MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Tunku Abdul Rahman Park - End June 13

Tunku Abdul Rahman Park - End June 13

Trip reports, resort reviews and questions about Malaysian destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Tunku Abdul Rahman Park - End June 13

Post Number:#1  Postby run » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:29 am

The environment , crowded full of people, unclean toilets, need to Q for food, lack of fresh water. Hated it. This kind of scene the same as Pulau Payar Langkawi.
For underwater it was a different story. Florish with corals and marine life but the corals were filled with debris. It is because the marine park is quite near to the mainland. Still the viz can consider to be good for that day. I did only 3 dives cause my schedules were pretty pack in Sabah and i could only squeeze 1 day for diving. I just want to feel how diving at TAR looks like. I booked my dive with Sabah Divers. Sabah divers not only sells dive trips but they make other tour arrangement too. They also provide service equipment for dive gears. We booked RM250 for 3 dives including gears. Need to give deposit RM60 for the mask. Minus lunch and pickup at the hotel.
Other dive operators offer pickup from the hotel, lunch BBQ, and 2 dives perday. My advise if you plan to do a day trip dive to TAR with Sabah Divers or any operators that didn’t include lunch,
-make sure in the morning you go to the bathroom before heading to the island.
-Bring your own pack of snacks for SI between 1st dive and 2nd dive and also pack your own lunch coz I went to the island’s café and it took me ages
For the food arrives and I only ordered a fried kuetiaw. Same goes with the drinks. When I say ages, I do mean ages. No bluffing here.
-bring a pair of dry clothes cause after the 3rd dive , the boat will not go back to the island. They will direct back to the mainland jetty and
You have to change into your dry clothes at the jetty. After that you need to walk back to the Sabah Divers office which located at the Wisma Sabah.
You will have to pass Suria KK and walk along the main road. Else you will be like my fren in his towel.
This time I didn’t bring with me any of my gears. All were rented with Sabah Divers.
They use regular snorkeling mask, scubapro regulator, scubapro T-One BCD and Problue fin. I use 3 weights for the dive.
T-one BCD very simple and I use the size S. When underwater there was no need to make any adjustment with the BCD. I feel comfortable wearing it. Just that the air seems to be accumalate around the waistline so in order for me to purge out all the air from the BCD , i have to
be very straight, held my left hand upward and purge. I rarely do this with my TUSA passage.
As for the regulator I forgot what model it was. All I can remember I need to open my mouth very wide to fit the mouthpiece.
Finning was ok but I don’t feel the thrust. I used to fin with my jetfin so with this problue I feel as if I didn’t wear any fin at all.
I just fin slowly. The DM was wearing another type of fin. A hard type, so when he kick it looks like he was moving faster than we were.
We just remain at our own slow pace. He has to wait for us.
My review about Sabah Divers, the guide Mr Hassan was not a talkative person but he was a very good guide by pointing at interesting creatures he saw to us. The boat was comfy since there was only the 3 of us as their customer that day. The downside need to walk back to the office from the jetty.
The reason we have to go back to the office was because i gave my deposit for the mask. So if i want my money back i have to go to the office. That is how they work. If you have your own mask, there is no need to go back to the office.
Other than Sabah Divers i think Divedownbelow.com offers interesting packages too. Ranging from budget to luxury.
They even have their own dive center at Pulau Gaya which mean you will not suffer for having bad toilets and long Q for food and refreshment.
Regretfully no underwater pix coz due to my stupid mistake, my cam had drowned. Now will be heading to MIDE with a purpose.
My dive was easy-level reason because i have 2 frenz still Open water and this was their 7th Dive after certification. It was very interesting to dive with them cause they easily absorb instruction.
With the 1st dive they were finning the usual paddle stroke. Since we were swimming near to the corals , i advise them to change their style to frog-kick just like how the DM was doing and they did just that on the 2nd dive.
After the 2nd dive i saw one of them were below me and the DM. He was not that far down but i was afraid his no-flight time will be longer than me so i advise him it would safer that he dive between me and the DM since both of us has Dive computers. He remembered that advise on our 3rd Dive. At the end i think the DM was having the most fun with these 3 dives because we could see he was happily playing with the fishes on our last dive.

run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 20

Re: Tunku Abdul Rahman Park - End June 13

Post Number:#2  Postby jinster » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Nice write up along with your dive com charts and GPS route. How did you generate the GPS route? Can you do that with the D6i?
jinster
Diver
Diver

Re: Tunku Abdul Rahman Park - End June 13

Post Number:#3  Postby run » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:53 pm

jinster actually those line was not GPS route. I use google earth to locate the island.
I Print screen the images and paste on to my excel document.
Then i draw using xcel my dive route. it was kinda easy since we were doing the dive along the slope of the island.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 20

Return to Local Destinations