MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Redang or Perhentian

Redang or Perhentian

Trip reports, resort reviews and questions about Malaysian destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Redang or Perhentian

Post Number:#1  Postby Capt.Scubin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:23 am

Which is the best between Redang or Perhentian for diving in June? I hope to see black tip sharks, nice corals and nice underwater landscapes. Might even consider Tenggol.
Also any recommendations for where to stay. Thanks
Capt.Scubin
Diver
Diver

Topic author
Topics: 1

Re: Redang or Perhentian

Post Number:#2  Postby gavstang » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 am

All the above islands have much to offer although since you didnt mention macro or photography Id recommend Redang over Perhentian. Perhentian only really has 3-4 divesites that are any good chief amongst which are T3 and my favourite.. Tokong Laut. Sugar Wreck would be nice if viz were better but on the 2 occasions I was there, viz was pretty bad. Redang has really good diving although any sightings of any kind of shark are best left to chance. For an adrenaline rush, go to Black Coral Garden at PUlau Lima and visit the resident Giant Barracuda...it is a scary looking fella man...its renowned for being unafraid of divers and will circle divers continuously coming close to check you out...I personally love Tenggol, great macro and pretty pristine as its not as popular as Perhentian or Redang. Deepest dive sites of the lot as well. Routinely 20m and more most dive sites. If you decide on Redang..you will need to ask yourself if you prefer the noise and hive of activity at Redang Long Beach..if you do then you can check out Redang Pelangi but if you really want some seclusion and awesome dive experiences, stay at Redang Kalong. Its a PADI 5 star IDC and Resort, you dont need to carry any of your tanks as they are carried for you to the boat, you just assemble your gear on the boat. Food is good and AB and Tim Lee (the owners) are awesome..knowledgeable, funny and always willing to teach although you will have to get used to their particular kind of ascerbic wit and sarcasm! If you stay at Kalong, get the seaview chalets..limited rooms but worth it for the views.
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#3  Postby run » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:04 pm

black tips? Try dusk and dawn dives. When not many boats around. no guarantee though.

Coral formation :-
Tokong laut, perhentian
Batu layar, perhentian
Paku kecil, redang
Pulau lima, redang
terumbu kili, redang

Rocky formation:-
T3, perhentian
Tunnel Point, redang
most of tenggol dive sites with initial Tokongs.

Gavstang that baracuda is MEAN! Heard the story from a fren how it was like a swords fight scene with the creature.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#4  Postby gavstang » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:19 pm

run wrote:
Gavstang that baracuda is MEAN! Heard the story from a fren how it was like a swords fight scene with the creature.

Damn straight bro..it was darn scary and surreal when I encountered that barracuda..I was lagging behind the main group as usual as I was snapping away, I heard lots of tank banging up ahead but since there had been so many false alarms before I didnt really pay attention. When I finally looked up, this big boy swam straight past my head! Talk about a surprise! Initially I was super excited and started taking video, but after the barracuda made its 4th-5th pass around us I started to get a little nervous...the last straw was when we saw it come up behind one of our divers and literally nibble on her fin..wat the heck! DM aso freaked out! So we started to swim away...and thats when I saw it come in real close to 2 divers who were straggling behind...thats when I thought..habis man...thankfully one of them had the presence of mind to use his octo to purge air bubbles at it and it swam away...

There have been loads of stories abt this chap at Black Coral Garden although thankfully no one has actually been attacked..its probably curious but when you look at its size and the razor sharp teeth you cant help wishing he wasnt so curious.
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#5  Postby run » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:31 pm

i bet the baracuda look at our pointer as if looking at a tooth pick. That is no curious baracuda. I know that the creature really get excited when it saw our shining tanks.
I guess that spot is his/her domain. Trespasser are to be bitten or slap by its mighty tail ^:)^
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Return to Local Destinations