Paintballer, Half-time Diver and Part-time Aviator....
GeorgeHalim
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby MUW » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:20 pm

clap clap clap... well done on your report guys. appreciate it. thanks!  :)
MUW
Administrator
Administrator

Topics: 1

Post Number:#22  Postby MUW » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:22 pm

To Kudeen, Zarir, Loy, Manshah, Ziber, Narong, Erry and She....thanks for all the good times (and the bad times.... ;D), we shall do this again sometime soon...maybe LOB! ;)

By majority i think most of us enjoyed ourselves, including the non divers too.
It's was an excellent outing and a note to remember is without any one of us the trip might not be the same... applause to all!
And likewise, i am satisfied myself.. :)
MUW
Administrator
Administrator

Topics: 1

Post Number:#23  Postby babynemo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:47 pm

I definately enjoyed my trip to Perhentian altho only logged 2 dives  :P

Well thanks to all my fellow buddies, u guyz made this trip a memorable one  ;)
Cant wait for our next outing.  (Terasa gian lak nak dive lagi, when aahh??)

Kuds, George and Loy - me wanna see the pics!!
babynemo
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby sheik » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:52 pm

..i think i can only guess how you feel. you may go again.. has either kudin or holemaster mentioned about the upcoming live-aboard?  :)
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#25  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:33 pm

Hehhhehe..I wonder what the report would be like if viz was like when Ery went with me back in April. Anyway, in less than 48 hours, it's back underwater. Then next weekend I'm off to Perhentian again..just a few days before fasting month.

Hmm..come to think of it, bulan posa pun aku dive. No one in his right mind would drink sea water to quench thirst.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#26  Postby HoleMaster » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:45 pm

..i think i can only guess how you feel. you may go again.. has either kudin or holemaster mentioned about the upcoming live-aboard?  :)

yup already told babynemo abt our LOB trip
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#27  Postby HoleMaster » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:49 pm

Hehhhehe..I wonder what the report would be like if viz was like when Ery went with me back in April. Anyway, in less than 48 hours, it's back underwater. Then next weekend I'm off to Perhentian again..just a few days before fasting month.

Hmm..come to think of it, bulan posa pun aku dive. No one in his right mind would drink sea water to quench thirst.

Obviously wont drink seawater, dont u feel thirsty and dehydrated after diving? But then again, ur half man and machine...u can do without water for hours man ;D
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#28  Postby babynemo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:55 pm

Sheik... yup they have mentioned, its this weekend. Wish i cud follow, but i think im not well prepared for any LOBs.  Takut sea sick  :P.  But hey, maybe next time if there are any opportunities around i belasah je haha...
babynemo
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:47 pm

Sheik... yup they have mentioned, its this weekend. Wish i cud follow, but i think im not well prepared for any LOBs.  Takut sea sick  :P.  But hey, maybe next time if there are any opportunities around i belasah je haha...

Hmm...I'd rather be sick at sea diving than being sick because of work...hmm...come to think of it, I DON'T WORK! Hahahaha.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#30  Postby sheik » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:58 am

during my days of live-aboard.. i hardly find anyone getting a seasick--especially in kudin/holemaster's group.

give it a try ;-)   i heard seasick is better than any hangover..hands down! :D
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Local Destinations