MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Pulau Pulau Sembilan 21st Oct 2012

Pulau Pulau Sembilan 21st Oct 2012

Trip reports, resort reviews and questions about Malaysian destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Pulau Pulau Sembilan 21st Oct 2012

Post Number:#1  Postby gavstang » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:49 am

As promised, a short report on the dives at P9 yesterday.

Woke up at 630am to have my coffee and do the normal business.

My dive buddy was supposed to pick me up at 7am but by 715am there was still no sign of him.  Bad news..Called his mobile and its off.  Darn...dont have his house no or gf's no so I decide to drive myself and leave him an sms.

740am:  Dive buddy calls in panic..having woken up late!  Assure him and tell him to make his own way to the jetty.  Was supposed to meet up with the other divers at Pusing for breakfast but they have alr left.  Starving! 

845am:  Reach the boatyard at Titi Panjang, Lumut.  Note:  We are not diving with a dive center and the boat is privately owned and run by a local from Sitiawan who also provides the tanks and the lunch.  The boat is not big prob at most a 40 ft fishing boat..its not a proper dive boat.  With 4 spearfishermen, 6 divers and 2 boatmen on board its quite a a squeeze.

910am:  Depart boatyard and I dont even bother gearing up yet..there is too little space and I cant be bothered fighting for space to gear up. 

940am:  1st dive @ White Rock.  Beautiful sunny day.  Water is slightly choppy and looking in, the viz is not encouraging.  After gearing up, we enter the water together and make our descent.  As we thought, water is terribly murky and viz is at best 2m..Descend to around 15m and then after proceeding for around 5m, we round a bend descend till about 23m and voila!  Miraculously, viz has improved to almost 5m which is decent for p9.  Mild-strong current and occasionally we had to grab onto rocks to prevent getting swept off the reef.  Not many fish at White Rock today, the large schools of yellow tails were absent and only saw a couple of short nose boxfish.  Viz was still too bad to spot any macro..No nudis spotted at all.  After around 45 mins we went up.

11.15am:  2nd dive at Black Rock.  Still bright and sunny but water was choppy and surface currents looked strong.  Prob with everyone gearing up at different times is that we couldnt do a negative descent so whilst a few of us were waiting in the water for the others to come in, the surface current started sweeping us away from the island.  Just trying to fin back closer to the island was tiring.  Finally when we were all together, we descended together.  Viz was atrocious.  1-2 m at most, I looked up and could still see the other descending.  I paused to check my spg and the next thing I knew I only saw 1 other diver who was not my buddy and the rest of them had vanished!  Tried searching for them but viz was too bad.  Signalled the other diver to stick close and we attempted to continue our dive and head towards the rocks. At this point we were at aroudn 18m. Very strong currents encountered, couldnt see any rocks or anything to orient ourselves.  Checked dive comp and saw that we were caught in a down current albeit a mild one as we were suddenly at 23m and going down.  Decided to abort the dive.  Basically wasted 14 minutes fighting current and losing my buddies.

On surface, saw we had been pushed out quite far by the currents and there would have been no chance for us to reach the island.  All other divers alr on boat.  Climbed up and since my buddy and I were still geared up and our SPG's indicated we still had 150bar we got the boat to take us nearer this time and jumped in close to the island.  This time, viz was better at about 3-5m.  Descended to about a maximum depth of 24m and then ascended to aroudn 11m to have a look around.  Scattered fishes with some anemone fish, squirrel fish, small snappers and some local trevallys known as ikan talang.  Strong surge, current was coming in wierd directions.  When we got tired we just hung on to some rocks to experience the current.  Extremely strong currents depending on the surge and the currents seemed to be coming from every direction  and there was even a washing machine effect at one point.  Fish were frantically finning  everywhere.  Finally we just let go and drifted away for a nice drift dive and then ascended.  Fun dive!

12.15pm:  LUNCH!  Lovely nasi lemak and some brilliant shark curry..mmmm.  Had ikan tangkal sashimi and barracuda sashimi, followed by steamed sotong and prawns.  Finally, deep fried yellow tail and some other fishes I didnt recognise.

2pm:  Final dive..so sleepy after lunch.  Pulau Saga.  Viz good here.  About 5m-10m.  Mild-strong current.  Some nice drift diving.  Loads of fish at this site!  Schools of yellow tail.  A HUGE giant puffer fish and even a number of porcupine fish. 

4.30pm:  Get back to boatyard, wash and rinse all the gear and finally drive back to Ipoh after a short but fun excursion in p9.
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author
Topics: 2

Re: Pulau Pulau Sembilan 21st Oct 2012

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:00 am

short, brief, detailed. Good info and experience :D
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby decimal86 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:11 pm

thks for that report, exciting dive bro!
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#4  Postby gavstang » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:23 pm

THks guys..it was fun eventhough viz wasnt great..
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby decimal86 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 am

sometimes the company you keep makes even a so-so dive feel shiok. good for you man
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#6  Postby gavstang » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:34 pm

You hit the nail on its head there bro...I cant speak for everyone else but for me, diving is only as good as the company you are with. 
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby gavstang » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:15 pm

Another P9 dive yesterday.  Waters were so murky it was like mud water.  Thankfully no current but the viz really was horrendous.  1-2 m at most.  Interestingly, one of the spear fishermen was not using a BC to dive but instead was using a scubatank back pack.  It was the first time Id seen one up close.  The idea of no form of flotation seems rather risky to me but hey, to each his own eh? 

The pics will give you an idea how bad the viz was.  The pic of my buddy deploying the SMB was done at 5m where the sun was shining brightly.  The other pic was taken at 8m and the difference is palpable.  Finally, tht bloke with the cheesy grin in front of White Rock is me.
Attachments
p9a.jpg
p9b.jpg
p9c.jpg
p9d.jpg
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby run » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Gavstang ..do be careful ya diving with the spearfishers.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#9  Postby gavstang » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Will do Run, but they are usually at a different area..they swim in strong currents we swim near the reef
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby Steven » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:44 am

gavstang wrote:Interestingly, one of the spear fishermen was not using a BC to dive but instead was using a scubatank back pack.  It was the first time Id seen one up close.  The idea of no form of flotation seems rather risky to me but hey, to each his own eh? 

thanks for the report.

My AOW instructor used only an aluminum back plate to hook his tank and he has perfect buoyancy.
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#11  Postby gavstang » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:15 am

Diving P9 again tomorrow!  Praying for better viz this time round!
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby Supsondiver » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:57 am

gavstang wrote:Diving P9 again tomorrow!  Praying for better viz this time round!

Decent lah 2nd time around ;) at least can see a bit of stuff.
Supsondiver
Diver
Diver

Return to Local Destinations